Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #61
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Default Re: Car Sales Feb. 2016

Toyotas rep is so good they could release a horse and cart and it would probably make the top ten. Its going to take a very long time or something drastic to take them down.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #62
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
Parts for Falcons will be as available as ANY current car. But at least you stuck with Ford.
That is true but based on parts availability for a now small volume selling locally manufactured 'shot duck' as opposed to a globally made product, I erred on the side of caution and went with the latter...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #63
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Toyotas rep is so good they could release a horse and cart and it would probably make the top ten. Its going to take a very long time or something drastic to take them down.
Even one of their furnaces blowing up in January didnt slow them down!!!
Old 05-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #64
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
That is true but based on parts availability for a now small volume selling locally manufactured 'shot duck' as opposed to a globally made product, I erred on the side of caution and went with the latter...
Fair enough. You stayed with the brand.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #65
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Toyota have a massive advertising budget(& have had for years.) that jingle "Oh What a Feeling", "backbone" of their advertising,they have had(in my opinion) had the Aus public "brainwashed" for years into believing their cars are "Unbreakable". And guess what? Got everybody "hooked".You only have to look at there ongoing sales performance year in year out, it never wavers.Now if only Ford could....
Old 05-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #66
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
This is how I feel, which is why I have nothing positive to say about them. In their current state they are an absolute disgrace to what they once were.
They should write a book - 101 of how to ruin your brand image, alienate your customers and run your business into the ground. It would be a best seller.
tempted,

Most of the regulars on these forums understand that you are bitter and twisted at Ford for ceasing production of y(our) beloved Falcon (lord knows you tell us enough!). Just because we hear you doesn't mean we agree with you. Some of us have accepted something that is beyond our control (now, although some may argue it is our own fault that it is occurring) and have moved on.

I just don't see what value you add to any of these threads (it happens every month in the "VFacts for xxxx" thread, plus any other thread where a Ford product is reviewed). Just as we may not change your views, you are not likely to change ours. Accept the differences between us and move on.

Funnily enough, I don't know whether you've seen the title of this forum, but it actually reads 'Australian Ford Forums' and therefore its likely that most people on here are going to be pro Ford. Surprise, surprise!!

If you don't like the arguing, then why are you here? You've made your point, now stop ruining any thread that discusses a Ford product and let us bathe in the glory of everything that is Ford (even if you think we are delusional)!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #67
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There you have it. 4 months of gains. The strategy appears to be working. To confirm you'd look at it maybe like a stock chart, and note rising sales above (an eventually upsloping) 30 week moving average over a period of time. As it is, the charts (save: Ranger) point into lows at present.

It would be interesting, seeing that perhaps the bottom is in, to compare with the fortunes of Mitsi post-domestic closure. Maybe VW won't get to overtake Ford in Australia after all?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #68
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
There you have it. 4 months of gains. The strategy appears to be working. To confirm you'd look at it maybe like a stock chart, and note rising sales above (an eventually upsloping) 30 week moving average over a period of time. As it is, the charts (save: Ranger) point into lows at present.

It would be interesting, seeing that perhaps the bottom is in, to compare with the fortunes of Mitsi post-domestic closure. Maybe VW won't get to overtake Ford in Australia after all?
It's an interesting question. The chart below looks at Mitsubishi sales from 1999 to now. The red marker at March 2008 is the end of local manufacturing in Australia.

Bit hard to see from that graph but as a rough guide, the average monthly sales between Jan 1999 and March 2008 (111 months) had been 5,440 and the average since then (95 months) has been 5,333

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #69
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Some guys on here need a new hobby or has Joshua Dowling got multi forum names in here. .....

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #70
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lol, if this is what you call 'doing really well' then I shudder to think what it would be like if they were doing badly.
a 32% increase in one year for a mature market is a good result!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #71
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
They are seeing BIG gains in customer service ratings so are setting themselves up for long term repeat business.
Where are you getting this information from?
Old 05-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #72
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets put this in perspective..if Ranger wasnt doing so well, sales would be abysmal..Ford has a lot to thank the Ranger for,,,,,,
Old 05-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #73
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Tha above graph is telling, Ford announced their departure in May 2013, the major contributors to their sales figures at the time, the cars that Australians were actually buying, Fiesta, Focus Teritory all take a nose dive.

I said it then and ill say it now, by leaving our shores they turned their back on Australians and will forever be seen as the catalyst for the closure of our auto manufacturing industry, they flinched first, that is why Ford are stuffed.

The reasons for it matter little, the public were burnt and have voted with their wallets.

I love Falcons and i love Aussies building cars, thats it.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #74
dmat2391
the average bloke

@ CSV8 good thing it was designed here then...just like the falcon was.

At least it's a start and lets face it the only peaple making money now are tradesmen and bankers so targeting tradesmen is not a stupid move.luckely I'm a Trady
dmat2391 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #75
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
From my perspective it is extremely disappointing to have a brand which I do "love", which I have followed since the late 1960's, which I own a piece of, to have fallen so far and become a miserable shadow if it's former glory. Look at the charts, the disaster hasn't happened overnight, what were the Ford management team doing during this time?
Who give's a **** what management was doing 3, 5, 10 years ago to get us to this point? We can't change it now, it's happened, we can only look at what management are doing now.. Ford isn't going to turn the ship around over night. Considering Ford has had 8-9 years of straight sales decreases, the fact we are currently enjoying double digit grow this year, should be good news for all Ford fans & might just be the sign that says "the ship has turned".. It took years to get here & will take years to get back.. People expecting sales topping sales in each segment are dreaming, profitable market share gains aren't made over night!!
Old 05-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #76
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Lets put this in perspective..if Ranger wasnt doing so well, sales would be abysmal..Ford has a lot to thank the Ranger for,,,,,,
And let's add to your perspective and say ..but Ranger is doing well and being an internationally sold vehicle will have more money spent on it then the last 4 Falcon's ever had. More new vehicles are coming with direct Ford Aust involvement in those OS divsions as we type. Falcon is in a segment where the AU model Falcon sales numbers total more then the whole of the current segment and that boat has sailed for local production for Ford, GM and Toyota. By switching to fully imported models Ford Aust doesn't have to price protect the local models or their production. I'm desperately sorry for those employees and wish them the best. I actually came home as a newborn in an XP Falcon and have had local Ford vehicles in my family for over 50 years. I'm more angry about speed limits dropping in the streets/roads I've driven on for over 32 years and the fact what took 3 hours of driving 10 years ago now take 4+ if there is no incident on Melbourne's roads.

I don't know how Edge is doing in the UK but visit the UK Ford website to see the specs being offered now. It's not a 7 seater but the China model is so who knows what might occur.

And getting back on topic, big thanks to Russellw for the info. It always makes me feel deluded when I read them.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #77
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you have no problem with them then why do you continually bleat the same rhetoric in every post you make?

I have to thank you, I've been doing our end of month accounts all day and you've made it end on a laugh.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #78
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
I must disagree here. Our recent new car purchase precluded the Falcon for this very reason. As a one-eyed Ford supporter, I still could not justify buying a new Falcon based on an unknown availability of parts needed in future. The Territory was far to large for our needs, hence we settled for a Kuga, something that is available globally and will not suffer a shortage of spare parts any time soon...

I would have loved to have bought Australian, but have not regretted buying the Kuga...
Again, they stop making models all the time. The only difference is there won't be another Falcon (with different parts) to chuck a badge on. Parts will remain plentiful, AU parts are easy as to find and that's 14 years later. Same with an EF/ EL and that's getting on 20 years.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #79
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Again, they stop making models all the time. The only difference is there won't be another Falcon (with different parts) to chuck a badge on. Parts will remain plentiful, AU parts are easy as to find and that's 14 years later. Same with an EF/ EL and that's getting on 20 years.
AU and EF sold in much higher numbers than current models. Aftermarket will look after parts in the long term as customer base is still significant. There are advantages to world model cars as you can order parts from anywhere in the world

Last edited by SumoDog68; 05-03-2016 at 07:45 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2016, 07:42 PM   #80
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Yes but parts supply for a doomed model that sells in the low hundreds each month on the local stage are not going to be anywhere as plentiful as parts for a model that sells on a global market. I could be wrong but I am willing to bet on that being the case...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #81
stig_3754

Quote:
If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle too.
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2016, 03:07 AM   #82
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
NX74205.."Right, so it beat the cheaper Fortuner, but lost to the more expensive Prado. Ergo, the Everest is not expensive enough .." OK so why isnt the Everest selling ???? If its cheaper then it should be selling close to Prado sales, but its way behind???? Why????
How many of those sales are fleet sales? How many of those are the base GX for which Ford have no direct competitor? Where is your evidence to suggest that it should be selling close to Prado sales if it were cheaper, considering that the Everest is already cheaper than the Prado?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Ford sold more EF Falcons in a month during its cycle than it does its entire fleet now, in a booming market for new vehicle sales.

Yeah, everythings peachy...
Those were the days when every man and his dog bought a Falcon or Commodore; when Hyundai were cheap and nasty; when SUVs weren't as plentiful as they are now; when small cars were in fact tinny, unsafe and gutless. Those days are gone, competition has increased, and people don't buy large sedans anymore.

No, everything is not peachy, but a 32% increase in sales is a positive outcome, stop turning it into a negative.

Quote:
FORD need a new advertising/management team. That dolly bird spruiking 1.9% does nothing. Everest ad, when its on is good. But, February Prado outsold Everest 3 to 1. Ford must be worried..There is every night at least 4 Corolla ads, and where is Corolla in sales?? in top 3!!! if not number 1..As much as I love Ford, I have two, apart from the i20..Ford need a major shake up....
Here you go, bleating on about ads again. Do people even watch free to air TV these days? I see plenty of ads online. It's the 21st century now, and Ford have moved with the times. Just because some people are living in the 90s doesn't mean Ford should stay there.

Quote:
I said it then and ill say it now, by leaving our shores they turned their back on Australians and will forever be seen as the catalyst for the closure of our auto manufacturing industry, they flinched first, that is why Ford are stuffed.
Interesting revisionist history there. Ford aren't the first manufacturer to cease manufacturing in Australia. Renault, VW, Nissan, Chrysler and Mitsubishi are just some of the brands that used to build cars here, but don't anymore.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #83
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
NX74205.."Right, so it beat the cheaper Fortuner, but lost to the more expensive Prado. Ergo, the Everest is not expensive enough .." OK so why isnt the Everest selling ???? If its cheaper then it should be selling close to Prado sales, but its way behind???? Why????
There is no way Everest is going to "outsell" Prado "straight out of the box" from day one of release( how long did it takes Ranger to catch Hilux?) 5 Years! It has to "build" it's presence in the market.These things do NOT "happen overnight!
Old 06-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #84
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NX74250.."Here you go, bleating on about ads again. Do people even watch free to air TV these days? I see plenty of ads online. It's the 21st century now, and Ford have moved with the times. Just because some people are living in the 90s doesn't mean Ford should stay there." Have you seen how many ads other car companies have on free to air ? Lots!!
Audi, BMW, Lexus, Toyota, Holden, Nissan etc etc etc every night. If free to air didnt work, they wouldnt advertise!!!!!
Old 06-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #85
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Interesting revisionist history there. Ford aren't the first manufacturer to cease manufacturing in Australia. Renault, VW, Nissan, Chrysler and Mitsubishi are just some of the brands that used to build cars here, but don't anymore.
Umm, yes that is true, but the fact is, even with the more recent closure of Mitsubishi the ripple effect didnt hurt the smaller suppliers as having the big 3 still manufacturing meant they could stay viable, when Ford pulled the pin it left them unable to stay afloat.
I also said at the time that due to Fords decision it would force the hand of the other two which it has done and a lot of that is due to an unsustainable parts suppy situation.

Wether you like to admit it or not, Fords decision was the last nail in the coffin.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #86
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Umm, yes that is true, but the fact is, even with the more recent closure of Mitsubishi the ripple effect didnt hurt the smaller suppliers as having the big 3 still manufacturing meant they could stay viable, when Ford pulled the pin it left them unable to stay afloat.
I also said at the time that due to Fords decision it would force the hand of the other two which it has done and a lot of that is due to an unsustainable parts suppy situation.

Wether you like to admit it or not, Fords decision was the last nail in the coffin.
I disagree Bent, yes Ford was the first of the 'last three' to jump, but the program cycle meant either billion dollar investments needed to be made, or the plug pulled.

If the product cycles' between Holden and Ford were slightly different, maybe it would have been Holden going 'first' and not Ford.

Australia manufacturers' firstly needed volumes that would sustain 3 assembly plants with local volume (exports on top of that).

We are too far away from where the other export opportunities are, and our cost base is too high for exports to Asia.

If we had an economy supporting 100 million people then maybe things would have turned out differently ( in this global, free trade, world economy ).

It doesn't cost much to bring a car in to Australia on a car carrier, it costs a lot to maintain an assembly and supplier base infrastructure and to retool every 7 years. Especially if competing plants in Asia are being heavily subsidised by Goverments, have cheap labour, and the Australian government allows the most competitive industry in the world to exists here.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #87
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
I disagree Bent, yes Ford was the first of the 'last three' to jump, but the program cycle meant either billion dollar investments needed to be made, or the plug pulled.

If the product cycles' between Holden and Ford were slightly different, maybe it would have been Holden going 'first' and not Ford.
Right, so because Ford didnt want to spend the money to go beyond FGX they bailed, that doesnt explain why Holden and Toyota have followed.
The Commodore on its current platform could continue well past 2017, so too could the Camry/Aurion, if it were about product cycles they would continue until both needed $$ spent but they havent, why.

Could it be because the little guy cant survive with their numbers alone...
Old 06-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #88
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Right, so because Ford didnt want to spend the money to go beyond FGX they bailed, that doesnt explain why Holden and Toyota have followed.
The Commodore on its current platform could continue well past 2017, so too could the Camry/Aurion, if it were about product cycles they would continue until both needed $$ spent but they havent, why.

Could it be because the little guy cant survive with their numbers alone...
Yes, and the crunch came for Holden with their reducing volumes.

The three locals if combined might just have enough volume for one assembly plant, but wouldn't be enough to support the local supplier base.

Profitable assembly plants overseas are pumping out over 200,000 units per annum. Production for the 3 locals - combined - was 167,000 in 2015. Break even for a lean plant ( including R&D and tooling ), is seldom less than 80,000 units. Even the money being pumped into the locals couldn't offset these facts.

The number of local suppliers that went broke prior to any closure announcement would surprise you, and the local manufacturers had already off shored a lot of their content - that was increasing.

The local industry was doomed - the numbers didn't make sense. Holden and Toyota would have gone anyway. Ford blinked ...
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #89
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Ford blinked ...
Yes, yes they did.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #90
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, and the crunch came for Holden with their reducing volumes.

The three locals if combined might just have enough volume for one assembly plant, but wouldn't be enough to support the local supplier base.

Profitable assembly plants overseas are pumping out over 200,000 units per annum. Production for the 3 locals - combined - was 167,000 in 2015. Break even for a lean plant ( including R&D and tooling ), is seldom less than 80,000 units. Even the money being pumped into the locals couldn't offset these facts.

The number of local suppliers that went broke prior to any closure announcement would surprise you, and the local manufacturers had already off shored a lot of their content - that was increasing.

The local industry was doomed - the numbers didn't make sense. Holden and Toyota would have gone anyway. Ford blinked ...
For a company to remain "viable" & profitable it has to produce a "Minimum" of 100,000 unit's per annum.( & that is Worldwide) so the number's that you are quoting are fairly close to the mark.Commodore by itself could only manage around 22,000 unit's up until the 3rd quarter last year.(Makes Falcon look "dismal" to say the least.)The "Big" three have been on "notice" since the "Button" plan in the eighties under the Hawke/Keating gov't.Clearly they did not move with the time's,they only have themselves to blame.(When you leave Toyota,don't forget to switch the light's out.)Australia is closed for local manufacturing for a very long time.Sad, but how true.:(:(