Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite type of football?
Australian Rules 104 37.14%
Rugby League 75 26.79%
Rugby Union 30 10.71%
Soccer 47 16.79%
None of the above/I don't care about sport 24 8.57%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #61
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so you judge a game by how 'tough' you are. By your logic then cricket is a shirt lifters game??

Oh and I would challenge ANY league player to take on Vinnie Jones!!!
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #62
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF, What else?
Well as a law student, I must say your case is extremely weak and is easily picked apart. Tell me, what is the max of phases reached consecutively in a game, 7 or 8 if your lucky, the average? 3 or 4 at the most
Well as a forensic science student my dicks bigger than yours.
I'd take "7 or 8 if im lucky" better than a max guaranteed 5 (if you're lucky), 10 if you're very lucky...
You need to watch more union aswell... I've seen dozens of games, some getting up to 18/19/20 phases with some great tries as results.
I took legal aswell, want a cookie?
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 07:53 PM   #63
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

uh oh, this is getting dangerous.......
Old 13-06-2006, 07:54 PM   #64
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I though AFL would be a clear winner on the Poll & with the Soccer world cup on @ the moment i knew it would be popular as its a great game. But AFL & that one Saturday in September you cant beat that. If i can only choose one code AFL 4me.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 07:54 PM   #65
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apart from that it is an extremely boring sport. I'm not talking out of my a*** here I've been there and done that. Perhaps if I have never played the sport I would not have the right to comment.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 07:55 PM   #66
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Apart from that it is an extremely boring sport. I'm not talking out of my here I've been there and done that. Perhaps if I have never played the sport I would not have the right to comment.

Yes you are right, last nights game was sooooooo boring. :
Old 13-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #67
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR David
Oh, sorry i forgot AFL, the game only played in one country. It is a fair game though. The only game in the world wher if you try really really hard and miss the goal then they give a point for trying.

Poor little boy missed, better give him a point before he cries.... e
Thats a classic. It's almost as good as the team bonding at Coffs Harbour and all the rape allegations. Nothing like a real mans sport. Aye. Get in there and do it as a team. Good stuff.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #68
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes you are right, last nights game was sooooooo boring. :
Each to their own I suppose. I never saw the game, and had no interest in it. I was doing far better things :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #69
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rugby league- mans game eh

this is from Foxsports today

Moimoi to plead not guilty
PARRAMATTA prop Fuifui Moimoi will plead not guilty tonight when he appears at the NRL judiciary charged with biting Melbourne's Brett White. :

how very manly
Old 13-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #70
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Each to their own I suppose. I never saw the game, and had no interest in it. I was doing far better things :

Shame the other 20,000,000 Australians and 2 billion world wide watched it. They were all so bored. :

So what were you doing at one in the morning by yourself??? :Reverend:
Old 13-06-2006, 08:02 PM   #71
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
so you judge a game by how 'tough' you are. By your logic then cricket is a shirt lifters game??
You obvoiusly dont have a clue about cricket with a comment like that.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 08:03 PM   #72
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You obvoiusly dont have a clue about cricket with a comment like that.

Please read again. This is not MY logic. It appears to be that other clowns logic

I happen to love cricket. It is a game of skill and tactics.

Unlike certain players in certain other sports, who should have stayed in the jungle
Old 13-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #73
NA XR6
!!

Quote:
Rugby league- mans game eh

this is from Foxsports today

Moimoi to plead not guilty
PARRAMATTA prop Fuifui Moimoi will plead not guilty tonight when he appears at the NRL judiciary charged with biting Melbourne's Brett White. :

how very manly
That has nothing to do with the game
Idiots in every code
NRL seems to have alot more at the moment :
But i still love NRL :
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 08:05 PM   #74
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA XR6
That has nothing to do with the game
Idiots in every code
NRL seems to have alot more at the moment :
But i still love NRL :
Also on foxsports today
QUEENSLAND Cup rugby league club, the Central Comets, has launched an investigation into player behaviour for the second time in as many weeks. :
Old 13-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #75
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Please read again. This is not MY logic. It appears to be that other clowns logic

I happen to love cricket. It is a game of skill and tactics.

Unlike certain players in certain other sports, who should have stayed in the jungle
Fair enough sounded like were calling cricket a "soft" sport.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #76
Ren
Starter Motor

I love playing Soccer (well, used to love kicking a ball around at school) and I'd get into it but the others would run rings around my slow !! haha. I would watch it a whole lot more if there were an Aussie tournament (not too far off eh?) and I followed the last World Cup and I am this time as well. As for the English league; I just find it boring to watch some pommy teams from places I don't know I guess. C'mon Aussies! Hopefully a good Socceroos result this year will spark a bit more commercial interest in the game here.

Being bred a Country NSW boy, I can enjoy a good game of rugby league as well..I support the Blues with passion every year!! (tough when you're this far from the border, on the WRONG side!).. but that's about as far as my interest extends. I go to Cowboys home games from time to time, but that's pretty much because I don't like Basketball at all and there's nothing else here.

After being a league fan, rugby union is just a dog's breakfast IMO.

And AFL, well it looks interesting and I'd probably enjoy it more if I understood the rules... :

so now that you know my life story.... haha.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 08:08 PM   #77
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose the difference between league and soccer.
After last nights game this was lucas neill

Even at 1-0 down at half-time we still believed that we had the ability and we had the right game-plan to beat them and we knew it could chop and change at any time."

After last years grand final in the NRL, the players interviewed on the pitch were f.. this and f... great mate.

all class :
Old 13-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #78
NA XR6
!!

Quote:
I suppose the difference between league and soccer.
After last nights game this was lucas neill

Even at 1-0 down at half-time we still believed that we had the ability and we had the right game-plan to beat them and we knew it could chop and change at any time."

After last years grand final in the NRL, the players interviewed on the pitch were f.. this and f... great mate.

all class :
That is the problem you are correct
That alot of soccer (not all) fans think they are so much better than everyone else
stuck up f....s :thebirds:

Go the socceroos
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #79
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Aussie Rules
Old 13-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #80
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have no doubt whatsover if I trained hard enough I could get myself to a decent enough level to compete
The main attribute needed to succeed in soccer is the art of acting. Watching them take blatantly obvious "dives" makes my skin crawl.
Quote:
But fact of the matter is, I prefer playing RL, far more enjoyable, and satisfying.
Same here my fellow league mate. I played, coached and managed and now I enjoy watching my 12 y/o playing Rugby League - The Greatest Game of All
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #81
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
Well as a forensic science student my dicks bigger than yours.
I'd take "7 or 8 if im lucky" better than a max guaranteed 5 (if you're lucky), 10 if you're very lucky...
You need to watch more union aswell... I've seen dozens of games, some getting up to 18/19/20 phases with some great tries as results.
I took legal aswell, want a cookie?
Mate, don't bring your pin dick into this, my point of being a law student is that your argument was pathetic. What's the point of mentioning that your a forensic science student, do you want my contact details when people start suing your as your an arrogant *****? WOW, dozens of games, god help us all, to bad there have been THOUSANDS of games played
Old 13-06-2006, 08:42 PM   #82
CongoAU2
AYE YOU

Think of soccer in Australia if this were to happen. Would make a lot of people a lot of money and make a lot of sense if Eddie Maguire were to actually Listen. This Was Posted On www.footballnews.com.au a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe Eddie is considering this given that Harry kewell will be giving exclusive interviews to Channel 9 during the world cup and the Footy show will be going to Germany.……...

Memo to Eddie McGuire
Phill Chadwick pens a heartfelt plea to the new CEO of Channel 9: Why not replace AFL with A-League?

To: Mr E.McGuire, The Chief Executive, Channel Nine Network
Subject: Football Coverage on Channel Nine

In light of the recent disappointing result for your network in the bidding for AFL Television rights, I would like to propose an alternative strategy to re-gain Channel Nine's position as the number one Sports broadcaster in this country.
I am aware that the $780 million that your network had bid for the AFL rights was highly dependent on that code's ability to attract advertising revenue. In addition, part of the cost would also have been offset by on-selling Pay TV rights to Foxtel and Austar.
Even so, there would have been a substantial investment from the Nine network for the establishment and operation of Outside Broadcast facilities around the nation; the considerable costs of coordination and production of the televising of eight matches every weekend.
Since Channels Ten and Seven have now secured the AFL rights for at least the next five years , you should see this as an opportunity to exploit the growing A-League Football market.
Putting aside your own personal interest in the Collingwood Football Club, I would like you to consider the following:
A-League Football has proven, beyond all expectations, to have been a success in its first season. A-League crowds have exceeded 10,000 on average over the season. This support will grow in coming years if carefully nurtured.
Foxtel are reported to be delighted with their ratings results. There is no free to air coverage other than a brief weekly mention on SBS and snippets in news services.
Australian Football is now integrated into the Asian market, the biggest growth market on the planet. Channel Nine could tap into that market and ride the growth in revenue it offers. Channel Nine's position as an acknowledged innovator in Sports broadcasting makes it uniquely placed to enter strategic partnerships with Asian broadcasters.
When, in 2007, Australian teams are competing in the Asian Champions' League, millions of television sets will be tuned to those games. For Australian advertisers wishing to make an impact in Asia, what better vehicle could there be. AFL football, being limited primarily to the Southern States of our own small market can never offer that sort of exposure.
I am sure you have already considered the fact that any AFL coverage that Channel Nine produces (eg The Footy Show, Any Given Sunday, etc) will only serve to generate more interest in the games being televised by your competitors.
This, of course, delivers additional ratings to Channels Ten and Seven. Every time someone watches a Channel Nine AFL programme they are more likely to turn to AFL football on Channel Ten or Seven. Is that what you want?
Admittedly A-Leage football is currently of limited appeal to the bulk of the Australian audience. But on the other hand, Harry Kewell would probably be more widely recognised throughout the whole of Australia than, say, Shane Crawford. How much more stark would that comparison be if it were made in Japan, or Indonesia?
Now is the time to act. Bill Gates became a billionaire by getting in at the beginning of a huge growth industry. Likewise, Henry Ford was astute enough to get in early and ride the growth of the Automobile industry.
The success of the A-League in its first season is proof that the potential is there. There is no historical or cultural barrier to its penetration of the whole of Australia. Participation rates for school-age children already outstrip AFL and NRL and are rising.
Tap into that interest in the sport among teenagers and young adults. The growth of AFL and NRL, on the other hand, is severely constrained by regional differences.
My vision is for Channel Nine to take some of the $780 million you were prepared to pay to the AFL and use it to create that buzz of excitement and interest that the late Mr Packer did with World Series Cricket in the 1970's. Mr Packer's legacy can be seen in every Cricket telecast worldwide.
Previously, it took the Socceroos to excite the Australian public about this sport. The old NSL had never managed to engage the public. Primarily, in my view, that was because the clubs were still identified with ethnic groupings. Once, (in broad terms) only people of Greek descent from Melbourne followed South Melbourne, or those of Italian descent from Adelaide followed Adelaide City.
That has changed. None of the eight A-League clubs has an ethnic background. Now, people of all backgrounds, including "Dinki-Di" Aussies, can feel that their local A-League club represents them. Importantly, those of British descent now have teams they feel comfortable supporting in the national competition.
There are four A-League matches per week. Here are my suggestions:
Show one match live, as the Match of the Week and show extensive highlights of the others.
Develop several supporting formats.
A "Footy Show" clone, with personalities drawn from the A-League clubs and past players, for a light-hearted view of the League.
Have an in-depth analysis programme that takes the game seriously.
Have a kids show to introduce them to the players, the skills and the culture.
And how about a reality show following three or four young footballers in their first season as professionals?
This sort of programming strategy would cost a fraction of the AFL coverage and has the advantage of leading into the huge Asian markets. That sort of opportunity can never be offered by either the AFL, or the NRL.

:monkes:
CongoAU2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #83
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah Congo 2- if only Eddie was so smart. This would be a REAL winner

we can only wish.

But just because you have money, doesn't mean you have brains. Look at Russell Crowe putting money inot South in the League.
Old 13-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #84
willow 1
GT "BOSS 302" BUILD#581

Come on all you league fans,post your vote the poll is almost neck and neck!!!! :
TINT,K&N FILTER
YELLA TERRA TWIN PLANUM
PACEMAKER HEADERS
SPORTS EXHAUST...
JOHN BOWE RIMS - REAR 19X9.5 FRONT - 19X8.5...
willow 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #85
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow 1
Come on all you league fans,post your vote the poll is almost neck and neck!!!! :
Sorry Willow 1 , the league fans are all remembering the good old days. When the sport had a future.

:
Old 13-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #86
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Quote:
Ah Congo 2- if only Eddie was so smart. This would be a REAL winner

we can only wish.

But just because you have money, doesn't mean you have brains. Look at Russell Crowe putting money inot South in the League.
Passion mate, something you don't seem to understand
Old 13-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #87
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Passion mate, something you don't seem to understand

Passion eh. So the 100,000 fans all saying 'bring back souths' a few years ago are all so passionate that they go to all the games now. ahah. :
Old 13-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #88
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Quote:
Passion eh. So the 100,000 fans all saying 'bring back souths' a few years ago are all so passionate that they go to all the games now. ahah. :
As I was saying, something you don't seem to understand. Where the hell was I talking about the 100,000. I was talking about Crowe's love for his club. :
Old 13-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #89
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As I was saying, something you don't seem to understand. Where the hell was I talking about the 100,000. I was talking about Crowe's love for his club. :
You mean Crowes attempt to buy back the Australian public to save his failing career. (due to violence of course....)"Awww what a nice bloke

Remember don't miss tonight"s show "Russel Crowe fights around the world :
Old 13-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #90
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Quote:
You mean Crowes attempt to buy back the Australian public to save his failing career. (due to violence of course....)"Awww what a nice bloke

Remember don't miss tonight"s show "Russel Crowe fights around the world :
His failing career? Ahum, back it up buddy