Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 29-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #91
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO the biggest danger with de restricted roads would be the extreme speed differential between faster and slower vehicles and judging distances/road hazards, especially if you're not used to travelling well above 110kph......

Old 29-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #92
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
IMO the biggest danger with de restricted roads would be the extreme speed differential between faster and slower vehicles and judging distances/road hazards, especially if you're not used to travelling well above 110kph......
yes they should have a set minimum speed, or duel lane in both direction.
Old 29-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #93
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Agree totally with this statement thats where driver education and license testing needs to be improved accross the board in this country to reduce road carnage. (look again at germany ) Unrestricted roads should be multi-laned however on a long straight road like you would find in the NT you will see the spec getting closer and adjust your speed accordingly catch it and pass it with safety.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 29-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #94
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
This is only true to a point. Yes there can be big speed differentials. But the roads out here can yeild views of on-coming traffic, and traffic going in the same direction as you, by 5 kilometers or more. And given that I used to cruise at 180 to 200 kph (pre 2007) even a grey nomad pulling a caravan posed no issues. The remoteness and the extremely low numbers of cars on the roads gives a very strong sense of relaxation when cruising. If I have to slow down to overtake or do some other manouver, so be it. It may only happen twice on one day. But deristricted roads are only viable in few places in Australia. NT and parts of WA are two of the places that they would work, too many other places in Australia have crappy roads that could not support this freedom.

There is some very interesting facts being bourne from the NT experience. And it would seem that fatigue is becoming the biggest killer. My last trip from Borroloola proved this to me at least. Borroloola (King Ash Bay) was once an easy daylight trip. Last trip I found myself caught at sunset with about 200 ks left to run to the Alice. These 200 klms took me almost 4 hours to travel. NT roads and darkness are a bad combination. We all know why. When I got home I was totally stuffed... I have never had that problem when I could take responsibility for my own actions and speed on the open road.

Another anomaly that is emerging is the number of single car roll overs on the highways. These so far have all been 4x4's (troopies and the like), and not restricted to night time hours. We see more and more high axle vehicles travelling at the speed limit. Not at a safe speed. This was not an issue before 2007. So far, there is more and more evidence to suggest that the imposition of a speed limit has caused the loss of more lives than it has saved. And the differences in numbers cannot be ignored as being a statisical anomoly.

Last edited by Outbackjack; 29-11-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 29-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #95
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How on earth has lowering the speed limit killed more people????

lowering the limit in the cbd and the speed limit on open highways are two separate issues. you may not see anyone for 100+ kays out there. trying to focus on a straight stretch of road with white broken lines has an almost hypnotic effect if you dont vary your speed.

imo our road rules AND roads are 20 years behind the rest of the world in terms of speeds, quality, training etc.

the EU is trying to get the rules for road use to align across different countries, and we cant get them to align across states. supposedly they have been on the board for 15 years or so. ive seen turtles move faster.

and we keep getting the speed kills crap drummed into us

you and i both know dude that its only a small fraction of all road issues out there. yet what they keep telling us is that if we stick to the speed limit it will be safer. thats an outright lie, and thats why you are going to see more desctruction of these cameras.

hell i dont care if my rego goes up because of it. ill never advocate the destruction of one if its in a know blackspot. but when its on a 3 lane wide road at 3am pinging people for doing 63 in a 60 zone, go for it i say. because even if that camera is there and it catches someone doing 100 kph. it wont stop him from having an accident. only visible police cars on the road will slow some jerk like that down.
Old 29-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #96
MRJUCY
Fordless

Too funny, there definitely should be more of it.
Old 30-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #97
Hemicuda
IH8TOG

Speed cameras do not save lives IMO. They should only be used to determine if someone is driving dangerously over the limit constantly and fixed cameras should be mandatory on all 40 zones near schools, etc. They have created a paranoid driving attitude amongst the motoring community where people tend to drive at 10 below the speed limit and are even braking to 20 below approaching intersections with green lights. This causes confusion and frustration which is where many accidents and aggresive behaviour stems from. In the pre camera days, if you were caught speeding (in those days that meant about 15 - 20 over the limit for it to be worthwhile for a cop to intercept) the verbal reprimand is what stuck in your mind acting as the deterrent.
A background check would be done also on the spot and the situation assessed. With cameras, a complete idiot could get caught doing 50 or more over and in the time it takes to issue the fine in the mail he could have killed someone. Cameras are just a more cost effective and convenient way for our Gov't to police our roads. They could be used effectively but unfortunately the temptation is too great to use them as a revenue raiser.
Old 30-11-2008, 01:00 AM   #98
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

What does any of this have to do with a speed camera getting destroyed.

Nothing, that's what.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Closed Thread