Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2022, 09:38 PM   #91
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: The VACC wants the Victorian government to implement an annual rwc requirement for vehicles aged 8 ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yes, usually on club plates going to work.
I wouldn't mind licence testing every 5 years, a caravan lowing licence and no more Mom and Dad teaching Junior how to drive like them.
Seems like all the car accidents I see are usually s*it drivers in new lounge rooms.

I don't know about mum & dads being bad for teaching their own kids, but I think the driving school's instructors should be vetted more often, as I see many learners being instructed doing many wrong things on our roads and freeways, one pet hate I often see is failing to keep left and driving under the speed limit.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2022, 06:31 AM   #92
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The VACC wants the Victorian government to implement an annual rwc requirement for vehicles aged 8 ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Can you post a couple of these studies?
really????????? didn't you read the links I posted - or are you just trolling?
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2022, 08:17 AM   #93
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Ah yes the Mitsubishi Express L300 car club! They seem to hold their club events at the local waste transfer station once a month.
Not just Mitzi's. More recently been spotting lots of older Landcruisers and Patrols on club plates towing tools trailers and caravans.
Maybe Vic should follow NSW and up the age limit for Historic to 30 years.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2022, 09:46 AM   #94
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
really????????? didn't you read the links I posted - or are you just trolling?
I already said there was nothing in those links you posted, can't you read?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2022, 09:48 AM   #95
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ah yes the Mitsubishi Express L300 car club! They seem to hold their club events at the local waste transfer station once a month.
Plus a pool of oil in the Bunnings carpark
This user likes this post:
Old 23-11-2022, 04:09 PM   #96
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Plus a pool of oil in the Bunnings carpark
They don't use Detroit's.

2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2022, 04:13 PM   #97
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can you post a couple of these studies?
I don't think you are going to get any studies that will make statements like "whether a car goes to annual road worthy checks or not, will make no difference to road fatalities". So you'll need to read the stats yourself and make that determination.

I must admit, I'm surprised by the stats.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2022, 07:42 PM   #98
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I don't think you are going to get any studies that will make statements like "whether a car goes to annual road worthy checks or not, will make no difference to road fatalities". So you'll need to read the stats yourself and make that determination.

Trev's links covered it
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2022, 08:51 PM   #99
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I work in a car dealership. Our service department, like many others has been booked out every day for the past 3 years. Most of the local mechanics are the same. Quite a few refuse to take on new customers.
You couldn’t get a roadworthy done locally this year. If you booked in today you might get one in mid January. Some smaller brands dealerships are booked many many months in advance.

Now imagine if every car on the road needed to be checked. There simply isn’t the capacity in the industry as it stands today.

I’ve always supported the idea as I believe having a trained eye inspect our cars once a year is worthwhile. NSW cars are generally in better shape than Victorian cars. So the system obviously has merit.

But with the current extreme labour shortages now is simply not the time.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2022, 10:04 PM   #100
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I work in a car dealership. Our service department, like many others has been booked out every day for the past 3 years. Most of the local mechanics are the same. Quite a few refuse to take on new customers.
You couldn’t get a roadworthy done locally this year. If you booked in today you might get one in mid January. Some smaller brands dealerships are booked many many months in advance.

Now imagine if every car on the road needed to be checked. There simply isn’t the capacity in the industry as it stands today.

I’ve always supported the idea as I believe having a trained eye inspect our cars once a year is worthwhile. NSW cars are generally in better shape than Victorian cars. So the system obviously has merit.

But with the current extreme labour shortages now is simply not the time.
This is happening in anti-productive third world NZ right now with the equivalent of road worthiness for heavy vehicles which is every 6 months regardless of age.
Truck and trailer or double and prime mover, write the unit off the road for a week to allow for pre inspection, required repair work, inconsistent government sanctioned safety check, any further repair work they default the vehicle on, then re inspection.
Testing stations are overwhelmed and cannot cope, while many workshops are booked out for weeks.
A total farce, and a right headache for business especially small players who have the downtime while still having to pay a driver to stand around.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2022, 11:15 PM   #101
burnz
VFII SS UTE

with an RWC they also record the odometer, less worry buying a second hand.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2022, 08:10 AM   #102
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I already said there was nothing in those links you posted, can't you read?
and I said that the data is so negligible hence no reporting, it would be listed in the 'other' section. You can keep harping to see the data, but there is not even enough data for them to report on it - just give it up. You are on a losing streak.

Jesus Christ

Old 24-11-2022, 08:48 AM   #103
roKWiz
Cabover nut

When it comes to selling a Victorian car with rego its a lot tougher. Certainly worth buying a RWCertified car here.
The full long inspection, wheels off brake inspections, plenty of photos taken and this is just cars.

Old 25-11-2022, 11:09 AM   #104
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post

Yes I know, I posted earlier car fatalities are recorded as speeding or Drunk driving etec, im sure they do record that the car had Bald tyres contributing but its not soemthing the general public has accees too

My point is when I see posts like this Id like to see the source

"Less than 1% of all fatal and near fatal accidents are a result of an unroadworthy vehicle, it is ALWAYS other contributing factors, like speed, fatigue alcohol & drugs, distraction, etc"

Instead the bloke starts calling me a Troll and getting all defensive for being called out... been doing it for years

There probably is a paper on on it somewhere Just asking to see it.
Old 25-11-2022, 01:30 PM   #105
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

To make it easier for everyone, from this moment on, the moderation team will decide if someone is trolling or not.

Anyone that calls someone else a troll from this post onwards will have ALL of their posts deleted from this thread.

Please play nice everyone.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2022, 10:17 PM   #106
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 
Default The VACC wants the Victorian government to implement an annual rwc requirement for vehicles aged 8 years+

Many years ago I chatted with the head of road safety at VicRoads. The chap now travels the world consulting on road safety. He’s a world leader in his field.
I asked him about yearly roadworthy testing and suggested that the system seemed to work quite well in NSW. I then asked why we don’t do it in Victoria and suggested it would make the roads a lot safer.
His response was that unroadworthy vehicles just didn’t show up in the stats as a cause of accidents. It was virtually zero. Statistically insignificant.

We also discussed wire rope barriers. I said I thought that wire rope barriers were dangerous to motorcyclists. He said most bike riders also drive cars, and statistically they were more likely to be saved by the barriers driving than they were to be killed by them riding. It’s all just numbers.

So VACC pushing this is just a publicity stunt or possible virtue signaling to justify their existence to the industry that funds them.
It’s not going to happen.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2022, 06:20 AM   #107
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Many years ago I chatted with the head of road safety at VicRoads. The chap now travels the world consulting on road safety. He’s a world leader in his field.
I asked him about yearly roadworthy testing and suggested that the system seemed to work quite well in NSW. I then asked why we don’t do it in Victoria and suggested it would make the roads a lot safer.
His response was that unroadworthy vehicles just didn’t show up in the stats as a cause of accidents. It was virtually zero. Statistically insignificant.

We also discussed wire rope barriers. I said I thought that wire rope barriers were dangerous to motorcyclists. He said most bike riders also drive cars, and statistically they were more likely to be saved by the barriers driving than they were to be killed by them riding. It’s all just numbers.

So VACC pushing this is just a publicity stunt or possible virtue signaling to justify their existence to the industry that funds them.
It’s not going to happen.
thank you on both points, but on the first, that is exactly the point I have been making, they will not or can not report figures that are just too small to matter, but some posters have real trouble understanding that and keep asking for proof, the fact is that the 'proof' they are chasing just doesn't exist coz it doesn't, but they just can't accept that
Old 26-11-2022, 11:59 AM   #108
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
When it comes to selling a Victorian car with rego its a lot tougher. Certainly worth buying a RWCertified car here.
The full long inspection, wheels off brake inspections, plenty of photos taken and this is just cars.
My ****box fleet, I've never had a legit RWC done ever.

Actually I did once and they failed my Caprice on about 20 things, including too loud, too low, tint too dark, needs rear suspension bushes, brakes, oil leaks et al.

So I took it to my usual place and they're like... Just make sure you change the brakes, here's your RWC

So while you need photos and that sort of stuff you can always doctor things to suit what you want to achieve.

I bought my F100 with an RWC, the brakes hardly worked and the speedo underred by 35km/h and it still passed also, it also made it through VicRoads with a different engine number on the RWC papers to what was on its registration.

My Mazda ute, insides of the front tyres had seen better days and the wiper blades had to be nearly 20 years old

Got my 7 series through the inspection bay at VicRoads even though they couldn't sight the engine number.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 26-11-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 26-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #109
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

So while you need photos and that sort of stuff you can always doctor things to suit what you want to achieve.
So this is good is it ??

Silly things like side repeaters or a clearance light out, gear stick not displaying gear pattern a small tear in the seat maybe but yeah, bald tyres, no brakes, bad leaks, why wouldn't you want to fix them to satisfy your own piece of mind.

I wouldn't mind a photographic inspection telling me about serious road worthy problems.
Wait until you buy your S Line and see how in depth the roadworthy's get.

Old 26-11-2022, 12:55 PM   #110
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
So this is good is it ??

Silly things like side repeaters or a clearance light out, gear stick not displaying gear pattern a small tear in the seat maybe but yeah, bald tyres, no brakes, bad leaks, why wouldn't you want to fix them to satisfy your own piece of mind.

I wouldn't mind a photographic inspection telling me about serious road worthy problems.
Wait until you buy your S Line and see how in depth the roadworthy's get.
Meh, old cars leak oil, not a problem unless you're overly sensitive about your driveway.

No one is going to spend thousands fixing oil leaks on old cars, it just won't happen, at worst if they fail you on oil leaks, you bring it back after pressure washing under the car.

They don't give you any photographs, they take them for reporting to VicRoads purposes/legislative compliance, they just tell you it passed or it failed and give you a sheet on what it failed for - mechanics can hardly write a couple line items on an invoice let alone give you a detailed report on RWC failures including photos.

The mechanic going around failing everyone on oil leaks is going to find the market is going to correct this pretty quickly, the person 'overlooking' these minor issues is going to be the one who wins all the business if the government tried to bring in yearly RWCs.

I even got it onto the drag strip with these rear tyres:

So much for 'scruitineering' - you can also see how low the car is with the exhaust and the lack of a rear muffler

As far as a heavy vehicle RWC, its just finding the 'right' person.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 26-11-2022 at 01:03 PM.
Old 26-11-2022, 01:04 PM   #111
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Meh, old cars leak oil, not a problem unless you're overly sensitive about your driveway.

No one is going to spend thousands fixing oil leaks on old cars, it just won't happen, at worst if they fail you on oil leaks, you bring it back after pressure washing under the car.

As far as a heavy vehicle RWC, its just finding the 'right' person.
Yeah you're right, why worry about any motorbiker behind you in the rain, that's what leathers are for. Good attitude.
One day that "right" person will end up in court sitting next to you, both on a vehicular manslaughter charges.

Old 26-11-2022, 01:07 PM   #112
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yeah you're right, why worry about any motorbiker behind you in the rain, that's what leathers are for. Good attitude.
One day that "right" person will end up in court sitting next to you, both on a vehicular manslaughter charges.
Yeah and I might get hit by a bus walking across the road too, or we might have a nuclear war or some other minuscule chance of huge disasters happening.

Scores real low on the risk management chart that's for sure, the stats even say so according to this thread.
Old 26-11-2022, 01:15 PM   #113
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Yeah and I might get hit by a bus walking across the road too, or we might have a nuclear war or some other minuscule chance of huge disasters happening.

Scores real low on the risk management chart that's for sure, the stats even say so according to this thread.
Still, pretty good odds for an unroadworthy truck though.

Have you ever thought about driving a timber Jinker
Good money based on loads, drive at any speed, (even on dirt mountain roads)
plenty to NOT fix on the truck.
Right up your alley I reckon. sorry they don't have EV ones though.

2 users like this post: