Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #91
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Nothing wrong with the GM power plant, but are Holden gonna be able to get it Euro 4 compliant?
Old 22-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #92
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even GM, the "Jurassic park" of engine companies are going to OHV V8's into the future....

Old 22-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #93
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Nothing wrong with the GM power plant, but are Holden gonna be able to get it Euro 4 compliant?
I think they'll be ok with Euro4. I have heard they have VVT and DI available on their pushrod architecture.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #94
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvee
Holden is still using push rods in their V8s??? : I didn't know that.
Why the weirdo icon?
their V8 is superior to the Ford product IMO pushrods or not, and if I was buying a V8 now I would without hesitation buy the holden..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #95
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Good question.

I guess they always have the Northstar SC 4.4 DOHC up their sleeves if push comes to shove. They are Bin8/Euro4 compliant aren't they?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #96
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Why the weirdo icon?
their V8 is superior to the Ford product IMO pushrods or not, and if I was buying a V8 now I would without hesitation buy the holden..
Be careful with those comments, you'll end up being accused of being a Holden sympathyser. LOL
Old 22-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #97
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Good question.

I guess they always have the Northstar SC 4.4 DOHC up their sleeves if push comes to shove. They are Bin8/Euro4 compliant aren't they?
I've had a look and cant see but they're still in production so I'll assume so.
The supercharged version would go alright in HSV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Be careful with those comments, you'll end up being accused of being a Holden sympathyser. LOL
Or start a pointless argument thats been done to death.
Old 22-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #98
crYnOid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
I think they'll be ok with Euro4. I have heard they have VVT and DI available on their pushrod architecture.
VVT is available on the current Gen4 engine.
DI is coming with the Gen5 motor which has been delayed until GM gets itself sorted. Expect GM to drop capacity with the introduction of DI to keep power/torque levels about the same. I.E. Gen4 = 6L, Gen5 = 5L

Northstar is dead. OHC on a LSx block tho....
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #99
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crYnOid
OHC on a LSx block tho....
I've heard about some proto's running about in the last couple of years... thought it was pretty reliable info, might be some truth to it afterall.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #100
burnz
VFII SS UTE

small block chev's had the option for ohc in the 80's (bowtie aftermarket)
A.F.M. was released in april this year (genIV 6.0L) only.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #101
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crYnOid
VVT is available on the current Gen4 engine.
DI is coming with the Gen5 motor which has been delayed until GM gets itself sorted. Expect GM to drop capacity with the introduction of DI to keep power/torque levels about the same. I.E. Gen4 = 6L, Gen5 = 5L

Northstar is dead. OHC on a LSx block tho....

When did the LC3 die?
Old 22-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #102
Scrawny
Starter Motor

I've always thought that if there had been a turbo charged 6 cylinder XE & XF running around in Group A, Ford sales today would be a different story.

It was still a "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" climate back then & if Ford had a car that you could actually buy in Oz going around & occasionally winning , rather than the Sierra, there wouldn't have been a whole generation lost to Holden & their performance sedans.
Scrawny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #103
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Even GM, the "Jurassic park" of engine companies are going to OHV V8's into the future....

They alreaddy have in the past, the Lt5 was an awesome package, its just a shame they didn't stick with it.

I can only assume that the Northstar will die with Buick and pontiac...unless the use it in some othe GM products. The supercharged Lc3 puts out 330kw...

Its a bit annoying the compaines relied on racing so much, the FE 427 Cammer was canned because NASCAR banned it. So ford didn't have any need to kep on building it. It would of had an interesting effect if put into production...we may not have needed to wait to the 90's for a ford V8 cammer...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #104
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont get this obsession with OHV big V8s.
The LSX is smaller, lighter, more powerful, cheaper and more efficient than the equivalent Ford V8.
Realise that the 500hp LS7 engine is lighter, cheaper, more torquey, shorter, narrower than the 500hp BMW v10. Put the LS7 in the M5 and it would be a quicker car, so what exactly is the problem with the fact it has a cam in block?

Hp/L doesnt mean anything in reality (other than for morons to circle jerk over), its total hp/torque and cost thats important

And then theres the fact that any Joe can buy and build themselves a 500hp LSx engine without being an oil baron. Same cant be said for any 500hp Euro N/A engine...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #105
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Guys, my 2020 comments were tongue-in-cheek. I meant to say 2040

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
The LSX is smaller, lighter, more powerful, cheaper and more efficient than the equivalent Ford V8.
Realise that the 500hp LS7 engine is lighter, cheaper, more torquey, shorter, narrower than the 500hp BMW v10. Put the LS7 in the M5 and it would be a quicker car, so what exactly is the problem with the fact it has a cam in block?

Hp/L doesnt mean anything in reality (other than for morons to circle jerk over), its total hp/torque and cost thats important

And then theres the fact that any Joe can buy and build themselves a 500hp LSx engine without being an oil baron. Same cant be said for any 500hp Euro N/A engine...
Fwiw I agree with this post with respects to the LSx motors. Kilowatts per kg of engine there aren't many that come close. Refinement, however, could be improved on. If they can get the refinement right, as well increasing the "all important" specific power then all the power to them.

crYnOid, I thought it was a 5.3L, not a 5.0L they're bringing in? Apparently it's only a matter of timing for GM to introduce it... VF is due in a few months... it may make it's debut there?
Old 22-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #106
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin

If I may be a bit picky, Holden have had a OHV engine for as long as they have had a V8, the 307 that was released in the HK was OHV. OHC is another story, they still do not have OHC V8.

OHV= overhead valve
OHC= overhead cam
Old 22-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #107
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
If I may be a bit picky, Holden have had a OHV engine for as long as they have had a V8, the 307 that was released in the HK was OHV. OHC is another story, they still do not have OHC V8.

OHV= overhead valve
OHC= overhead cam
Thanks for picking that up Gecko. It was annoying me, Like nails down a chalk board.

Overhead Cam people! or more to the point DOHC, Double Over Head Cam ah la ford Boss.

Both Chev and Ford motors have overhead valves. Side valve motors are a thing of the past, Ie 40's and 50's past.

Unless of course 4V was referring to something else? Over Head Vortex, or Oarsome High Velocity, or somthing else?????
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #108
burnz
VFII SS UTE

it's all the same, dont forget 2/3/4 valve ohv are pushrod.
ohc can allso be 2/3/4 valve.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #109
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44
Thanks for picking that up Gecko. It was annoying me, Like nails down a chalk board.

Overhead Cam people! or more to the point DOHC, Double Over Head Cam ah la ford Boss.

Both Chev and Ford motors have overhead valves. Side valve motors are a thing of the past, Ie 40's and 50's past.

Unless of course 4V was referring to something else? Over Head Vortex, or Oarsome High Velocity, or somthing else?????
It was an obvious typo, very easy being the C is next to the v.

That's how I read it anyway,Im sure 4vman knows very well the difference between the two..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #110
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
It was an obvious typo, very easy being the C is next to the v.

That's how I read it anyway,Im sure 4vman knows very well the difference between the two..
Correct!

Old 22-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #111
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know he does......

What didn't you like, Oarsome High Velocity :-) ????

Last edited by OZQUAD44; 22-06-2009 at 10:30 PM.
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #112
EgoFalcon
The Villan

Classic sales technique, say there not making anymore so you buy one now, he is lieing there are gonna be ford v8's avaiable next year, salesman mate, cant trust them, they need a sale! lol

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #113
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, when I posted "I dont get this obsession with OHV big V8s" I was meant to say "I dont get this obsession against OHV big V8s"
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #114
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

galaxy xr8, that salesman you spoke to, must be devastated at the front cover of the latest Wheels magazine. I guess a new GT-HO wouldn't be a V8 according to him.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #115
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or another angle on this. What if the majority of V8 buyers are aware of the new V8 next year and decide to hold off....There may not be a new Ford V8 if sales of XR's drop completely because of speculation.

It wasn't in his best interest to talk about the new engine and how promising it is. With incremental power increases, even with the BOSS, You would still have to say the BOSS XR in 2010 will have the GT engine (or atleast guess at that) So 290 to 315 right there......The more people who know all these little bits and pieces, the less likely they are to run in and buy an XR8 RIGHT now.

This person sells stuff for a living, he has to make his living (and income for his dealership) between now and July 2010 when the new V8 will be here, Why would he say anything other than 'whatever' to get a sale now? Makes sense to me.....I panic bought an XR6T because there was talking of the I6 leaving us new year........
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #116
crYnOid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
crYnOid, I thought it was a 5.3L, not a 5.0L they're bringing in? Apparently it's only a matter of timing for GM to introduce it... VF is due in a few months... it may make it's debut there?
I used 5L as an example of where GenV could go :P it could be anything from 4.9L to 5.7L on the 'base' engine.

As for GenV intro, not for a few years.
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #117
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
Or another angle on this. What if the majority of V8 buyers are aware of the new V8 next year and decide to hold off....There may not be a new Ford V8 if sales of XR's drop completely because of speculation.
You'd think Ford would be used to consumers acting this way. If anything it'd make Ford more likely to rush it to market.

I think there'd be a few people on the Forums who wouldn't mind this strategy. Personally, I don't think I can take another 12 months of speculation.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #118
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

I reckon this dealer guy should read the new edition of Wheels, doesn't exactly follow his story.
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #119
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO wether or not a V8 survives in FPVs line up next year the GT needs to be reinstated as the premium model in its line up. Like it or not currently the sharpest tool in Fords tool box performance and handling wise by a fare margin is the F6.... with heavy discounting on the V8 GT models to keep there sales moving. Some will say im bias because I own a FG F6 and not the current GT, but either way I do believe FPV need to change its approach for both models to survive in the future. :evil3:

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #120
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
It wasn't in his best interest to talk about the new engine and how promising it is. With incremental power increases, even with the BOSS, You would still have to say the BOSS XR in 2010 will have the GT engine (or atleast guess at that) So 290 to 315 right there......The more people who know all these little bits and pieces, the less likely they are to run in and buy an XR8 RIGHT now.

Unfortunately, as nice as the idea is it will not happen as the 315 will not comply with the new emissions regs.

As for the OHC/OHV thing, I was having a dig and that is why I said I was being picky.