Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #91
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
you can do 195 in a Yaris, an XR8 would want to nail 230+ lol.

I think you will find Oz spec Yaris' are speed limited to 175kmh. The tyres arnt rated for much more than that.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #92
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
I think you will find Oz spec Yaris' are speed limited to 175kmh. The tyres arnt rated for much more than that.
think you will find that unless their speedo is out by 20km I have had one personally higher than 175 in the 1st series ;)... I did wholesale/value and fleet sales for Toyota for 5 years ;) I had enough of them as drive cars to find out.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #93
Scott

Johnny come lately....

The article "The chase was called off due to excessive speeds, which at times reached 235km/h, police said" - that suggests to me that the cops went that fast, not neccessarily the XR8 (unless thats what the cops used to catch him).

For all that is stated in the article, the XR8 was only ever clocked at 140km/h.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #94
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Johnny come lately....

The article "The chase was called off due to excessive speeds, which at times reached 235km/h, police said" - that suggests to me that the cops went that fast, not neccessarily the XR8 (unless thats what the cops used to catch him).

For all that is stated in the article, the XR8 was only ever clocked at 140km/h.

make a very good point with that.

they never said that they did clock him at that higher speed, but I think there has been a bit of leeway with the writing of the article to suit the desire to dish up 'horror' everyday perhaps?

Old 28-12-2009, 01:54 AM   #95
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
looking for prospective cars does not make the owner's guilty, and i am sure that most police officers would see it that way. i would assume they are looking for the attitudes of the said owners to get an idea on their behaviour and morals - and then if they see them being stupid, they will give less tolerance than someone else in the same type of car but with a better attitude. it is really just doing research on potential idiots - i have no problem with that

an example was at a car show i have been to recently. i was standing next to a twin turbo 800rwhp coupe and the local police showed up. they suggested it would have 1000hp and the owner said "that is unrealistic - around 200" the officer said "that is unrealistic" and they laughed and talked about his car for a few minutes, before admiring the others. they could have waited for him and most of the others as we were leaving, but because of the attitudes of the owners, there was no problems at all

they are doing a tough job, and like all of the emergency services, i have nothing but respect for virtually all of them. i have yet to meet one i should not have had respect for
You Make a very good point tho but being on the recieving end of and seeing police do just the opposite i have found is more often the case as someone in this thread brought up before why don't they do the rounds of a nearby woolies carpark? they would find more to pick, its just way too easy to sit outside a carshow and book everyone and the drags etc, enjoying the car scene i see it every day and look at as harrasment
i do respect the police in general just some of the thingsthey do like revenue raising is bs
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 02:07 AM   #96
kezzer

Quote:
further proves my point about not giving a flying '****' about road safety. the excessive speeding yes, the targeting of modified cars and going to the trouble of speeding time combing forums to catch someone out due to being too low, or having their wheel's 1 size over is really stretching the boundaries... if they want to target cars due to unsafe features, take a walk around the nearest Woolworth's car park.. they would have a field day with the amount of bald tyres on mum/dads KIA carnival complete with the 'baby on board' sign... CLOWNS.
Couldn't agree more, find myself agreeing with everything you say in this thread.

I get much bigger a look in my FG xrg on p plates (SAFE CAR, THAT I TAKE CARE OF, SPEND MONEY ON AND LOVE) compared to people in 25 year old un-roadworthy, unsafe piece of .

I would rather be labelled a hoon in a fast SAFE car then a "sensible" person in an old UNSAFE pos.

If i had to choose between a 500hp modified monster, to a 100hp kia, give me the monster, I know I would much more likely survive a car accident. Even go as far to say, me having an accident in my FG at 140km/h I would stand a better chance of surviving then equivalent circumstances at 80km/h in a 1995 hyundai excel (cant get much faster then that in an excel)

Cops need to WAKEUP to this, the dirty revenue raising tactics are just that... dirty revenue raising tactics, unlikely to save anyones life, whereas targetting unroadworthy cars will.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 02:18 AM   #97
BHDOGS
Banned

The cops arnt out revenue raising because they get paid extra dollars for raising more money there doing a job that higher ups tell them to do you gotta catch this many people or you get kicked in the butt we'd all do the same so respect the people who do there jobs and cop pardon the pun crap from both sides.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #98
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Well thats surprise , a driver being foolish and refuses to slow down when chased so someone decides to chase him further
placing both him and them selves in danger along with the public all for a lousy 140kph
(was he stuck in 2nd?) and a guestimated 3rd gear (225 in the Jag )
Wouldn't stopping for the arrest later serve the same result ?

Not knowing the roads I assume it was dangerous making both parties to the chase appear stupid and simply hard to understand the thinking in such a pursuite
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 02:55 AM   #99
BHDOGS
Banned

The police should chase in every circumstance.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 09:38 AM   #100
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Couldn't agree more, find myself agreeing with everything you say in this thread.

I get much bigger a look in my FG xrg on p plates (SAFE CAR, THAT I TAKE CARE OF, SPEND MONEY ON AND LOVE) compared to people in 25 year old un-roadworthy, unsafe piece of .

I would rather be labelled a hoon in a fast SAFE car then a "sensible" person in an old UNSAFE pos.

If i had to choose between a 500hp modified monster, to a 100hp kia, give me the monster, I know I would much more likely survive a car accident. Even go as far to say, me having an accident in my FG at 140km/h I would stand a better chance of surviving then equivalent circumstances at 80km/h in a 1995 hyundai excel (cant get much faster then that in an excel)

Cops need to WAKEUP to this, the dirty revenue raising tactics are just that... dirty revenue raising tactics, unlikely to save anyones life, whereas targetting unroadworthy cars will.
At 140 into something solid you would have no hope.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #101
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

so they clocked him at 140???

so why chase him
get the plate and do him later

idiots
now theres two cars doing that speed when they chase him.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #102
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Ahh, and what if the car was stolen, something they wouldn't know unless they pulled him over.
The way i see it he was first noticed doing 140, they chased at which time the offender accellerated much higher and it was called off.
Standard procedure.

Instead of questioning why the coppers chased, question why the driver failed to stop when requested.
And using the old 'if you didnt threaten to take my car away' line is no excuse, you big enough to do the crime, you should be big enough to accept the consequences.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #103
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

who cares if the car is stolen?
the point is there was now two cars doing 200+
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #104
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver
Because if the car was stolen what good would getting the plate no and knocking on the owners door do???

Where does it say the Police car was doing 200+
For all you know they may have called in the Police helicopter who clocked the higher speeds and followed until another car pulled him over.

Last edited by BENT_8; 28-12-2009 at 11:40 AM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #105
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

They need to do what ever they can to get these types of the road! If it means chasing them down .... where they determine as appropriate .... then they should do so.
Quote:
By this statement you have never driven a 500hp monster ..... if you truly believe that you would get in more trouble in a 100hp Kia in comparison, well that is just very very scary.
Quote:
Could you just elaborate on this a little? Bit mystified.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #106
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
but one of the drivers has training - and it is well known by all involved that they have - otherwise the officer would not be reaching those speeds

it is amazing - the lowest common demonimator rule is offensive to most on this forum, but it is okay to keep the police (who have driver training) bound to it
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #107
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so they clocked him at 140???

so why chase him
get the plate and do him later

idiots
now theres two cars doing that speed when they chase him.
The difference is one is experienced, trained and authorised to drive at that speed WITH highly visible warning devices to alert other road users of their rapid approach... the other is a moron...

Old 28-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #108
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The difference is one is experienced, trained and authorised to drive at that speed WITH highly visible warning devices to alert other road users of their rapid approach... the other is a moron...
couldnt have said it better myself.

Old 28-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #109
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People B and Moan about police not doing their jobs and that speed camera's are the "silent assassins" or revenue raisers, yet when the police actually provide visible and active "policing" people want to throw rocks and critisise...??? WTF??
You want active policing, you want police interaction and the ability to get warnings but if someone does a runner just let them go? What about bank robbers, murderers and people who have committed a serious assult? dont chase them either? same theory applies...
So now police cant chase, they just roll over and let them go? Police cant speed because regular motorists aren't allowed? What exactly can police do if you take all their powers away?

Some people need a reality check.... or check their license in and stay off the road...

Old 28-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #110
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways82
i agree, in QLD they have to call up and get special permission to keep going when chase speeds hit 140k's.

so technically the cops have to say it's safe to continue the chase.

Up here they take down your plates and stop chasing or don't start chasing 90% of the time.
Which is much more palatable than seeing a distraught mother on the news weeping over her daughter being run down on a crosswalk by a pursued vehicle.

We all know that speeding is irresponsible and big powered cars are capable of good acceleration and speed, but how much overspeed is considered acceptable. The Govt has made it clear there is no margin for error and imposes fines accordingly (every k over is a killer campaign). The public however seem to deem it's OK to travel at say 105 -110 on a 100kph stretch, it must be the case because I am consistently passed on freeways....law breakers and killers everyone of them.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #111
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
allegedly travelling at more than 140km/h in a 100km/h zone on Sunday
140 is hardly earth shattering, especially considering most 100km/h zones, probably not that bad over all, still surprised why he didn't just pull over and cop a mid range speeding infringement, perhaps even talk his way to a lesser offence.. irrelevant anyways.

Quote:
Police pursued the Falcon for 40km through Glenburn and Dixons Creek in the Yarra Ranges
Be interesting to see what the road conditions/traffic was like as the article never mentions a time just 'Sunday' 1pm is slightly busier and dangerous than 3am.

Quote:
The chase was called off due to excessive speeds, which at times reached 235km/h, police said
once again, was he clocked at that speed or was that the speed of the pursuing vehicle? if police have reason to suspect.. and if someone is doing a runner its usually due to something else other than a speeding violation then they have EVERY right to pursue.. refer to my previous post in regards to being in the wrong place at the wrong time to any one who feels the need to crap on about family safety and how it was endangered even in Perth and this had NOTHING to do with you.

deal with the facts, no one slid off the road into a mini van of newly born baby's, he fled, then went back to hand himself in.. and NO ONE got hurt.

Old 28-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #112
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Which is much more palatable than seeing a distraught mother on the news weeping over her daughter being run down on a crosswalk by a pursued vehicle.

We all know that speeding is irresponsible and big powered cars are capable of good acceleration and speed, but how much overspeed is considered acceptable. The Govt has made it clear there is no margin for error and imposes fines accordingly (every k over is a killer campaign). The public however seem to deem it's OK to travel at say 105 -110 on a 100kph stretch, it must be the case because I am consistently passed on freeways....law breakers and killers everyone of them.
whoever designed the 'every K over is a killer' needs his head cubed.

as for the 105-110 I'm one of those you speak of, guess what there is a 10% leeway in qld and nsw before a camera is triggered, 67 in a 60, 111 in a 100zone etc, so if I'm doing brisbane to roma/cairns/townsville or mt isa as is usually the case ill push the boundaries without getting caught... I'm still alive after doing 500,000+ km and haven't caused any accidents... yes every K over is a killer ... :

Old 28-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #113
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
At 140 into something solid you would have no hope.
What and an excel at 100km would have a better chance??? :togo:
Old 28-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #114
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
By this statement you have never driven a 500hp monster ..... if you truly believe that you would get in more trouble in a 100hp Kia in comparison, well that is just very very scary.

Could you just elaborate on this a little? Bit mystified.
Maybe wasn't very clear what I'm trying to say, and you might just shoot me down for saying it.

I meant 500hp monster vs 100hp Kia, you would be targeted as a hoon in the 500hp monster, yet are more likely to survive a crash in a bigger car that you have spent money on (suspension, brakes, keep in good condition etc) rather then a Kia that the owner wouldn't even know how to pop the bonnet lol.

People like me in modified new cars on P plates are labelled as hoons by the general public, I get alot of dirty looks from neighbours just being on my P's in a beautiful Ford, where i know I take care of my car, love it etc
Old 28-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #115
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What and an excel at 100km would have a better chance??? :togo:

No it wouldn't. But don't fool yourself into thinking any car can hit a solid object at 100k's and you walk away. Crash tests have been done at 100k's in the best 5 star cars. A person couldn't have survived the recorded 60 G stop.
Old 28-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #116
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Majority of the fatal accidents you will find, and its easier enough to sift through the media articles to obtain this, but they are not caused by 500RWHP monsters, they are L/P platers with little experience, or family people who are so fixated on speed that they fail to realise overtaking on a blind corner will and does have a higher potential to kill.

back to the argument from KEZZER, I'm sure that the active and passive safety on an F6 typhoon outweigh the duel airbags and 4 channel ABS on fitted as options at best on the KIA..

Old 28-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #117
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

apart from a post or a very solid brick wall that is about 30+cm thick, what are you going to hit that isn't going to have give/break/crumple upon impact??? cars don't hit HEAD on, they are usually offset with at least 1 car under full brakes at time of impact very few are with no breaking and center to center head on, so the argument about walking away at speeds is a huge variable, I know of one person personally who has survived a 180km/h combined speed impact with another car, another one is a guy who I sold a car to got T boned and died on impact.... impact speed of no more than 30km/h... so its a crystal ball guess as to if you hit it will you die, but if you can avoid an impact/or aim for a less solid object if you must hit something then your likely hood of survival will increase.

Old 28-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #118
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
apart from a post or a very solid brick wall that is about 30+cm thick, what are you going to hit that isn't going to have give/break/crumple upon impact??? cars don't hit HEAD on, they are usually offset with at least 1 car under full brakes at time of impact very few are with no breaking and center to center head on, so the argument about walking away at speeds is a huge variable, I know of one person personally who has survived a 180km/h combined speed impact with another car, another one is a guy who I sold a car to got T boned and died on impact.... impact speed of no more than 30km/h... so its a crystal ball guess as to if you hit it will you die, but if you can avoid an impact/or aim for a less solid object if you must hit something then your likely hood of survival will increase.
Trees, power poles, concrete walls, parked trucks, houses, .... There are plenty of things that don't budge when being hit by a car.
Old 28-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #119
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

trees yes, i stated power poles, concrete walls tend to shatter depending on the force its hit at, as I said before unless its 30cm thick and reinforced..., parked trucks will still have some form of give as metal deforms on impact, have you ever seen a car hit a house?... houses tend to be better to hit than a car so long as no one is inside the house.

Old 28-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #120
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Trees, power poles, concrete walls, parked trucks, houses, .... There are plenty of things that don't budge when being hit by a car.
Wouldn't you still punch through the house a little bit?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post