Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Did Ford use the correct Sequential Shift direction?
Yes - I think the Ford direction is correct 205 74.28%
No - I think they should reverse 57 20.65%
Candy 14 5.07%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #91
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
That's why Ford used it.
Mitsubishi on the other hand did it the other way cos their cars were designed for cardigan wearers ... and there is no G-force involved.

They just made it easier for geriatrics .. up gear goes forward ... YAY *clap hands*

just joking (but i could be right)

Fair enough but fords way is made for premature ejaculaters. G forces start , man trys to hold back but is forced into changing early as he's bucked back into his seat holding on tightly to gear stick. All he's left with is a hand full of gears and no cigar!!! :
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2006, 08:27 PM   #92
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
Fair enough but fords way is made for premature ejaculaters. G forces start , man trys to hold back but is forced into changing early as he's bucked back into his seat holding on tightly to gear stick. All he's left with is a hand full of gears and no cigar!!!
that has got to be the dumbest post ever.
Old 28-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #93
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
Fair enough but fords way is made for premature ejaculaters. G forces start , man trys to hold back but is forced into changing early as he's bucked back into his seat holding on tightly to gear stick. All he's left with is a hand full of gears and no cigar!!! :

Your trousers are muffling your voice.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #94
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do you not understand what l said???? Push shift up( gear go up) pull shift down( gear go down)
You have completely lost me...
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2006, 09:31 PM   #95
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You REALLY don't like the Ford sequential shift do you.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2006, 09:35 PM   #96
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

No l realy dont care which way it goes. It aint the manual gearbox that you auto owning guys try to make it out to be though. As dr phil said" you can stick feathers on a horse but that dont make it a chicken"
Old 28-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #97
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzes
that has got to be the dumbest post ever.
Yes mr macdonald college graduate. :
Old 28-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #98
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
No l realy dont care which way it goes. It aint the manual gearbox that you auto owning guys try to make it out to be though. As dr phil said" you can stick feathers on a horse but that dont make it a chicken"
Not bad!! Nor can you polish a turd but I, being an owner have made it perfectly clear that it is NOT a manual hence Ford still make manuals.

What it is, is a f##k sight better gearbox than your traditional automatic.(also an owner)

Speak to Maserati if you want a true 6 speed manual that can also change gear for you...tres expensive and frankly, a little cumbersome!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Old 28-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #99
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Your point taken. :
Old 29-03-2006, 01:56 PM   #100
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishxc
Speak to Maserati if you want a true 6 speed manual that can also change gear for you...tres expensive and frankly, a little cumbersome!
And dont speak to ford if you want a good 6spd manual full stop :nutsycuck
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #101
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
...au11 should have stated above: Down to shift down and up to shift up( says it all in my opinion)
No, I said it right the first time.

And as I also said, the way Ford have configured sequential shift, should be an Australian Standard. That way, we won't have bits of Mitsubishi auto gearbox all over our roads...

I'll shut up now.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #102
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I think its more a hangover from day dot when cars got automatics, you always pulled it further back to select a lower gear P R N D 3 2 1 so habit is the reason I think people call it wrong, when the physics of forward momentum make sense to the way it has been setup. Breaking the years of habit and learning does take awhile.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #103
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

had a good play around with my knob (shifter knob , ofcourse) today and on my NA XR6 the gear box will NOT downshift if a gear has been selected @ WOT , it will just slowly rev out - as it should.

James
Old 06-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #104
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
had a good play around with my knob (shifter knob , ofcourse) today and on my NA XR6 the gear box will NOT downshift if a gear has been selected @ WOT , it will just slowly rev out - as it should.

James

I think that we established that it WILL a long time ago. The ONLY exception is if you have had an edit. Have a good look through the previous posts including the quote from the BA instruction manual.
As I said before, it is for emergency reasons and you have to be driving the car F$%king hard in order to make it do so.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

Quote:
Old 06-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #105
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think that we established that it WILL a long time ago. The ONLY exception is if you have had an edit. Have a good look through the previous posts including the quote from the BA instruction manual.
As I said before, it is for emergency reasons and you have to be driving the car F$%king hard in order to make it do so.
I thought we established that differnet models have different shift pattens..................................
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 08:38 AM   #106
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:

James
I have tried the same thing in my Territory ... and it hold the gear ... doesn't downshift at WOT at all ... so i just leave it in PEF if pushing it .... but that's rare ... if i use manual .. i used it quickly and then I have to shift across to ADP ... and then back to PEF to auto shift in PEF mode ... a pain ... but it's the only way.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 07:52 PM   #107
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
mine does not do it . Full Stop. not even in emergencies. It will NOT kick down , even when my foot is mashed to the floor in 2nd at 10 Kmh , it will slowly rev out to around 120kmh where it hits the limiter
Old 07-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #108
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
I thought we established that differnet models have different shift pattens..................................
I will agree on this one. XRs must have different programming to the rest pf the range becuase no matter how hard i try to make it downshift, mine listens to what its told.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #109
phat_stak_tipa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just think about the g force factor when u are up it and need to change u are being forced back hence it is easier to pull back when braking and need to cahnge down u are forced forward very simple and a good move by ford
phat_stak_tipa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #110
Des Flurane

Th 'G' force?????????
What car do you drive?
Old 17-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #111
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

BMW does it the same way...
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 11:34 AM   #112
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think it really matters which way it is, but i do think there should be standard.
For road use either is fine, once you learn to use it, it feels natural. But if you are swapping between different cars with different systems its a pain (a bit like indicator stalks on some cars)

I think the manufacturers should make a standard and follow it, one way or the other.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 03:58 PM   #113
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

After the T-Series steering wheel mounted buttons I always thought the BA was a step backwards in putting it back on the console. I understand that it was done to allow sufficient room in the steering column loom to put the audio controls back on the wheel but I didn't like it. Early cars had it the reverse way anyway.

Having used the SRT8 one for awhile now (which is left for down and right for up I prefer that method as it is far easier to use and requires less movement.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 04:33 PM   #114
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
mine does not do it . Full Stop. not even in emergencies. It will NOT kick down , even when my foot is mashed to the floor in 2nd at 10 Kmh , it will slowly rev out to around 120kmh where it hits the limiter

Sometimes the BA Futura we had 02 and the XLS ute 05 both will kick back into DRIVE if your like in 4th at 50 and put it flat the floor, the D flashes on the dash when you do this.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #115
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Test drove a Legacy 3.0 R B-spec recently, which has the changes going the opposite way to the Falcon and quite frankly I didn't find it a problem, and I used to think the Falcon way was right.

So I've decided I couldn't care less which way they go sleep:
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 06:40 AM   #116
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat_stak_tipa
just think about the g force factor when u are up it and need to change u are being forced back hence it is easier to pull back when braking and need to cahnge down u are forced forward very simple and a good move by ford
Hang on this ones confused me.... is it push forward for 1 thru 6 then pull back for 6 back to 1, because I honestlt cant remember after driving magnas falcons vectras and sonatas.

If thats the way then yeh thats the way it shoud be. It's also the same in the SV6, if you have it in AS mode and pound it to the floor it won;t kick back till you tell it to, and thats the way it should be, after all, you are basically wanting a manual by pressing the AS button or shifting it accross.

Stoney!
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #117
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Ford's way is good..... But I let a Commy driving mate drive once, and he kept going the wrong way... _
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #118
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish it was reversed. But only because my XT ute runs a B&M quicksilver shifter which is the reverse of the XR8. The XT is less forgiving when shifting from 2nd to 1st at 5000...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 08:17 AM   #119
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBarrel
I wish it was reversed. But only because my XT ute runs a B&M quicksilver shifter which is the reverse of the XR8. The XT is less forgiving when shifting from 2nd to 1st at 5000...
All aftermarket shifter are the right way. I have a Megashifter, which is the opposite to Ford.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2006, 07:50 AM   #120
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I had a mega shifter years ago. Went the wrong way a couple of times when I first got the BA. That said, I prefer the Ford shift direction now that I'm used to it.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post