Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: How Much Do you Fill Up
$20 - $45 33 12.09%
$45 - $60 31 11.36%
$60 - $80 64 23.44%
$100 and above 37 13.55%
Scotter 4 1.47%
Public Transport 3 1.10%
I Don't Care About Petrol Prices I Fill up the same amount every Week 119 43.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #91
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

you still use it all so it doesnt really matter to me.
Old 16-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #92
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Fill it up when needed. Need the ute for work, so I don't have much choice in how much I use.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #93
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

With Shell out of V Power and BP having similar issues with Ultimate, I was left with V Power racing @ 165.9 cents a litre and filled in $100.50 in the XR8 yesterday. The first time ever!! It was roughly $38 to fill when I got it new!! Bloody hell!!

Oh and I paid $28.60 or so for the bike... First time I spent more than $25 on the bike!! Crazy...
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #94
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i put full tanks in when I need to, usually twice a week....at $90-100 a pop...

highest price I have payed for 98 is 162.9

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 01:05 AM   #95
Ridin-High

For a previous job i was spending approx 75 p/w in fuel, now i travel to work on public transport and the same tank of fuel gets me about 3 weeks instead of 1 (travelling to the train station).

I also employ a few fuel saving techniques

- Less A/C (only use when really required) put the windows down instead
- Braking less hard and accellerating lightly
- predicting traffic (employing the above tactic)
- only going to the petrol station on cheap days (mon/tues/wednes)
- Fill up to max capacity (fuel tank) and only goto refil when tank very low to minimise visits to the petrol station
- combining several jobs (dry cleaning/shopping etc) in one trip
- Try not to let the car idle for excessive periods (when its not moving u are wasting fuel eg. waiting out the front of ur mates house for 10 minutes).
- using cruise control
- going 100kph on highway instead of 110 as car revs @ 3k @ 110 and about 2.4 @ 100

60% city / 40% highway i average approx approx 9/10L per 100k's from my 2.2L toyota camry (auto) (600-650 from 60L tank, using 95 octaine)

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #96
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

I give myself max $20 a week for fuel to get around in the gas guzzler XF. I ride my pushy to work though so it usually lasts pretty well. The XY is different, i use money out of my fortnightly spending money and put whatever in it as its a hobby not a nessicity which i can cut down on otherwise i would sell it and make a nice profit. LOL.
Old 17-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #97
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin-High
For a previous job i was spending approx 75 p/w in fuel, now i travel to work on public transport and the same tank of fuel gets me about 3 weeks instead of 1 (travelling to the train station).

I also employ a few fuel saving techniques

- Less A/C (only use when really required) put the windows down instead
- Braking less hard and accellerating lightly
- predicting traffic (employing the above tactic)
- only going to the petrol station on cheap days (mon/tues/wednes)
- Fill up to max capacity (fuel tank) and only goto refil when tank very low to minimise visits to the petrol station
- combining several jobs (dry cleaning/shopping etc) in one trip
- Try not to let the car idle for excessive periods (when its not moving u are wasting fuel eg. waiting out the front of ur mates house for 10 minutes).
- using cruise control
- going 100kph on highway instead of 110 as car revs @ 3k @ 110 and about 2.4 @ 100

60% city / 40% highway i average approx approx 9/10L per 100k's from my 2.2L toyota camry (auto) (600-650 from 60L tank, using 95 octaine)

You do all this and its only a 2 litre camry, well the news aint good because the prices are only going to go up so then you are going to be in real trouble.

I was living in Woomera from late 2000 to early 2003 and the only petrol station was SPUDS roadhouse on the PT augusta to Northern Territory Highway, the price of petrol back then was a good 25 to 30 cents dearer than what you paid back in civilisation.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #98
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's a scotter?

The coupe $20-30 depending on how far i travel.
Daily i fill up as required. Helps when you receive an allowance for each shift you are rostered, between $25-75 depending where i travel.

Last edited by Pinkbits; 17-03-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #99
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
What's a scotter?.

A SCOTSMAN that wont pay the price of fuel anymore, so he sold his car and bought a SCOOTER
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #100
orig
Starter Motor

Could be worse could be in "kiwi land" and be paying $1.80 pl, so not to many older falcons getting around, use to-go to Germany for gas when lived in Holland
orig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #101
Booka
OzECruisers FTW

I fill up whenever i need fuel, empty too full..... about 85-90 bucks for the falcon.... 110-140 for the cruser

EB II GLi, AU 4lt and auto conversion :evil3: , 17" mags, Tub's on the way, Sound system, Tinted windows, Lowered.
Booka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #102
cactus259

ever notice how hard it is to stop the pump on an even dollar? nearly always goes over that one cent no matter how hard you try. no big deal 1 cent. but imagine every second car around the country doing it and the money the oil companies are making from that one cent? only applies to eftpos transactions but thats the majority too i think.. try to reduce useless running around but fill when needed. just got 5.4 rtv and surprisingly good economy. spend 120 a week for work and pleasure. gone are the good old days . lol
cactus259 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 01:13 AM   #103
Cam
Stroking it...

I fill up the daily (EB 4L) fortnightly, costs me $90, then i cry that it cost me $1.40cpl to fill up. Does about 500km a tank

Every second Weekend I fill up the cruiser (AU 347ci) and i cheer about how much fun i get for a mere $1.40cpl! That does about 200km-350km a tank depending on where the car wants to take me (for some reason, it tends to head for mountain roads, anyone else noticed that problem :P)
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #104
lachymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothin suss
All the way every time.... Dont even look at the fuel prices!

LPG for the win! $40 a week for 350ish klm around town, cant complain!
thats the way... except i only use about $25 worth a week..

1978 falcon with a 4.1 at the moment.. get like 300k's out a 60 liter tank if i'm lucky hehe.. good thing it only costs me 60 cents a liter..
lachymac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 02:42 AM   #105
Broomexr6
Starter Motor

Fill up whenever required, dont drive less

65-120L per week at $1.71 for vortex 95
Broomexr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #106
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

I filled up last night @ $1.35 per litre at my Local Servo, apparently its the cheapest in Melbs a fair few times, Wooooooooo Hooooooooo

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #107
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus259
ever notice how hard it is to stop the pump on an even dollar? nearly always goes over that one cent no matter how hard you try. no big deal 1 cent. but imagine every second car around the country doing it and the money the oil companies are making from that one cent? only applies to eftpos transactions but thats the majority too i think..
its a conspiracy, the oil companies have infected us with a disease making us incapable of stopping the pump on an even amount, i call it jigglyhanditus
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #108
bullet69
Starter Motor

These days I drive an AT Telstar to and from work and usually use between 40-50 litres a week.
I leave my 351 4speed XD ESP in the garage and only drive it occasionally.With 355 RWHP and a set of 3.75 diff gears,I would be working just to feed it these days.
bullet69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #109
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last Saturday, a tank of fuel and a packet of smokes... I got less then $1.00 back from $120
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #110
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Suposively my town (Hamilton, Vic) has been rated with the highest petrol prices in the state for a city/largeish town (i think it stayed at about 1.47 for ages while melb was on about 1.32)
I usually fill up with 60 if im going on a long trip or about 30 if im just driving around town if its cheap. Yesterday it was at 1.48. It would of gone up over night because of the whole easter thing..
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #111
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Probably soon to be a lot less now that I'm shopping around for a replacement for my V8. Otherwise up to $90 a tank regardless of what day it is. At least it's tax deductable.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #112
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

i put 1000km on my EF every week so when i have to fill up, i have to fill up.
Old 23-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #113
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

On topic, and a little rant I guess. I listened to some knob on radio from the NRMA stating that Easter fuel costs have been surprisingly lower than the average hike. He also stated that fuel prices generally rise around 10 cents a litre on Wednesdays. And gradually discount back through to Tuesday.

We strike me pink, does anyone else see the pattern? I have been seeing this for ten years.

Joe Average gets paid Thursdays, and generally hasn't enough spare cash to fuel before that. So he gets to pay 10 cents per litre extra per week, lucky devil. And the cycle repeats, and repeats. Oil companies are the lowest form of parasite, bleeding us like this. Why won't the Government act? They also win in this scenario.

ACCC, are you blind? Do you give a toss? Or are you hamstrung by politics?

End rant, sorry.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #114
boss-290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMT
On topic, and a little rant I guess. I listened to some knob on radio from the NRMA stating that Easter fuel costs have been surprisingly lower than the average hike. He also stated that fuel prices generally rise around 10 cents a litre on Wednesdays. And gradually discount back through to Tuesday.

We strike me pink, does anyone else see the pattern? I have been seeing this for ten years.

Joe Average gets paid Thursdays, and generally hasn't enough spare cash to fuel before that. So he gets to pay 10 cents per litre extra per week, lucky devil. And the cycle repeats, and repeats. Oil companies are the lowest form of parasite, bleeding us like this. Why won't the Government act? They also win in this scenario.

ACCC, are you blind? Do you give a toss? Or are you hamstrung by politics?

End rant, sorry.
Why apologise? You speak sense.

But there's no point carrying on when you own a fuel guzzling 6.
Old 23-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #115
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
Why apologise? You speak sense.

It's not the amount I use that gripes me, it's how it's paid for. I fuel Monday or Tuesday, so I miss the great 10 cent hit on the public. My gripe is for the masses that can't control the ripoff. And for the authorities that allow it.
Old 23-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #116
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Joe Average gets paid Thursdays, and generally hasn't enough spare cash to fuel before that. So he gets to pay 10 cents per litre extra per week, lucky devil.
Um, how many people get paid weekly on a Thursday? No one I know gets paid weekly, we're either fortnightly or monthly.

If Joe Average can't afford $50 for petrol a few days before they get paid - I'd say they have problems not just associated with fuel prices.

Besides, it could be worse - at least they have cheap days.

Quote:
I fuel Monday or Tuesday, so I miss the great 10 cent hit on the public. My gripe is for the masses that can't control the ripoff.
I think every person in Brisbane fills up on Tuesday. It's certainly noticeable!! I don't think that there's very many people at all that don't fill up on cheap days (or have the option to fill up on cheap days). I think you'll find the "10c hit on the public" isn't really as big as you think. A lot of people that pay that "10c hit" are people who drive for a living, or for business etc, and need more than one tank of fuel a week.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #117
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Um, how many people get paid weekly on a Thursday? No one I know gets paid weekly, we're either fortnightly or monthly.

If Joe Average can't afford $50 for petrol a few days before they get paid - I'd say they have problems not just associated with fuel prices.

Besides, it could be worse - at least they have cheap days.

I think every person in Brisbane fills up on Tuesday. It's certainly noticeable!! I don't think that there's very many people at all that don't fill up on cheap days (or have the option to fill up on cheap days). I think you'll find the "10c hit on the public" isn't really as big as you think. A lot of people that pay that "10c hit" are people who drive for a living, or for business etc, and need more than one tank of fuel a week.
Your missing the point... The Oil Companies raise the price every week on the same day, by almost the same amount. And discount accordingly for the next 6 days. And I must say to you, most blue collar workers are paid weekly. I know very few who are paid otherwise. My post is not about how we work around the increase, but how it has no justification in the first place. Raw crude doesn't go up every Wednesday, it's driven by market. And to say 10 cents a litre isn't a big hit? I can see why no one changes or tries to change the way it is if that statement is common.
Old 24-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #118
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's well known (I thought so anyway) that the "cheap days" are done by the fuel companies subsidising from the higher cost days of the week. They don't claim that crude oil changes that much to create the price difference - they do it on purpose on those days. Plus, not every state's cheap day is Tuesday.

If they didn't do it, the average price would just be higher for the whole week and not give the "Joe Average" consumer a chance to buy on tank of fuel one the cheap day to last the entire week.

If we really want to reduce prices, we don't just need to look at the oil companies - look at the excise and taxes on fuel imposed by the government.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 01:06 AM   #119
Becker_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachymac
thats the way... except i only use about $25 worth a week..

1978 falcon with a 4.1 at the moment.. get like 300k's out a 60 liter tank if i'm lucky hehe.. good thing it only costs me 60 cents a liter..
I used to drive a Falcon E-Gas sedan as a taxi and it is because the average joe has gotten on the LPG bandwagon that a daily fill for the owner has risen from $25 per day to between $40 - $45. In fact LPG has increased 40% in the past 12 months.

Quote:
ORSMT

It's not the amount I use that gripes me, it's how it's paid for. I fuel Monday or Tuesday, so I miss the great 10 cent hit on the public. My gripe is for the masses that can't control the ripoff. And for the authorities that allow it.
I've just worked the Easter long weekend 4 shifts @ inflated Easter prices. I'm driving a Toyota Tarago van running BP Ultimate Unleaded 98 ron so it costs me around $85 - $95 a night. Fuel prices might fluctuate but our rates don't change it's a rip off.

Personally I usually fill up Friday arvo and it works out to about $85 each time. I don't restrict my personal driving due to cost.
Becker_11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post