Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Performance Car Purchase Dilema.
The Quicker 1 on paper and by results. 27 23.28%
The 1 that Felt Quicker to drive... 89 76.72%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #91
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme
yeah, but look at the power an XR8 has compared to your typhoon....and an XR doesnt have the appeal of an FPV
Like I said its not about the power or how fast it is, but on the second one your probably right but I could've easily just bought the GT being a V8 fan too (I like anything with performance) but the whole package was taken into consideration and what it could do for me and my criteria in a motor vehicle. Having owned a few V8's in the past I found myself wanting something different, I didnt want the look at me sound of a V8 anymore, dont get me wrong I LOVE the sound of a meaty V8 but I just didnt want the attention that comes with that and Im a firm believer that if you own a V8 you must be able to hear it too. The off boost driving of the turbo is a big plus for me, being able to drive it around town like a N/A 6 and returning fuel figures of 11-12l per 100km's. The thing with a modified 8 is you just cant tame it down when you want. Now Im not trying to argue turbo vs 8 or anything like that but just trying to show that its more the owners perception of said vehicle. How fast the car went on paper, in the real world, or seat of the pants was never a consideration in my decision for me and probably never will be because you can just spend money on it to make it go better. The calibre of vehicles we have to choose from these days is great we have such an enormous range to choose from that it does make it really hard to make a choice of what to get but at the end of the day I think you should just buy the car that suits you, everyone is different with what they want in a vehicle and thats what makes us unique to the next bloke and obviously that can be shown in the different spread of vehicles in this Forum, let alone the outside world.
Old 21-06-2009, 02:29 AM   #92
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Or the retirement village bus looking for you..!
The bus has many seats, flappist would be looking to take a few of his AFF buddy's

4Vman what are the current late model vehicles you own atm,
I think you had a BA XR8 do you still have it?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #93
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Sounds like you're no where near being sure about your purchase (especially when so many models are in the mix).

I'd wait for the car you really want to buy, accept no compromise (besides Coyote is on 12 months away!).
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #94
prydey
Rob

the way i read it, 4vman is not looking to buy a car, it was merely a hypothetical question.

i also get the impression from over the years, that if 4vman was looking to buy a car, he could make a decision all on his own.

for the record, i would prefer a car that IS quick, over one that FEELS quick. that way, whenever the missus is along for the ride, it would be a lot quieter. (nah, who am i kidding)
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #95
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

In that case, one vote for the car that 'feels' right. At the end of the day you've got to be happy.

Although it is painful listening to tell you about the car you should have purchased. Especially when it's a Commodore!!!
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #96
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

it probably doesn't matter which is considered quicker on the time sheets, by professional drivers

it depends on how it feels to the individual driver. a car may be scintilating if it is launched just right, and changed up at precisely the right moments. if however, the owner cannot either do/or be bothered doing every shift spot on, then the car that feels better is the only realistic option. flexibility and behaviour in traffic are much more important than outright speed, because they are the attributes you need more often than not

if, an auto/manual choice needed advice, once again, the individual is the only one who matters. do they like changing gear or could they not be bothered. the speed difference pales into insignificance when you want to change gear yourself or alternatively, would rather a comfortable relaxed journey

in short, if you cannot feel/see/hear it, it is not worth having, no matter what some journalist tries telling you

Last edited by gtxb67; 21-06-2009 at 12:12 PM.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #97
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a racing car ? by on paper & results.
As a rego street driven car ? both these things would have noting to do with my purchase. you would have to be a rat bag. or a ego clown. to base it on that rubbish!
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #98
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
As a rego street driven car ? both these things would have noting to do with my purchase. you would have to be a rat bag. or a ego clown. to base it on that rubbish!
so when choosing a car, performance shouldn't be part of the criteria??

i think toyota make a wide range of vehicles that you may be interested in!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #99
xtreme
V8 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
As a racing car ? by on paper & results.

i guess im guilty as charged then....some people just love the feel of a V8....I own V8's because i love them, not because other people like them. I'm sure most people who buy a performance car buy them because they want one, and not for an ego boost...

My Collection:

The WEEKENDER:
1968 XT Fairmont (GT rep) - 351 clevo, pacemakers, 2.5" twin system, C10 auto, 2500 Hi-Stall, 3.45:1 LSD, 198 rwkw

The DAILY:
2003 BA GT, Citric Acid, exhaust, headers, cold air intake, 248 rwkw
xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #100
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think there is more to it. then just what was put forward in the criteria.

For example a ED xr6 was put forward in car magazines as being faster then the ED xr8. i have driven both. and the XR8 was a way better car to drive. and as for the test back then. i think the V8 motors were tight and need more KM to free up then the 6 cyl did. the 4.0L was impresive for what it was. but no thanks. the xr8 was a better car.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 11:22 PM   #101
seXCmont
EcoBoostin

he stated that other options were basically the same and that all it came down to geez
seXCmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #102
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i noticed you haven't voted yet 4V MAN!!

so what is your choise??

The Quicker 1 on paper and by results. (fg boss)

The 1 that Felt Quicker to drive... (xw gt)
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #103
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its between a 8 and 6, i'll go the 8.

but seriously, I'd chose which ever goes fastest up the strip, no use having something with grunt just to putter round in 50 zones all the time :P.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post