Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #91
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VFacts Jan 2012 Falcon 950 sales!!!!!!!!!

It will get sales going, that's for sure. Kinda lends some weight to the "I6 is dead" argument too. Not many people will be buying petrol Territory when the diesel is only another $3k...

If XR came with the EB4, and was priced at $36,990 driveaway... Win.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #92
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
It will get sales going, that's for sure. Kinda lends some weight to the "I6 is dead" argument too. Not many people will be buying petrol Territory when the diesel is only another $3k...
I have a feeling that Ford can do better, $36,990 DA for I-6 and $39,990 DA for Diesel

Quote:
If XR came with the EB4, and was priced at $36,990 driveaway... Win.
That would really put it to Ford and they would them know for sure what buyers really wanted.

Last edited by jpd80; 05-02-2012 at 02:07 PM.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #93
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy
100% correct - just like video recorders, CRT televisions and fax machines, big rwd cars are headed for death. That is why Ford are advertising the Focus - people want to buy a car in that sector ....not many want to buy a Falcon.

yeah mate...big gas guzzling cars can be made fuel efficient.
Just trim off a few heavy bits like Mitsubishi did

Makes the package alot cheaper to run...

people will flock to buy a light fuel efficient model...hehehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zruhg...layer_embedded#
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #94
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The real deals will be when the $5,000 lux pack is thrown in for free and $36,990 drive away...
Sooner or later that's going to need to become standard anyway. If both next gen cars get approved they'll need to go ahead with much higher standard spec levels to properly compete with the midsize market.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #95
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The one good thing is that Ford isn't starting off 2012 with a mountain of unsold 2011 cars.
The slate is pretty much clean and they can concentrate on getting SZ and FGII out there,
fresh products should go a long way towards increasing showroom traffic..

Holden won't muck about either, they want every sale out there and are willing to go the extra mile
with warranties and lots of little extras that all add up to a good dealer experience..
Old 05-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #96
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Can anyone remember the last time Ford advertised Falcon? The last thing I can remember is the fingers ad when FG was released. Sure there have been the XR6 ones for previous years stock but thats not really the same. I think its obvious Ford has given up on it. I wouldn't be surprised if there is no replacement at all for Falcon and they have a similar line up to Mazda with just a small and medium range(2,3 and 6) come 2016.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #97
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone read Carsguide in last Friday's Herald Sun one story listed the sales of car segments in the last ten years (I think). No surprise large cars has dropped enormously. One surprise was that small cars hasn't directly taken over that drop in numbers, it's actually the varying sized SUV's that have easily shown a massive growth. One area that Ford has the Territory and aging Escape, with Terry easily as sales leader in that period. If Ford had the Kuga earlier and any other Ford suv-type small car here in that same period it would have grabbed a far greater sales volume in that period. Luckily these vehicles are coming, better late then never. Frankly speaking I can't see how Falcon sales are going to increase by a great deal as it will only do so by directly pinching sales off it's segment competitors rather then bring new buyers into that segment. I hope I'm really wrong. It actually might the case that Territory, Kuga and any smaller SUV-ish siblings will be where the future growth for Ford will be. Could the Terry be the bigger seller in the Falcon/Territory siblings down the track?
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #98
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Territory is probably still a bit big for what the average Australian family seem to be buying in the SUV segment. Buyers seem to want the ASX/Forrester/ix35/Sportage/Dualis/CX5 sized vehicle. I know Mitsubishi sell about 650 ASX's a month, and can't keep up with demand in the Japanese factory.

Kuga and Ecosport are coming, and although it's a little late, as you say, better late than never. The only thing I fear is that Kuga is only going to get a 2.5L turbo petrol engine with a 5 speed auto. God knows who made this decision or why it was made. The combined fuel economy figure is 10.3L/100km, or almost 50% more than the diesel ASX. This will be a hard sell for Ford in a diesel dominated segment. The diesel Kuga won't be here until 2013 according to reports.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #99
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Territory is probably still a bit big for what the average Australian family seem to be buying in the SUV segment. Buyers seem to want the ASX/Forrester/ix35/Sportage/Dualis/CX5 sized vehicle. I know Mitsubishi sell about 650 ASX's a month, and can't keep up with demand in the Japanese factory.

Kuga and Ecosport are coming, and although it's a little late, as you say, better late than never. The only thing I fear is that Kuga is only going to get a 2.5L turbo petrol engine with a 5 speed auto. God knows who made this decision or why it was made.
Kuga is still almost unobtainable from Ford Europe, it's not surprising that they gave us their least popular engine combo...
Old 05-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #100
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, probably true.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #101
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Kuga is still almost unobtainable from Ford Europe, it's not surprising that they gave us their least popular engine combo...
You'd agree though that it's highly disappointing as a Ford fan. In a section of the market (small/medium SUV) dominated by frugal diesel engined cars, that Ford offer an older tech turbo petrol engine with a 5 speed automatic gearbox?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #102
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Kuga and Ecosport are coming, and although it's a little late, as you say, better late than never. The only thing I fear is that Kuga is only going to get a 2.5L turbo petrol engine with a 5 speed auto. God knows who made this decision or why it was made. The combined fuel economy figure is 10.3L/100km, or almost 50% more than the diesel ASX. This will be a hard sell for Ford in a diesel dominated segment. The diesel Kuga won't be here until 2013 according to reports.
Lol, true however maybe the thinking is it's a better powertrain then the current Escape and if we can't get more out of Europe as JPD80 mentioned then to do something is better then do nothing and at least the model gets exposure before the all new version. I'm of the theory now to bring everything over asap and even if it effects your locally produced cars at least you keep the sale within Ford then lose it altogether to the opposition.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #103
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Could the Terry be the bigger seller in the Falcon/Territory siblings down the track?
Without doubt I think. Time to change the banner of AFF ("Australian Falcon Forum") to some pictures of the Terri I think!

I don't think the Terri's too big, actually little different from a Camry in footprint but makes better use of interior space - that's its big advantage that many buyers don't seem to realise.

It's funny going on some of the parenting forums and seeing the complaints about how they can't fit two child seats and a baby capsule across the second row of the nice new "big-looking" Asian SUV (including Captiva) they just bought. Well yes, of course you can fit those into a Terri. They've discovered that big on the outside doesn't necessarily mean big on the inside.

The motoring magazines don't help by listing many of those cars as five-seaters when they are really only 4 1/2 seaters (2 adults and a child).

Last edited by new2ford; 05-02-2012 at 03:39 PM.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #104
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Without doubt I think. Time to change the banner of AFF ("Australian Falcon Forum") to some pictures of the Terri I think!

I don't think the Terri's too big, actually little different from a Camry in footprint but makes better use of interior space - that's its big advantage that many buyers don't seem to realise.

It's funny going on some of the parenting forums and seeing the complaints about how they can't fit two child seats and a baby capsule across the second row of the nice new "big-looking" Asian SUV (including Captiva) they just bought. Well yes, of course you can fit those into a Terri. They've discovered that big on the outside doesn't necessarily mean big on the inside.
and there is a whole new directon of marketing as well, real world, practical requirements that you often don't discover if you don't research properly until in the driveway. I wonder how many know a Terry is shorter then an FG?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #105
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You'd agree though that it's highly disappointing as a Ford fan. In a section of the market (small/medium SUV) dominated by frugal diesel engined cars, that Ford offer an older tech turbo petrol engine with a 5 speed automatic gearbox?
It's disappointing that we suffered so long with old Escape instead of getting new Kuga when released.

As for the other...

Hmmm would have preferred 2.0 diesel, AWD I-5 turbo aims at a different demographic, one more like CX-7 Turbo...
Not sure how that one will play out, dang shame we couldn't have 2.0 EB instead...that would be passable.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #106
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Lol, true however maybe the thinking is it's a better powertrain then the current Escape and if we can't get more out of Europe as JPD80 mentioned then to do something is better then do nothing and at least the model gets exposure before the all new version. I'm of the theory now to bring everything over asap and even if it effects your locally produced cars at least you keep the sale within Ford then lose it altogether to the opposition.
I'm not happy about Ford Europe's dealings with FoA, if they can't deliver, we should build in FAPA, preferably Australia.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #107
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not happy about Ford Europe's dealings with FoA, if they can't deliver, we should build in FAPA, preferably Australia.
Maybe this is where Ford Dearborn could put the heavy on, Ford Aust can't be expected to grow (or be blamed if it cannot) if it's always being left to last for eventual supply.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #108
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only problem with bringing in a new model to Australia with whatever engine Ford Europe give us is that when the Australian motoring media get their hands on it and test it, then write it up as thirsty etc, it's then etched in the buying publics mind as thirsty and can easily damage a new reputation forever. Hopefully this doesn't happen.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #109
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car makers wanting to stay in the top five must fill every key product slot
and if there are glaring gaps on the showroom, they won't get enough sales.

Ford has to make every effort to cast its net as wide as possible...
Old 05-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #110
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

If FG2 XR6 is $37k, how are they going to market the Ecoboost? I don't see it making much of an impact in the private market with XR6 at $37k. What do fleets pay for an XT these days?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #111
prydey
Rob

if ford can sell xr6 for $37k, surely they can price xt close to $30 or $29990. Similar strategy as focus.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #112
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
if ford can sell xr6 for $37k, surely they can price xt close to $30 or $29990. Similar strategy as focus.
I dont think XR6 has 7k more kit in it than the XT. If you start discounting too much then you may as well pack up shop now.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #113
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm really surprised by the level of suprised by the 37K XR6!!! This has been its price from nearly day 1 with FG. How is this news to again?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #114
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I'm really surprised by the level of suprised by the 37K XR6!!! This has been its price from nearly day 1 with FG. How is this news to again?
Probably because it was big news that Ford had dropped the RRP of XR6 from 42k to 39k with FG2 and already a month in they are selling at 37k. I dont understand why they even list a RRP anymore.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #115
prydey
Rob

since dropping the price of the base focus to sub $20k, sales have picked up remarkably. i was just thinking they should adapt a similar stategy with falcon.

i know its not the same, but i was shopping in the used market when looking for my fg, and i only planned on getting a stockie, but i noticed xr6's were only about 5k more so opted for that instead. its probably similar for new cars. why pay around 34k for xt when for 3k more you can have xr6. it has severely dented xr6's image, so much so that everyone wants ford to option it with the ecoboost as they see it as the base model virtually.

on that note, i think its a good move by not offering ecoboost on xr6. it creates a difference between the models again and xr6 is selling well already.

FG2 xt is a pretty good looking car for a base model. they need to price it a bit further away from xr6.

just my opinion
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #116
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Ford were offering customers who had ordered new Falcons that were hail damaged a $500 discount to take them, wow.

Local car industry not looking good at all, bring back tariffs.
Bumping up the already over inflated prices we suffer here for imported vehicles, thereby forcing us to buy a poorer less feature laden inferior product??

No thanks, Ford need to lift their game and make Falcon sell in the face of its competition, rather than penalising us for making a decision based on value and quality.....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #117
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Probably because it was big news that Ford had dropped the RRP of XR6 from 42k to 39k with FG2 and already a month in they are selling at 37k. I dont understand why they even list a RRP anymore.
Which leads me to another point.. I was also surprised people got so excit about these RRP drops.. They were also nothing more than words on a website, the "real" price buyers pay did not change at all, the RRP just got close to the real price...

But 37K is the real right price... Has been for years!! Nothing changed from FG I to II.. XR6's at 35K or lower is Ford discounting, 37K is std!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #118
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Ford were offering customers who had ordered new Falcons that were hail damaged a $500 discount to take them, wow.

Local car industry not looking good at all, bring back tariffs.
This happened to me, the salesman did everything he could to make we wait for the repair before finally informing me of the likely discount amount... which was $500. This is the service you receive when dishing out for an XR6T Ute w/all the trimmings. The salesman wanted to show me the 'repaired' car and flash the keys in my face in person to try and get me to take the car away then and there. Salesman are scum, sorry but that's my opinion after 4 car purchases.. period. So my new car is being built this month to replace the repaired car, which no doubt the dealer will sell as 'brand new' to someone none the wiser.

I ordered in Nov last year... I would have thought my sale would have been recorded then? Surely hail damaged cars sitting on the Ford lot wouldn't have really make a difference to sales? Not unless people pulled out of contracts post-damage. I find it hard to believe that many people really demand an FGII off the dealer lot (which would be the factory damaged cars supposedly not soled)?? Doubt it.
martyk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #119
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54
I ordered in Nov last year... I would have thought my sale would have been recorded then? Surely hail damaged cars sitting on the Ford lot wouldn't have really make a difference to sales? Not unless people pulled out of contracts post-damage. I find it hard to believe that many people really demand an FGII off the dealer lot (which would be the factory damaged cars supposedly not soled)?? Doubt it.
Sales are recorded as registrations, not factory builds.
Ford insists that dealers declare when new cars have been hail damaged
and customers can decide whether they accept them or take replacements.
The hail damage occurred after the plant was shut down for Christmas-New Year break
but there was word that some product was stored at another location and is undamaged.

I'm not sticking up for Ford but dealers have a duty to disclose, not to badger you into accepting
a less than perfect new car that loses heaps the moment you drive off the showroom floor...

A lot of the cars will be pre-delivery repaired using the paintless system to pull out dents,
I hear it's very good on small dents and will probably result in lots of people getting
extraordinary discounts on these new vehicles, they will all be sold...and not for $500 less.

Last edited by jpd80; 05-02-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #120
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Car makers wanting to stay in the top five must fill every key product slot
and if there are glaring gaps on the showroom, they won't get enough sales.

Ford has to make every effort to cast its net as wide as possible...
Bring back the long options lists.

I've been looking for a new second car, so want a small to medium vehicle with all the trimmings. So far it's been bloody hard to find anything we really like. If we could option up what's out there, problem would be solved.

As an example; we like the Focus Titanium with all the trimmings, if I could option the 17in Sport wheels we would have signed the papers last week.
Same goes with the Holden Cruze, the options are limited.

I had a look at the VW Jeta and they have an options list as long as my arm. I'm pretty sure Honda also have a decent options list.

Ford, Holden and Toyota are geared up for Fleet sales; one size fits all.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post