Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #121
Night

Default Re: Shopper docket fuel trap

I run on BBQ fuel so I save more than the "$600 a year" and if your so picky on saving a few cents per litre then perhaps you need to look into it also.

From my experience we have 2 coles in our shopping centre in close proximity. They both have different prices on the same products so what is cheap in one store is dearer in the other, bottom line is if I want to save money then I have to research the prices on everything I want to buy and do 2 shops, can't be bothered really.

With Shell, I find in my area that the shell is usually 1 cent dearer than other petrol stations around. My car runs noticeably worse on shell and I get less mileage out of the tank when I use it so I refuse to touch it. My wife on the other hand uses the shopper dockets everytime at shell to fill her Honda, her choice I couldn't care less what she does. We made a trip to Melbourne not so long ago (in the Honda) and it had a tank full of Shell before we left. On the way back I filled with BP and we got 50 klms more out of the tank. I drove mainly with the cruise control and at roughly the same speeds as I was curious about the different fuel.

I can't see the advantage of shopper dockets for myself but that is for myself, if others think they work for them then that's their choice.
Night is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #122
davistev

I use the local 2 pump Liberty station on OG Road, Adelaide. His prices are always about the same as the big guys .

I buy my Meat at the local butchers, fruit and Vegies from Joes in the Port and everything else at Foodland (Romeo's - family owned).

I believe I save money over shopping at Coles or Woolworths. Savings are real to me.
Old 15-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #123
Ray Bell

I've been getting Woolworths E10 for a long time now... but I don't shop at Woolworths much at all...

There's a Woolworths near to us in a town where there's no Woolworths petrol, people simply leave their dockets in the trolleys and it's easy to pick up one or two when walking by there.

So I get 80 or 100 litres on a docket, it's not quite the cheapest petrol in the town where I do buy all my fuel but close. Then I take the petrol docket with the 80 - 100 litres of fuel on it to IGA and carefully select $30 of stuff I would normally buy anyway, but buy only the stuff that's either on special or at a similar price to Woolworths. They give me 4c a litre off up to 80 litres, so another $3.20 off my groceries, all of which are basically marked down anyway.

It's a game, but it's a money-saving game. Of course, it wouldn't be a lot of use if I didn't use as much fuel as I do. I go through plenty of the stuff. I just wish I was back on LPG again for real savings.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #124
BF-2K7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
I just wish I was back on LPG again for real savings.
careful!! you'll be branded a povo for stating that! lmfao
BF-2K7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #125
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

As stated before alot of ALDI stores are near major supermarkets. And yes I do get a few things from woolies, like coffee as I love international roast, and quilton loves your bum toilet paper. Just buying these two items, is enough to get the discounted fuel. So major shop at ALDI then top up at woolies and still get the discount.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #126
Ray Bell

What's wrong with Confidence toilet paper and looking in the trolleys?

Surely you don't use that much coffee?
Old 15-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #127
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
What's wrong with Confidence toilet paper and looking in the trolleys?

Surely you don't use that much coffee?
Ha Ha Mate I don't care what I wipe my bum with, but the missus dose. And we do use abit of coffee, shouldn't drink so much I guess. Tried all the ALDI stuff and it taste like the expensive stuff (even though it's cheap) people buy, too strong for me.

I was just pointing out that you don't have to do all your shopping at woolies to get the discount. Mate I'm a coverted ALDI men, I bought a 7kg wasking machine from there yesterday. And ALDI catalogues are the only catalogues the missus and I fight over too look at first.

My brother was laying crap on me about all the ALDI tools and equipment that I have in my shed. Then I was quick to remind him that all them tools put his XY together.
Old 15-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #128
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
I love international roast.
Wow, I thought I was the only person who liked that stuff.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #129
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The generic brands at Aldi are still slightly cheaper than the generic brands at Coles/Woolworths.
Plus I have noticed that Aldi cheap brands seam to taste better most of the time.

We used to spend at least $160 a Coles a week and get everything.
We now spend $80 Aldi, $15 Farmers markets, $30 on meat and a few other things at Colesworths.
So $125 vs $160
We don't get too many shopper dockets these days, but when we I do make sure I fill up at least 65L in the car then 20L in the jerrycan. It adds up, especially when we had the 14 or 16c a litre saving, cant remember what it was.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #130
Ray Bell

I'll use more than a tankful (60 litres) this weekend going to work and back... and then there's about 45 litres for my wife and the bit I use during the week. Maybe 150 litres a week, it definitely adds up.

Oh, and for the ride-on mower too...
Old 21-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #131
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know this thread's pretty much ended but I found it interesting today to have in front of me a pile of dockets from a major shop plus fuel today - and dockets from overseas that turned up off the ship with our belongings. I draw no conclusions from it, but the figures are:

Aldi, major shop for all the basic essentials, 36 items - $136
Coles, top up, mostly name brands, 24 items - $151
Total - $287

Petrol for car and tractor, after 8c/l discount on Coles docket $1.57 a litre
(the docket took $7.50 off the fuel bill for 93 litres)

Major equivalent shops in Czech Republic or Germany last year for about 60 items (mostly name brands, few generics) - about $80 - $100

Fuel (diesel admittedly, it's cheaper over there) - $1.50 a litre Czech Republic, $1.60 a litre Germany

My wife's been known to blow $500 in Woolworths if I don't wrestle her to the ground and we steer clear of IGA which is super expensive and good only for a few top ups. IGA has taken over the two formerly cheapest supermarket chains in NSW, Jewels and Franklins and replaced them with the most expensive! Great stuff.

Last edited by new2ford; 21-02-2013 at 09:17 PM.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #132
Ray Bell

No... IGA didn't take over Franklins at all...

Some Franklins stores went into a group still under the Franklins name. Franklins had been bought out by Hong Kong interests who got out and left it, the most profitable stores and those conveniently located for deliveries (as I understand it) remained under the new group in the Franklins name.

Any others closed down. So the owners of the properties sought new tenants, some came in under the group name of IGA. There are now some connections being formed, I think, between the Franklins 'No Frills' suppliers and IGA, I don't know how that works, but as of a few months ago IGA stores started stocking the No Frills products in a few lines.

IGA (Independent Grocers Australia), Foodstore and a couple of other umbrella names seem to operate from one central supply system.

All of them are best seen as shops where their 'specials' can be exploited. If you know your grocery prices and are keen enough to go through the brochures for the things you buy regularly you can keep the bills down.

It was different back in the days when Franklins were in full swing. You could shop there with impunity, they had the full range (unlike Aldi today) and they had the prices across the board so that it didn't matter if you missed out on an occasional good buy at Woolworths.
Old 22-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #133
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No... IGA didn't take over Franklins at all...
Yes I was oversimplifying sorry, it's Metcash:

http://www.metcash.com/about-metcash...od-and-grocery

The Franklins stores are being progressively rebranded as IGA and yes, the No Frills brand is being absorbed. But you can be sure the prices won't stay down at the Franklins levels.

The problem most people would have walking into an IGA for the specials (as in any supermarket) is that are then hooked in to continuing the rest of their shopping in that store. That's what the stores rely on when putting key items on special (notably milk). It requires a bit of discipline (and convenience) to go into one store for the specials and then migrate to another for cheaper lines of the rest. Petrol vouchers are merely another piece of fishing bait to attract the consumerfish.

Fortunately we have Aldi, Coles and Woolworths right next door to each other but, hell, all of them are a financial cold bath after nice cheap shopping at Kaufland in Plzen!
Old 22-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #134
damoose

I read this morning that the ACCC are finally going to step in to stop this practice
about bloody time
Hopefully then we should be paying around $1.35 to $1.40 instead of the massively hiked up prices we have now..
Old 22-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #135
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoose View Post
I read this morning that the ACCC are finally going to step in to stop this practice
about bloody time
Hopefully then we should be paying around $1.35 to $1.40 instead of the massively hiked up prices we have now..
Let's hope so, but I won't hold my breath.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #136
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So yesterday threw $100 of juice in the 4bie
Nice little sign near the shop door
Buy 2 bottles of water save 6c per litre
So i did , spending $100 with there discount purchase saving deal, got 2 bottles of $3.50 water for near free
No shoppa docket involved
Oh and it was the cheapest servo in the town
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #137
Ray Bell

If the ACCC stop the fuel dockets (or any form of supermarket fuel discounting) then Woolworths and Coles will simply get out of the fuel business.

new2ford... if people don't have the nous or restraint to shop like that, they will be ripped off to some degree and they are asking to be.

Milk is probably a 'loss leader', not a 'special' per sé, it's really something no supermarket can afford to have at a price far from the Coles/Woolworths price or they will be considered a 'convenience only store' by their market. Generally there will be a bread line in the same ilk.

And yes, I accept that IGA, Foodstore, 4-Square etc will never be economical for the rest of my shopping. To be honest, I rarely go into either Woolworths or Coles. After getting my fuel discounted at Woolworths I take that receipt to IGA and get milk, bread and items they have on special and get about a 10% discount (4c a litre off, using my Woolworths fuel receipt, on a shop of about $31, maximum of 80 litres discount). The rest I get at Aldi. I might do more shopping at Woolworths if we got their flyers so we knew what they had on special. I only buy on special, and I know what is 'special' and what is merely said to be 'special'.

I am appalled when my wife does any shopping. She brings stuff home that she's thought was a good price, but it's always more than I would have paid. She doesn't know the prices. But not everyone has a head for numbers.
Old 22-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #138
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am appalled when my wife does any shopping. She brings stuff home that she's thought was a good price, but it's always more than I would have paid. She doesn't know the prices. But not everyone has a head for numbers.
Women are an enigma. They can be excellent managers of household finances, but let them loose in a shop and they go berserk, buying $1000 worth of "savings" in 5 minutes. "But look how much money I "saved" dear".
Old 22-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #139
Ray Bell

Mine goes against that trend...

If left to manage our finances she'd be in trouble in the first week. On her own she's okay, but eventually a 'bail-out' is necessary.

She never looks at where the money is coming from. She runs her own little part time business, if a client rings and she's not available and asks for my wife to ring back, she will not ring back.
Old 22-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #140
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
So yesterday threw $100 of juice in the 4bie
Nice little sign near the shop door
Buy 2 bottles of water save 6c per litre
So i did , spending $100 with there discount purchase saving deal, got 2 bottles of $3.50 water for near free
No shoppa docket involved
Oh and it was the cheapest servo in the town
Would have been even cheaper if you had just filled your own bottles from the tap.
Old 22-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #141
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I know one thing fuels gone up again, paid $1.70.9L this morning for BP Ultimate. Lucky it was for the bike, but it actually cost over $20 to fill this time.
Old 22-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #142
davistev

BP Ultimate in Rosewater, Adelaide today - I topped up at $1.55. Thats a 15 cents per liter difference. I guess our Singapore direct fuel is cheaper.
Old 22-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #143
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
A like coffee as I love international roast, and quilton loves your bum toilet paper.
The words International Roast and Coffee should not be in the same sentence
Old 25-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #144
Ray Bell

How right you are!