Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #121
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 
Default Re: Clarkson writes review on his experience in an FPV GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans

I could care less how clever the auto is, I prefer to be in control 100%
I was lucky enough to have Luke Youlden take me around Sandown with him driving my 360rwkw F6, you can have your control just like a manual.... only you don't need to push a clutch, compression lock ups using the ZF to slow and feel slide to get through the corners.
You command the gear you want.
Comparing a 4 banger to a ZF 6 speed auto is like comparing technology 20 plus years apart, and that's how much different they feel to drive too...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 10-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #122
1TUFFUTE
Banned

as far as im concerned his opinion is wrong if he thinks the GT is a fail of sorts. For instance they clearly respect the performance of subis and evos as they are everywhere...and yet our aus sedans match and exceed them not only performance wise but looks and interior and ride quality. And hinting it handles crap is not saying much....the GTs are quickera around a track then the HSVs so far from the comparos weve seen. It just takes someone who knows more than one throttle position around a race track....clown
Old 10-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #123
Phonic
Starter Motor

I'm just amusingly amazed at some of the brand blinded comments in here.

As an automations engineer, I've done work for all the local automotive manufactures aside from Mitsubishi. Ford has the fastest cycle time (time it takes for complete car to roll of the line) of any plant. That means the assembly line workers have less time at each station to complete a set of tasks. As a consequence, fit and finish isn't as good as Toyota's for example who has the slowest cycle time. Now the design of the anchor points and anchorage methods has allot to do with fit and finish, most of the miss aligned gaps in interior trim is rushed work.

In the end Australia's automotive market is small, so you can't expect products designed and only sold here to be of equally finish to all imports yet still offer the size, equipment and performance they do without minimising profits......somthing has to be compromised.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #124
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
I was lucky enough to have Luke Youlden take me around Sandown with him driving my 360rwkw F6, you can have your control just like a manual.... only you don't need to push a clutch, compression lock ups using the ZF to slow and feel slide to get through the corners.
You command the gear you want.
Comparing a 4 banger to a ZF 6 speed auto is like comparing technology 20 plus years apart, and that's how much different they feel to drive too...
if they are as good if not better then a manual on a track then why don't v8 supercars use them?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #125
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
if they are as good if not better then a manual on a track then why don't v8 supercars use them?
Because V8 Supercars totally reflect what works well in road cars. They are half way there though with the sequential setups they currently run.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #126
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

...ok, just saying I prefer shifting gears in a manual.
I actually prefer the feeling of using my left foot too!
Old 11-05-2011, 01:07 AM   #127
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonic
In the end Australia's automotive market is small, so you can't expect products designed and only sold here to be of equally finish to all imports yet still offer the size, equipment and performance they do without minimising profits......somthing has to be compromised.
That right there is the biggest problem with Australian cars...and at the same time the biggest piece of luck Aussie car makers have going for them.

They've pushed the propoganda successfully for decades now that somehow buyers here should just be happy to get four wheels and a roof "for the size of the market", or "for the price we charge". And buyers actually believe it!
The buyers will then overlook all sorts of problems with fit, finish, and quality, just saying "Aww bless 'em...they're trying thier hardest"...and the makers know this, so don't feel they have to really try all that hard.

The big flaw with this is that they will be relying on repeat buyers or brand-loyal customers, as anyone who actually takes a day to wander around several dealerships would see that there are now a lot of other options besides "the big two".

That sort of logic will bite you in the bum one day...
Old 11-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #128
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone else notice he said "it is now fitted with a supercharger and an intercooler" Im fairly sure their not intercooled? ive seen a W2A cooler on one but thought it was aftermarket as it did have 500+ rwkw
Old 11-05-2011, 02:35 AM   #129
Zero_PSI
Banned

I still find this article valid as a "Jeremy Clarkson Review". As usual, it's a comical take on what would be and actual car review.

I don't see why people take his opinions so seriously. He's not trying to promote or demote cars...he's just a guy pointing out his opinion.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #130
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
I think we have a contender for the 2011 awards..
Old 11-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #131
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't everything that comes out of Clarkson's mouth treated as gospel?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #132
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Typical Pommie know all, they still see Australia as the Antipodes and that we are just convicts, at least the ideas for our falcons come from here.

I think this gentleman should stick to driving his over priced euro cars and not bother coming back to Australia.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #133
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
Typical Pommie know all, they still see Australia as the Antipodes and that we are just convicts, at least the ideas for our falcons come from here.

I think this gentleman should stick to driving his over priced euro cars and not bother coming back to Australia.
You are just validating his jokes about Australians.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #134
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

overreaction much?

The guy is an entertainer, people who read his articles, books and watch his shows understand his sense of humor. It is typical British.
Some of what he says in the his article are what many of us have been thinking about the cars for a while now.

People here are just too precious and really personify the bogan mentality many think of Australians.

Relax people.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #135
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
-

Hey at least I don't get cut up when someone pays out on my Focus, what car did you have when you where 19?
lol, that explains everything.

but umm, a pepper red XAGT manual sedan actually.
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 11-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #136
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

...erm...

Don't speak too soon about the Falcon and where the ideas come from...the "bosses" in Australia aren't the real "bosses", and several times the real bosses have threatened to just shut down production here. It's like being a middle manager...you know you're in charge...until someone higher up taps you on the shoulder and reminds you that you aren't...

Clarkson does his job well. He does car reviews without fear or favour, without pulling punches about the bad points, unlike most car reviews written in newspapers which are simply glowing in thier praise.
And if he can manage to do it while taking the mickey out of someone along the way, that's even better...
Old 11-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #137
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
lol, that explains everything.

but umm, a pepper red XAGT manual sedan actually.
little lols at what the carpark at work looked like way back then.. no poof or rice......
Old 11-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #138
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Geez there are some whingers out there.
I thought his review was funny, even though I wanted him to like the GT.
His review is not really far off the mark though. If ford wanted him to write something nice then they should have given him an F6E where he could wax lyrical about the performance of a 6. What we have to remember is that he loves the Aston Martin DBS and has even bagged out Bentleys and others in preference; the GT just does not stack up against these. Yes, he likes the commodore for what it represents for the price, but the GT is not on sale over there nor is any of the other falcons which would be more suitable like the F6E and the G6E-T. You have to remember, whilst the GT interior is not bad it's no record beater, and the bang for buck really only occurs thanks to the engine. The handling on all Fords and Holdens IS comprimised by the fact they are tuned for Australian roads which by world standards, are woeful at best.
Potholes, corrugations, worn surfaces; a patchwork quilt of laziness by corrupt and inept councils is the best way to describe the roads of which our two beloved car manufacturers have to tune their suspension setups to. Of course Clarkson isn't going to be a fan. If he drove the commodore on our roads here too he'd be less than impressed.
Nope, I'm still a fan of JC and I think for the humour and good moments he's brought to our screens he deserves a little more respect.
I think we all need to put his review into context, it's not the end of the world and him spending time in more of the range may have brought him around a little.
As for others who want to criticise Ford on alleged experiences, go troll somewhere else.

Quote: