Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #121
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Whats an appropriate car for a company executive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Ever heard of the term dress for success?

It extends to your haircut, brand of glasses you wear (specsaver or prada), watch, shoes, haircut......AND.....drumroll....car!!
Obviously Betty Klimenko hasn't heard of your theory.
She has tats, wears T shirts, camo pants and boots with Pink/Purple/Blonde hair and drives a 4wd.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #122
MrEL
Sick Puppy

I work everyday repairing lifts in million dollar+ residential houses.
Now to have a lift in your house , there is no argument you are doing ok.
But what is the reoccurring theme is the people who have the flash car , wear the flash gear and talk the talk are living the life on the banks cash.
The people who drive an average top end car , dress like normal people , are approachable and have the time for a chat and offer you a coffee or cold drink as soon as you walk in their door are the ones who have the cash in the bank to back up the image.

There are people who like to show that they have but don't and people who do have but don't make a scene.

I think we can work out where the OP stands.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #123
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I agree with the sentiments that first impressions do last. They do. But I dont agree that you NEED to have the car with the big snobby named badge on it to be successful or to gain respect which is the underlying assumption the OP is asking.

How you dress is important coming to a business meeting. Whether its a cheap suit or a $5k armani suit, not many will know the difference as long as it's tailored properly. How it's worn and how it fits the person wearing it is the key. A clean hair style is also important. Tatts are ok as long as they are not prominently displayed and distracts everyone. Clean shaven is also recommended for men.

The point Im making is, these smaller things are far more important at an executive business meeting than what brand car you drive despite the ignorant belief of the OP. How the person conducts themselves, and how he/she presents themselves to others is of far more importance that what brand is parked in the office car park.

To me a brand just shows me what kind of pay packet you may be on or that you could be leasing that brand of car to be superficial. It doesn't prove to me you are successful. Only ignorant people will swallow that garbage.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
3 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #124
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depending on the industry also. The finance and property industries are probably the most important regarding car selection. A car too "cheap" could make people question if you know what you are doing. A car too over the top might give off a bit of a cowboy image esp in the real estate area. Example GT3 porsche or a convertible Huracan. Business is business after all and peoples respect and opinion do matter when it comes to you making your crust. If you're driving to meet people think wisely.

IMO in other area where your work is only in the office and your car is only in the underground carpark it really doesn't matter if it's a 458 Italia, Landcruiser Sahara or GT-F. Your employees still know you earn 300%+ more than you and it's none of their business what your passions are.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #125
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU-220 View Post
Yeah sometimes i don't read threads properly if you READ my reply few post back you will see

And i'm the culprit and your Apologising to op

HULK will always keep coming back and people will comment on him not the thread itself and he knows it too well that's he post these kind of threads

is there a build thread on his cars ???

The mods must be soft in the way the handle banning him and he turns up weeks later. You wouldn't do that in another Forums, not the ones i'm on anyway

unless Hulk is smarter then we think

geez got that of my chest, i'm going to have a break from this Forum for awhile
until this Forum hardens up

cheers Dean
And it's a point of difference in this forum that it tolerate individuals of all personalities backgrounds and posting style, in what is in reality, a public place, while many other forums are a virtual clique and closed shops. With the experience you have of other forums I'm sure you're well aware that banning, while well intentioned, is ineffective. Personally, and candidly, I find Hulk a trifle annoying at times but he has committed no criminal acts to my knowledge and if posters don't like him, the option of the ignore button works very well. What he does add it something that mixes it up around here, and that's not such a bad thing. The forum cannot please everyone all the time in it's moderation style.

Back to the topic, though I have little memory of what it actually is or if there was one!

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 01-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #126
Danny
GT4.

I had a project a couple of years back in Toorak, the owner of the house was a multi million dollar developer. He had a 2012 Landcruiser Sahara as a Daily (a Bentley Continental GT and a 458 Italia also but he never drove them), the only thing that gave the game away to those in the know was the 2 digit vitreous enamel heritage plate.

Oh, he also had a 1990's rusted Ford Maverick with a trayback because he liked to do his own building, excavating and landscaping, and used it to bring about 200kg of metal items we removed from his house to Southern Rocycling so he could have some cash. Was hilarious to see this guy, a multi multi millionaire carrying his old laundry trough over his shoulder to the ute while the p trap from the waste pipe was dribbling filthy mildewy water all over him - or loading up his old rusted guttering while it dropped dirt and rusty water on him; He wasn't afraid at all to get amongst it. I respected that sort of thing more than anything.

Someone like the OP would drive past this guy in his 10 year old XR6 and likely feel superior to the poor bloke in the rusted Maverick delivering filthy rusted crap to the recyclers. I also imagine someone like the OP would blast past him and feel like "I showed him up".

Hulk, if you rubbed shoulders with some of the people I often do in my line of work, your outlook on the material things in life would be very different.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #127
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Hulk does have a point here, its all about first perceptions that make and break you, its just human nature to judge someone on appearance, and you subconsciously do it.

I run my own automotive repair business, I've made sure specifically that we have neat uniforms, we've got dealership style shirts, with our logo above front left shirt pocket, on our back we have a big variant of our logo and our services we offered printed directly onto the back of them, the colour of the shirt matches our pants, we always wear our shirts tucked in, we have matching belts and either you style your hair or wear a hat (business partner styles hair, I wear a baseball cap).

Our uniforms, business cards and signs all match.

The workshop is cleaned and organised when ever we have a spare moment, I offer customers coffee/cake if they want to wait for their car.

We've been complimented multiple times on our uniform and clean workshop by customers and people out and about when we're in public, these are all things people notice.

How can you justify your costs when you look like a bunch of apes swinging spanners in your own filth? As an observation I've noticed that the small local automotive workshop will have their charges questioned more than a dealership, which will charge you up the *** for everything, but you could eat off their workshop floors and their staff look the part, even their invoices.

But if they rock up to their local automotive workshop which is a mess they'll question everything.

We're not a bunch of grubs with expensive tools, we're professionals and we have to look the part.

Its the same thing when we eventually have a company vehicle, I'm not going to sticker up my beaten up EL Falcon, people do judge you as a business on your looks, if you've got a nice Euro you're probably ripping off your customers and **** those guys we won't use them and will bag them out, if you've got a beaten up car well they must do a **** job look at their car.

Its a fine balance, and it gives you an opportunity to show case your work in my industry.

The people who came and serviced my hoist yesterday rocked up in a beaten up ED Wagon and the first thing I thought to myself was **** I've used the wrong people, I should have gone with someone else but it turns out they're good blokes, did a top job and very helpful.

I still judged them though when they rocked up on that initial face value before I even met them.

Everything is all about perceptions.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-08-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #128
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
If a company executive wore a cheap suit to work everyone would pick him apart. Same for a cheap watch or scruffy shoes.

A dodgy car in the carpark is a chink in the chain.. unravels the whole show.

There are some unwritten rules i think apply to company executives..

1. A more expensive car than majority of staff. Aligned to salary differences
2. A car not older than a few years.
3. I honestly think fords and hyundai etc is out. Too mainstream.
4. Not a fuel miser. Has to be big in size for a bit of presence

Any other requirements
This is where you are wrong Hulk, as usual your posts always has to have elitism in them, my CEO & senior managers don't wear suits as they wear uniforms just like us for Health & safety reasons, most of them drive SUV's like most of us workers, if any I think some of my co workers drive better vehicles than the CEO.
I think you are really out of touch with the modern business these days.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #129
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Perception is just that. Never judge a book by it's cover.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #130
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Obviously Betty Klimenko hasn't heard of your theory.
She has tats, wears T shirts, camo pants and boots with Pink/Purple/Blonde hair and drives a 4wd.
Yeah and Mercedes and amg want nothing to do with her in v8s. And she's struggled in the past, and is still struggling to draw sponsors.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #131
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Hulk does have a point here, its all about first perceptions that make and break you, its just human nature to judge someone on appearance, and you subconsciously do it.

I run my own automotive repair business, I've made sure specifically that we have neat uniforms, we've got dealership style shirts, with our logo above front left shirt pocket, on our back we have a big variant of our logo and our services we offered printed directly onto the back of them, the colour of the shirt matches our pants, we always wear our shirts tucked in, we have matching belts and either you style your hair or wear a hat (business partner styles hair, I wear a baseball cap).

Our uniforms, business cards and signs all match.

The workshop is cleaned and organised when ever we have a spare moment, I offer customers coffee/cake if they want to wait for their car.

We've been complimented multiple times on our uniform and clean workshop by customers and people out and about when we're in public, these are all things people notice.

How can you justify your costs when you look like a bunch of apes swinging spanners in your own filth? As an observation I've noticed that the small local automotive workshop will have their charges questioned more than a dealership, which will charge you up the *** for everything, but you could eat off their workshop floors and their staff look the part, even their invoices.

But if they rock up to their local automotive workshop which is a mess they'll question everything.

We're not a bunch of grubs with expensive tools, we're professionals and we have to look the part.

Its the same thing when we eventually have a company vehicle, I'm not going to sticker up my beaten up EL Falcon, people do judge you as a business on your looks, if you've got a nice Euro you're probably ripping off your customers and **** those guys we won't use them and will bag them out, if you've got a beaten up car well they must do a **** job look at their car.

Its a fine balance, and it gives you an opportunity to show case your work in my industry.

The people who came and serviced my hoist yesterday rocked up in a beaten up ED Wagon and the first thing I thought to myself was **** I've used the wrong people, I should have gone with someone else but it turns out they're good blokes, did a top job and very helpful.

I still judged them though when they rocked up on that initial face value before I even met them.

Everything is all about perceptions.
Great post big damo.. you get it.. you really do..

Im not so sure many others do.. see all the AU owners arc up earlier.. its not about AU falcons.. because they drive them and get all defensive when suggested they are not fit for a company executive. Reality is they are not appropriate.

Just like swimwear is inappropriate in the workplace.. nothing wrong with swimwear (and nothing wrong with an AU) but just not in the workplace for a company executive.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #132
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It all depends on what business you have, for some businesses a it makes a difference and for some it does not.

If my plumber rocks up in an AMG Merc with a chrome plated trailer full of tools I would be concerned, likewise if my real-estate agent turns up in a Datsun 180B or an old rusted out clunker, I would also be concerned, likewise if my real-estate turned up in a mage $$ vehicle I would feel like he might be ripping me off.

In those cases the vehicle should be appropriate to the position, likewise my last manager who would have been on around 200 to 300K plus expenses used to run around in a charade, he did not care for cars, and liked it as it was easy to park, but it had no bearing on his position as deals were done in the office not the car park and most clients would not have a clue what he drove.

Where I live now I mix with farmers who are literally multi millionaires, as well as managers who manage huge farms owned by international co operations, they drive brand new top of the range Landcruisers with 8K bullbars, and 2 grands worth of lights, that would look like nothing special in the city, they wear RM Williams Jeans, Boots, and shirts, that may look like cowboy cloths to city folk, but they are just as expensive as some expensive suits. If someone turned up in a Merc or Audi or BMW, they would be laughed at.

These guys have real money, not pretend money, but they sit at the bar in the local pub covered in dust and mud having a cold beer and a plate of hot chips.

So what is appropriate in one place may be out of place some other place, and in some instances the car they drive may or may not be irrelevant

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

4 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #133
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Yeah and Mercedes and amg want nothing to do with her in v8s. And she's struggled in the past, and is still struggling to draw sponsors.
And this has WHAT to do with the thread ?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #134
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Great post big damo.. you get it.. you really do..

Im not so sure many others do.. see all the AU owners arc up earlier.. its not about AU falcons.. because they drive them and get all defensive when suggested they are not fit for a company executive. Reality is they are not appropriate.

Just like swimwear is inappropriate in the workplace.. nothing wrong with swimwear (and nothing wrong with an AU) but just not in the workplace for a company executive.
It has got nothing to do with the owners of AU’s, it has clearly to do with your persistent little snide remark’s that you continually keep reminding us about.

You say you singled out the AU in your opening post because we all can relate to an AU being this is a Ford forum, funny that a camry is just as well known as a AU Falcon is, but let’s be real here hulky, you know as much as I do and everyone else on here that you have a very strong opinion and hatred toward’s the AU itself as in your eyes it was the demise of Ford Aus, you have mentioned it and been a strong advocate about that over the year’s, so don’t go denying that.

We all know how you play and that you recently don’t come out and word it so direct anymore since your many banning’s over the year’s, but now you rather persist with the snide little remark’s in a hope to fire up those that you know will fire back, it’s just the game you play.

So there fore expect some bullet’s in return, if your going to load the gun and fire expect it to be redirected back at you as not everyone agree’s with your point of view mate.

Clearly why is it not appropriate that an AU Falcon be it a T series or not be just for such a person, there would be many car enthusiast that are either a CEO or a major player in such companies that would and probably do drive vehicles that would put your accusation’s to shame, one case in point is the CEO and founder of community Bank’s and Community Telco/former CEO of the Bendigo Bank which I know personally, he drives and has a love affair for the little old MG.

Last edited by galaxy xr8; 01-08-2015 at 05:56 PM.
8 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #135
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
And this has WHAT to do with the thread ?
Pretty obvious it's a reply to your example of Betty and her image in her company. I was expanding it to show how your thought process is perhaps flawed, as her wild looks and tattoos and her bright colours maybe don't align with many sponsors and their image.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:38 PM   #136
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Is it important in business if an executive uses 2 ply instead of 3 ply?
Does Quilten set a good enough example of success in the boardroom?
Is Glen 20 or striking a match the fitting exec way to cover up the poo smell?
4 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #137
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I agree with your post but I did find myself at odds with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Where I live now I mix with farmers who are literally multi millionaires, as well as managers who manage huge farms owned by international co operations, they drive brand new top of the range Landcruisers with 8K bullbars, and 2 grands worth of lights, that would look like nothing special in the city, they wear RM Williams Jeans, Boots, and shirts, that may look like cowboy cloths to city folk, but they are just as expensive as some expensive suits. If someone turned up in a Merc or Audi or BMW, they would be laughed at.
I like you also grew up in the far north west of NSW yet I’ve seen many Cockies with Merc’s parked in their sheds, along with Landcruisers and a host of other vehicles.

Maybe it’s because many of the properties around home are still owned by families.

I do agree you can’t pick their worth as many look like they have the bum out of their pants but they also don’t fall within the normal realm of a CEO.

------------------

I tend to think there are a number of factors at play in the type of car an executive drives.

First off most of the companies I worked for the tier or level of vehicle available as part of your salary package was already predetermined depending on your position and you chose your preference within that range then the Finance Department along with Fleet Management took it from there.

If you had freedom of choice your car would probably reflect how important a car is to you personally and if the image of your company or your position was important.

Some people like cars and will have the best they can afford.

Some don’t care and will buy something to get the job done.

Some will look at their position and know their image plays a part in marketing the company and will want to reflect a good image regardless of their love of cars or not.

There is no real rocket science here, in most cases it will be a reflection of what you would do in your personal life depending on your demographic and financial position and there will always be exceptions to the rule.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #138
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WOW
Diverse responses through this thread.

Hulk, nice to see you have given us all something to think and or winge about !

Maybe the title should have been, are you a CEO, do you own the company, in what industry, does the company own the car or do you get an allowance, and finally "what do you drive" ?

I mow lawns, self employed, but call myself the "director" , my own company and the vehicle I chose is owned by the company, got the Wildtrak because I have to drive it and didn't want a base model (leather and reverse camera were what sold me), in one small corner of this country I contract to a multi million dollar company who supply the base model mazda utes, and everyone asks me about mine, from the workers up to the exec's driving Audi's (SQ5 & RS7) They are all down to earth enough, some choose to invest in property, others love their cars

What isn't in my sig is that I own a AU2 Fairmont on lpg and have done for 10 years, best car I've ever owned ! Reliable, comfortable and economic.

Would love to "throw" a mower in an FGX, but my mower weighs 750kg and cost $25,000.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #139
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwyn Bishop
Why is the CEO driving? What is wrong with the helicopter?
Very good question Bronnie.
5 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #140
HULK_I6T
Banned

Plenty of you have misread this thread..

Im talking about a company executive... not just a CEO, not just a large corporation. For those that dont know... look up company executive and learn something.

I also didnt mention any car that is appropriate.. but many presume i think it has to be a car that belittles everyone.. sure i think it needs a minimum set of attributes and tick some boxes but not necessarily belittle anyone.

Thats not it..

Being a company executive is about leading people to achieve company objectives, build a framework to achieve. The leader needs to instill confidence, be seen as the top of their game... its not just about competancy, its as much about perception as well.. the dress, the shoes, the brand of eyewear, the food they eat, the people they know, the car...its all a package..
Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #141
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
It has got nothing to do with the owners of AU’s, it has clearly to do with your persistent little snide remark’s that you continually keep reminding us about.

You say you singled out the AU in your opening post because we all can relate to an AU being this is a Ford forum, funny that a camry is just as well known as a AU Falcon is, but let’s be real here hulky, you know as much as I do and everyone else on here that you have a very strong opinion and hatred toward’s the AU itself as in your eyes it was the demise of Ford Aus, you have mentioned it and been a strong advocate about that over the year’s, so don’t go denying that.

We all know how you play and that you recently don’t come out and word it so direct anymore since your many banning’s over the year’s, but now you rather persist with the snide little remark’s in a hope to fire up those that you know will fire back, it’s just the game you play.

So there fore expect some bullet’s in return, if your going to load the gun and fire expect it to be redirected back at you as not everyone agree’s with your point of view mate.

Clearly why is it not appropriate that an AU Falcon be it a T series or not be just for such a person, there would be many car enthusiast that are either a CEO or a major player in such companies that would and probably do drive vehicles that would put your accusation’s to shame, one case in point is the CEO and founder of community Bank’s and Community Telco/former CEO of the Bendigo Bank which I know personally, he drives and has a love affair for the little old MG.
Paranoid... if a current affair has a story about electricity bills and shows a piece of footage, an AU drives past in the backgroung, you interpret that as a snide attack at an AU.

Your wrong about me, i recently owned an AU and it was a good car. But as a company executive i dont think ill buy another. Its as simple as that... no big scandal there.. sorry to disappoint you.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #142
superyob
Banned

Are they not basically the same thing? Company exec/CEO?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #143
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Paranoid... if a current affair has a story about electricity bills and shows a piece of footage, an AU drives past in the backgroung, you interpret that as a snide attack at an AU.

Your wrong about me, i recently owned an AU and it was a good car. But as a company executive i dont think ill buy another. Its as simple as that... no big scandal there.. sorry to disappoint you.
Are you a CE? If so, does this involve the ability to construct correctly worded, spelled and punctuated communiques?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #144
Renegade

Old 01-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #145
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJaVu GT View Post
That is true in some cases but I live by 'If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck'...
Old 01-08-2015, 10:26 PM   #146
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Being a company executive is about leading people to achieve company objectives, build a framework to achieve. The leader needs to instill confidence, be seen as the top of their game... its not just about competancy, its as much about perception as well.. the dress, the shoes, the brand of eyewear, the food they eat, the people they know, the car...its all a package..
Geeze Hulk, not all company execs are like that, you ought to get in the real world mate, I think you been sipping one too many latte!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #147
mattrobbo26

Quote:
Never liked this saying. Most books come with a blurb on the rear cover allowing you to judge the book by its cover.
4 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #148
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

But if your clients do judge a book by it's cover, not much comfort to say aw jeez- "perception is just that."

Hulks question is so wide it needs narrowing.

Like- you are a director of a Corporate trustee of your own superannuation fund- who gives a f what someone thinks you drive.

You are a person providing professional services at a very good hourly rate where public perception is such that a professional who is good and a success has a certain presentation, and you rock up in a car that is way outside the expected presentation, you can kiss business goodbye.

If you are mega wealthy and do not give a f you can drive a crapbox. Saw a mega wealth property millionaire in Toorak that drive a crapbox, wore crappy clothes- but he did not rely on his presentation to make a buck.

That's the thing, are you reliant on people and their perceptions and bias to make a buck? If so, you need to tailor the vehicle if publicly visible to fit that bias. Otherwise you better make sure your business model can survive flouting that perception bias.

It sucks-years I drove a Ford Festiva to an underground carpark of a national firm, all the partners/associates sniggering at me- with their Bavarian machinery. All the while I was putting money into investment property with a view to setting up on my own. But they all knew what sort of money I was on, and thought he is eccentric/tight etc for not rolling for a bavarian, not realizing I was setting up to leave that salt factory. Truth is I knew it was going against me but I did not give a Flying F because my gameplan was such that their perception bias was irrelevant to my personal goal and self interest.

Then I set up my own business- and- first year out I rolled for a Honda Euro-modern, not too expensive, mid line for my perception biased clientele. Because now my clients perception bias was more directly and immediately relevant to my income stream.

It sucks, if it was not for this perception bias I would drive a $2,000 bomb to work.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 02-08-2015 at 12:07 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 12:10 AM   #149
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remind me to check my Dentist's teeth before I sit in the chair.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2015, 02:37 AM   #150
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Pretty obvious it's a reply to your example of Betty and her image in her company. I was expanding it to show how your thought process is perhaps flawed, as her wild looks and tattoos and her bright colours maybe don't align with many sponsors and their image.

Her looks have nothing to do with her success, failure or marketing ability in the V8’s and definitely didn't play a part in the Mercedes-Benz decision not to compete in the series.

Disregarding the silly V8 Racing analogy - when you have the financial backing Betty Klimenko has, doors automatically open.

No-one is going to stop and consider coloured hair and tatts taboo when you command that kind of corporate power.

Surface image may be important to some positions but it isn't the is all and end all of success, when you get down to it, it's what's underneath that counts in your favour.

And today where something like tatts are the fashion accessory of the young and not frowned on like in the past, many a tattooed uni student will grow to become the CEO's of tomorrow.

If the OP had defined the type of work where financial image is important then the posters may find it easier to agree or not.

As it is, there are many differing views of what a Executive or CEO is and that leads to very different perspectives when is comes to offering an opinion.

Last edited by Express; 02-08-2015 at 02:45 AM.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread