Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #121
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why do people keep buying VE commodores?

What makes me laugh is that people actually think one is that much better (or worse) than the other to a point where the other shouldn't be bought!! I mean, cooommmmeeee oooonnnnn take your glasses off for god sake!!

And P.S. I personally think the Mazda 3 is ugly. Yes I'm in the minor group, but looks are subjective!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #122
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
What makes me laugh is that people actually think one is that much better (or worse) than the other to a point where the other shouldn't be bought!! I mean, cooommmmeeee oooonnnnn take your glasses off for god sake!!

And P.S. I personally think the Mazda 3 is ugly. Yes I'm in the minor group, but looks are subjective!!
dont worry i think they are too!! that front end looks like its smiling at me!!! lol
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #123
stevz
Banned

Quote:

Good post, and I totally agree about the Mazda 3, I think it's a ridiculously stupid looking car.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #124
RAPID_BA
Banned

The Mazda 3 isn't the top selling car because it's ugly.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #125
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA
it didn't stop the commode dore
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #126
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovalfan.com
That would not surprise me at all. The trouble is, if they buy another brand they could also be buying the shonky work from that manufacturers workers. . Another unverifiable fact but a mate of mine claims he read somewhere that the best cars to buy are the ones made mid-week, Tuesday to Thursday. Because on Monday the workers are depressed about getting back to work and recovering from the weekend, and on Friday's their mind is on getting the heck out of here for the weekend!
That ol' chestnut has been making the rounds since cocky was an egg.

Quite plausible in days gone bye, but i doubt it would be the case in 2012 with robots and QC.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #127
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

Of course, asking a question about an opposition brand is going to get favourable comments around here.....Seriously doubt it

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #128
Struggo

I have driven had all 3 Aussie made large cars during the last 5 years, thus to be honest my Falcon experience is not the best.

Toyota Aurion
Issues = 0

Holden VE Commodore (Alloytech)
Issues = 0

FG Falcon XR50
Issues = Various dash rattles, air swoosh (when revved hard) near passenger side air bag/glove box, bagding coming off, dirt under paint, exhaust noise now at 70,000km (I suspect cat convertor), warped glove box, front passenger door hinge became loose, rear spoiler became loose, worn drivers side rubber seal (inner door) and so on.

Sure the Falcon wins on drive train, but in terms of build quality, average is understatement.
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #129
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggo
I have driven had all 3 Aussie made large cars during the last 5 years, thus to be honest my Falcon experience is not the best.

Toyota Aurion
Issues = 0

Issues = 0

FG Falcon XR50
Issues = Various dash rattles, air swoosh (when revved hard) near passenger side air bag/glove box, bagding coming off, dirt under paint, exhaust noise now at 70,000km (I suspect cat convertor), warped glove box, front passenger door hinge became loose, rear spoiler became loose, worn drivers side rubber seal (inner door) and so on.

Sure the Falcon wins on drive train, but in terms of build quality, average is understatement.
of course it did...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #130
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Toyota Aurion
Issues = 0

Issues = 0

FG Falcon XR50

interior quality could be better on the FG XR6 i took for a drive!!! besides that i was happy with it. same with the commodores interior. the one i think that was built the best was the aurion. when it comes too performance and handling the falcon wins hands down. my mate has an aurion and let me drive it one day as i was asking him how it went!!! it didnt handle as well as the XR6 but i tell you they are bloody responsive!!! I was rather impressed with it!! I would actually own one!! the VE SV6 would of been better if it knew what bloody gear it wanted to be in!! I think if i ever owned a commodore it would have too be a manual.

Edit too be fair the XR6 was a hire car and so was the SV6 but as i have mentioned before i havent driven too many auto commodores that dont hunt gears and go on!!!
Old 31-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #131
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
I can assure you the Mazda 3 IS ugly. Thats fact

See what i did there?
Old 31-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #132
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I can assure you the Mazda 3 IS ugly. Thats fact
Women love the look of the Mazda 3. They say they are "cute". Now this confirms why I have always wondered, why beautiful women are always seen with ugly blokes.
So it seems these blokes actually do have something in common with the Mazda 3! The ability to attract hot chicks!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #133
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
Women love the look of the Mazda 3. They say they are "cute". Now this confirms why I have always wondered, why beautiful women are always seen with ugly blokes.
So it seems these blokes actually do have something in common with the Mazda 3! The ability to attract hot chicks!
Hey!!! you saying I'm ugly.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #134
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:

Toyota Aurion
Issues = 0

Issues = 0

FG Falcon XR50

With a whole sample of one of each for a short drive. What sort of comparison is that?

For the record, my FG XR50 over two years now has had zero issues, including nil rattles, air noise and the other issues you mentioned. And I'm fussy.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #135
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovalfan.com
That would not surprise me at all. The trouble is, if they buy another brand they could also be buying the shonky work from that manufacturers workers. . Another unverifiable fact but a mate of mine claims he read somewhere that the best cars to buy are the ones made mid-week, Tuesday to Thursday. Because on Monday the workers are depressed about getting back to work and recovering from the weekend, and on Friday's their mind is on getting the heck out of here for the weekend!
Thats a total myth, as most parts of the car are built at different times. The engine, gearbox, diff, panels, electronics etc would all be built at different times, the shell is welded together and then gets painted where it sits for a few days until it dries, then on to final assembly.

So very little of the car is assembled at one time.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #136
Struggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
With a whole sample of one of each for a short drive. What sort of comparison is that?

For the record, my FG XR50 over two years now has had zero issues, including nil rattles, air noise and the other issues you mentioned. And I'm fussy.
Mate don't get me wrong, I love the way she drives. But all the niggles are now becoming a real pain in the .......

To put it into perspective I had the following cars for,

Toyota Aurion (20,000km)

Holden VE Commodore (Alloytech) (40,000km)

FG Falcon XR50 (78,000km and counting)
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #137
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

our next car will probably be a VE v8 wagon or FG turbo sedan.

I've found our BF to be ok, its now got 70,000km and starting to rattle a bit, but the roads are terrible around here and the Bilsteins are a little harsh (awesome on a good road).
I'd like to spend some time in FGs with similar kms to see how they are faring up.
Old 31-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #138
Bossxr8
Peter Car

FG's have the highest quality ratings of any Falcon, and they are rated better than both the VE and Aurion according to the manufacturers internal TGW ratings.

But don't let the thruth get in the way of a good story ie. Falcon quality is crap
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #139
RAPID_BA
Banned

The falcon hasn't always been pretty to look at but if we exclude the ea series it always been a pretty rugged dependable car. Cabbies would be jumping on aurion or ve if they were more durable.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #140
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Q. Why do people keep buying VE commodores
A. Because they are Australian like football, meatpies and kangaroos.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #141
Lefkad

When I was looking at buying my car, I was pretty much set on getting a commodore. My older cousin had indoctrinated me with his VT Calais and then VY SS.

I took one for a drive and absolutely hated it. For me the driving position was awful and the pedals felt like you could park an oil tanker between them.

Going away disapointed, I then went and drove a BA falcon, a newer generation car that would cost the same price and fell in love. Perfect driving position (for my small size).

Loved everything about it except the lack of rear traction but bypassed that by getting one with traction control.

I think people buy the VE because they see at as a much more significant upgrade over the VZ then a FG to a BA. The VE looks completely different wheras although mainly new parts, the FG retains the same shape/stance as older generations.
I must admit, the VE commodore SV6/SS/HSV's do look really good and the LS engines sound amazing

Previous:
(Mercury Silver) FORD BA FAIRMONT GHIA
Lefkad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #142
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia

Ditto
Old 01-11-2012, 01:51 AM   #143
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Q. Why do people keep buying VE commodores
A. Because they are Australian like football, meatpies and kangaroos.
and daewoo cars!!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #144
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:

Old 01-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #145
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id buy a Commodore if they ever get better than a Falcon!!
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #146
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
The falcon hasn't always been pretty to look at but if we exclude the ea series it always been a pretty rugged dependable car. Cabbies would be jumping on aurion or ve if they were more durable.

Around Radelaide, I see Falcons, Commodores, Aurion (which is a 6cyl Camry), Camry's ,Prius and new hybrid Camry's as cabs.

The BF and FG Falcon and VE Commodores are very common....It's only the last 6 months or so, the Toyotas have become a little more common.

So that's not true round my neck of the woods and I work near 2 cab repairers and drive past a 3rd on the way to and from work.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #147
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

If any one has ever driven a TRD Aurion, they wouldn't say they're crap....They'd leave a Turbo BAXR6 behind....Only issue with them is they torque steer like a bastard when served the R/H foot....

Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #148
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Hasn't done me any favours, maybe I need the Mazda 3?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #149
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Nope, up here they dont have any of those, its all Prius, Hybrid Camrys, Passat wagons. I reckon they outnumber falcon cabs 6 to 1.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #150
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
If any one has ever driven a TRD Aurion, they wouldn't say they're crap....They'd leave a Turbo BAXR6 behind....Only issue with them is they torque steer like a bastard when served the R/H foot....

Id LOVE to own a TRD aurion.

the sound they make with induction mods is fantastic.

torque steer you into a tree at moments notice tho lol

Ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post