Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #121
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Nissan settles GT-R transmission class action suit

http://www.caradvice.com.au/41901/re...s-action-suit/

Quote:
Report: Nissan settles GT-R transmission class action suit

September 21, 2009 by George Skentzos

The Nissan GT-R rocked the motoring world when it arrived on the scene, officering truly supercar performance at just a fraction of the price.

Although when the GT-R finally found its way into showrooms it quickly became apparent that there was a consequence for all this performance with the transmission becoming a costly Achilles heel for many owners.

With arguably the worlds most effective and efficient all-wheel-drive system on board, it was a tall order to ask the gearbox to bear the brunt of its performance with many breaking after just a few short months on the road.

The cause was usually the first-generation Launch Control system which could result in catastrophic gearbox failure and a $20,000 repair bill which was not covered under Nissan’s warranty.

As GT-R owners got together to file a class action suit, Nissan had already realised this issue by introducing a softer, new-generation Launch Control system (LC2) in its revised 2009 GT-R.

This dispute has now reportedly been settled with Nissan offering any owners with the first-generation LC system a new 5 years/60,000 miles once they upgrade to LC2.

Transmissions with LC2 will be fully covered by Nissan for breakages as long as VDC is left on – if Launch Control is used without VDC on then any warranty claim is voided.

Furthermore, where Nissan was previously able to detect whether Launch Control had been used without VDC enabled and void a customer’s warranty, it is now Nissan’s responsibility to determine whether operating LC with VDC off was the direct cause of the failure.

So now, if you risk a full launch with VDC off and all is well, you get to keep your warranty.

This decision only applies to owners of the first generation GT-R in the US. All Australian-delivered GT-R’s are the updated 2009 model which means they are unaffected by this issue.

Source: NAGTROC
Old 21-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #122
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So now, if you risk a full launch with VDC off and all is well, you get to keep your warranty
You are covered by warranty unless you break it......

FPV are sub-contractiing to Nissan now?????
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #123
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

God thats embarrassing for them. What happened to that rumour of the engines needing to be rebuilt every 30,000k's or so?

I had a quick look at that forum, and R35 owners claiming 1/4 runs of 11.xx. Our humble G6ET is running high 12's and it seats 5 pretty comfortably! Apples and oranges I know but if you looking at trap speeds then $100k of modding would get you there pretty easy, heck $10k would. Anyway, I would get a second hand Porsche with $150k.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #124
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
God thats embarrassing for them. What happened to that rumour of the engines needing to be rebuilt every 30,000k's or so?

I had a quick look at that forum, and R35 owners claiming 1/4 runs of 11.xx. Our humble G6ET is running high 12's and it seats 5 pretty comfortably! Apples and oranges I know but if you looking at trap speeds then $100k of modding would get you there pretty easy, heck $10k would. Anyway, I would get a second hand Porsche with $150k.
The gearboxes haven't lasted long enough to get an engine to 30K's yet...
Im not sure 1/4 mile times are a good way to measure the real performance potential of cars like this though....

Old 21-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #125
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

You know where there is a second hand GT3 for $150k? Or do you mean just an ordinary 911 that will have no chance of getting near a GTR.

0-400m is a type of racing that is as applicable to supercars as the Paris to Dakar rally or the Mud Trials.

How about 0-10m, the GTR would be only fractions of a second faster than your AU.....

edit: oh no, not another tag team event..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #126
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The gearboxes haven't lasted long enough to get an engine to 30K's yet...
Im not sure 1/4 mile times are a good way to measure the real performance potential of cars like this though....
Well no I couldn't see a G6ET owners bagging out a GTR guys..LOL...just a simple comparison on a small aspect, but one in which is used quite frequently. Jesus guys calm down, wasn't about to do a full comparison, although I bet Wheels has thought of it.

I just recall reading something about the fancy pants lining in the cylinder walls that had a low life span.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #127
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must admit i find it midly amusing that people are comparing the w427 to the gt-r.
To be a real fair comparison lets compare the shops . Hsv vs Nissan = corner store vs Woolworths it simply not fair. The w-427 is a donated commordore with a bought engine bolted together with cosmetic changes. The Gtr is a global car that has been built from the ground up with a massive budget and state of the art technology.
The gtr does have its faults but for the price they are asking you would have to expect it . If you drove like you would your falcon or commodore daily just going with traffic im sure it would hold together .
As for them not covering it for racing/drags at the track for warranty . Do you really expect them to i would not.
An really How many really quick cars are that durable at the track you play you pay.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #128
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
I must admit i find it midly amusing that people are comparing the w427 to the gt-r.
To be a real fair comparison lets compare the shops . Hsv vs Nissan = corner store vs Woolworths it simply not fair. The w-427 is a donated commordore with a bought engine bolted together with cosmetic changes. The Gtr is a global car that has been built from the ground up with a massive budget and state of the art technology.
The gtr does have its faults but for the price they are asking you would have to expect it . If you drove like you would your falcon or commodore daily just going with traffic im sure it would hold together .
As for them not covering it for racing/drags at the track for warranty . Do you really expect them to i would not.
An really How many really quick cars are that durable at the track you play you pay.

Funny enough on here if your falcon was breaking like the GTR seems to have been, it would be jihad time on Ford.
Old 21-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #129
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You know where there is a second hand GT3 for $150k? Or do you mean just an ordinary 911 that will have no chance of getting near a GTR.

0-400m is a type of racing that is as applicable to supercars as the Paris to Dakar rally or the Mud Trials.

How about 0-10m, the GTR would be only fractions of a second faster than your AU.....

edit: oh no, not another tag team event..........
Perhaps prices are inflated up in the bush...Not a new spec but a GT3 nevertheless, and his negotiable. (edit: make that her..LOL)

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...s=17&silo=1011

But it seems this baby would be enough to beat the GTR after a few laps as it would DNF anyway....

Just off for a Japanese company to have done so much work and to be having issues.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 21-09-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: got the details wrong of the owner...he is actually a she
Old 21-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #130
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
Have two friends one with a GT3 (996) and one with a 997 Carrera S

Both track their cars regularly without any issues whatsoever!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #131
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Funny enough on here if your falcon was breaking like the GTR seems to have been, it would be jihad time on Ford.

No doubt , but not if i was at the race track .
I dont expect my falcon to last long at all if i was driving it within a inch of its life all time doing burnouts and 1/4 miles all the time . If it broke like the nissan has been and it was been driven within the road rules . Your right there would be all hell to pay.
Old 21-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #132
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Have two friends one with a GT3 (996) and one with a 997 Carrera S

Both track their cars regularly without any issues whatsoever!

Whats rrp on these monsters ?
you could include 10 gtr gearboxes 5 sets of treads and a couple sets of stoppers .
Old 21-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #133
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

The 997 was pretty much optioned with everything and was around $257k on road.

996 is an older car (circa 2001) - i think you can pick them up for $115-$135k now i think
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #134
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
The 997 was pretty much optioned with everything and was around $257k on road.

996 is an older car (circa 2001) - i think you can pick them up for $115-$135k now i think
Well i overshot the mark a little, but i think you get my point and unless the have the same performance it still hard to compare because we all know how much seconds cost hell how much do tenths of seconds cost.
Old 21-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #135
Teflon Turbo
Banned

I would buy one in a instant (R35 GTR).

they are S P E C I A L !
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post