Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #121
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I was always given **** at school for being a Ford fan. I grew up with Fords in the driveway, so of course I would be a ford man, however I was also able to give credit to nice commodores, I loved the VS clubbies and I dreamed of having a GTS. I had an XE wagon, my mate had an XF S Pack sedan, another mate had an orange Zephyr. The only holden I remember at school was a kingswood with a 253 motor. I think it comes down to what you have grown up around, also what the cool kids at school are doing. My really good mate, his family had a VS berlina wagon, then got a statesman. His first car was a VK but it had a factory bodykit and a red motor or something, after that died he got an ED and has fords ever since.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #122
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Commodores sound like my iPods. They seem good. Are very popular and everybody has one. So you buy one. You later then have a bunch of problems with it.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:03 AM   #123
Belial
Clevo Mafia Muscle Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
Everytime I go out cruisi... woops I'm a P plater, Hooning* there is always more commodores then fords, most of them have VN's, VS's and VT's.

Theres non of this "oh they handle better when going around corners at precisely 42kmph"
P platers couldn't give two hoots about that stuff.
Sole reason, Its a commodore, you can get body kits that make them look tough as nutz, they're cheap and that's pretty much it.
My neighbor is a Commodore driving p plater and im always over at his or vise versa looking at body kits he wants to get and Im gonna' say it, they look 5x better then any ford body modification.

Holden's performance range look totally different and meaner then the standard range of commodores, where as the ford performance range can look almost identical to the stock/lower performance range of vehicles (im talking 90's here)
So the holden un surprisingly comes out on top because you can get mean as hell looking kits for them
By no means an attack at you mate, as we have agreed on many things on here.
But I think you hit the nail on the head....
"So the holden un surprisingly comes out on top because you can get mean as hell looking kits for them"

Stick fiberglass or plastic body kit's on 'em and they become better.

There's the answer to the thread right there!

Daily
FPV GS Manual Sedan. (1 of 20)
now 360rwhp thanx to Blue Power Racing
"Global warming..." " I'm doing my part!"

Also a member of the Clevo Mafia.
You hit me, we hit you!
&
Metal Jacket Muscle Car Club
Old 05-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #124
Belial
Clevo Mafia Muscle Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Your point may be valid. I just think you signature its perfect for someone of your age!

It's like "Holden" or "Ford" stickers across the windscreen.

Almost everyone knows what you have and those who don't, don't care or understand!

Daily

You hit me, we hit you!
&

Last edited by Belial; 05-02-2011 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Grammer
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #125
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial
Your point may be valid. I just think you signature its perfect for someone of your age!

It's like "Holden" or "Ford" stickers across the windscreen.

Almost everyone knows what you have and those who don't, don't care or understand!
How about you quote my post next time you reply to me..

What does my signature have to do with this thread btw? The OP asked why there are more P platers with Holdens on the road than Fords? I gave my opinion, being a P plater who has had both cars.
I know it's falling on deaf ears saying it on a Ford Forum but believe it or not it's the general consensus.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #126
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
By no means an attack at you mate, as we have agreed on many things on here.
But I think you hit the nail on the head....
"So the holden un surprisingly comes out on top because you can get mean as hell looking kits for them"

Actually I think Commodores without bodykits are nicer. Never liked bodykits too be honest unless it's a factory bodykit like a HDT one, or something.

I always feel like kicking the guards in of all these VNs-VSs getting around with late model HSV kits. Nice, and simple is what I like.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #127
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Actually I think Commodores without bodykits are nicer. Never liked bodykits too be honest unless it's a factory bodykit like a HDT one, or something.

I always feel like kicking the guards in of all these VNs-VSs getting around with late model HSV kits. Nice, and simple is what I like.
Have to agree, i think a commodore that has been suitably lowered with nice wheels (No chrome) is much more apealling then one with a later model bodykit that isnt painted and half hanging off.

Edit- and a camber kit in the rear aswell
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #128
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:

You seem to be overlooking the fact that we're talking about P platers, and trust me, everyone i've talked to who owns a commo ends up getting in a discussion about which HSV bodykit they want for the car.

I must admit tho, some of the clubsport kits look kinda cool.

Not as cool as my mates dad's EL wagon with BF XR6 front bar moulded on tho
Old 05-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #129
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

theres a p plater in my area with a vt and the kit looks alright but the front bar is beige, the car is gloss black. looks so weird lol.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #130
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
You seem to be overlooking the fact that we're talking about P platers, and trust me, everyone i've talked to who owns a commo ends up getting in a discussion about which HSV bodykit they want for the car.

I must admit tho, some of the clubsport kits look kinda cool.

Not as cool as my mates dad's EL wagon with BF XR6 front bar moulded on tho
I say keep body kits on the cars they came out with from factory, don't mix and match because it looks gay and you should be shot.

So many V6 VT execs getting around with clubsport kits in my area, hate every one of them.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #131
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
They wrap themselves around power poles better then the Falcon??
Reviewing 5 pages of posts I think this one comes closest to the mark. In my observations over the years Commodores let go of their rear end very easily compared to the Fords. This obviously gives the young darlings a thrill - pity the poor other driver on the receiving end of a Commodore sliding backwards through an intersection.

I once had to move forward through a red light to avoid one of these idiots going into a slide on a right turn and I'm always seeing Commodores doing little slides. Yes, Commodore drivers indeed! Perhaps one day Holden might consider making as good a car as Ford and help remove these idiots from the road.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #132
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Perhaps one day Holden might consider making as good a car as Ford and help remove these idiots from the road.
That will just mean there still idiots but in better cars
Old 05-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #133
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You do realise that you can find the answer to this question very easily.

JUST ASK THEM.....

Of course you may not understand or accept the the answer but remember you are asking THEM why THEY do what they do.

Trying to push them into thinking the way that YOU think because they disagree with your ideas and therefore must be wrong is the reason why we so many stupid restrictive road rules, speed cameras every 10 metres yet allow the crappiest drivers in worn out unsafe cars to roam freely.

A question to ponder.

Can you logically explain why you drive a Falcon without any reference to emotion?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #134
mick10010

Whatever floats your boat.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #135
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I turned 18 and got my P plates all my mates use to brag about their commodores, I was always a Ford man, I had my Cortina which I knew would blow the doors off any of my mates cars anyway.
I wanted to do something different so I bought a 1979 450SE mercadies, Quad cam 4.5L v8 165kw.
This $1200 beast was my daily and put to shame alot of VN-VS v6's, even the occasional SS.

This was all put to an end when I allowed a designated driver to drive it home for me, we got 2km before the idiot kicked it out into a wall.

Had 6 or so more cars since then but that was my fav P plate hoon car.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
Old 05-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #136
Belial
Clevo Mafia Muscle Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
How about you quote my post next time you reply to me..

What does my signature have to do with this thread btw? The OP asked why there are more P platers with Holdens on the road than Fords? I gave my opinion, being a P plater who has had both cars.
I know it's falling on deaf ears saying it on a Ford Forum but believe it or not it's the general consensus.
No need to quote your post, if I'm not referring to it.

Other members have been mentioning how "Image" and "Peer Pressure" have factored in to P platers buying a particular brand of car.

If image IS actually important to these people, then my original response is apt.

A P plater may in fact choose to buy a Holden
A P plater may in fact be more likely to have "GOT19S" as a number plater.

(I wasn't having a go at you before and I'm not now.)

Daily

You hit me, we hit you!
&
Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #137
CANFRY
Ba xr6

well im 19 and on my p's and almost all my mates that drive commodores either do because there parents like holdens more or if they drive a holden ute its because all holden ppl hate the gap between the tray and the cab on the ford utes.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #138
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm starting to look at VZ S utes mainly because there is **** all manual falcon xr6 utes..and the ones that are around are so over priced compared to the auto.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #139
Trendseeker

Because Commodores are cheaper to buy second-hand. Fleets buy more Commodores than Falcons, so there is a higher supply of second-hand Commodores and therefore they have a lower resale value. My last 5 cars were Commodores. The first two were company cars that I handed back after 3 years. The next 3 were novated leases and I purchased the car after the end of lease (4 years) and sold them privately. Guess who the buyers were? All young guys. There are so many for sale at any given time it's a buyers market.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #140
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You do realise that you can find the answer to this question very easily.

JUST ASK THEM.....

Of course you may not understand or accept the the answer but remember you are asking THEM why THEY do what they do.

Trying to push them into thinking the way that YOU think because they disagree with your ideas and therefore must be wrong is the reason why we so many stupid restrictive road rules, speed cameras every 10 metres yet allow the crappiest drivers in worn out unsafe cars to roam freely.

A question to ponder.

Can you logically explain why you drive a Falcon without any reference to emotion?
I could probly think of quite a few reasons why, but they just don't really explain why kinda thing, it's in my soul, is the ultimate reason for me....
So therefore logically.... i cannot answer that one...

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #141
falconfumble

i think its more affordibilty, having own a couple of c'dores my self the price and parts cost were a big factor in our decision at the time....but we choose to have a ford this time for comfort and realibilty....if you enjoy sitting on milk crates and have it handle like a go cart on rough road then buy a c'dore cause thats what it feels like
Old 05-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #142
blueoval_01
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
There's a few reasons why I think

-Holden has a long, ill-founded reputation as being "Australia's own car". It's culturally tied into the Australian dream of a white picket fence, 1/4 acre block and a new Holden in the driveway. The Holden is seen by many as the obvious choice when picking a car, whatever your needs (why else would the diabolical Barina sell so well?).

-Commos can be bought really cheaply and provide much more bang-for-buck than a Corolla or other Jap car, which are usually the twice the price in used car yards, but half the car.

-Their dads are Holden fanboys - mine is a Holden diehard and for years he's been trying to get it into my head that Holdens are king.

-Their mates all drive Commos - consciously or subconsciously they buy Commos because they want to fit in, and their mates won't give them ***** for driving one.

As for why Holden fanboys hate Fords, and why Ford fanboys hate Holdens?

Both the red and blue team have a massive inferiority complex to each other.
-The Falcon has, in most cases, been a more refined, better built, more advanced and a better choice than the Holden equivalent. This goes right back to the sleek and very trendy looking (at the time) XK Falcon and the FB Holden that had fins, which were way out of date at the time.
Most Holden fanboys know that Ford make a better product. Also, they see the Falcon as a kind of invader to their Holden-owning Australian dream territory. This creates insecurity within the Holden team, and they come to dislike the Falcon.

Ford boys are just as bad, except there aren't as many of them. Despite the Commo being an inferior vehicle to Falcon, the Commo has outsold the Falcon for a long time. It has a great reputation as the all-Aussie family hauler, a great car that it's owner can be proud of, always gets good write-ups, whereas the Falcon has a reputation for being a big thirsty unreliable boat (even though they aren't). People are always hanging ***** on the Falcon, because it hasn't got the golden reputation of the Commodore to counteract poor quality and reliability issues which have plagued several models of Falcon and Commo (EA, BA, VN, VT etc). This makes the Ford boys upset, thus they learn to hate the opposition.

Sorry to get all psychoanalytic on ya
Mate you are totally correct in everything you said, my first interest in cars came as an air headed 17 year old when i bought a VK Calais, to me there was no other car and it was all about the"Aussie image" however as i grew out of my immaturity i got sick of the roughly built commodore and moved on to an XE ESP.....Needless to say the rest is history LOL
Old 05-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #143
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

I used to have my mates in their commo's sayin how much more Aussie Holden was....

It's funny how things work, cos now Ford is far more Aussie than Holden is...

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #144
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
I'm starting to look at VZ S utes mainly because there is **** all manual falcon xr6 utes..and the ones that are around are so over priced compared to the auto.

Don't give up mate!! Once you find a 6spd XR6... The only thing better would be a manual XR8....

That's not havin a go at you either. Just my opionin based on experience...

Old 05-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #145
RAPID_BA
Banned

Kids or p-platers just wanna do burnouts

The commys have that short first gear which makes p-platers feel big at the traffic lights races. Its all about whos quicker

I know the falcons are just as quick but not generally off the line.

Also falcons are smoother, p-platers like the jackhammer feel of driving a commy.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #146
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip04
I used to have my mates in their commo's sayin how much more Aussie Holden was....

It's funny how things work, cos now Ford is far more Aussie than Holden is...
How is Ford more Australian? Ford's range is made up mainly of foreign designed cars pretty much like Holden's is.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #147
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Fact - Toyota has the highest local content of Aussie made components etc, followed by Ford, and lastly Holden.
They are just hovering over the 51% marker purely for marketing purposes ie- all australian blah blah.

Truth is no Holden upto VE was uniquely 'All Australian' in its design as their hype suggests.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
Old 05-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #148
My32Doors

Falcon's are an "old man's car" according to my young bloke! He drives a Fiesta. I just clipped him behind the ear!!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #149
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's been this way since I got my P's in 1998. I had an XE, everyone else has VB, VH, VL etc. I think it's a case of young boys being very impressionable and very eager to follow the herd in buying a Commo regardless of what their own personal preference may be.

It's like, do we watch the Simpsons, or do we watch Family guy?? sure they're both funny but we can only choose 1 and most people are gonna watch the simpsons so that's what we'll all be talking about tomorrow and I don't wanna be out of that loop even though I really wanna see Family Guy.

Plus, how often do you hear Holden bogans paying out on Fords for breaking down, rusting, heap of crap, wouldn't pi$$ on it, lets burn it etc etc.. now think how many Ford owners talk the same of the Commo. It's almost like two different mentalities, Holden being the more aggresive, vocal and dominant.. no wonder young boys feel they need to conform.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild

Last edited by jamesson1980; 05-02-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #150
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
How is Ford more Australian? Ford's range is made up mainly of foreign designed cars pretty much like Holden's is.

You haven't heard how much of the new 335 GT is aussie developed?? Well, the engine anyway..
Oh and i'm reffering to the falcon vs commodore, which is more, don't really care for mondeo's, focus's and the rest... as good as they are.

Closed Thread