Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: Do you like the look of the AU (std) headlights?
Not fussed really. 43 23.76%
Yes, love them. 48 26.52%
Would change them if I could afford to. 50 27.62%
Worst part of the car. 40 22.10%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 25-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
haha nothing like it....
the pic you put up is covers over the outside.....
the ones dok has done is.modified the reflector with a projection beam...., modified the insert to have a bit of an "eyebrow", then paint the insert black....
Well said Wayne. Those "nasty looking" covers make the AU headlight worse IMO & I reallt didn't think that was possible. :
Old 25-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
The lights are top notch ... attention to detail is awesome .... tried fitting the, the morning after the AU picnic day .... and ... it didn't go so well.

Nothing wrong with the new light and cable ... just a case of trying to disconnect the old HID system and remove other wiring to put these in place.

When i get some time I will get them done (hopefully tomorrow).

I need to sort out the old wiring and I hope the guys that installed the spotties ran the trigger wire for them off the high beam insert cabling and not off the low/high beam loom.

As I found out on the way home that I stuffed the high beam insert on the old set of lights and hence had no spot lights on the freeway at night .... also stuffed the old driver's side low beam along with the highbeam ... so all I had on the way home was the left low beam and the ИИИИy highbeam on that side in the pitch black dark ... that was gerat ... Bec enjoyed driving with limited light.

Hoping to sort it all out though ... need to remove the battery to remove the HID system ... i might play it safe and take it to a trust auto electrician though and tell them the entire story ... also show them the jump loom as well.

And The Dok has seen first hand what HID globes can do to reflectors ... he saw the nice burn in patch and the discoloured lenses ... but that's on the crappy headlights though.

I am not risking the same thing with the new headlgihts though.

Will rummage around for some hose clamps as well to keep the rubber seals in place too.
Thanks Simon, you should be better off with the new one's, I really couldn't believe how much the altezza's had deteriorated. Glad you made it home ok, was a treat to finally catch up with you, hopefully (if/when) you return to our part of the world, we can meet up again. _2:
Old 25-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
eminvil_12

lol nothing like it.
I didnt think it was a cover, i thought the inserty was painted.

Im not too car savvy yet ;)
Might have to check though more pics in this thread
Old 25-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I think next time I am dwn in Melbourne .... I'll be coming down via plane and hiring a car ... Bec and i really didn't like the trip via the Hume Hwy ... no wonder there's 50 million "take a powernap" signs on the highway.

If I do drive down I'd prefer to take the coast road even though its much longer.

Seriously though I can't believe how smooth the BA front conversion looks though ... much neater than i thought ... and i must admit the wagon is in top condition ... you must be a real perfectionist if you think it needs a respray ... hee hee
Old 25-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think next time I am dwn in Melbourne .... I'll be coming down via plane and hiring a car ... Bec and i really didn't like the trip via the Hume Hwy ... no wonder there's 50 million "take a powernap" signs on the highway.

If I do drive down I'd prefer to take the coast road even though its much longer.

Seriously though I can't believe how smooth the BA front conversion looks though ... much neater than i thought ... and i must admit the wagon is in top condition ... you must be a real perfectionist if you think it needs a respray ... hee hee
You're too kind Simon, but thank's for the compliment mate. I probably try too hard to achieve 100% in whatever I do, so anything less seems like a compromise (including headlights). Having spoken to "Duffman" earlier, he informs me he is about to install a HID kit in headlights, so lets see how he goes with that, might be worth you re-considering once he posts some pics? At least you can say you did it (the drive down & back), I would not be so keen, would easily take me twice as long, stopping every 100km or so to chamois the car lol.
Old 25-04-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/hid.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...dprojector.jpg

Pics a bit blurry
Old 25-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

whilst it looks good........i would seriously be careful running HID's in those projectors....... they are plastic and i have seen them melt with regular wattage halogen globes.
i run HID's in my BMW projectors ONLY because they have metal reflectors in them...

personally.......................i wouldnt
Old 25-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

That was a concern when putting them in. I will keep a close eye on them but when putting your hand infront of the light its actually cooler then before when it had the old bulbs in it. The old ones put out a hotter light but im not sure if this really means anything in terms of reflector damage.

Ill watch them closely if anything starts to happen will remove them but ill keep everyone posted. At least with the sides of the projector exposed it makes it easy to view inside it to make sure everything is aok.
Old 25-04-2006, 09:21 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Let us know how it goes .... I know the HIDs run cooler ... but I found in the Altezza style headlights the reflector area had a burn patch immediately above the exposed the HID ARC. It may have caused a hot spot on the reflector itself.

WOuld love to see on-road beam pattern shots though with the HID in and working.
Old 25-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

duffman, can you take a pic parked by the same fence as per your post above, so we can compare the difference.....
Old 25-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #11
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I have gone out taken some pics of them. I didn't have a spare wall around to take pics of them on but will hopefully do that tomorrow night. When touching the front of the headlight its alot cooler then it was with the old halogen bulb hopefully this transfers to non-burnt reflectors.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/hid2.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/hid3.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/hid4.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/hid5.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/hid6.jpg
Old 26-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
TUF514
Banned

are these available for purchase?

if so, can you let me know a price.

thanks.
Old 26-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #13
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpieez_xb_ute

thanks.
I have already responded to your email (yesterday/Tues), if for some reason you did not receive it, private message me via the forums & I shall forward my earlier response. :
Old 27-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Duffman .. definitely need to take a wall shot .... the lighter the colour of the wall the better.

I'll try and get some shots against the garage door soon ... and with upgraded globes as well.

All I can say is peripheral vision is SOOOOO much better ... and no stray light above the beam cut-off.
Old 27-04-2006, 11:39 AM   #15
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Duffman .. definitely need to take a wall shot .... the lighter the colour of the wall the better.
I'll try and get some shots against the garage door soon ... and with upgraded globes as well.
All I can say is peripheral vision is SOOOOO much better ... and no stray light above the beam cut-off.
Looking forward to some (more) images, maybe you & "Duffman" can stage a "light off" :jab:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpieez_xb_ute
thanks.
Have replied but as your inbox is full. I've done all I can! :
Old 28-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I would upload mobile phone pics ... but Vodafone PXT servers have cacked their pants ... and don't want to play nice ... LOL

Still need to adjust the headlights to the left a bit though ... can tell by the "V" lines on the road when driving in front of me ... they veer off to the right slightly.

Just picked up Phillips Blue Vision 4000K globes in H1 format.
Was going to get the Crystal Vision/Diamond Vision ones ... but they aren't ADR approved ... and Autobarn had a tester there with all the different tyres of globes ... the higher colour temp 4300K and upwards actually dropped in light output ... the 4000K was the brightest there .. and was very white ... where as the others that aren't ADR approved started diminishing in light quality in favour for colour.

So far I have pics of the standard H1s in place ... and also a blurry pics al off lights on in the carpark (blurry cos the phone camera was having heart failure trying to adjust lighting to take the pic.)
Old 28-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #17
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Im not sure what it is but these lights seem to disable all cameras around them ;)
Old 28-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #18
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
Im not sure what it is but these lights seem to disable all cameras around them ;)
I think I have accidently sent you the Victorian model, my bad. They were designed to deflect speed camera images........ :hihi:
Old 28-04-2006, 05:46 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
I think I have accidently sent you the Victorian model, my bad. They were designed to deflect speed camera images........ :hihi:
Hahahahaha ... Gold.
Man I nearly fell over in shock at the amount of camera on the freeway on the north side of Melbourne.

Every million dollars the government makes ... they must put up another one of those blue poles.
:nutsycuck :nutsycuck : :

Bracks is a speed camera nazi.
Old 28-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #20
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hahahahaha ... Gold.
Man I nearly fell over in shock at the amount of camera on the freeway on the north side of Melbourne.

Every million dollars the government makes ... they must put up another one of those blue poles.
:nutsycuck :nutsycuck : :

Bracks is a speed camera nazi.
Sadly I must agree. Great story in todays paper regarding some "graffiti" that has been on a Princes freeway overpass "for some months now", however, same freeway, different overpass, further along, more graffiti, only this time the "graffiti" was worded "speed camera" pointing to a "camouflaged" overhead camera...........it was cleaned off within hours.
Old 28-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

hahahaaha ... camera works (kinda does on the phone) ... bloody Vodafone doesn't ... LOL.

Just tried it now. Still stuffed ... dammit.
Old 28-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I remember seeing something on the bridge ... saying "Shame shame shame" ... I think.
Or something along those lines.

It's amazing some words are more "noticeable" than others
Old 28-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #23
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I don't know how you guys can live down there. In qld you rarely see speed cameras but they are about every now and then. Mostly their white 4wd's but they are noticable.

The thing I hate the most is if I head home on a friday night late say around 11pm you might see a speed camera but you never see a rbt. I mean come on its Friday night how many drunks are out there they should be catching instead.

Back on topic I drove for about 20 mins with HID on got out and felt the outside of the light and it was very very cool. I mean before it use to be very warm where the beam is but now its like the light isnt even on. I hope this means no damage.
Old 28-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Mine was the same as well.
Was cool to the touch on the outside of the lens.

But it could have been to poor quality lights that I used to have as well ... that the HID caused the damage to ... so not sure how it will go in the Genuine Ford Headlight. (very different construction)
Old 28-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #25
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mine was the same as well.
Was cool to the touch on the outside of the lens.

But it could have been to poor quality lights that I used to have as well ... that the HID caused the damage to ... so not sure how it will go in the Genuine Ford Headlight. (very different construction)
Should have no long term problems with these using the H1s, in fact, the lens will be cooler to touch much because the H1 sits further back than the old H4, also it's got the projector lens in front, have a look how thick that magnifier (projector) is in the centre, reminds me of the glasses "Professor" (Hubert Farnsworth) from "Futurama" wears. :hihi:

Last edited by The Dok; 28-04-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 28-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Yeah ... I have had a look through a projector/magnifier (Accord Euro) .... and damn they can be heavy ... and everything gets turned upside down as well ... LOL. Hence how the shield projects the flat top beam onto the road from above ... and turning it upside down.
Old 28-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #27
HLC
Audi S3

just a quick question Dok,

with these lights, are they legal as such? having projectors on a car that didnt come with them? like can one be defected for them? what are the standards that go with headlights and beam patterns etc? just curious...
Old 28-04-2006, 11:16 PM   #28
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
just a quick question Dok,

with these lights, are they legal as such? having projectors on a car that didnt come with them? like can one be defected for them? what are the standards that go with headlights and beam patterns etc? just curious...
You'd have a much greater chance being defected with the faded EF/L headlights than these puppies. My rule has always been, if you don't attract undue attention to yourself, you more than likley won't get pulled over (has worked for me for @20 years). From a roadworthy perspective, as long as they function (as per specified for that model vehicle), which these do, there is no problem. Most coppers don't know their a r s e from their big head so I doubt they'd realise the AU didn't come out with a projector.
Old 28-04-2006, 11:21 PM   #29
LUXO_8
windsor user

further on what Dok said, he used parts that are fully ADR compliant.... if he had, for example, made the projector himself, then it wouldnt be legal....

its a bit like my headlights, people often ask me if they'd be legal( pre the HID install that is).... i just tell them they were legal in the BMW they came out of so why wouldnt they be?:P
Old 28-04-2006, 11:34 PM   #30
HLC
Audi S3

fair points for both of you. but driving around with a p-plate on the back of your car is like driving around with a target on. : i get followed and my car is stock as. ah well.

thanks for your prompt replies guys.