Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What should the BAC for Australia be
0.08 as it was for may years and is still so overseas 45 20.27%
0.08 in the bush, 0.05 in the city and on highways 4 1.80%
0.05 seems to be working well, leave it there 105 47.30%
0.05 in the bush, 0.02 in the city and on highways 1 0.45%
0.02 across the board 21 9.46%
0.00000 as well as ZERO tolerance 30 13.51%
Sliding scale, e.g. 0.08 first offence, 0.05 after that etc. 13 5.86%
Something else, please detail 3 1.35%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #121
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT

Your argument is also weakened by the fact that you have not disclosed what their actual BAC was. If it was 0.055 we could understand somewhat where you are coming from and maybe even agree with you as that would demonstrate that they made an error but with respect to the law it was a minor one. If they had a BAC of 0.09 for example, we are not likely to have the same opinion as they were considerably over and it was not just a small error. I know what my assumptions are but I think I will keep that to myself and allow you fair opportunity to consider this and reply. I am not saying I have a strong suspicion they were over by a lot, I am just saying that the lack of information leads to assumptions.

This is true. You need to tell the whole story otherwise we wont get where you are coming from.

HP4ME you asked these people you know if the limit was 0.00% would they still of drove. Well of course they are going to say no. They crashed and killed people, do you really think they would of said "Yeah I still would of drove" They probably regret that decision to drive, everyday
So ask them if the limit was still 0.05% and they could go back and do it again, would they? I bet they will answer NO, even if that thought they were under at the time.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #122
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
True - my hypotheticals were based on no statistics...

But using the above information - it is possible for someone between .03 and .05 (legally allowed to drive) to have a reduced level of judgement and control and have impaired sensory-motor skills...

Alcohol effects everyone differently... as we know there is no set 'forumula' that is 100% accurate... If I have 1 beer, and you have 1 beer chances are that our BAC will be different based on metabolism, weight, etc etc...

So again - why allow the risk? The roads are dangerous enough for day to day driving... So why do we - as a society - allow the increased risk to be acceptable?

We don't allow truck drivers or bus drivers the same allowance on the road...
We don't allow pilots or sailors the same allowance in the air or at sea...
We don't allow forklift drivers, machinery operators, etc the same allowance at the workplace/jobsite...

And in most cases - the above mentioned 'professional' operators have had extra training and more experience...

So why do we allow joe average take the extra risk??
Some good points there and some rep points to you.

Taking into account the reported effects of a BAC of >0.03 perhaps a change in laws of a low grade offence with a fine and points at greater than 0.03 would be acceptable and a higher grade punishment with loss of license at levels greater than 0.05 would be a good idea.

Just an idea and just throwing it out there. Personally I would not care as a level of 0.03 would still allow me to have my valued couple of light beers with friends, I could live with that and I feel that would be completely acceptable.

PS Change that, I wanted to give you rep points but I gave you some recently so I can't.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #123
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gecko,
Many of your comments are well worth reading
As has been the case on many occasions

What i cant and never will understand is this,
People make mistakes ,why we do well who knows
We just do
But it is all good to sit back after the fact ,say how easy it would have been to do different

How many people have a drink or two and still think "Nah im fine"

There are many people out there who drink and drive , even while driving the sip of liquor happens
Its only when they are caught would it maybe sink in
Till then they will continue on their bad habits

How many people seriously know they are over or close and still take the risk ???
Maybe a different way home perhaps
Old 10-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #124
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

gecko i apoligise to you i was out of line mate.

there are a lot of resourceful people here and I dont want anyone to figure out which incidents they were out of respect of the dead and their families, one of my married into family members and another a family friend.

Let's just say they both over the limit as far as the law goes, they were observing the 1 drink per hour guide as they had always done and had always obeyed the law.

I am sure and I believe them, had the law been 0 bac, they would not have driven and i base that on their characters. (but like gecko said my judgement maybe compromised becasue i know them.)

the zero limit for me in their case may have taken the guess work out of their 1 drink per hour guide, just a total miscalculation on their behalf.

i personally drive with 0 bac, i am unable to keep track of 1 drink per hour after about 5 or 6 hours, i just can't do it.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #125
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Ok, I do see your point and actually agree to an extent.

Now lets consider this, if having a car stereo on provided enough of a distraction to increase your risk of crash more than a BAC of 0.03%, would you suggest car stereos be banned also?

What if having less than a documented and proven 8 hrs sleep prior to any driving was proven to increase your risk of crash more than a BAC >0.02%, would you support law enforcement monitoring of our sleep habits.

My question is, at what point does this all stop and the onus is put back on the public to behave with some responsibility?
I was going to write regarding your first reply to me about banning 'everything' but then i read this... ;)

I agree 100% that the onus SHOULD be on the public to behave, be responsible for their own lives, as well as everyone around them...

But as you yourself have witnessed dozens of times this year - it doesn't happen that way.

Sadly - we as a society are always looking for someone to blame when something goes wrong... Be it on the road, at work, at home, anywhere...

How did our society evolve that way? Is it because we've become lazy? Is it because we're too busy?? Is it because we're too selfish???

Interestingly - this thread was about one law - and even our most popular result at the moment only has 50% of the vote (much like our government)...

If we can't all agree on one simple law... no wonder we can't all behave acceptably as a group in society...
Old 10-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #126
fmc351
let it burn

One thing I havent noticed addressed, what are the changes in thinking process between .05 and .08 about how close to the limit you are. Not the obvious concerns about driving skills and reflexes. The simple notion of deciding if youre over the limit. Seems people struggle at .05, I cant imagine its gets better at .08. Remember society is a lot of people, laws need to cover all people as best it can, individual experience is hardly relevant when setting a legal standard.

We all know the concept of dutch courage, how and at what point does that kick in?

Quote:
...what we smell, taste, feel and sometimes our nightmares. ....
Say what?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #127
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree 100% that the onus SHOULD be on the public to behave, be responsible for their own lives, as well as everyone around them...

But as you yourself have witnessed dozens of times this year - it doesn't happen that way.

Sadly - we as a society are always looking for someone to blame when something goes wrong... Be it on the road, at work, at home, anywhere...

How did our society evolve that way? Is it because we've become lazy? Is it because we're too busy?? Is it because we're too selfish???

Interestingly - this thread was about one law - and even our most popular result at the moment only has 50% of the vote (much like our government)...

If we can't all agree on one simple law... no wonder we can't all behave acceptably as a group in society...
I believe we came this way because as a society we are "very selfish"
No one wants to share, be that knowledge or whatever.
But this selfishness has come due to a lack of respect
The lack of respect for people, laws, property, you name it
My job makes me spend alot of time in supermakrkets, and to see the way 1 and 2 y.o. kids are spoken to by their parents, hos do we expect these kids to have any respect when they grow up?
Its a circle that is getting worse with each generation, I just wish there was an answer to it

But untill there is an answer, our politicians (god belss them) will keep making laws for the lowest common denominator
Old 10-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #128
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:

Awesome. Its this, we dont act as a society, everyone jumps on the "Im an individual" bandwagon, "its up to indivduals, therefore I should be allowed to do blah blah". 'We could be killed crossing the street", 'you may as well wrap in cotton wool" and on and on. Saying that in some circumstances have merit, but are usually incorrectly dragged out to defend ignoring personal responsibility, part of the social compact between citizens and government.

We are a society, and we impact others, they impact us. The law does not have the capacity to be flexible to suit everyones individual makeup, besides, over time that individual makeup changes, eye sight, hearing all the things that happen naturally as we age, and no Im not talking in your 80's.

The law must reflect the best fit for society, not individuals.

If we as individuals could grasp that, maybe there would be a different result for society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
But untill there is an answer, our politicians (god belss them) will keep making laws for the lowest common denominator
Its closer to a middle denominator, and thats a good thing, because we dont have to depend on the very dregs of society to effect a positive change.

If we as individuals lift out game, then the governments can have some room to move on things. The Value of the middle denominator lifts.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #129
Scott

Quote:
If you knew that you were more likely to have an accident (lets say 25% more likely) would you have 1 drinks and drive??
If you have a 1:1,000,000 chance of having an accident sober, and you increased that likliehood by 25%, you now have a 1:750,000 chance of having a crash. Percentages don't tell a real story because there is only 100 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP4ME
I ask them both the follwing question:

If the BAC was zero, would you have still drank alcohol at the party (both were leaving parties) and drove home that fateful night?

Person 1 (Male). Would have caught a cab to the party and then cab home.
Person 2 (Female). Would have just stayed the night.
Of course they would.... now. What else would you expect them to say now?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:31 AM   #130
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

lol...

I must have read the thread title a dozen times since starting and only just realised that alcohol is spelt incorrectly....

And I haven't had a drink.... honest!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #131
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
lol...

I must have read the thread title a dozen times since starting and only just realised that alcohol is spelt incorrectly....

And I haven't had a drink.... honest!
If you look real close you might also notice influence spelt incorrectly as well

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #132
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
If you look real close you might also notice influence spelt incorrectly as well
Affluence was a play on words, while incahol was simply drunken twaddle. He could have used effluence too.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:16 AM   #133
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Affluence was a play on words, while incahol was simply drunken twaddle. He could have used effluence too.
Im as judge as a sober occifer, honest!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #134
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Oh dear... My God man you are right!...

Under... check, the.. yup correct and of... ok the rest seem ok to me.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #135
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or I could have just used the traditional spoonerism that has appeared in various broadcast and written media for decades.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&safe...16621ab339de25
Old 11-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #136
kezzer

As gecko said... less then 1% (in his opinion) of road accidents are attributed to alcohol. If this is the case (assume it is for a second), wouldn't it be much more worth our while to focus on the other 99%?? I doubt speeding would be the main attribute to anything over 10%. (again just assuming)

Alcohol and speeding recieve too much attention in relativity to it's effect on the road toll.
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #137
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Or I could have just used the traditional spoonerism that has appeared in various broadcast and written media for decades.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&safe...16621ab339de25
So it was effluence.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #138
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
As gecko said... less then 1% (in his opinion) of road accidents are attributed to alcohol. If this is the case (assume it is for a second), wouldn't it be much more worth our while to focus on the other 99%?? I doubt speeding would be the main attribute to anything over 10%. (again just assuming)

Alcohol and speeding recieve too much attention in relativity to it's effect on the road toll.

That was my point, too much focus on what are now probably small contributors of the overall sum of crashes.

Speed and alcohol receive a lot of attention as they normally go together, resulting in large crashes with big results. The thing is big crashes with large results are actually a minute portion of the overall number of crashes.

Unfortunately it is the crashes that cause the most damage that get the most attention, resulting the public getting a false impression of what the problem is.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #139
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
"This, is lucky Phil."
Phil's just won the lottery...
I"ll bet he's spewin nowadays that he sold that XU1.

I'm going to go for .02 as I believe when it comes to incahol and driving, never the twain shall meet.
I'll allow .02 as asides from above mentioned factors some quite unexpected things can ferment in the stomach and give you a BAC reading (a coconut Cherry Ripe and and a Buffalo Bill ice cream are two proven examples), but I'm disturbed to see some people thinking "well I can still have one drink every hour" as I think the point of the reduced limit is that it would discourage any amount of drinking and driving.
It might even help reduce the drinking culture we've got in this country.

Quote:
0.03 - 0.12 increased self-confidence; decreased inhibitions. Diminution of attention, judgment and control. Beginning of sensory-motor impairment. Loss of efficiency in finer performance tests.
I know it's a broad range going all the way up to .12, but it can start at a lowly .03 and I don't see any of the above qualities being of benefit when you put a ton and a half of steel on the freeway and get it moving at 100kph.
I think it should also be noted that the diminution of judgment also applies to your judgment regarding how affected by the alcohol you feel.

edit: I only just noticed the poll doesn't have a ".08+, but I'm only just going 'round the corner to the bottle shop for another six pack" option.

Last edited by WMD351; 11-12-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #140
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
Phil's just won the lottery...
I"ll bet he's spewin nowadays that he sold that XU1.
Thats the one.

I recall he had to sell the car to pay the fines, and his legal fees. Lost his job, girlfriend is now shtuping his mate or something as he has no future etc. Maybe the GF wasnt part of it, I dont know. Be funnier if it was though.

Quote:
I'll allow .02 as asides from above mentioned factors some quite unexpected things can ferment in the stomach and give you a BAC reading (a coconut Cherry Ripe and and a Buffalo Bill ice cream are two proven examples), ...
That may explain mine. Ive always been partial to a Cherry Ripe, and on road trips they are often part of the diet at servos. I know I was riding from Byron Bay to Melbourne so its likely.

Quote:
I think it should also be noted that the diminution of judgment also applies to your judgment regarding how affected by the alcohol you feel.
I mentioned dutch courage and beer goggles as examples of that. If people who are at .06, and lets face it thats not ****ed, end up on the road genuinely believing they are under .05, then what hope do they have at a limit of .08 when they are actually .1 or a bit more? Decisions get worse the higher you go, not better. So now we have a more on the road at .09, or .1, those who would get done at .06 otherwise, or get away with it without really adding too much risk to other drivers. However, at .09, that safety buffer when not caught, is gone.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #141
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We could adopt the N.T. law that is;0.05 to 0.08 is an on the spot fine,you blow above 0.08 and kiss your ticket to drive goodbye.

Or there is a Nordic country that has zero tolerance and if you get done for BAC its instant jail time no ifs,buts or maybe you go straight to jail. I'm not sure of the time inside but six months rings a bell for your first offence.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 12-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #142
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

It's illegal to drive wilst under the influence of drugs, but it's legal to drink drive, BUT ONLY TO A LIMIT!!! How anyone can actually be sure of how close or over the limit they actually are is not possible. Those over the counter breatherlisers are notoriously unreliable. So the only true indicator of blood alcohol content is in the hands of the local police. This .05 or .08 deal is ridiculous, 0.00 is the only fair way to go. The police will use personal judgement on cases that go say 0.01 or 02, as medical circumstances are a contributing factor.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #143
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

sobriety test should have some relevance imo.

I know a couple of people that are as useless as bat sheet on two drinks, and they would be under .05.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #144
StrokedXT
Banned

should be zero tolerance and a zero blood alcohol level, it affects your ability to react to things in even low levels, and aussies are bad enough drivers straight.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #145
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedXT
should be zero tolerance and a zero blood alcohol level, it affects your ability to react to things in even low levels, and aussies are bad enough drivers straight.

Tests differ but most show no effect under 0.06 BAC.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #146
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cant ever see the BAC rising ,ever
It mite,mite go lower ,but there will be a public out cry
It effects too many in different ways
Peoples frame size has been prooven to have a different effect from the grog
So what do we do
People under 50 KG have a different BAC as those over 50KG
Then those 100KG have a different and higher BAC as a 50 KG person
That then stems the "Discrimination" rubbish
To skull say 3-4 jimmies,blow in BAC tester at the pub and readout is fine
But 30-45 mins later the effect kicks in
Does that say oh at the pub i was fine to drive ???
Old 12-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #147
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
To skull say 3-4 jimmies,blow in BAC tester at the pub and readout is fine
But 30-45 mins later the effect kicks in
Does that say oh at the pub i was fine to drive ???

No, because what you were at the pub does not count, it is what you are while you are driving.

The charge is driving under the influence of alcohol, not walking out of the pub under the influence of alcohol.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #148
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep,
Thats right gecko
But i wonder how many stagger to the BAC tester readout is fine (or close )
And go drive thinking they are fine
Old 12-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #149
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

That is why in nearly all the guides, they explain that depending on when the last drink was and how many, the BAC reading may increase as alcohol is absorbed. Any one that skulls the last couple, has a glass of water and then does the test thinking it will remain accurate is a fool and deserves to lose their license.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #150
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I know a couple of people that are as useless as bat sheet on two drinks, and they would be under .05.

Agreed Tex thats what i was trying to say in my earlier post, the affect a drink or two can have on some peoples driving ability/mindset while driving mindblowing.
Closed Thread