Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #1471
prydey
Rob

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
I had the loan of a alloy frame Obrea with compact cranks and carbon forks - the bike was brand new , and came with tubes , CO2 bottles , and 2 drink bottles . Was delivered , and picked up and it cost me just over $100 for the week ..
ok cheers. i wonder how much it would cost to ship my own bike up and back. $100 is very reasonable, but i'm normally up there for about 4 weeks, and although i probably wouldn't ride every day or even every week, it would be nice to have something readily available when the urge hits.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #1472
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
I had the loan of a alloy frame Obrea with compact cranks and carbon forks - the bike was brand new , and came with tubes , CO2 bottles , and 2 drink bottles . Was delivered , and picked up and it cost me just over $100 for the week ..
That is a pretty reasonable rate.

I might have to get out on the bike more often or Prydey is going to hurt me on O'Reilly's next time he is up here.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #1473
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
ok cheers. i wonder how much it would cost to ship my own bike up and back. $100 is very reasonable, but i'm normally up there for about 4 weeks, and although i probably wouldn't ride every day or even every week, it would be nice to have something readily available when the urge hits.
Have you looked in to a big carrier? Torpedo7 stock them, and they aren't that expensive, especially if you get it on a free shipping deal.

My boss bought one and took his bike to Hong Kong, and loved it.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #1474
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I tend to hire a bike if I am in a new city just to take in the sights and sounds of the area. Also saves the hassle of packing your bike up and shipping it. Different story if you are staying at a destination for extended periods of time. Then I would consider it.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #1475
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy View Post
would this here be compatible with something like this?:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a...t/rp-prod27684

thanks in advance guys.

and how do you tell what size your bb is i.e.. 170mm 175mm etc.

Last edited by Uncle Niceguy; 05-09-2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added question
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #1476
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
Have you looked in to a big carrier? Torpedo7 stock them, and they aren't that expensive, especially if you get it on a free shipping deal.

My boss bought one and took his bike to Hong Kong, and loved it.
do you mean a bike carrier for the car? or like a bike bag for shipping? i wouldn't take my bike on the back of the car. too much hassle with access to the boot, among other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I might have to get out on the bike more often or Prydey is going to hurt me on O'Reilly's next time he is up here.
ha. no chance. i'd be keen to have a crack at O'reilly's or tamborine or something though. not too keen on the narrow roads though.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #1477
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Na, I mean this:

https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products...-eva-bike-case

Although, they have it listed as $330 at the moment, it frequently drops down to circa $150-$190
Old 05-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #1478
prydey
Rob

hmm, cool idea but bit pricey. i know if i ever want/need to ship my bike anywhere, my local bike shop will box it up for me. most bike shops do this i believe, otherwise they always have boxes available.

if i'm honest, even though i generally go away for up to 4 weeks, i probably would only ride a handful of times, so i probably wouldn't go to the bother of packing up my own bike.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:46 AM   #1479
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

If your bike is alloy etc it is viable I think but I am too scared to take my carbon bike anywhere in case and I have good cases, just too much hassle and risk despite insurance.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #1480
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
If your bike is alloy etc it is viable I think but I am too scared to take my carbon bike anywhere in case and I have good cases, just too much hassle and risk despite insurance.
Actually I'm the other way around.
When layered up and cured correctly, Carbon is a hell if a lot stronger than you think, especially in a monocoque tubular layup.
This said. I would not use anything other than a hard shell bike box to travel, and thats more for durability and security.
They may be pricey. But it's not usually something that needs to be replaced.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #1481
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Carbon is hell strong but not impact resistant when hit in ways it is not designed to he hit is my understanding
Old 06-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #1482
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

That's somewhat true yes. But carbon is also quite flexible and will return to its molded shape where as metal/Alu won't always (dependant on the bend).
My brother does a lot of flying with his bike and had more metal bikes bent than broken carbon. Theft is the biggest problem.
These days, invest in a decent hard shell case, one you can secure also. You would be fine.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #1483
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Na, I mean this:

Although, they have it listed as $330 at the moment, it frequently drops down to circa $150-$190
If I take my bike away , i normally do it in a cupboard box , wrap the bike in bubble wrap , and carry some packing tape .. However , recently , I borrowed a SciCon AeroComfort bag , with alloy brace frame within the bar ... What a difference .. If I traveling regularly with my bike , I would definitely invest in a SciCon bag
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #1484
mcnews
Trev

I have a hard case and recently got a Scion Aero Comfort 2 but am yet to use it. If anyone wants to buy a hard case (not the Scion bag but a hardcase I bought years ago) in VIC let me know as you can have it for a couple of cartons of Coopers Sparkling Ale :-)
Old 07-09-2014, 05:33 AM   #1485
mcnews
Trev

Two rides today, second one was pretty mammoth. 139km ride this afternoon into Switzerland skirting Lake Lugano around the top then over to Lake Como and down to Como before riding back to Varese. Following on from 35km this morning around Lake Varese makes 175km for the day and a combined 2687 metres of climbing. I don't think I want to look at bicycle again.... For the record if any of you think I am a whippet I am a somewhat lardy 177cm 105kg.... 438km so far this week and 7159m
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot-2014-09-06-at-20.22.13.jpg (46.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot-2014-09-06-at-20.23.31.jpg (54.2 KB, 51 views)
7 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #1486
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Na, I mean this:

I had a similar box years ago. A hard case is the only way to take your expensive bike on a plane. Watching aircraft baggage handlers can be a cringe worthy experience.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #1487
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

That's a fair effort there Trev. Well done. Helps when you got some decent views to look at while riding though

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 07-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #1488
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Trev needs to be banned for a while. He's having too good a time!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #1489
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
I think Trev needs to be banned for a while. He's having too good a time!
You are just jealous!

Come to think of it, so am I.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #1490
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

100% mate!!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #1491
prydey
Rob

how are we meant to top the leaderboard on strava when someone goes and rides nearly 500km in a week!!

come on trev, play fair
6 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2014, 07:20 AM   #1492
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Has anyone tried the Specialized gel pads for under your bar tape? I ride on a lot of course rural roads and I was having a lot of trouble with my hands going numb and shoulder pain. My bar tape was pretty old so I though I would have a look around.

I found that Specialized have put out gel pad sections, 1 for the top of the bars and another for the drops that you put under your tape to give more padding. Just to go really comfy I also got their Roubaix Wide cork tape which also has a very thin gel strip.

It has made the tape very soft now, also really chunky which is not really a bad thing. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #1493
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

My Avanti came with these gel strips fitted. I just re-wrapped the bars yesterday after getting all my new Ultegra gear on. It's more comfortable and less numbing than my hybrid.

Now it's time to get on the bike and try it out today!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #1494
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
Has anyone tried the Specialized gel pads for under your bar tape? I ride on a lot of course rural roads and I was having a lot of trouble with my hands going numb and shoulder pain. My bar tape was pretty old so I though I would have a look around.

I found that Specialized have put out gel pad sections, 1 for the top of the bars and another for the drops that you put under your tape to give more padding. Just to go really comfy I also got their Roubaix Wide cork tape which also has a very thin gel strip.

It has made the tape very soft now, also really chunky which is not really a bad thing. I will let you know how it goes.
i know of 2 people that have gone to 25 tyres instead of 23, and rave about the difference in comfort. one of them did so due to a wrist injury.

not sure what size tyres you run, but you could try 25's and see if it makes a difference.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #1495
strobe

I was having trouble with numb hands so bought a pair of gloves with gel inserts and they actually made it worse. I read somewhere that too much padding can sometimes cause numb hands so I ended up switching to bar tape with less padding (Lizard Skins DSP 1.8mm) which fixed my problem. Interestingly I can now use 3 different (no padding, padding, and gel padding) gloves with no real difference in comfort levels, even after 6 or 7 hours in the saddle.
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #1496
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not as glamourous as Trev's photos, but here are a couple from me from the last couple of weeks.

Kuota shot was taken on one of our lunch rides. First day of spring was perfect!

DBR shot was from my commute to work last week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike1.JPG (87.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg bike2.JPG (86.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 08-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #1497
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I did some mountain bike tracks around Lysterfield Lake yesterday. In much pain today....

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #1498
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I did some mountain bike tracks around Lysterfield Lake yesterday. In much pain today....
What's your recovery routine like? Do you stretch afterwards?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #1499
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i know of 2 people that have gone to 25 tyres instead of 23, and rave about the difference in comfort. one of them did so due to a wrist injury.

not sure what size tyres you run, but you could try 25's and see if it makes a difference.
I changed to GP4000s 25mm last year and found a big difference.
The main advantage you gain with a wider tyre is you can run lower PSI.

On 23s I was running 110 front and 120 rear.
On 25s I run 90-95 front and 105-110 rear.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #1500
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
I changed to GP4000s 25mm last year and found a big difference.
The main advantage you gain with a wider tyre is you can run lower PSI.

On 23s I was running 110 front and 120 rear.
On 25s I run 90-95 front and 105-110 rear.
Did you notice any additional rotational weight/mass over the 23's when trying to accelerate?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont