Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #151
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Re: NBN Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
http://www.rearden.com/DIDO/DIDO_White_Paper_110727.pdf

It would seem in a press conference 3 days ago , That this inventer steve pearlman has made a wirless network that would outdate the nbn.

In a nutshell so far he has made a mukti user wireless system that has the ability to travel at the speed of light
I'm not a fan of NBN simply because the ROI has never been published, then there is the issue of it being basically being run by Government, where is it bound to cost 300 times more than it should, and work 200 times less reliably than promised. Take up rates are simply appalling.

Those objective criticisms aside!

Mandating a prescribed fixed solution like NBN's fibre and expecting the world to sit still is plain crazy. Steve Perlman may or may not have the silver bullet, but rest assured there will be an alternative technology which will make NBN toast.

When that happens, Telsta with their free (thanks again NBN) $11 billion dollar war chest is going to eat NBN alive.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #152
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
Mandating a prescribed fixed solution like NBN's fibre and expecting the world to sit still is plain crazy. Steve Perlman may or may not have the silver bullet, but rest assured there will be an alternative technology which will make NBN toast.
Until someone comes up with a way of transferring large amounts of data at speeds greater than the speed of light, then fibre will not be surpassed.
That DIDO presented by snappy might be an alternative where fibre isn't feasible, but it still doesn't address issues that arise with wireless technology such as needing line of sight and other atmospheric interference. What's the range on the wireless network in your house? What's the data transfer rate like on the fringe of that wireless range?
One more question, what would be needed to supply data the DIDO wireless transmitters? Fibre!
Old 31-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #153
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One small question.

These soopa doopa high powered transmitters that send data up to 250 miles?

What do I need at my end to send data back?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 04:53 AM   #154
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
One small question.

These soopa doopa high powered transmitters that send data up to 250 miles?

What do I need at my end to send data back?
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #155
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Until someone comes up with a way of transferring large amounts of data at speeds greater than the speed of light, then fibre will not be surpassed.
That DIDO presented by snappy might be an alternative where fibre isn't feasible, but it still doesn't address issues that arise with wireless technology such as needing line of sight and other atmospheric interference. What's the range on the wireless network in your house? What's the data transfer rate like on the fringe of that wireless range?
One more question, what would be needed to supply data the DIDO wireless transmitters? Fibre!
Maybe you should repost, as you've inadvertently violated the laws of physics (or is faster than light next years NBN feature )

As for transferring large amounts of data without fibre, lets see, in the past I've found micro-wave to be quite good, of course there are always those stories of nasty seagulls flying through the micro-wave and disrupting data. But we'll just hire lots of boy scouts with bb guns to defend the beam...

In all seriousness, we've deployed micro-wave to transfer blue chip corporation data centre quantities of data (gazillions of bytes over thousands of KM's) with utmost reliability. Disaster recovery sites with sub-second response time, end user response times and performance which is virtually indistinguishable from the local production servers. We've deployed these solutions in weeks, at a fraction of the cost of fibre. We'd be up and running before the teleco's had begun their site/fibre feasibility plan.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #156
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Maybe you should repost, as you've inadvertently violated the laws of physics (or is faster than light next years NBN feature )

As for transferring large amounts of data without fibre, lets see, in the past I've found micro-wave to be quite good, of course there are always those stories of nasty seagulls flying through the micro-wave and disrupting data. But we'll just hire lots of boy scouts with bb guns to defend the beam...

In all seriousness, we've deployed micro-wave to transfer blue chip corporation data centre quantities of data (gazillions of bytes over thousands of KM's) with utmost reliability. Disaster recovery sites with sub-second response time, end user response times and performance which is virtually indistinguishable from the local production servers. We've deployed these solutions in weeks, at a fraction of the cost of fibre. We'd be up and running before the teleco's had begun their site/fibre feasibility plan.
Hahaha. Seagulls thats funny
So microwave is the answer you reckon. That easy huh. So. How many frequencies you think it would take to accomplish microwave to the node, Without interference from any other house in the street. You done many microwave links in built up areas. Such as capital cities???
Seagulls.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 01:15 AM   #157
z80
Banned

Quote:

Transferring streams of data is not an indicator of a state of the art network.

Australia currently has the worst backchannel speeds on any first world nation.

By that I mean you can download at significantly higher speeds than you can upload.

But someone somewhere has to upload...and the whole network speed is governed by the weakest link.

In terms of your example of transferring gigabiga bytes over microwave I can guarantee you that I can transfer more terra-giga bytes in one direction in 24hours faster than any microwave network you can find anywhere in australia.

Since it is a one way data transfer I could just express post a box of 300DVD's by 6pm and they would be in sydney by 10 am the next day.

Same result....let's call it half duplex to be precise
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #158
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I did a new PC for a family friend the other week, and unfortunately we found out the hard way that dialup isn't supported on Windows 7 64bit anymore, he had a dialup connection, but he wanted to upgrade anyway and it gave him the perfect excuse.

So we rushed off to the local Telstra store and he signed up for one of their homeline ultimate bundles, which has their best home phone plan with their best internet connections, it was $128 a month without the Tbox, with 200GB of downloads and a choice of cable or ADSL2+, we opted for cable knowing it can be slightly faster than ADSL2+.

1 week later, they come and do the install at his place, no problems. I do a speed test on his internet connection:

My god, certain areas in Melbourne get close to 100mbps connections on Telstra's HFC network, which they rolled out in the late 90s?

Obviously it lacks compared to the NBN in upload speed, but thats not bad, going from downloading at about 5KB/s to now 12MB/s from local servers.

I wonder how much a big rollout of HFC would be compared to fibre? The only bad part there is the upload is fairly crappy compared to the download speed, but I'd be happy with that if I could get that at my place.

I don't think wireless is a good solution for anyone who would be getting fibre, laws of physics win for fibre, no interferrance, etc. Might make a good solution for people in remote areas, by remote, I mean like my friend who lives in Cherokee, its within the Macedon Ranges, close to other towns with access to Telstra Next G network, ADSL2+ etc, but theres probably 30 or 40 people living in the town, on big acerage, theres no mobile phone networks that cover the area at all, theres no internet connections other than dialup, and the phonelines run underneath the middle of the dirt road up to my mates place, when it rains, there is no home phone, no dialup internet connection and no mobile phone reception (because nothing covers the area).

Wireless would be a good solution for them, not worth running Fibre to 30 or so people, but they wouldn't miss out on a decent connection via wireless.

None of this satellite BS, costs way too much, barely any downloads and latency of 800ms+, plus when its a stormy/cloudy day, no internet.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-08-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #159
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yeah i'm on that same plan. except mine is 500GB of downloads - and the maximum the connection does at this end is 14.66MB/s from Youtube or Apple. Is he running the Netgear or Cisco modem?

it's running a bit slower at the moment due to the weekend traffic

I'd still prefer the NBN for the uploads as that can bottleneck during peak.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #160
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Not sure didn't take any notice, its not the wireless whiz bang one though they tried to sell him for an extra $200 or something.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #161
XWGT