Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #151
oranpark addict

These discussions never end..

Don't stereotype people. Please don't stereotype. If you believe some of the comments on here it would be perceived that every commodore driver is a loony that just wants to go sideways, do burnouts and drive an inferior piece of crap. The reason why they appeal so much to this era of P platers, yes my peers; is that there are a hell of a lot of them around and they are cheap where as a falcon from the 90's in comparision is ahh well lets say are renowned for head gasket problems and such(at this point I will conceed that an IRS commy does have camber problems in the rear sometimes. Don't get me wrong the VR/VS shape isn't the best either but god have some of you guys seen the interior of an AU.. especially compared to a VT Calais. Yes by this stage if you haven't guessed i drive a VT. A nice Calais with woodgrain dash, leather seats in mint condition with the stock bodykit, stock wheels and stock headunit :O. I would love to buy a Falcon because I know the engine is superior with buckets more torque. But for me the VT really seems the way to go.

On an interseting side note I am an apprentice. And a first year as well! But of the four other first year apprentices that are employed with me, 3 drive falcons and only one a commodore.

Also what started this post was a feeling that I may be able to change the one eyed percpetions of some. However I kind of lost purpose and meaning when I came back down to reality to realise that some people and their thinking process can not be changed. And it goes both ways... I mean sure there are some people on say LS1 that can not comprehend that a G6ET is a nice car or that A 335 GT is one of the best things in a very long time..let alone mentioning streetbogans.com

Why can't Aussies be like ricers and stick together. Are there wars like this betwen Evo and WRX owners?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #152
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Pretty sure Evo, WRX, GT-R an Supra owners, all compare and compete the same as us haha.

And the whole Ford vs Holden thing is bred (well if your fortunate enough... :-D) into us, i couldn't imagine a world of AUSTRALIAN MEN (and women i guess haha) where, they have some kind of allegiance to one or the other (Ford or Holden)....

But that's a whole different kettle of fish... :-)

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #153
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip04
Don't give up mate!! Once you find a 6spd XR6... The only thing better would be a manual XR8....

That's not havin a go at you either. Just my opionin based on experience...
I'd much prefer the Ford but those manual SV6s are cheap! Might just wait the 10 months till my opens are get a 6sp XR8.

That's another thing that peevs me off with Ford..why the hell do BF XR6 utes have a crummy old T5 while the sedan gets the T56..all Holdens had a 6 speed, Wasn't until FG that Ford got the 6 speed in the n/a utes.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #154
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip04
I couldn't imagine a world of AUSTRALIAN MEN (and women i guess haha) where, they have some kind of allegiance to one or the other (Ford or Holden)....
Such a world exists, it goes by the name of the Melbourne CBD, where Australian "men" swear allegiance to either organic avocado butter or low fat blue cheese as a better cracker spread.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #155
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
Such a world exists, it goes by the name of the Melbourne CBD, where Australian "men" swear allegiance to either organic avocado butter or low fat blue cheese as a better cracker spread.

It's bloody sad isn't it.... Starting to see more of those types popping up in Darwin....
I just don't understand where and why this change came on....

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #156
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
I'd much prefer the Ford but those manual SV6s are cheap! Might just wait the 10 months till my opens are get a 6sp XR8.

That's another thing that peevs me off with Ford..why the hell do BF XR6 utes have a crummy old T5 while the sedan gets the T56..all Holdens had a 6 speed, Wasn't until FG that Ford got the 6 speed in the n/a utes.

Far out i wasn't aware the utes didn't get the T56, mate, if you wait the 10 months, you'll definitely not regret it, in the meantime, start puttin some penny's away and search for the perfect one for you!! Worst thing you could do is pick the first one you think you like!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #157
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

For me, if I wasn't planning on carrying six people in my car (column shift bench seats) or doing much towing I'd go with a commodore, because they still have plenty of torque (power doesn't bother me too much) and, in general, they're way better on fuel and are cheaper to convert to LPG (in general).

It just so happens we had our old EA wagon sitting in the car port so I took it off my parent's hands cheap.
I find theres nothing wrong with VR/VS commodores (I have vast experience with them) and I don't have a problem with EA/EB Falcons (we've owned the EA since late 92 or early 93 or something and had no real problems despite all the poo people talk about them) also, my brother had an EB Falcon on LPG he got for $500 off my mate's mum after her husband died.

My brother had that EB for well over five years and nothing ever went wrong with it, before that he had an 80's fairlane [equivelant to XF falcon; I'm not all too flash on models of fairlanes etc] the Fairlane was one of the worst cars I've ever been in - electronic dash didn't work, guzzled fuel, poor performance etc.

I honestly think neither Holden nor Ford is superior. VS Commodores imo are superior cars to EL falcons - my parents both have them and have had minimal problems compared to my uncle's EL; he was always around getting dad to fix something.

I do all my own work on my cars but the only work I've EVER done on the EA is putting a cd player in, fixing the seat belts at the back which ALWAYS jam and putting new brake pads on (it does need new struts all round so I'll be doing that next week). We must have got the ONE good EA they made, I'm sure of it lol.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #158
Falcman0o7
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/user/AntiCommodore?feature=mhum
Old 05-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #159
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Can I have my 2 minutes back?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #160
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Could there be any better example of how fighting fire with fire is not always a good thing....?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #161
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i just bought my vl wagon...from a cop, i will be interrogated tomorrow.. lol :P nah, he sounds like a top bloke, i just can't wait till i can drive a car again, its been over a month now since my 4wd **** itself.. :(
Old 06-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #162
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

The majority of this thread is all the same. Holden bashing, as per normal. I'm quite surprised the mods have let it go this far, let alone supporting the "Holden Bashing" culture of this forum.

BTW. I own a Commodore and I also own a Fairlane, so i'm not biased towards either brand. I see the good and the bad in both brands, hence owning both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradZ
Just to add on the whole ignorance thing, i posted this on the Holden Forum and it got deleted straight away.

As for this quote. I reckon it's self explanatary. The mods on a Holden forum obviously don't tolerate brand bashing as much as this forum does.

Now I'll wait for a warning for my outburst as well as the flaming from all the one eyed members

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 06-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #163
BradZ
I'm still alive

I don't see at as Holden bashing. And i think i can safely say at least one mod has read this and decided that theres enough discussion going on to keep it open.

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-5000k Headlight conversion
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub
-Pioneer Class D Digital 800W Amp

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Build Thread http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11344773
Old 06-02-2011, 06:06 AM   #164
Scrawny
Starter Motor

I reckon it's the same reason that they want to ban fast food advertising during the cartoons, kiddies are just too easily swayed by slick advertising.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #165
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
Holden's performance range look totally different and meaner then the standard range of commodores, where as the ford performance range can look almost identical to the stock/lower performance range of vehicles (im talking 90's here)
So the holden un surprisingly comes out on top because you can get mean as hell looking kits for them
I disagree, using VR/S and EF/L as an example all the ss has over an executive is spotlights, lipkit and red trolley strips.

EF/L GLi - XR has the lipkit, red strips,and a completely different front end aswell as functional bonnet vents.

HSV V TICKFORD, SAME DEAL HERE, hsv's looked different but nothing like the EL GT.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #166
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
HSV V TICKFORD, SAME DEAL HERE, hsv's looked different but nothing like the EL GT.
You're correct, HSVs of that era looked nothing like the EL GT. Nothing could look as bad as that.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #167
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

First up i am not a ford or holden person even though i have owned amongst other cars 7 holdens and 2 fords i rate the cars purely on its own merritts and the fg has brought the falcon a bit closer to the commodore in my view.

putting aside the reliability and build finish issues that ford have the commodores just drive better and age better.

i really liked the look of the ba falcon but moving from a ss to a xr6 or xr8 there was just no competition the commy won me over every time for 4 commodores.

if you want a work car which can tow you get a falcon if you want something that is capable, comfortable and fun you get a commy.

well thats the view of me and most of my friends, im now 30 and have a territory as the main car mainly cause i needed the extra seats and the terry is the best suv out there.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #168
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
The majority of this thread is all the same. Holden bashing, as per normal. I'm quite surprised the mods have let it go this far, let alone supporting the "Holden Bashing" culture of this forum.

As for this quote. I reckon it's self explanatary. The mods on a Holden forum obviously don't tolerate brand bashing as much as this forum does.

Now I'll wait for a warning for my outburst as well as the flaming from all the one eyed members
Sorry to disappoint you letting the thread run. The fact of the matter is if a topic can be discussed in an informative and fun way, despite your bias towards the way things are moderated there is no problems in letting these types of discussions run. Frankly, reading through the thread, I find an equal balance between those who are critical against Holden and those against Ford ....... And if you flick through the forums you will find that the bias is not as pronounced as you think it is. For a forum that caters for a single brand, it always surprises me on the level of tolerance there is here compared especially to the 'other' forum.

If people cannot discuss something without getting personal or abusive, there is no reason to close it. So far it has been a quite interesting read

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #169
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

+1, agreed!..

Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #170
woteva

I purchased a VS Acclaim when I was on my P's as I thought it was a better car than the Falcon. My old man had an EL Futura at the time and imo the VS was a much nicer car to get around in. This was back in 1999 so neither cars were old.

Personally I think all Falcons from the XD - AU looked like *****! But my reasons for buying a Commodore on my P's might differ to the current crop. I didn't buy my car to rip skids which I believe is the main reason young blokes buy Commodores. But like Flappist said, only the would know and I'm betting their answers would vary anyway.

I also purchased a VY SS over a BA XR8 because I thought it was a better car. Also because there were more aftermarket performance products available.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #171
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

I must admit.. there was a point in time i was looking at getting a VX SS... Cos it was the only 6spd manual V8 i could find, and afford, and was actually quite enjoyable to drive... And back then (4 yrs ago) that was all i wanted... Lucky i waited and found the BF i have now :-D (grin ear to ear...)

Old 06-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #172
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Momentum has a lot to do with aswell. If you look at the current situation, and from my experience, I remember in highschool when the ef/el series had either finally pipped the com my in sales or was leading.

Motorsport was going well, pretty even but bowe and seton were getting the job done.

Along came the AU and the public reacted badly, we got smashed in the v8 super cars, sales were down and even FoA where laying off people....not great.

Then BA came along like the messiah, the XR8 for all it's flaws was a better car (granted the lsx engines were still a better package), the xr6t smashed everyone in it's class and more, fpv had the f6 doing the same. A lot a credibility was restored...almost.

The b series also did well in racing.

Now we have the fg that has built on the b series ANC is due to get some heavy upgrades power train wise. This is needed to fill the obvious void of sales...we will see once fg2 has been out for a while.

So what died all that mean? Holden people will always buy holdens, and visa versa.

Good news for ford is the silver lining surrounding the p plate laws. Like my first post tried to say you will always have some "shaun the sheeps". But when those who are after there first car now look at engine combos only a nuffty would get a com my six. So once they get there first car the plan would be they become aligned with the company baring a really bad experience with a lemon.

The i6t has created a bit of a cult and IMO will be the catalyst for many staying with ford.

The new 5.0 will likewise win over many people.

It's human nature to want to be associated with what is popular or to be seen as the best. Product plays a vital role, but smart marketing can be even more pwerful.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 06-02-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: This iPad is so ****
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #173
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

When i go out tonight I'll ask all the commy drivers why they drive commodores.
Then this thread can have at least one post that shows an educated answer
Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #174
woteva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Then BA came along like the messiah, the XR8 for all it's flaws was a better car (granted the lsx engines were still a better package), the xr6t smashed everyone in it's class and more, fpv had the f6 doing the same. A lot a credibility was restored...almost.
The XR6T is indeed an awesome car but I am fascinated to know why you believe the XR8 was a better car than the SS.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #175
prasac
Banned

1 simple fact they are cheap as chips, look half decent and have decent power. we needed a wagon to throw tyres, jacks etc in the back and go to the track. we picked up a 2004 VY (sorry thought was a VZ) wagon, minor damage to side and bumper it's drivable and most people would have registered it as is. 145k, full log book and serviced every 10k. was $1100 at auction. for us it's a perfect car to throw tyres, jacks etc in the back and go to the track.

Last edited by prasac; 06-02-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #176
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woteva
The XR6T is indeed an awesome car but I am fascinated to know why you believe the XR8 was a better car than the SS.
Be fascinated no longer...

What I said in the brackets, the BA XR8 was a better effort than the AU (from a sales/markerting POV), out powered the SS but the SS was a better OVERALL package with an engine that was more flexible. You can include the "hero" FPV GT in that too, further compounding the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
1 simple fact they are cheap as chips, look half decent and have decent power. we picked up a VZ wagon, minor damage to side and bumper it's drivable and most people would have registered it as is. 145k, full log book and serviced every 10k. was $1100 at auction.

True, I have always found that a commodore equivalent is always cheaper than the Falcon.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 06-02-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #177
prasac
Banned

Quote:
True, I have always found that a commodore equivalent is always cheaper than the Falcon.
much cheaper, we needed a wagon and as much as i hate it, because all of us are Ford guys but the Ford wagons look horrid.

another example a mate, bought a 2006 VZ V8 Calais fully optioned out, for $16k and that was at a car yard with a couple years warranty. these things were like $50+k when released. u seem to get more car for ur $ when ur buying a Holden, which doesn't say much about a Holden

Last edited by prasac; 06-02-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #178
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
When i go out tonight I'll ask all the commy drivers why they drive commodores.
Then this thread can have at least one post that shows an educated answer
You'll need to take what we call in the horticulture industry as a 'representative sample'. Ask the owners of several models spanning many years and of different ages and in different suburbs.. everyone is gonna have different reasons so get them all and see what the general 'vibe' is.

You'll get answers ranging from 'i've always been a holden man', 'holdens are better', 'cos it's not a crap Ford', 'cos it's faster and rips better skids' etc.. to the more educated buyers who have genuine knowledge and reasons and who feel the Commo is the superior car for their needs and their dollar.

Let's reverse the thread and let's everyone post why we chose a Falcon.. what model and WHY

Personally, as a small child I loved the XD/XE and would always point and tell mum that's what I'm gonna drive. When I came to be 18, out of pure coincidence a family member was selling a one owner XE (in poo brown) for a great price. Once I got tinkering with it, I felt very comfortable that I could maintain my own car. When it rusted away I bought an XY, then an XF etc etc.. so I guess I'm one of those stubborn buyers sticking to what I know and honestly have never compared or contemplated a Commo. Even buying the new FG.. into the dealer, test drive, choose the colour and interior.. deal done. What SV6?? Never even thought of it, maybe I'm missing out?? Who knows..

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #179
woteva

Quote:
Be fascinated no longer...

What I said in the brackets, the BA XR8 was a better effort than the AU (from a sales/markerting POV), out powered the SS but the SS was a better OVERALL package with an engine that was more flexible. You can include the "hero" FPV GT in that too, further compounding the issue.

Sorry man, need to get my eyes checked!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #180
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Sorry to disappoint you letting the thread run. The fact of the matter is if a topic can be discussed in an informative and fun way, despite your bias towards the way things are moderated there is no problems in letting these types of discussions run. Frankly, reading through the thread, I find an equal balance between those who are critical against Holden and those against Ford ....... And if you flick through the forums you will find that the bias is not as pronounced as you think it is. For a forum that caters for a single brand, it always surprises me on the level of tolerance there is here compared especially to the 'other' forum.

If people cannot discuss something without getting personal or abusive, there is no reason to close it. So far it has been a quite interesting read

Please don't think I'm questioning you're moderation style, but when you read quotes like "to keep ********* out of Fords" and "'cos it's faster and rips better skids", it does start going down the same path. Hence my comments

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Closed Thread