Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #151
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbcoupe384

What else would they call their wagon? I guess anything they like. They called their 2 door variant of the Commodore a Monaro. The name doesn't always have to describe the vehicle, it's simply a name.
Anyone remember the Hyundai Lantra Sportswagon. It was about as sporty as John Howard, probably just about as ugly too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #152
Miller
It's Millertime!

I saw one today on Pennant Hills road.

It surprised the shite out of me and I had to do a double take until I realized what it was.

I thought it was damn sexy, very Euro though.
Old 19-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #153
EF Hoon
Sideways in my 33!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
I saw one today on Pennant Hills road.

It surprised the shite out of me and I had to do a double take until I realized what it was.

I thought it was damn sexy, very Euro though.
i saw one also on penno rd today, was a grey omega. looked pretty good for a holden, wheels looked wayyy to small though.
EF Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #154
fordlova8
FEARsome 429

What part of the commonhore sport wagon is the sporty part. ther the size of a bloated hippo!!

1978 429 XC Fairmont GXHELL.
fordlova8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #155
Miller
It's Millertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF Hoon
i saw one also on penno rd today, was a grey omega. looked pretty good for a holden, wheels looked wayyy to small though.

Edit: Never mind, re read your post.

The one I saw was a White SS. The wheels on this thing were huge, 19s at least.
Old 19-08-2008, 11:37 PM   #156
EF Hoon
Sideways in my 33!

would have looked pretty sweet then, this was an omega and all it needed was huge wheels and it would have looked sporty. actually saw 3 today :S and one on the back of a truck.
EF Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #157
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
Don't get your point??? They have always called the 2 door Monaro (and then later for a while the 4 door version) after their 4 door family sedans variants in the past, or at least the ones I have seen anyway.
I think he's referring to the post by uranium death about Holden calling the car a 'long hatchback', saying that the name of the car doesn't describe the appearance. I think
Uncle Raggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #158
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleraggy
I think he's referring to the post by uranium death about Holden calling the car a 'long hatchback', saying that the name of the car doesn't describe the appearance. I think
No. My point was that people were lauding Holden for using the name "Sportswagon", but I question what other legitimate name could be used?
I could only think of "long hatchback".

For a wagon, it does look good however, so those 'biased' calls can go to buggery too.

The Sportswagon name is not original, and is not overly creative. Holden are smart to use it as it implies a certain image, but I choose to hold my bladder on it rather than become all excited.

If I was after a wagon, it would be to haul things around and not for sporting image or performance, which is why I would always go a BFIII.
If I want a car that drives nicely, I'll choose a sedan over a wagon.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #159
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF Hoon
wheels looked wayyy to small though.
Kinda like the FG range?
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #160
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecrain
I saw the new commy wagon the other day at Fountain Gate and I was a little disappointed as the "preview pics" (I'd seen in one of the mags) were hot- the car looked somewhat like the 300C touring but in flesh it's just another VE with a longer roof.

I saw one the other day too,but did'nt think it looked all that good.got a quick shot on my phone camera.

dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 11:51 PM   #161
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo
What part of the commonhore sport wagon is the sporty part. ther the size of a bloated hippo!!
I have not checked, is the name simply because it is based on the standard wheelbase commodore (the prev wag was on the longer wheelbase - yeah ?)

Makes me wonder about the next falcon wagon though.
No Fairlane, so it needs to get its DNA from a sedan, or the territory.

My prediction - A low ride height territory with FG look and feel will be the next Falcon Wagon - something right in the middle - benefiting in components from both product lines
Prediction ... or blind baseless hope ?
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #162
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
Who ya gonna call?

But in terms of a large wagon from Ford to "combat" the Sportswagon...forget it.
Ford aren't going to produce two cars in Australia that will essentially compete in the same market.

The Territory will remain unique in its own way, as will the Falcon wagon, which is a minimalist vehicle, but still holds up on its own. If it wasn't for fleet sales, Ford would have discontinued the wagon.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #163
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
No. My point was that people were lauding Holden for using the name "Sportswagon", but I question what other legitimate name could be used?
I could only think of "long hatchback".

For a wagon, it does look good however, so those 'biased' calls can go to buggery too.

The Sportswagon name is not original, and is not overly creative. Holden are smart to use it as it implies a certain image, but I choose to hold my bladder on it rather than become all excited.

If I was after a wagon, it would be to haul things around and not for sporting image or performance, which is why I would always go a BFIII.
If I want a car that drives nicely, I'll choose a sedan over a wagon.
Ok fair enough. But I thought that the term "Sportswagon" just referred to this type of styling (wether it was a 300 C or an Audi), and not that you simply can't go racing in it.

A wagon is a wagon. They have always had names to describe the styling of the day, like "Estate" or "Station Sedan" or "Ranch Wagon". The flavour of the month for this type of styling atm just happens to be "Sportswagon".
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #164
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
I have not checked, is the name simply because it is based on the standard wheelbase commodore (the prev wag was on the longer wheelbase - yeah ?)

Makes me wonder about the next falcon wagon though.
No Fairlane, so it needs to get its DNA from a sedan, or the territory.

My prediction - A low ride height territory with FG look and feel will be the next Falcon Wagon - something right in the middle - benefiting in components from both product lines
Prediction ... or blind baseless hope ?
There will be no FG wagon.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #165
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw a Holden 'Sportwagon' on the road last night for the first time, and i have to say, it looks like a hatchback as opposed to a wagon....

It Like the old Corolla, where they had a Sedan, Seca and Sprinter, it looks like a Sprinter......

As a company vehicle it would be pretty schmick, but i believe our company are moving away from Commodores to Falcons given their lack of load space. Thats quite a few wagons across the country probably heading towards Ford, but they may in fact go for craptiva's.... But i will believe that when i see it, there would be an uproar!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #166
weenie

Cough, 1500+ sportwagons sold in August cough. : with july & august sales, that might be more than the whole fg range together since release.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #167
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie
Cough, 1500+ sportwagons sold in August cough. : with july & august sales, that might be more than the whole fg range together since release.
Facts are facts ;)
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #168
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Anyone remember the Hyundai Lantra Sportswagon. It was about as sporty as John Howard, probably just about as ugly too.
LOL! quote worthy
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post