Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #151
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
For crying out loud, why is everyone bickering like school girls and getting so worked up?

Seriously, come on this is getting ridiculous.
I get worked up because inconsiderate actions by motorists put my life and the life of my family and friends at risk.

This is an incident that happened to me about two years ago.....

Last Thursday night when riding home after doing an intense bunch ride, I was cycling two abreast with one other rider. I was riding about one metre out from a line of parked cars doing 32 km/h (20 mph), when a driver opened their car door a fraction of a second before I reached it. I had absolutely no opportunity to swerve. I collected the door with my left hand and handlebar. I had visions of being flung off my bike and into the path of a following vehicle, just like an incident that recently claimed the life of a cyclist in my region. Fortunately I was flung off the seat and out of pedals and I managed to stay upright by sliding along on my bike shoes, kind of like a barefoot water skier. When I came to a stop, I laid the bike down on the road and walked to the footpath. My middle finger on my left had felt sore, so I had a look at it and I didn't like what I saw. My first impression was that I had lost the end of my finger, but on closer inspection it was all there, but had been degloved from the tip to just before where the finger nail begins. I was dripping blood all over the footpath and luckily one of the first people on the scene was a GP. She put everything back in place and wrapped it in a tea towel. I was feeling rather light headed and nauseous at this stage. The couple from the car that opened the door on me were very apologetic and helpful. They took both myself and my bike to the local emergency department and hung around until I was admitted.

I was taken into triage within quarter of an hour, where the nurse inspected the injury and placed a bandage onto the finger to ease the bleeding and keep everything in place. I was then lead into the emergency ward, stripped of my bike clothes and gowned up. After awhile a doctor arrived, I was given morphine and a drip and she inspected the injury. A surgeon was then called to look at the wound. He said "I'm not going to lie to you, but this will bloody hurt" and he then instructed the doctor to give me a nerve block, flush out the wound and stitch it up. The doctor sewed up the wound, I was given IV antibiotics and some more pain killers and I was sent home. I was informed that infection was now the biggest risk, that the stitches were to come out in a weeks time and that I shouldn't return to work for a fortnight.

When I got home I had a look over my bike and gear. Where my finger was, the handlebar tape had been cut all the way through into the carbon fibre of the handlebar, a bidon cage had been ripped off, the carbon fibre sole of my left shoe had been cut all the way through for about an inch and the cleats had been really worn down. Since then I have also noted that my front wheel has a bit of a woof in it, which is pretty hard to do with Mavic Kysriums. I can't picture the repair being real cheap, but I'm confident that the car driver will pay.

The next day I went back to the hospital for x-rays of my fingers and hand. It turns out that the finger that had been degloved has multiple fractures at the end of the finger, but that the other fingers although stiff and sore are unbroken. Apparently such fractures take around six weeks to heal.

At this stage I'm planning on taking a week of work and then returning to answer the phones and do some paperwork. Being stuck at home with only one working hand is so boring.

This morning I went to take my bike to the local Trek dealer for a quote, only to find that they are closing down. This is a bit of an inconvenience as now the bike has to go back to were I bought it which is 800km round trip. The joys of living in our wide brown land.

So guys and girls, never ever open a car door without taking a good look for approaching traffic.

I was riding on the drops, so my fingers were right were the damage is.

The carbon fibre has looked better.

Looking at this, it is surprising that I didn't injure my foot at all.

I'm glad it was the cleats wearing down, not my knee/hip/elbow.

One week down, and the finger is healing up extremely well. If I'm lucky I may not even lose the nail. The biggest danger till this point was an infection getting into the bone. Now that the stitches are out I only have another day before infection should be an non issue.

I have got the quote for the damage to my bicycle and it's just over $1500. Now I have to wait for the approval of the other guys insurance company. I'm hoping that I won't have to go through the rigmarole of them trying to source a replacement bike and me having to explain how much the bike is actually worth to replace, or them trying to get another quote from Monkeys R Us Bike Store. A Trek Madone with Record componetry and Kysrium SLs isn't that cheap or easy to source. I would like to have the bike back for the Christmas Holidays as they are traditionally a cycling based holiday in my family, but somehow I think that I have a better chance of seeing the real Santa Claus.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #152
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
For crying out loud, why is everyone bickering like school girls and getting so worked up?

Old 09-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #153
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that's crazy xbgs351!!!

Least the driver stayed with you.

I'm sure some of the idiots who have posted here would have had a rant about no rego, and now taking their tax dollars from the hospital or some such rubbish
Old 09-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #154
thekovac
Starter Motor

I just wanted to say a few things and personally I don't give two hoots about all the negative rep you'll give me. I don't care about what rep my profile shows....

First of all I'd like to just say how disappointing it is to see some of the horrible attittude around here. What is this rubbish about "ohh they don't pay rego"... "get off our roads" etc.... How bloody selfish can you be to have absolutely no consideration for anyone but you and your big head about how important you are on the roads... phhfftt learn to care about others you ignorant little ..... uno what I was a driver until my license was suspended and yes I had to put with a few seconds of sitting behind a cyclist... so what did I become any less of man or was my life held back?? No way!.... so what if that cyclist held you up for a few seconds?? Chances are the next set of lights or that safer or older driver up the road will do that anyway... cry me a river people... maybe give a little care about others and maybe then some of you will understand what is to be a human living in society not a caveman living on thier own think they own everything they touch.... many cylists like me have not much else options..good on ya for keeping your licence or maybe I should say good on ya for not being caught yet... but many don't have that luxury - so what? should they be bound to the footpath or put up with the rubbish public transport system?? I think its a little unfair to be so arrogant and aggressive to these people... you don't know their circumstances so don't sit there on cloud 9 talking about how superior you are because you spend half your pay on your car and you have a licence...not everyone has those luxuries so they may not have other options.... unbelievable how much selfishness goes around here.... uno what half of you should go to a 3rd world country and see the condition they live and how they get around town... its just too good for people here and they can complain and winge over a few cylists.... I'm pretty sure if you have to live in some of the poorer cities of the world you'd wouldn't be so ignorant and selfish.....

I lost my licence a few weeks back and now I've got to find other ways of transport, which will be mainly bikes... to think that there are still idiots like some of the ignorant posters here possibly on the roads that I'd be cycling on is a scary thought... while I may have had a few seconds of studpity that I will pay 12 months off the road for, most of my driving was done properly and safely, infact my friends used to know me as one of the safer drivers around (obviously until I had a quick adrenaline rush and lost all sense of rationality), and guess what I survived sitting behind that cyclist for a few seconds.... and believe you all will too ;) will it kill you to be considerate??? When you're on the roads you have to be considerate to other drivers so why can't you do the same to cyclists??? Give a little take a little simple... what has happened to society?!? When did it become acceptable to give no consideration to others.

Sorry to rant on, I'm just a little annoyed with selfish people who don't two hoots about others expect they sit on thier high horses complaining about others... and to those who say "ohh riders are this and that and so bad on the roads..." phhftt as if motorists aren't?! remind me how many accidents, how many idiots (like me) have had their car impounded and be in huge amounts of legal trouble for being tossers on the roads??? I doubt we're only talking 4 digit numbers here... off the top of my head I can think of a few of my mates who drive like complete idiots still rolling on the roads......being a car forum, now don't get me wrong not having a go I think this a great forum and has lots of smart and proper drivers etc, but I'd like to see how many people here who spend alot of thier earning (if not all of it) on thier cars doing them up are perfectly legal and always do the speed limit, even at 11pm at night on large open empty road??? That I'd like to see!! With cars here chunking out 300kw's and more I would like to see how many can hold themselves back on the roads and "only do that kind of stuff down the 1/4 mile".... as if... when you've got that much power I'd like to see how much you can restrict yourself...especially in circumstances when you're on your own.... so you can that there are a huge amount more stupid drivers than riders.... I don't even think the numbers will even be comparable....

Thats all what I wanted to say..tell me off or tell me to gtfo I'd don't care...... moral of the story... be considerate and live with it - thats life princess - nothing you can do to change it - so stop whinning, be a human and think of others... end of story..

/rant

Thank you.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #155
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekovac
I just wanted to say a few things and personally I don't give two hoots about all the negative rep you'll give me. I don't care about what rep my profile shows....

First of all I'd like to just say how disappointing it is to see some of the horrible attittude around here. What is this rubbish about "ohh they don't pay rego"... "get off our roads" etc.... How bloody selfish can you be to have absolutely no consideration for anyone but you and your big head about how important you are on the roads... phhfftt learn to care about others you ignorant little ..... uno what I was a driver until my license was suspended and yes I had to put with a few seconds of sitting behind a cyclist... so what did I become any less of man or was my life held back?? No way!.... so what if that cyclist held you up for a few seconds?? Chances are the next set of lights or that safer or older driver up the road will do that anyway... cry me a river people... maybe give a little care about others and maybe then some of you will understand what is to be a human living in society not a caveman living on thier own think they own everything they touch.... many cylists like me have not much else options..good on ya for keeping your licence or maybe I should say good on ya for not being caught yet... but many don't have that luxury - so what? should they be bound to the footpath or put up with the rubbish public transport system?? I think its a little unfair to be so arrogant and aggressive to these people... you don't know their circumstances so don't sit there on cloud 9 talking about how superior you are because you spend half your pay on your car and you have a licence...not everyone has those luxuries so they may not have other options.... unbelievable how much selfishness goes around here.... uno what half of you should go to a 3rd world country and see the condition they live and how they get around town... its just too good for people here and they can complain and winge over a few cylists.... I'm pretty sure if you have to live in some of the poorer cities of the world you'd wouldn't be so ignorant and selfish.....

I lost my licence a few weeks back and now I've got to find other ways of transport, which will be mainly bikes... to think that there are still idiots like some of the ignorant posters here possibly on the roads that I'd be cycling on is a scary thought... while I may have had a few seconds of studpity that I will pay 12 months off the road for, most of my driving was done properly and safely, infact my friends used to know me as one of the safer drivers around (obviously until I had a quick adrenaline rush and lost all sense of rationality), and guess what I survived sitting behind that cyclist for a few seconds.... and believe you all will too ;) will it kill you to be considerate??? When you're on the roads you have to be considerate to other drivers so why can't you do the same to cyclists??? Give a little take a little simple... what has happened to society?!? When did it become acceptable to give no consideration to others.

Sorry to rant on, I'm just a little annoyed with selfish people who don't two hoots about others expect they sit on thier high horses complaining about others... and to those who say "ohh riders are this and that and so bad on the roads..." phhftt as if motorists aren't?! remind me how many accidents, how many idiots (like me) have had their car impounded and be in huge amounts of legal trouble for being tossers on the roads??? I doubt we're only talking 4 digit numbers here... off the top of my head I can think of a few of my mates who drive like complete idiots still rolling on the roads......being a car forum, now don't get me wrong not having a go I think this a great forum and has lots of smart and proper drivers etc, but I'd like to see how many people here who spend alot of thier earning (if not all of it) on thier cars doing them up are perfectly legal and always do the speed limit, even at 11pm at night on large open empty road??? That I'd like to see!! With cars here chunking out 300kw's and more I would like to see how many can hold themselves back on the roads and "only do that kind of stuff down the 1/4 mile".... as if... when you've got that much power I'd like to see how much you can restrict yourself...especially in circumstances when you're on your own.... so you can that there are a huge amount more stupid drivers than riders.... I don't even think the numbers will even be comparable....

Thats all what I wanted to say..tell me off or tell me to gtfo I'd don't care...... moral of the story... be considerate and live with it - thats life princess - nothing you can do to change it - so stop whinning, be a human and think of others... end of story..

/rant

Thank you.
I find it funny that you can criticise others for being stupid or inconsiderate on the road, and implying that everyone who does not hold the same point of view you have drives illegally, when you yourself have done exactly that.

I'm not saying I don't agree that people should be more considerate on the roads, but rants like that will only continue this thread on the downward spiral it has taken. Just wait for the responses.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
Old 09-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #156
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
I find it funny that you can criticise others for being stupid or inconsiderate on the road, and implying that everyone who does not hold the same point of view you have drives illegally, when you yourself have done exactly that.

I'm not saying I don't agree that people should be more considerate on the roads, but rants like that will only continue this thread on the downward spiral it has taken. Just wait for the responses.
To a point, but I believe the post does show insight into their stupid behaviour and actually considers the impact being an idiot has on others. There are many posts in this thread that show no insight into how the issue can affect people and appear to be a product, hopefully, of lack of thought. Worse they could be products of narcissistic, or delusions of grandeur (not Hyundai!) tendancies. Yeah he did something wrong, admits it, admits they are an idiot, and seems to recognise their error. There does at least appear some hope there...

PS. Whatever you did thekovac, hope its lesson learned and its not repeated.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #157
thekovac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
I'm not excusing what I did, I agree I was idiot and I deserve what I got completely - I'm paying for my stupidity both financially, mentally and even socially, so I'm not sitting here going "ohh I'm so perfect and look at me" because I'm far from it, just saying that it doesn't hurt to be a bit considerate. Yes they are annoying, but its a far call to say for them to be off the roads. Beleive me, most of the rides I've spoken to wouldn't ride on the roads if there was better infrastructure for them like in Amsterdam etc, but that sort of upgrade isn't going to happen for a while (if ever) so we just need to deal with it... you can't dwell on things that can't be changed! Then again if the government started spending all the road revenue on building infrastructure for bicycles, then we'd have another outcry and wingefest over a waste of money, so really there is no real solution to the problem other than maybe a little consideration and possibly education from both sides.... I would call on the government to run a few campaigns about cycling safety but thats really all that can be changed... all I'm saying lets not be old wingers sit here and complain, but think yeah its annoying but uno what I'm a human so maybe I should care for others and be considerate to their situation and just spare a few seconds of patience as its highly likely you'll have to sit behind them for long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
PS. Whatever you did thekovac, hope its lesson learned and its not repeated.
Mate yes you can guarantee that I will not speed ever again, nevertheless the 50k's that I went over a few weeks back. Its a hard lesson, but I will learn, first time I was ever pullled over the cops and will aim for it to be last... I don't want anymore trouble from the BiB ever again.. the first time they got they got me bad... and I will endeavor that they will have no reason to pull me over again apart from a maybe a few visual mods on my car...
Old 09-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #158
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

National Ride To Work Day

https://www.registerridetowork.com.au/home
Old 09-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #159
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
You sit there and rave on about how bad cyclists are, leading to you coming to the decision they should not be on the road. You cite occasions of where a bad cyclist has delayed you and therefore your reasoning is justified in your mind. Well those cyclists you cite are hated by people like me for the exact same reason. In fact I probably hate them more than you as their actions provoke actions in drivers that make my life hell, from people with attitudes like yours.

Well, something to think about, for every cyclist you can refer to that has done the wrong thing, I can match it with a story of a bad motorist. There are bad examples on both sides of the equation.

What I find amusing is that when someone actually sits down and does a bit of thinking about the cost of use of roads issue, you do not even stop and think about it, you just go back to shouting "bikes don't belong there".

I used the damage to roads calculation as a means to work out how much rego to pay, just as a small car pays less than a large car, which in turn pays less than a truck. Not for the reason of some concern about damage to roads, obviously you could not see that reasoning, probably because you spent no time reading what I said before you waded in.

This is all shown by the fact that you did not even comment on my suggestion of a road use levy for the construction of bike lanes, or did you not get that far through my post?
It seems there are quite a few cyclists on FordForums.

I didn't comment on your idea because your idea is, well, silly. In fact it is so unrealistic that I thought you were being sarcastic. Apparently not. How are you going to charge a levy on every bike sold in Australia so we can construct cycle lanes for the small percentage of people that will actually use them? Are you telling me that little 8 year old Johnny is going to have to pay 10% more for his bike so hardcore cyclists can have their precious cycle lanes? How many bikes are sold in Australia each year, and what is 10% of their cost? That might fund one or two cycle lanes. Hopefully leading off a cliff. Like I said, stupid idea. And yes, I said leading off a cliff. Calm down, I don't actually mean that. The people at the bottom of the cliff would be put in danger by falling cyclists. We can't have that.

Also, as far as rego goes, I don't believe I countered your point about how rego should be calculated by "shouting bikes don't belong there". Read my post and you will find something along the lines of: it's about paying to use the road that irks some people. Look at it in the context of my post - I am condemning BAD cyclists who abuse the fact that they ride for free. In fact directly afterwards I say that they should use the cycle lane OR obey the ROAD RULES. Rego doesn't even worry me. Ask a moderator to track edits to my previous post and you will find the rego argument was edited in after it was initially posted. It's hardly a core argument; it's just icing on the cake.

It's funny, these days every time you get a controversial topic, the do-gooders come in their droves and whine about the humanity of the situation, how us drivers have such bad attitudes and how society has been degraded to the point where us evil drivers have no time for cyclists making a mockery of the road rules. Well, grow a set (assuming the bicycle seat hasn't ruined all hope). Not once have I condemned cyclists as a whole, only the type of cylist who doesn't obey the road rules yet asks to be treated equally. It's simply really: if you ride on the road, obey the road rules. Fact: Most cyclists don't.

It's funny how you cyclists condemn drivers, you get a few a**holes that drive reckless and suddenly all drivers are impatient. Personally I can't stand impatient people on the road. Read my posts, I have already said that I give cyclists respect on the road, even though some of them irk me. And on the subject of reading posts, perhaps you should try reading some of mine rather than generalising everything I have said. If you sit down and put your reading glasses on, you will find I have said that I give cyclists respect, even though alot of them don't deserve to be using the road because they are downright dangerous.

I'm sure this post is going to give alot of the pro-cyclist crowd hot flushes and I am waiting for the tights brigade to fire back at me, explaining how ignorant I obviously am, amongst other things. Don't hold back. Just remember, as I have said earlier, I don't mind cyclists that OBEY the rules. If you want to ride on the road and break every road rule while crying foul that Mr. Adrenaline has conemned your stupidity, either grow a set or hang up the tights. Also, for your information, my cousin was killed riding a mountain bike on the road 3 years ago. So don't you dare tell me that all people with "attitudes" like mine don't drive safely around cyclists because I take the issue very seriously.

My fingers are sore from typing.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #160
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

When I was 16 I was out on a training ride, preparing for the national road titles. I was riding down a road that was dual lane in my direction, dual lane in the other direction with a right turn lane into the side street. The lane on the right of mine was banked up traffic because of a right turn lane further up the road, my lane was flowing easily through the intersection. As I approached the intersection I looked and it was clear so I rode through at a speed that matched traffic in my lane (approx 20kph). As I did this, a car turned from the turn lane into the side street that intesected with the road I was on. This car just floored it across the intersection while I was in it. The result was I was t boned by the car, sent over the bonnet, roof and boot. The first thing I knew of the accident was hearing the bang, I felt no pain and did not realise I had been hit until I was sliding off the boot lid of the car. As I slid off the boot, I fell backwards and hit the back of my head on the bitumen, my bike was still connected to one foot, my other foot had been riped out of the back of my shoe by the force of the impact.

The resulting injuries was fractured toe, foot in three places and tibia/fibula all on one leg. I also had a severe haemotoma and muscular damage on my other thigh where the bike frame hit it, hard enough to snap the carbon fibre tube. I also had a fractured right wrist and haemotoma on the back of my head with concussion.

Needless to say I never did go to the national titles and in fact could not ride for 6 months. It then took me a further 2 years to get the nerve back to ride again.

So why do threads like this really annoy cyclists when we read the comments of "they have no right to be there"?

When I was hit by the car, the lady drove up the road, pulled over and walked back down. She then abused me for being on the road and continued to tell me I had no right to be there, I should be riding on the path. When another person that was helping me told her to be quiet, she told him off and said "cyclists should not be on the road, you can't see them". I should point out at the time I was wearing a fluoro yellow, green and orange shirt.

That is one occasion that I have heard all these arguments, others have also been when I have been side swiped etc, thats why it annoys us. People that accept we have a righ to be there and show us courtesy usually do not hit us as well as always get courtesy and respect from me.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #161
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
It seems there are quite a few cyclists on FordForums.

I didn't comment on your idea because your idea is, well, silly. In fact it is so unrealistic that I thought you were being sarcastic. Apparently not. How are you going to charge a levy on every bike sold in Australia so we can construct cycle lanes for the small percentage of people that will actually use them? Are you telling me that little 8 year old Johnny is going to have to pay 10% more for his bike so hardcore cyclists can have their precious cycle lanes? How many bikes are sold in Australia each year, and what is 10% of their cost? That might fund one or two cycle lanes. Hopefully leading off a cliff. Like I said, stupid idea. And yes, I said leading off a cliff. Calm down, I don't actually mean that. The people at the bottom of the cliff would be put in danger by falling cyclists. We can't have that.

Also, as far as rego goes, I don't believe I countered your point about how rego should be calculated by "shouting bikes don't belong there". Read my post and you will find something along the lines of: it's about paying to use the road that irks some people. Look at it in the context of my post - I am condemning BAD cyclists who abuse the fact that they ride for free. In fact directly afterwards I say that they should use the cycle lane OR obey the ROAD RULES. Rego doesn't even worry me. Ask a moderator to track edits to my previous post and you will find the rego argument was edited in after it was initially posted. It's hardly a core argument; it's just icing on the cake.

It's funny, these days every time you get a controversial topic, the do-gooders come in their droves and whine about the humanity of the situation, how us drivers have such bad attitudes and how society has been degraded to the point where us evil drivers have no time for cyclists making a mockery of the road rules. Well, grow a set (assuming the bicycle seat hasn't ruined all hope). Not once have I condemned cyclists as a whole, only the type of cylist who doesn't obey the road rules yet asks to be treated equally. It's simply really: if you ride on the road, obey the road rules. Fact: Most cyclists don't.

It's funny how you cyclists condemn drivers, you get a few a**holes that drive reckless and suddenly all drivers are impatient. Personally I can't stand impatient people on the road. Read my posts, I have already said that I give cyclists respect on the road, even though some of them irk me. And on the subject of reading posts, perhaps you should try reading some of mine rather than generalising everything I have said. If you sit down and put your reading glasses on, you will find I have said that I give cyclists respect, even though alot of them don't deserve to be using the road because they are downright dangerous.

I'm sure this post is going to give alot of the pro-cyclist crowd hot flushes and I am waiting for the tights brigade to fire back at me, explaining how ignorant I obviously am, amongst other things. Don't hold back. Just remember, as I have said earlier, I don't mind cyclists that OBEY the rules. If you want to ride on the road and break every road rule while crying foul that Mr. Adrenaline has conemned your stupidity, either grow a set or hang up the tights. Also, for your information, my cousin was killed riding a mountain bike on the road 3 years ago. So don't you dare tell me that all people with "attitudes" like mine don't drive safely around cyclists because I take the issue very seriously.

My fingers are sore from typing.

2nd , I'm over it, sorry to hear of other members injuries etc - now taking a bex and going to watch Bathurst.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #162
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*evil wall of text*

Cmon guys throw in the towels and get over this thread already.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #163
Falcman0o7
Banned

* Thread Closed *
Old 10-10-2009, 04:01 AM   #164
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Take your head out of your backside then, you are a danger to everyone on the road.
Woah yet another blind "responsible" religious textbook statement.

And you're an ignorant dreamer who needs to understand how the real world works. And most importantly understand the situation that you are commenting too, instead of making blind general statements.

First of all when driving I'm looking at my surroundings for hazards. While driving on a main road I do not have my eyes GLUED to my left mirror (He was next to me for 5 seconds brainiac). Instead I'm looking out for pedestrians, eyes usually fixed ahead; as you need to be cautious in slow speed city traffic since you know it stop starts frequently. Not to mention cars constantly lane hoppnig in front of you.

So why would anyone in this situation account for some moron who PULLS OUT FROM A SIDE STREET YOU ARE PASSING to cycle next to your rear quarter panel/rear door for 5 or so seconds?

He didn't hop out in front of me, He hopped out ALONG ME. Like I clearly stated.

Tell me genius. Do you look out through your windscreen or your passenger mirror when checking for hazardous road users to fail to give way?

You're on the lookout through your windscreen to see if some moron jumps out in front of you. You do this so you can have ample time to brake to prevent such a hazard.
Why would I be checking for vehicles to pull out along side of me?
Braking won't prevent it. I have no control in that situation.

Looking along the car would be completely useless it won't change anything. Then to account a cyclist in that situation. A cyclist out of all road users. Who would seriously be that crazy to perform the stunt he did? That cyclist must have a had a death wish. Or faith that I focus all attention on my passenger mirror while driving on a main road in stop start traffic.
Should I also account for a tree to fall in front of me? An asteroid to shoot through my windscreen? My rear axle to fall out randomly?

The point is the moron pulled out and failed to give way, if he was a car he would've hit me. However being a cyclist he believed he'd abuse his advantages and drive along me. At the expense of his own safety.

Get a clue.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:26 AM   #165
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Woah yet another blind "responsible" religious textbook statement.

And you're an ignorant dreamer who needs to understand how the real world works. And most importantly understand the situation that you are commenting too, instead of making blind general statements.

First of all when driving I'm looking at my surroundings for hazards. While driving on a main road I do not have my eyes GLUED to my left mirror (He was next to me for 5 seconds brainiac). Instead I'm looking out for pedestrians, eyes usually fixed ahead; as you need to be cautious in slow speed city traffic since you know it stop starts frequently. Not to mention cars constantly lane hoppnig in front of you.

So why would anyone in this situation account for some moron who PULLS OUT FROM A SIDE STREET YOU ARE PASSING to cycle next to your rear quarter panel/rear door for 5 or so seconds?

He didn't hop out in front of me, He hopped out ALONG ME. Like I clearly stated.

Tell me genius. Do you look out through your windscreen or your passenger mirror when checking for hazardous road users to fail to give way?

You're on the lookout through your windscreen to see if some moron jumps out in front of you. You do this so you can have ample time to brake to prevent such a hazard.
Why would I be checking for vehicles to pull out along side of me?
Braking won't prevent it. I have no control in that situation.

Looking along the car would be completely useless it won't change anything. Then to account a cyclist in that situation. A cyclist out of all road users. Who would seriously be that crazy to perform the stunt he did? That cyclist must have a had a death wish. Or faith that I focus all attention on my passenger mirror while driving on a main road in stop start traffic.
Should I also account for a tree to fall in front of me? An asteroid to shoot through my windscreen? My rear axle to fall out randomly?

The point is the moron pulled out and failed to give way, if he was a car he would've hit me. However being a cyclist he believed he'd abuse his advantages and drive along me. At the expense of his own safety.

Get a clue.
well according to this thread cyclists are apparently always in the right, are model citizens for the rest of us and we shouldn't be driving at all because the road is their red carpet to strut their lycra fashion. All drivers are on high horses and need to humble themselves before the almighty cyclist and ask what his will is. :

I don't want to be responsible for some maniacal cyclists demise because they think they can pretend they're a car when it pleases them (which is apparently all the time according to this thread), and break all the rules when they please - which exist to protect ALL road users (even pedestrians have right of way over cyclists).
Old 10-10-2009, 04:57 AM   #166
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
well according to this thread cyclists are apparently always in the right, are model citizens for the rest of us and we shouldn't be driving at all because the road is their red carpet to strut their lycra fashion. All drivers are on high horses and need to humble themselves before the almighty cyclist and ask what his will is. :

I don't want to be responsible for some maniacal cyclists demise because they think they can pretend they're a car when it pleases them (which is apparently all the time according to this thread), and break all the rules when they please - which exist to protect ALL road users (even pedestrians have right of way over cyclists).
Nah it's our fault. We should be giving way to cyclist in any situation. Right guys?

Cmon many of you on here love and agree with black and white statements such as this. They're mainly unrealistic and can't correlate to the real world but most importantly they SOUND responsible and wise and really that's all that matters. I'm happy being blind.

Like in my situation I could've given way to him by shifting into oncoming traffic or getting optimus prime to pick my car up. Next time I'll know better when in that situation again.

Sarcasm aside lets say cyclists have right of way. Period (much like the person behind rule).
I would be responsible if I hit him with the side of my car accidentally. Despite me driving perfectly, and him driving like a maniac breaking an extremely dangerous road law I would still be guilty.
A grey area would be: Hang on, the cyclist was the one who triggered the accident. The motorist wasn't at fault, there's nothing he could've done, what could he do to prevent it realistically? therefore we deem the cyclist at fault. A lot of people on here don't know what a gray area is. The forum is constantly bombarded with puritanical, black and white nonsense and it's always in advice threads mainly to do with speeding/law/conflicts etc.
How about you give some real advice that can actually help the person.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 10-10-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #167
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Flog,flog,flog,flog........get up you,c'mon get up..........nope guess this horse is dead.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 10-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #168
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

After four days and seven pages this argument shows no sign of slowing down.
How about we show each other some respect on the roads and go back to arguing about Fords.
Closed Thread