Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #151
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Default Re: Clarkson writes review on his experience in an FPV GT.

So in the UK you can get a Nissan GT-R for slightly more then you'd pay for a FPV GT or GT-P here?

Thats insane.

Oh, and on that pricing comparison, from memory they were saying on topgear that Vauxhall were selling the R8 over there for around 30,000 pounds. On current exchange rate, thats about $45,000. This was a while ago when the exchange rate wasnt so good though.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #152
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
One thing to remember is that he is compaing directly not at the ridiculous prices charged here.

A FPV GT costs about AUD $75,000 which is about 50,000 pounds and in UK you can buy a BMW 335i for 38,000 and a M3 or C63 AMG for 54,000.

The fact that in Australia euro cars are grossly overpriced is irrevent. Top Gear has a world wide audience so everything needs to be compared equally.
Well when you put it like that and if the GT could be purchased in the UK his opinion becomes relevant, you would be stupid to buy the GT (living in the UK that is)

As for the manual vs auto, ill still buy a manual i couldnt care how good the auto it, how fast it shifts etc, it doesnt have a clutch so no sale.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #153
fordv8!

it think people are overreacting he didn't say it was rubbish, compared to the euro's they probably dont feel as good handling wise but i wouldn't know have driven neither.and yeah why is aus so expensive???.
And FPV/FORD surely the could have given him a GTE at least.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #154
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Well when you put it like that and if the GT could be purchased in the UK his opinion becomes relevant, you would be stupid to buy the GT (living in the UK that is)

As for the manual vs auto, ill still buy a manual i couldnt care how good the auto it, how fast it shifts etc, it doesnt have a clutch so no sale.
Yes but at $40k a Mustang is a great buy, $140k makes it not so much does it?
It is our own fault that cars cost so much here.

And have a go at a "real" DSG, they are not traditional slushies....
Old 11-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #155
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yes but at $40k a Mustang is a great buy, $140k makes it not so much does it?
It is our own fault that cars cost so much here.

Tis true

Yes i have driven a DSG.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #156
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY270
Since my car spends most of its time around the 'burbs and on the motorway (often in traffic), an auto make sense. Then, when I feel like "driving" it, I can stick it into manual shift, and control the changes myself.

Sure, a manual may be a bit more fun, but for 95% of my driving an auto makes much more sense.

The majority of people who buy cars like these will never take them to a track, heck some won't even see the redline. They want to get to work, pickup the kids, do the shopping, etc. I think an auto works better for those tasks.

I'd say the people walking past it knew the F6 didn't have only 310kw
I've never taken any of my cars to the track, admittedly I do not own a modern day car (1993 is my daily) so I don't know all about new gearboxes but I just prefer manual.

I know it gets tiresome sitting in traffic in manuals but I got used to it, I see your point for sure... no one else in my family is interested in buying a car that doesn't have an auto gearbox (my sister has a manual celica but I had to teach her to drive it).

I personally wouldn't buy an auto performance car new when you have the option of having manual.
If there was no option for manual, I'd buy a car that did have the option.
Your opinion remains valid, as does mine.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #157
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordv8!
And FPV/FORD surely the could have given him a GTE at least.
Wouldn't have made a skerrick of difference. The problems with Falcon extend far beyond the false perception of quality which may or may not be induced by the lack of bodykit, some woodgrain, and red leather.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #158
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
my comment was in response to the guy who said you can have control in an auto. You cant. Autos are getting better but they are not as smart as humans. They are the obvious choice for drag racing but.
However manuals are on the death bed with car company's making it harder to buy one. I believe in 10 years time manuals will be gone for good and that will suck for people like me who like to actually drive instead of being steering wheel attendants.
With a ZF auto you have a lot of control. You obviously have never owned a ZF equipped car. Shifting in the sequential gate, you choose the gear it's in, unlike a lot of sequential autos the computer will never override you- it will hold the gear and bounce off the limiter until you upshift. The shifts are like lightening, much quicker than a manual could ever be and you can blip the throttle on downshifts. Driving through a twisty road, you choose every gear and it changes instantly. Do yourself a favour and drive a performance Ford with a ZF auto, you might just be surprised.

And regarding the steering wheel attendants comment, I've found that a lot of people who drive manuals tend to be quite up themselves like that. Go walk up to a Ferrari owner and tell him he's a steering wheel attendant.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:37 AM   #159
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Honestly, I'd love to have a go in a ZF equipped high performance car.
Unfortunately I'm 18 and don't have that sort of cash.
Maybe in a few years time I will but until then, I'll be unaware of how good they are.

The 4 speed in my brother's BAII is atrocious so I'm hoping it truly is light-years ahead of that.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #160
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
The 4 speed in my brother's BAII is atrocious so I'm hoping it truly is light-years ahead of that.
They are worlds apart, in fact, they aren't even in the same universe. This is the same gearbox used in the Maserati Quattroporte, Jaguar XF & XKR, Range Rover Sport, Audi RS6, Bentley Continental GT & Flying Spur, BMW X5 & 7 Series... the list goes on. It's a good box.

Last edited by Dave R; 12-05-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #161
ray38l

^But its still an auto. It is a personal preference but i just get bored and feel like the car could drive itself in an auto.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:00 AM   #162
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
^But its still an auto. It is a personal preference but i just get bored and feel like the car could drive itself in an auto.
Pretty much the way I feel, I may just be a gorilla or something but I love having a clutch... and NEEDING to change gears.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #163
Dave R

Quote:
That's fair & I agree driving a manual car can be much more fun when the time is right, I personally couldn't do it in the city every day though. Hence the auto works great for me.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:18 AM   #164
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonic
You still getting around in a magna?
Old 12-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #165
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
They are worlds apart, in fact, they aren't even in the same universe. This is the same gearbox used in the Maserati Quattroporte, Jaguar XF & XKR, Range Rover Sport, Audi RS6, Bentley Continental GT & Flying Spur, BMW X5 & 7 Series... the list goes on. It's a good box.

edit: sorry- I quoted above but wasn't having a go......just illustrating my support for the auto box too

Good lord this thread has entertained me! What a load of drivel.......don't let the whinging poms read this or we ll be labeled the whingers!

Is just a throwaway comment, no need to get so upset......some of you must suffer about three heart attacks a day just watching the awful things on the news if this little bit of comedy upsets you so much.

I think I am qualified to comment on the cars- not the GT as I have never driven one but have had 4 late model falcons over the last 6 years.....I did say in another thread that the build quality was below parr but an auto falcon has always still fitted my critera for a large comfy sedan that can tow 2300kgs- the manual certainly can't do that- coupled with the fact I do 65000kms a year,much of it in crappy Sydney traffic.

Clarkson has pooh poohed far more exotic machinery but I haven't seen Any of these cars sales dwindling as a result of his rantings.
He isn't everyone's cup of tea but he appeals to a massive proportion of the population everywhere and it is this sort of crass comment that hallmarks his appeal.......keep it up Clarkson, I for one will keep watching and I promise not to cry like a baby every time you diss a car I have either owned of aspire to

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...

Last edited by RAREV8; 12-05-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #166
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I'm sure someoneone has already said this here, but I knew this would happen.

Everyone was hanging out for JC to drive the FoA product, because he would "love it", but now that he has and said he doesn't like it, you all go on a rampage on how wrong or dumb or one eyed he is.

Typical...

Oo\===/oO
Old 12-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #167
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
for people like me who like to actually drive instead of being steering wheel attendants.
I need a car with an ignition wand. You aren't a REAL driver if you don't advance your own timing.

EDIT: In fact, you need a crank handle as well. You aren't a real enthusiast unless you have to start your car manually.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #168
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Everyone was hanging out for JC to drive the FoA product, because he would "love it", but now that he has and said he doesn't like it, you all go on a rampage on how wrong or dumb or one eyed he is.

Typical...
we forgot to tell him it was made in the UK
...that makes all the difference to TG and JC.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #169
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
we forgot to tell him it was made in the UK
...that makes all the difference to TG and JC.

Haha! He did mention prodrive engineered it in the UK!

Bah, I DO take exception to his remark about the days of Mad Max and his interceptor........world class car, the X series coupe!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
Old 12-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #170
Mitch89
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A lot of the modern autos aren't "slushies" either.

I'm not overly a fan of the DSG, they can get a tad jerky at times (eg. stop start traffic), though they are improving in that respect (the 7-speed VW DSG is better than the 6-speed in this regard).

I wouldn't want to own a car with one outside of warranty, can only imagine the cost to fix one.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #171
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since when has the ZF auto in a Falcon blipped on down shifting? I haven't heard it do it once in the GS, am I doing something wrong?

Honestly, Clarkson is entertaining but like every other journalist his opions are just that!

How can he honestly bag out every BMW he drives and sings praise for every Jaguar he drives? It's pretty obvious to many people he has a hate for certain marques regardless of how good they are. Take it with a grain of slat people, just like every other review you read!

Last edited by BadMax; 12-05-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #172
The Snout

Poverty Pack Performance. Clarkson is spot on.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #173
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY270
A lot of the modern autos aren't "slushies" either.

I'm not overly a fan of the DSG, they can get a tad jerky at times (eg. stop start traffic), though they are improving in that respect (the 7-speed VW DSG is better than the 6-speed in this regard).

I wouldn't want to own a car with one outside of warranty, can only imagine the cost to fix one.
Clunk clunk, a tad jerky.....ever driven a BA GT-P manual?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #174
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
Poverty Pack Performance. Clarkson is spot on.
And he is right to a degree. There is no Euro close to the same price bracket offering the same performance levels.
If I could afford 150K I'd also be in either a BMW M3 or a Mercedes Benz C63.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #175
BlueOvalPrint

Pfft, at least Clarkson didn't drop a piano on it...
Old 12-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #176
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
And he is right to a degree. There is no Euro close to the same price bracket offering the same performance levels.
If I could afford 150K I'd also be in either a BMW M3 or a Mercedes Benz C63.
In Australia there isnt. But convert the price to Pounds and its almost enough for a BMW M3 or Nissan GT-R.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #177
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
In Australia there isnt. But convert the price to Pounds and its almost enough for a BMW M3 or Nissan GT-R.
It's irrelevent as the FPV isn't sold in Europe, so a comparison of costs can not be drawn on the unobtanium.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #178
Mitch89
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Clunk clunk, a tad jerky.....ever driven a BA GT-P manual?
Yep, but we're talking about autos. Ford's manuals are still clunky in the FG.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #179
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bird
I need a car with an ignition wand. You aren't a REAL driver if you don't advance your own timing.

EDIT: In fact, you need a crank handle as well. You aren't a real enthusiast unless you have to start your car manually.
good try but massive fail.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #180
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
good try but massive fail.
Cool story bro.

The arrogance of a lot of people suggesting that only they are "true enthusiasts" is irritating at best. Some people like manuals, some like autos - to each his or her own.