Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #181
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
I'm also wondering if the potential FPV S/C V8 owner will be satisfied in a product that merely matches the alternative offering from HSV.......a N/A clubsport. As HSE2 alluded to........it may be what FPV are aiming for......equal / similar performance. Don't know about you, but there's just something mentally and emotionally disappointing about a perceived premium S/C application being equalled by a N/A one ????

Methinks the HSV marketing machine will have a field day............ :

What equalled by displacement capacity of over one litre??? Nah. Its new world mate and its the other way round. People will be asking why the HSV is so slow and uses so much fuel compared to the 5.0. There is a real risk that the HSV engines will be seen as very much yesterday. It’s an equally valid stand point to the one you suggest.

It’s a BS argument. It won’t matter how you get there, it’s the end result that matters and in that the FPV V8 won’t be lacking.
And for clarification my comments were speaking of consumer expectation. There is no justification in expecting anything other than a GT that fights on an equal footing to that offered by its major competitor. Head down that path and expectations will be exceeded. The how it gets there is irrilevent.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #182
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To bring another aspect into this 'modified v new', Whats the sale ratio XR8 v GT, same could be said there in regards to gaining higher performance via the cheaper buying alternative?

I think the ratio would be low, for most people a new car purchase is either 'an expensive upgrade' for them, or a 'turn over in 2/3/4 years time' thing.

Either way, people who are looking at modifying most likely aren't buying new units, this demographic will be looking more into b series FPV's rather than F series off the showroom floor.

The key to selling an updated model of anything is to make people WANT your product, an upgraded interior with more technology and certain other things will insure people WANT a new product over modifying an older model.
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #183
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
it’s the end result that matters and in that the FPV V8 won’t be lacking.

And for clarification my comments were speaking of consumer expectation.

There is no justification in expecting anything other than a GT that fights on an equal footing to that offered by its major competitor. Head down that path and expectations will be exceeded. The how it gets there is irrilevent.

couldn't agree more HSE

FPV GT owners, future, past and present; do expect a product that delivers not just competitive performance with HSV, but 'in brand' halo product appeal as well.

And in B series this was lost some, not such a bad thing I suppose given the status held by F6T.

The new GT will restore order, and many that swung one way with B series ----> will swing the other.

600plus NM of torque will be sufficient to propell the Fg along, the power won't be so critical, and my guess, per F6T now, SC output will be 'understated' significantly upon release.

Either that, or, all of a sudden they will have fitted a drivetrain with a parasitic loss of only 20 kws.........

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #184
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
And for clarification my comments were speaking of consumer expectation. There is no justification in expecting anything other than a GT that fights on an equal footing to that offered by its major competitor.
Hmmmmmm............I think I've been hearing that for the last 6 years now..........

Here's to hoping........
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #185
Kraziman
BF GT Bionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Meh.........

I would never trade in the BFGT for a monumental loss to trade up to something with 40Kw more and with styling that doesn't excite me.
Keep it and buy another one! I have spent almost 10k on mine and I love the car it is now. I would never get an FG (spent too much money on mine). I agree that the BF looks better. But.........then I heard about the Coyote V8. The Boss motor is like having an Russian tank under the bonnet. So I've gone from thinking I'd never get another to "I can't wait to get one".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
It just doesn't make economic sense for the majority of us.........
You think you are the majority?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
....then the rest of us plebs still have some fantastic options to keep our BOSSes at the very pointy end of the performance arena
Depends how you define performance. On the track? No way. You'd get flogged by a much lighter V8 that has it's weight much lower in the engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
I'm already 1/2 way to saving the required $$$ for my own S/C instal that will provide me with the nappy changes I need everytime I push the button. The technology is out there now for most punters, and there is enough competition to ensure a high quality aftermarket product that is proven to work with the current BOSS motor and provide spectacular results with easy ROOM TO MOVE upwards..............
FPV are fighting the long stroke motor, trying to rev it harder by putting light pistons and conrods in it. You stick a S/C on a motor that was never designed for forced induction. Your choice. Yes , I know you can spend the money and do it properly but most don't and it costs a fortune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
If they bought out an AWD coupe......
I don't think an AWD system would do much for performance. Too heavy.

For the record. I lease mine and I'd lease the next one.
Old 20-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #186
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
What equalled by displacement capacity of over one litre??? Nah. Its new world mate and its the other way round. People will be asking why the HSV is so slow and uses so much fuel compared to the 5.0. There is a real risk that the HSV engines will be seen as very much yesterday. It’s an equally valid stand point to the one you suggest.

It’s a BS argument. It won’t matter how you get there, it’s the end result that matters and in that the FPV V8 won’t be lacking.
And for clarification my comments were speaking of consumer expectation. There is no justification in expecting anything other than a GT that fights on an equal footing to that offered by its major competitor. Head down that path and expectations will be exceeded. The how it gets there is irrilevent.

I have to agree with you here, many manufacturers are spending a lot of time and money advertising that they are achieving better efficiency and therefore fuel economy out of using smaller capacity with forced induction rather than big cubes. The public is getting used to this and I think perception is changing. The buyer will do the comparison, when faced with a 7L V8 with 330kw and a fuel consumption of 14.5/100km or a 5L S/C V8 with 330kw and a fuel consumption of 13.5L/100km (figures for illustration only and totally speculative), guess which they will see as the better power plant?

Personally I think FPV are on a better wicket here and have a better prospect rather than trying to keep the donosaur alive like the other team is doing.
Old 20-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #187
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Personally I think FPV are on a better wicket here and have a better prospect rather than trying to keep the donosaur alive like the other team is doing.

Agreed and it will only get better as the engine is developed both here and state side.

HSV never mounted an attack on the F6 trying to make it needed a turbo to better the 6.2 litre HSV and it’s only the more obscure owner that tries to bring up the subject. Times have moved on and this time round the smart money would be on public sentiment seeing more with less as the approved route.

I know I always like to think I have achieved more with less ;)
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #188
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:

I know I always like to think I have achieved more with less ;)
So it is not the size of the tool that matters then?
Old 20-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #189
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Welcome to the Forums Kraziman........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraziman

You think you are the majority?
Yes........the majority who own and not lease a B series and aren't willing to trade it for peanut $$$ return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraziman
You stick a S/C on a motor that was never designed for forced induction. Your choice. Yes , I know you can spend the money and do it properly but most don't and it costs a fortune.
S/C results on the BOSS motor speak for themselves.......this Forum is full of people that can give you 1st hand results and advice on different levels and $$$ involved. Like anything, you can spend as little or as much as you can afford.........what makes you think that the Factory version will be special enough that many punters will not modify it 10 mins after they drive it out of the dealer...........adding 1000's more to the purchase price.

Anyway...........I'm getting off topic..............and in all reality, I really hope it turns out to be a fantastic product and sells well for FPV. My point is that there are still fantastic options for us that will not trade up..........enough to keep us happy without wondering .........what if.........

Cheers

Last edited by Whitey-AMG; 20-06-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 20-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #190
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Why can't I give rep points again.
You need to give more out to ~15 other users before you can for the same user.

Quote:
Expect a GT that will fight against the clubsport and expect it to fight against a clubsport packing 327kws. That means comparable pricing and performance.

If they are the baselines for people's expectations I think they will be reasonably impressed and if they aren't, well God help FPV because clearly we can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP

I'm also wondering if the potential FPV S/C V8 owner will be satisfied in a product that merely matches the alternative offering from HSV.......a N/A clubsport. As HSE2 alluded to........it may be what FPV are aiming for......equal / similar performance. Don't know about you, but there's just something mentally and emotionally disappointing about a perceived premium S/C application being equalled by a N/A one ????

Methinks the HSV marketing machine will have a field day............ :
You misread/misunderstood Ian's post.
Old 20-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #191
Kraziman
BF GT Bionic

ESP. Just a bit of banter. Lucky we're all different or the forums would be a quiet place.

All the best mate. Hope your S/C GT rocks.
Old 20-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #192
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

There will be big demand for the FG with s/c 5.0L v8 from both FPV and HSV people. Most will think immediately, that this will be easy to get extra power out of once it's out of warranty. Some won't wait that long!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #193
DougM

I don't understand all the bagging of the Boss motor???? In SC form at least.......The 2005 ford GT(GT40) is still a weapon.... Look at the power of the gt500 stangs in the states?????? I'm not saying they're perfect but they're in some really awesome cars.......
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #194
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougM
I don't understand all the bagging of the Boss motor???? In SC form at least.......The 2005 ford GT(GT40) is still a weapon.... Look at the power of the gt500 stangs in the states?????? I'm not saying they're perfect but they're in some really awesome cars.......

No one is "bagging" S/C Boss motors, the problem is they will not comply with the new emission regs so therefore they have no future.

We are not here to bag out BOSS or 6T motors, we are here to talk about the new S/C V8.
Old 20-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #195
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Imagine the carbon footprint of a Supercharged V8.

DISGUSTING

The next V8 should have a Prius engine.

Na just kiddin. I want one.

Anyone know if 351KW is a possibility while maintaining factory standards?

PS IMO carbon footprint propaganda is complete rubbish propogated by left wing looney earth worshipping tree hugging profit hating servants of satan. Anyone noticed that big orange thing in the eastern morning sky? The earth has been warming since the end of the ice age when Fred Flintstone took his car to the bowling alley. And the sun came up. Well thats what I reckon anyway.

Now back to the Blown V8. Bring it on. I'll never buy another I6T

Last edited by Walt Kowalski; 20-06-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #196
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski
Imagine the carbon footprint of a Supercharged V8.

DISGUSTING

With the compliance to the new regs will require it to be less than the current BOSS motor, so not a problem.
Old 20-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #197
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

We well know, from the various miscues and missed opportunities of the past, that Tickford / FTE / FPV / (insert future name here), have built their business on doing just enough to keep us interested without actually doing anything that was truly exciting, innovative or desirable.

A little research will fairly quickly indicate the reasoning behind the sudden consideration of a forced induction option for the next generation V8 and (as usual) it has little to do with offerering anything of real substance to the enthusiast consumer but rather more to do with addressing the inadequacies of that engine in stock N/A form.

That isn't to suggest it won't have potential (it will) but in the form it appears ex factory I would be tipping an ultra conservative approach and a minor increase over the power figures currently available.

I'm not suggesting that to be a bad thing but simply something we should bear in mind before we become too excited at what will be delivered - particularly when the price / performance / reliability targets that FPV will need to achieve are considered.

It will still be good times ahead with the choices available to the pending FPV owner but whether these ever translate into HSV beaters (although in some minds they are now) will remain to be seen. What we should see is the curent status quo being maintained where the current offerings are both reasonable choices aimed at their specific demographic markets.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #198
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
We well know, from the various miscues and missed opportunities of the past, that Tickford / FTE / FPV / (insert future name here), have built their business on doing just enough to keep us interested without actually doing anything that was truly exciting, innovative or desirable.
Whilst I agree with the theme of your post Russ, I think you were a bit harsh here^^.

The 250KW T3 was exciting, the EL GT was innovative (some say ugglee), and the BA GT "when it landed" was very desirable. If you could lay critisism at FPV I would say its the "sticker kit" upgrades that have been somewhat disappointing.
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #199
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw

A little research will fairly quickly indicate the reasoning behind the sudden consideration of a forced induction option for the next generation V8 and (as usual) it has little to do with offerering anything of real substance to the enthusiast consumer but rather more to do with addressing the inadequacies of that engine in stock N/A form.

That isn't to suggest it won't have potential (it will) but in the form it appears ex factory I would be tipping an ultra conservative approach and a minor increase over the power figures currently available.

I'm not suggesting that to be a bad thing but simply something we should bear in mind before we become too excited at what will be delivered - particularly when the price / performance / reliability targets that FPV will need to achieve are considered.

It will still be good times ahead with the choices available to the pending FPV owner but whether these ever translate into HSV beaters (although in some minds they are now) will remain to be seen. What we should see is the curent status quo being maintained where the current offerings are both reasonable choices aimed at their specific demographic markets.

Cheers
Russ
Exactly............Amen..............Over and out !!
Old 21-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #200
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44
Whilst I agree with the theme of your post Russ, I think you were a bit harsh here^^.

The 250KW T3 was exciting, the EL GT was innovative (some say ugglee), and the BA GT "when it landed" was very desirable. If you could lay critisism at FPV I would say its the "sticker kit" upgrades that have been somewhat disappointing.
Notwithstanding that each of the examples given is polarising to some extent, I'd agree that they meet the criteria as individual models but that perhaps only emphasises the point because we should be able to get all of those things in one car - not three.

As enthusiasts we will never get what we actually want in the current market environment as there are as many permutations as there are individuals and perhaps it is unrealistic to expect that any one vehicle can meet all three of those expectations for any one person let alone for volumes of people. It is probably as much about meeting as many compromise positions as possible in order to ensure tha there are adequate sales volumes and leave the rest of the individualisation to the after market.

Anyway back to the actual topic at hand.....

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #201
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Surely FPV will not be able to resist the temptation to bring back both the Boss 351 and 351 GT badges back into circulation.

Would anyone believe them if the XR8 was 300 kw and the supercharged version was only 325 kw. No one would fall for that.

Also HSV's LS3 makes 325 kw in the Vette, its slightly detuned for HSV, and it will most likely jump up to 325 for the VF. FPV will want to beat that, and why would they not want to beat that easily?

It is likely the quoted figures will be under what the real figures are, but pegging those numbers to say 325 is just not believable when the XR8 version is supposed to make 300. Its more likely it will make 370+ but will be underquoted. Just look at the rwkw figures are for the F6, it makes well more than 315. I'd say for the next model the figures will probably increase without them actually doing much to it just because it makes more than todays 315 quoted figures. They should make it more than what HSV will have for the VF just so they can say every car they sell makes more power than HSV's do.

If its power and speed that sells give the customers what they want, don't chicken out on the chance to put the boot firmly down onto HSV's throat.

HSV have already gone to 370+ kw with the WD40, so the precedent has been set to achieve those power levels, not to mention what AMG, M and Audi's RS models have achieved.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #202
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Got some interesting vehicles for next weekend...Euro S/C V8's.. I guess I could call it 'benchmarking'.... ;)
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #203
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
Got some interesting vehicles for next weekend...Euro S/C V8's.. I guess I could call it 'benchmarking'.... ;)

We're all excited about this new v8 and to be benchmarking against europes best, 'I've just jizzed in my pants'. I'll be waiting to hear how the new coyote performs..

Will there be any panel changes in the update or will it just be engine due to the new regs?
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #204
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Meh.........

I would never trade in the BFGT for a monumental loss to trade up to something with 40Kw more and with styling that doesn't excite me. It just doesn't make economic sense for the majority of us.........and unless this thing is REALLY going to be a balanced genuine supercar ( which it wont )........then the rest of us plebs still have some fantastic options to keep our BOSSes at the very pointy end of the performance arena.

I'm already 1/2 way to saving the required $$$ for my own S/C instal that will provide me with the nappy changes I need everytime I push the button. The technology is out there now for most punters, and there is enough competition to ensure a high quality aftermarket product that is proven to work with the current BOSS motor and provide spectacular results with easy ROOM TO MOVE upwards..............

A S/C ( HARROP ) FPV will be great for possibly lowering the prices of aftermarket kits to more acceptable levels as the factory competition possibly takes it toll on the smaller suppliers.

More choice for everyone............we all win............

Exactly............I've made mention of this many times before on this thread and many others. Some of the exagerated expectations here remind me of the 351Kw expectations for the FG BOSS !
The new shed should be up by then to house another GT so don't stress ESP ill take you for a spin in the new SC GT when i get it. :
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #205
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
We're all excited about this new v8 and to be benchmarking against europes best, 'I've just jizzed in my pants'. I'll be waiting to hear how the new coyote performs..

Will there be any panel changes in the update or will it just be engine due to the new regs?
Flared guards would be nice.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #206
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya

Don't read too much into what I said, i was being a little mischievous

It's not actually a head to head benchmarking exercise at this point. It's more of a fun outing (AMG 55, and RS4), but I will try and take note of 'seat of the pants' experience, for when I do take on the new baby at some point (hopefully).
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #207
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Havn't opened it to read yet but it seems WHEELS mag has picked up on the "SCOOP" front cover blue FG GT, front view GT_HO badge on grill. Have to admit with just those 2 extra letters on grill makes we want one even more.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #208
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER
The new shed should be up by then to house another GT so don't stress ESP ill take you for a spin in the new SC GT when i get it. :
Hopefully by that time........I'll be able to take you for a spin in my S/C BFGT.
Old 22-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #209
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Hopefully by that time........I'll be able to take you for a spin in my S/C BFGT.
We need a new poll: 'Who would you rather go for a spin with?'
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #210
xbgt73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
We need a new poll: 'Who would you rather go for a spin with?'
I would prefer to go for a spin with the flintstones ... a couple of old cavies
xbgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post