Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #181
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: Ford to shed 240 local jobs, cut production as demand slumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Get rid of full timers and replace them with temps?
Well if its anything like 06 they will be lining up at the door to take the money and run.
Old 15-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #182
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
'Drive' journalists need a good punch in the face....
Please form an orderly queue behind me.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 15-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #183
FPV

We just need to give it time, the product release gap is what has caused this (in other words not delivering what people want), but as said previously, this is not the same case as Mitsubishi. The switch between making a decision on engines for Falcon and Territory was bound to have some impact, and right now FOA is suffering, but we are nearly through the worst of it.

Territory is out in a month, Falcon facelift in 3rd/4th quarter. There is not much that we can say and do now except wait for them to come online and if possible buy them. Put simply, this production drop is needed, they can't keep making cars at the same rate if they are just piling up in the car park and they are not the models people are holding out for.

Now previously it has been said Falcon's future will be decided this year, but to make a decision prior to the major releases would be a mistake. Lets hope the decision really has been delayed until next year as JPD80 has said, and lets hope they have a strong run in the second half of the year.
Old 15-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #184
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
“We are continuing to invest in the Falcon platform beyond the range of technology innovations and the refresh we are implementing in the next 12 months, demonstrating our on-going support for the large car segment in Australia.

“We are committed to the Ford brand and continuing to produce vehicles in Australia.”

Interesting. Spin for the media or...something else?
They are still planning future Falcon updates even after FGII on the current platform, so at least they haven't decided to just let it wither away until 2015. I would have thought they would have tried to keep basically the same car going until 2015, but they want another update after the next one.

Its lucky that Detroit are now making plenty of money cause it gives Ford some breathing space.
Old 15-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #185
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
They are still planning future Falcon updates even after FGII on the current platform, so at least they haven't decided to just let it wither away until 2015. I would have thought they would have tried to keep basically the same car going until 2015, but they want another update after the next one.

Its lucky that Detroit are now making plenty of money cause it gives Ford some breathing space.
That needs approval ...

Lets hope the numbers for that Freshening stack up ...
Old 15-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #186
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
How utterly bizzare.

A Mk II update this year and an MCE in what, late 2013? If they were shitcanning it, you would have to aks why bother?? As Barra says that MCE will require head office approval because of the capital that needs to be invested

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 15-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #187
robbo/region15

My first post here,hi.

Being in the Tier 1, Supplier to Ford ,GM,Toy,Niss & Mitsi since the mid 80's,one can look back over that period and say Whoa! What happened to our Australian supply base of components?

Cost reduction has diminished our workforces,supply from overseas vendors cant be justified or guaranteed for Quality.Yet when theres a problem ,off i trudge to Barry Rd to sort it out.

Australian component manufacturers are doing it tough,[whats left of us],Car companys want it cheaper!Alas ,Vendor from the asia region.

We once had a work force of 700/24-7.
Today there is a Dayshift of maybe 30..........
My point being that we as a country are best to give up the manufacturing of components,as we will never compete with cheaper labour sources overseas,Cost Reduction is all that matters to "Them"..
For the record i drive a Ford[EF],but i fear the future is not written,as we have followed Ford on this 4 day week since 2008,unlike there EBA,we use our Annual Leave to cover the down days,this next period is going to be tough on everyone concerned.
Just my [worried] thoughts.
Old 15-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #188
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
That needs approval ...

Lets hope the numbers for that Freshening stack up ...
Obviously, but at least they have planned for it and are determined to do it, but like everything Detroit has to approve it.

It would be a bad sign if they had of just decided to sit on their hands and do nothing.
Old 15-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #189
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:

That's because Falcon underpins the next Mustang. And the 2015 Falcon will probably become a 4-door Mustang. Wheel base is almost identical.

If 'One Ford' is anything to go buy... Mustang and Falcon can survive off one platform. And what they both do in R&D and PD testing will complement each other.

And yes. Local Ford products are being made warm by the light of Ford turning a profit. And a non too shabby profit at that.
Old 15-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #190
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
That's because Falcon underpins the next Mustang. And the 2015 Falcon will probably become a 4-door Mustang. Wheel base is almost identical.

If 'One Ford' is anything to go buy... Mustang and Falcon can survive off one platform. And what they both do in R&D and PD testing will complement each other.

And yes. Local Ford products are being made warm by the light of Ford turning a profit. And a non too shabby profit at that.
Nice try at being positive as always !

Mmmmmm....Lets see... THAT Platform, does it / or will it exist ??

I'm a betting a big no

Lets see ....
Old 15-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #191
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I concur.

Old 15-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #192
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

So which one of you work at Ford??

Lol.
Old 15-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #193
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT

Lol.

I don't, but I have VERY good contacts
Old 15-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #194
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

The writing may look like it's written on the wall, but it's not and FordNA have given FordAUS enough lead time before the big call.

Many future programs, including updated Falcon are being worked on, and let me tell you, this whole 'One Ford' thing, well it's not really, it's more like '4-5 Ford', but that doesn't roll off the tongue as well...

and in closing, which i've not seen anything mentioned about it here, the big boys have just left, they've been here sussing out the latest...mmmmmm
Old 15-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #195
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT

Lol.
What you talkin' 'bout Willis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
and in closing, which i've not seen anything mentioned about it here, the big boys have just left, they've been here sussing out the latest...mmmmmm
O rly. Do tell...

Old 15-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #196
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
You really shouldn't make those assumptions and try to pass them off as fact. Nothing has been decided yet.
Old 15-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #197
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
What you talkin' 'bout Willis?

O rly. Do tell...
well let's just hope we filled them to the rim with what ever tickles their fancy and they went back happy as larry.
Old 15-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #198
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
The writing may look like it's written on the wall, but it's not and FordNA have given FordAUS enough lead time before the big call.

Many future programs, including updated Falcon are being worked on, and let me tell you, this whole 'One Ford' thing, well it's not really, it's more like '4-5 Ford', but that doesn't roll off the tongue as well...

From what I hear,

Here lies the disconnect between Product Development and manufacturing.

ie: Disneyland and the real world.

Lets see what the real world reveals
Old 15-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #199
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
well let's just hope we filled them to the rim with what ever tickles their fancy and they went back happy as larry.
LOL. Fair enough.

Old 16-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #200
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
This has all changed very recently, public perception is now swinging heavily against Falcon
and I suspect that FoA are worried that a series II FG won't be enough to improve sales.
The fact that they are re balancing lower says that FoA has no confidence in new Territory
or EcoLPI to lift sales numbers, that being the case they won't be doing any further updates....
Old 16-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #201
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well the easiest way to judge would be if the local boys, after waving good bye at the private jet tarmac, turned and come home happy or sad....

All this would change if the honchos just let Ford Oz build a RHD version of a high-end large car for export...higher margins for a large car so less stress on currency fluctuations and small enough volume that it's not worth bothering the US plants but big enough volume to keep Australia up around 100,000 units per year. Either way, Ford have to kill the bad press NOW with some form of announcements otherwise the Mitsubishi saga will repeat at Campbellfield. I guess Terry release needs some clear air but they cannot wait much after this at all....

Last edited by Dr Smith; 16-04-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 16-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #202
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Hopefully someone put a Lincoln badge on the proposals too........

Are we talking just one vehicle or two?

Last edited by jpd80; 16-04-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 16-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #203
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Hopefully someone put a Lincoln badge on the proposals too........
Exactly.........and we get all the high tech in a local Falcon while the world gets it from us.....and maybe fwd, rwd, awd..I don't mind...
Old 16-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #204
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Exactly.........and we get all the high tech in a local Falcon while the world gets it from us.....and maybe fwd, rwd, awd..I don't mind...
We need to get rid of "old Gil" in marketing and put someone in their than can do stuff

* old Gil is the salesman from Simpsons...LINK
Old 16-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #205
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda
I'm not sure some flash-in-the-pan marketing program is going to change the situation here.

The large RWD Family car segment is now a small, boutique, market.

Holden aren't doing anything right by flooding the market with cars at below cost. That's a sure-fire way to put yourself out of business altogether.
Yes agree
Old 16-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #206
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Nice try at being positive as always !

Mmmmmm....Lets see... THAT Platform, does it / or will it exist ??

I'm a betting a big no

Lets see ....
At least I'm trying.

Quote:
I don't, but I have VERY good contacts
The janitor?

Quote:
You really shouldn't make those assumptions and try to pass them off as fact. Nothing has been decided yet.
Exactly. So how about all this doom and gloom, nay saying being peddled about be taken with the same grain of salt? Or I will just full on annoy everyone with my unfounded optimism.
Old 17-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #207
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
The janitor?

No a 'trying' rocket scientist that drives an ED Falcon .....
Old 17-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #208
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Going back to the original topic...

Am I missing something?

Am I right in thinking current production is set at 260 vehicles/day over a 3 day week. So 780/week.

After the change it will be 209/day but over a 5 day week. So 1045/week.

So production is actually increasing. Where is the problem (other than the obvious job losses)? Or am I totally off the mark?
Old 17-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #209
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Going back to the original topic...

Am I missing something?

Am I right in thinking current production is set at 260 vehicles/day over a 3 day week. So 780/week.

After the change it will be 209/day but over a 5 day week. So 1045/week.

So production is actually increasing. Where is the problem (other than the obvious job losses)? Or am I totally off the mark?
Its ramping up for 5 day/week production for new Territory stocks but will be returning to 3 days in June.

Old 17-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #210
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Its ramping up for 5 day/week production for new Territory stocks but will be returning to 3 days in June.

6 Non production (down) days in each of May, June, & July. Prior to downbalance which starts July 12.

This next week is all 'down' also.
Closed Thread