Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #181
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Default Re: Countdown to new LPG I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredByCNG
Haven't heard anything about transmissions issues either. The three reasons why Ford would want to cap the power output are:

1. To match the figures of the petrol engine.

2. To improve the fuel consumption of the LPG engine.

3. To allow for future detuning if/when required.

Also, there may be emissions and parts longevity constraints as well.
I think you may mean 'future retuning' not detuning.... This is pretty common on all engine power packs from all brands....gives you room to move and keep things fresh withouth increased expenditure.

The issue of reliability is also well put. I don't see the need (though ti would be cool) of putting a i6t kind of HP into what is primarily an 'eco' model (at least as percieved by the marketplace). Given that EB will not be available for another 6months or so after the LPI comes online, and the I6 plant will not lose any business by LPI substituting petrol I6, the way to go is to make it as frugal as possible. This way any shortfalls in I6 production with EB coming and diesel territory will be made up by increases in LPG engines.....

Given the amount of time ford has spent on this (in house delays or otherwise) there has been more than enough time to get the calibrations right. The info provided RE the level of engineering involved (bespoke pistons etc.) shows that as usual, despite horrid marketing ford can still engineer its vehicles very well indeed. Provided it has similar perf as the petrol version (which is hardly a problem) then make it as frugal as possible i say. Nothing fleets like more than lower burn, lower co2 figures. I think EB+ecoLPI will give falcon a very big boost in the fleet department versus camry et al.

I also agree ford needs to sell this tech properly if they are to get any sort of private buyer interest. With the new marketing guy at the helm and talk of new ad campaigns in the coming year i hope they can finally get a win in the marketplace as well as win in the tech wars.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #182
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

If all this talk of the LPI being detuned is correct I would like Ford to introduce it will a slight power advantage over the petrol, say 5kw. The reason being one of the myths now of LPG is that it robs power. If the LPI comes out with more power than that will help with the marketing and remove this stigma.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #183
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So who wants to guess on the option price...I'll start with say $3000.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #184
spvd02

$2500
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #185
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Still? They're both old boxes. I don't know why the 6HP26 isn't standard across the range.
Their both HP26's, but the turbo version has 2 extra clutches in the clutch packs, while the SC V8 version has another one on top of that for a total of 7.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #186
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
That's probably more down to engine mapping. But the 3.7 produces it's torque a full 1000 rpm less... and less of it. Which is less economic in a sense. But then the 3.7 has an aluminium block, so it's always at an optimum operating temperature.

Good engine none the less. But the 3.5 would probably become standard on the Falcon. A sad day indeed. And it could produce less power because they fit SS exhausts on US models.
Falcon was always to get the RWD 3.7, the first test group had VCT on the inlet but the second group were same spec as Mustang V6. Don't be thinking just because the torque peak is 1000 rpm higher that the bottom end suffers, the 6-speed auto more than makes up for the slight deficit in torque.

Quote:
EDIT: Have you checked out all the models on the Ford NA website.. let alone all the different engine configs? You really see who need the 'One Ford' treatment the most.
While that's true, Ford NA are coming to the end of their product rationalisation
the platform count is being severely reduced and while there seems to be a lot of vehicles,
there will only be around six car and SUV platforms, excluding F Truck and E-series Van.
That's a huge drop considering they had around 18 platforms three years ago.

Engines:
- 1.6 - Fiesta
- DI 2.0 and 2.0 EB
- 2.5 I-4 and 2.5 I-4 Atkinson ( not sure if DI 2.0 will replace these next year)
- D30 V6 (terminating in near future)
- D35/D37/EB35
- 5.0 V8
- 6.2 V8
- 6.7 V8 diesel

5.4 V8 and 6.8 V10 are continuing in E series for now but will cease next year
4.6 2V stays in panther and E-series van until November
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #187
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
So who wants to guess on the option price...I'll start with say $3000.
I agree that $3000 is be where the ballpark figure will be.
Old 26-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #188
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
5.4 V8 and 6.8 V10 are continuing in E series for now but will cease next year
4.6 2V stays in panther and E-series van until November
They've even got a 4.0L V6!?! .... But it's crap.

The 3.7 I think should be dropped. In favour of an increased displacement 3.5 with DI.

I also read that they're continuing with the V10 in the F5/6 series trucks as opposed to the 6.7L diesel... because it's more fuel efficient!?! From Autoblog I think.

Anyway. Ford NA.... they are/were a serious money bleed with all that diversity.
Old 26-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #189
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
The 3.7 I think should be dropped. In favour of an increased displacement 3.5 with DI.
The 3.7 is the 3.5 with increased displacement. They're from the same engine family just one has a larger bore.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #190
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
I think you may mean 'future retuning' not detuning.... This is pretty common on all engine power packs from all brands....gives you room to move and keep things fresh withouth increased expenditure.

The issue of reliability is also well put. I don't see the need (though ti would be cool) of putting a i6t kind of HP into what is primarily an 'eco' model (at least as percieved by the marketplace). Given that EB will not be available for another 6months or so after the LPI comes online, and the I6 plant will not lose any business by LPI substituting petrol I6, the way to go is to make it as frugal as possible. This way any shortfalls in I6 production with EB coming and diesel territory will be made up by increases in LPG engines.....

Given the amount of time ford has spent on this (in house delays or otherwise) there has been more than enough time to get the calibrations right. The info provided RE the level of engineering involved (bespoke pistons etc.) shows that as usual, despite horrid marketing ford can still engineer its vehicles very well indeed. Provided it has similar perf as the petrol version (which is hardly a problem) then make it as frugal as possible i say. Nothing fleets like more than lower burn, lower co2 figures. I think EB+ecoLPI will give falcon a very big boost in the fleet department versus camry et al.

I also agree ford needs to sell this tech properly if they are to get any sort of private buyer interest. With the new marketing guy at the helm and talk of new ad campaigns in the coming year i hope they can finally get a win in the marketplace as well as win in the tech wars.....
It doesn't make sense for Ford to continue investing, and releasing new products if they plan on canning the locally made RWD Falcon... and all the information they're gathering from it. LPi... Ford has nothing like it anywhere else. EcoBoost RWD. Ford has nothing like it anywhere else. Ford Australia really is important to the empire.... by the kind of unique research that can be conducted here.
Old 26-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #191
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
The 3.7 is the 3.5 with increased displacement. They're from the same engine family just one has a larger bore.
You're right. They're both from the cyclone engine family. But the 3.5 has DI. So whatever it takes to get the DI on the 3.7, with the least money spent.
Old 26-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #192
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
They've even got a 4.0L V6!?! .... But it's crap.
Discontinued, Cologne engines are stockpiled and expected to run out with end of Ranger.

Quote:
3.7 is a big bore version of the 3.5, it is a better mouse trap in NA form.
Ford is arguably achieving more with PFI than GM has with DI.

Quote:
I also read that they're continuing with the V10 in the F5/6 series trucks as opposed to the 6.7L diesel... because it's more fuel efficient!?! From Autoblog I think.
That is due to the amount of idling time, the diesel has to cycle its particle filters or something to maintain emission compliance but the word is that the 6.2 will replace the 6.8 at the next product cycle, a lot of the larger trucks don't sell in much volume compared to F150/F250 so there's little need to change things right away.
Pretty sure that 4.6/5.4/6.8 mods are all being supplied form forward built stock be fore change over to 5.0/6.2 engines in approx 12-18 months..

Quote:
Anyway. Ford NA.... they are/were a serious money bleed with all that diversity.
Not anymore,
Huge turnaround in North America, they are now making serious money in a depressed market...
Most of Ford's North American plants are running 2 or 3 shifts to keep up with demand,
the exceptions would be Ranger in Kansas, E-Series at Avon lake, and Mustang at Flat Rock
oh and Panther plant at Saint Thomas.
^^^^^^^ two of those plants are gone later this year.....
Old 26-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #193
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonders if a flash tuner #4 Will unlock capabilities of the new LPG engine? lol
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #194
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The developmental mule that I saw at Orbital in 2009 used the same ECU as the aftermarket Orbital LLI systems. This means that the production EcoLPI engines will most likely retain two ECUs (the original petrol ECU and the Vialle LPI ECU) and, because Vialle/Orbital password-protect their calibration software, flash tuning will likely yield poor results unless the LPG system is recalibrated to suit.
Old 26-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #195
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
3.7 is a big bore version of the 3.5, it is a better mouse trap in NA form. Ford is arguably achieving more with PFI than GM has with DI.
I'm getting confused with EcoBoost. The NA 3.5L is MPFI.

After all this talk over the V6's. I'd still like to see further improvements made to the I6... like a cast aluminium block.
Old 26-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #196
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You're right. They're both from the cyclone engine family. But the 3.5 has DI. So whatever it takes to get the DI on the 3.7, with the least money spent.
No, only the Ecoboost 3.5 V6 has Direct Injection, the Duratec 35/37 both have PFI.

Quote:
I'm getting confused with EcoBoost. The NA 3.5L is MPFI.

After all this talk over the V6's. I'd still like to see further improvements made to the I6... like a cast aluminium block.
Good plan but too late.....

Oh well.....

Last edited by jpd80; 26-03-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 26-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #197
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Good plan but too late.....

Oh well.....
Just like it was too late in 2008? Lol, speculators are amusing.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #198
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

IF the FG carries through to 1015, I'd like to think the 'ol I6 still has a few tricks up its sleeve. Sans alloy block.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 26-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #199
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back OT now, please!
Old 27-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #200
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Just like it was too late in 2008?
It nearly was, here's a trinket for you:
Without someone reviewing the I-6 on the emission software
package intended for T6 Ranger, the I-6 would have been history...

Quote:
Lol, speculators are amusing.
I'm not the one speculating about an expensive alloy block.......
Old 27-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #201
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Back OT now, please!
Yes. Talk of LPi makes me salivate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Their both HP26's, but the turbo version has 2 extra clutches in the clutch packs, while the SC V8 version has another one on top of that for a total of 7.
So they have three different configs? So theoretically they could bring us a balls and all LPi sporty version.... but it would put the petrol to shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
IF the FG carries through to 1015, I'd like to think the 'ol I6 still has a few tricks up its sleeve. Sans alloy block.
1015! The Falcon was a just a bird then. But by 2015. FoA would have/ should have done something to keep the I6 spicy. They have another emissions regulation to meet before Falcon is up. But then they could land the V6 on us.
Old 27-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #202
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The developmental mule that I saw at Orbital in 2009 used the same ECU as the aftermarket Orbital LLI systems. This means that the production EcoLPI engines will most likely retain two ECUs (the original petrol ECU and the Vialle LPI ECU) and, because Vialle/Orbital password-protect their calibration software, flash tuning will likely yield poor results unless the LPG system is recalibrated to suit.
I can see why they retain two ECUs, the FG uses its CPU as controller for more than engine management...
like body ECU , ABS brakes, DSC ect... In LPG, the Vialle is the engine management ECU which is governed by the Ford ECU since it also controls all the other ECUs in the car as well.

The trick will be getting the password unlocked, might need to get the Gen Y and Z code crackers onto that,,,,
Old 27-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #203
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
I can see why they retain two ECUs, the FG uses its CPU as controller for more than engine management...
like body ECU , ABS brakes, DSC ect... In LPG, the Vialle is the engine management ECU which is governed by the Ford ECU since it also controls all the other ECUs in the car as well.

The trick will be getting the password unlocked, might need to get the Gen Y and Z code crackers onto that,,,,
Maybe PowerByCNG can just drive over to the Orbital factory and ask if they will tune it for him?
Old 27-03-2011, 02:08 AM   #204
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I have half of the puzzle. I have the Vialle LPI software on my computer, but I don't have access to the calibration features. How annoying...
Old 27-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #205
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well I have half of the puzzle. I have the Vialle LPI software on my computer, but I don't have access to the calibration features. How annoying...
Is that a calibration software an in-house only program or available at extreme cost?
OEM and early adopters tend to jealously guard anything to do with controlling software..
Old 27-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #206
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is that a calibration software an in-house only program or available at extreme cost?
OEM and early adopters tend to jealously guard anything to do with controlling software..
I obtained it from the owner of a Vialle LPI system in the Netherlands where the system originates from. Local installers also have access to the exact same software.
Old 27-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #207
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I obtained it from the owner of a Vialle LPI system in the Netherlands where the system originates from. Local installers also have access to the exact same software.
Hmm, I recall that Ford Netherlands released LPG versions of Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo,
I wonder if they use a similar system to that coming on the Falcon...
Old 27-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #208
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Yes. Talk of LPi makes me salivate.
So they have three different configs? So theoretically they could bring us a balls and all LPi sporty version.... but it would put the petrol to shame.
1015! The Falcon was a just a bird then. But by 2015. FoA would have/ should have done something to keep the I6 spicy. They have another emissions regulation to meet before Falcon is up. But then they could land the V6 on us.
Its the rear end that becomes the weak link in a high power LPi setup as it runs the standard NA 6 version, not the heavier duty turbo/V8 version, which is more expensive, and won't be used to keep the costs of the LPG option down. Durability will be fine for the lower power tune they have chosen.

There is no current date for the Euro 5 emissions start date, the government is still debating it.

I don't think the I6 will get anything new after FG2, it will more than likely carry through to 2015/16 as it is. They won't spend money on a dead duck when the production figures are getting so low. 190 a day is chicken feed, it was like 480 a day during BA, thats a massive drop and has more than likely sealed its fate as those numbers aren't viable long term.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #209
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
I don't think the I6 will get anything new after FG2, it will more than likely carry through to 2015/16 as it is. They won't spend money on a dead duck when the production figures are getting so low. 190 a day is chicken feed, it was like 480 a day during BA, thats a massive drop and has more than likely sealed its fate as those numbers aren't viable long term.
In fairness to that "dead duck", they still made improvements to the I6 even after the engine plant closure was announced, unless those improvements were already approved and in the product plan. So there may be some further improvements and refinements ahead, but I don't think it will be anything substantial.

And realistically, short of going to an alloy block and direct injection, what more can they do to an engine that is basically at the top of its game?

Old 27-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #210
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
They won't spend money on a dead duck when the production figures are getting so low.
I guess that's why they hand-built the last of the old V8s in the AUIII? It was too a dead duck.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)