Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #181
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz
Well times change Rod, you should realise that by now. If traditions have to change for the game to stay alive, so be it, I say.
I remember when hawkeye was introduced into tennis. Sometimes it would 'beep' when the players hadn't even served.
Critics like you said it was no good and would never take the place of human linesman. Times change, Rod, and now tennis has a referral system in place, accepted by all.
You have a unique way of basically ignoring everything I say and just make it up as you go along.

Critics like me?! How many times have I said that I would be happy to see technology used when it's up to the job in that it produces accurate results quickly. At the moment, I don't believe it is at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz
Can you explain that one?? I can't see the difference. Just cause you have worded it different, doesn't change its meaning.
I mean, seriously...

Virtually all close run-out decisions are referred is an observation which has no opinion attached to it whatsoever.

Virtually all IBM PC's run Windows. Does that mean I think there are too many Windows PC's? No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz
A concern for who?? You? In the Windies/ Nz game ( that you watched) I didn't think it took to long for the decisions at all. Some of the referred run-outs we see can take ages as well, if they're close.
Not a dozen, Rod, 6. 3 from each side per innings. I thought you said you watched these games : :
LOL!

Firstly, point out anywhere that I stated I watched that game.

Secondly, the concerns were coming from the two captains PLAYING in that match!

Thirdly, upheld challenges aren't counted. Could be many more than 3 each side/innings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz
I listened to Bill Lawry, Warnie and Heals talking with Mark Nichols about over rate during a break in the test last year.
They all agreed that something had to be done by Ponting to 'up' his teams over rates.
From the games I watched that had the appeals system in use, there was barely anymore of a hold up than usual. If a small amount of time is all thats sacrificed to get the correct decision, surely you can see the value in that.
Again?! Geez.

I stated that I think an appeals system would be a reasonable comprimise to cut down on the time it would take to refer every marginal decision to a 3rd umpire!!

I can see value in it if the correct decision is made! In one of the links I provided, McCullum was given out, it was challenged and the challenge overturned for a caught behind decision yet it was later confirmed that the batsmen never got any bat on it.

IMO, umpiring standards have declined. Could be for a number of reasons but the focus should be on trying to correct the problem not try and prop it up with technology which isn't at an acceptable standard either.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #182
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
You have a unique way of basically ignoring everything I say and just make it up as you go along.
Its a good thing to ignore you. I'm going to try harder in future

Quote:
Critics like me?! How many times have I said that I would be happy to see technology used when it's up to the job in that it produces accurate results quickly. At the moment, I don't believe it is at that point.
You are a critic of this technology. You say its not good enough. That what a critic is.
As you know, cricket will always have very hard to make decisions. Like me, you were a keeper and I'm sure you've seen your fair share of controversial decisions that could go either way.
Unless everyone who plays the game does so 100% honestly, and by that I mean they walk when they nick it, admit they hit the wicket first and don't appealed when they know the batsman hit it on a LBW, the umpires need help.
So,If that help is not 100% correct and faster than a speeding bullet, your saying its not good enough!
GEEZ!! What does it take?

Quote:
Virtually all close run-out decisions are referred is an observation which has no opinion attached to it whatsoever.
Your statement, your opinion. Just because I worded it as too often, instead of virtually all, doesn't make its meaning different.

Quote:
Firstly, point out anywhere that I stated I watched that game.
Bottom of your post #178, after I asked you if you had watched any of these games where this new technology was used:

Quote:
Yes I have, cuz. Many of them.
Quote:
I can see value in it if the correct decision is made! In one of the links I provided, McCullum was given out, it was challenged and the challenge overturned for a caught behind decision yet it was later confirmed that the batsmen never got any bat on it.
I was watching that game (something you should try). While it may have been a wrong decision, it still in its infancy and IMHO is still alot better that the umpiring standards we are seeing out there ATM

Quote:
IMO, umpiring standards have declined. Could be for a number of reasons but the focus should be on trying to correct the problem not try and prop it up with technology which isn't at an acceptable standard either.
While I have to agree with you ( Damn that hurts!) that the umpiring standards are pretty shocking ATM, I think that using all availalbe technology to help the umpires out is a good thing.
So what if its not 100% correct, like you Rod, all the time. Its still alot better that the umpiring we are stuck with.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #183
XR8putts

Seriously guys, take it to Private Mesaging..

NZ deserve to lose this game, and it really hurts me to say it.

Haddin, the one replay they showed of him keeping near the stumps, it was a no ball. Hands infront of the stumps again. The guy should be penalaized, heavily. It is beyond a joke, I've been watching cricket for many years and no other keeper has done it this often. Even the commentry team has been commenting its a no-ball. And they've only shown one side-on.

The guy has learnt nothing from that game where he cheated, he his back to his usual BS.

I'd love to see you guys defend him now.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #184
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very moving to see Peter Siddle and Heals walking the crowd with a bucket for donations to the Vic bushfires. People just continually dropping $$$ in there.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #185
XR8putts

They've raised over $4 Million today alone, not too bad for a game of cricket!

Bravo Commmonwealth Bank, Adidas, Johnson & Johnson and all the others I can't remember now. It will be great to see most of Aussie the team out there in the second innings running around with a bucket.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #186
prydey
Rob

didn't see much of haddin's glovework. couldn't see from where i was standing under the old scoreboard in front of the bar.

good game and good result for the aussies. never really looked troubled the whole chase. nz were a good 30 runs short at least i reckon.

should be a good game at the gabba. aussies look much more settled in their batting order.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #187
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

The problem with cameras...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZTyI1jodX8
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #188
prydey
Rob

if there is going to be any cricket tonight in the deciding match it looks like it will only be 20 overs or so. would be a shame to see it decided by a T20 game. schedule is too tight to postpone it. series ends in draw. probably fitting in the end.
Old 13-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #189
XR8putts

They should make the T20 on Sunday the ODI Series decider.

I mean who wants to end with T20?! T20 Games should open a series or ODI series (like the SA tour) because they're fun and lighthearted. When NZ come back home, they'll be opening the tour with a T20, followed by ODIs and tests.

Bloody Brisbane weather.
Old 13-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #190
prydey
Rob

play has started. 22 overs a side. NZ win the toss and sent us in. they sure like to chase. they are making the most of it at the moment. 3/30(6 overs) hopes, ponting and d.hussey back in the shed already. m.hussey is in good touch. hopefully he can guide us to about 150ish
Old 13-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #191
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The problem with cameras...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZTyI1jodX8
No problem there schmuck.
One camera showed a catch, the other showed it bounced.
Easy enough for the 3rd umpire to decide on that, maybe even you could see thats out.
Old 13-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #192
XR8putts

Great. ****ing Australian weather!

NZ were coasting to series victory :(
Old 13-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #193
prydey
Rob

yeah, i got a worn patch on the rug now i was doing the rain dance that hard.

phew! is all i can say. we were toast. guptil was brilliant. our ferguson has shown he is a future star too.

we'll have to do better sunday.
Old 13-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #194
XR8putts

Who gives a crap about Sunday, honestly?

T20 is a bit of fun.. this was an ODI series decider and NZ were 5 minutes from victory! Australian Cricket will be mighty relieved..

:(
Old 13-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #195
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yeah i've gotta say as an australian supporter i'm pretty disappointed to see us win in that fashion. NZ looked to have it in the bag barring a few quick wickets, and the rain just kicked in at the wrong time. Ironic really, while victoria ist still burning like crazy, qld is being continually drenched.

a 22/20 over match REALLY wasn't the way to decide this. They should have refunded tickets and rescheduled.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 12:17 AM   #196
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

it was nice to finally get saved at the gabba through rain. we have had the upper hand in a few tests only to draw because of rain
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 12:27 AM   #197
BZINGA