Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #181
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: FG2 FPV's

I dont get all this talk over the suspension, chassis etc.

The only debatable issue at the moment is rear tyre width, thats it, and its most likely going to be sorted very soon.

They need to work on reliability and fine tuning (diff bush issue for example). When you look at it:

Engine: Done, will only need tweeks to ECU for the next 4 years

Trans: ZF is awesome, same with Ford spec 6SPA, Tremec is really as good as it gets for the money

Suspension: whats wrong with it again? Oh thats right it took Holdens billion dollar baby to catch up

To me its the finer details of the FPV package that need work and it sounds like its going to be addressed soon anyway.

Exterior is open to debate, its not objective so we will leave that alone. I will say that any mods to move it from the Falcon (ala HSV tail light solution) is a good move but again there is nothing inherently wrong with the "look" of the cars now.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #182
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

My prediction for FG2 FPV's is that there will only be minor adjustment/refinement (if any) suspension wise from factory and we won't see the beefed up suspension or wide rear wheels as shown on the concept car. Although some or all of this stuff will likely be offered aftermarket by Prodrive.

Anything of this nature from factory would surely be saved for the GT-HO. HO does stand for "handling options" after all...

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
dawsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #183
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I dont get all this talk over the suspension, chassis etc.

The only debatable issue at the moment is rear tyre width, thats it, and its most likely going to be sorted very soon.

They need to work on reliability and fine tuning (diff bush issue for example). When you look at it:

Engine: Done, will only need tweeks to ECU for the next 4 years

Trans: ZF is awesome, same with Ford spec 6SPA, Tremec is really as good as it gets for the money

Suspension: whats wrong with it again? Oh thats right it took Holdens billion dollar baby to catch up

To me its the finer details of the FPV package that need work and it sounds like its going to be addressed soon anyway.

Exterior is open to debate, its not objective so we will leave that alone. I will say that any mods to move it from the Falcon (ala HSV tail light solution) is a good move but again there is nothing inherently wrong with the "look" of the cars now.
Vertually spot on, all it need's is some fine tunning now to make an allready awesome vehicle even better.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #184
cartaa100
FG POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbag
Just chucking my opinion in here as a person who has never owned a ford or a holden but looking at a GS ute currently....

I honestly don't know how the current FPV's pass ADR's with those **** poor attempts of brakes. I've seen $2000 ford lasers with bigger discs than these 2 tonne beasts with australias most powerful engine. Combined with a overly street orientated pad that can see fade from a spirited drive only, it's a death trap waiting for some poor fool.

Suspension wise it's got everything most people need/ want. Leaf springs are rather outdated but for the job of load carrying, do the required job well. If I wanted a car fo the racetrack, I'd keep my current wrx. Almost everyone I've known to buy performance cars never see the track except for maybe a skid pan or sometimes one or two private days. For the most part, decent suspension is wasted anyway with the drivers being the weakest link.

Regardless, I will be buying my ute. The first thing I will be doing though is whacking on a set of 6 pots and some decent pads. I'm buying the car for the pure muscle. Not the handling or the badge. For the price that would be required to get the complete package, I'd stick to my jap crap. Both fords and holdens are way overpriced as they are. The only reason they have stayed in buisness is because of the taxes applied to all imports.

aussie cars have luxury car tax aswell, i admit there not as taxed as imports but there not just given away tax free. far from it.

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332753  
cartaa100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #185
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
I honestly don't know how the current FPV's pass ADR's with those **** poor attempts of brakes. I've seen $2000 ford lasers with bigger discs than these 2 tonne beasts with australias most powerful engine. Combined with a overly street orientated pad that can see fade from a spirited drive only, it's a death trap waiting for some poor fool.
GS doesnt weigh much more than an XT. Australias maximum speed limit is what 110km/h? All it has to do is stop the car from that speed. Engine power makes no difference as speed limits are the same for all cars. Its only an issue if you're taking it to a track and if you do that then its your own problem not FPVs.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #186
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
Depends on what you are using your FPV for
For my use, I definitely wouldnt want a firmer suspension
Its a everyday used car

I may be wrong, but I would think that more than 70% of people that buy a FPV would have the same attitude

Please note this is my opinion only
I reckon your spot on TS50.

The vast majority of FPV/HSV go into service as daily drivers. They may be well maintained as a daily, but very few see duty as garage queens, at least for the 1st few years. So some degree of suspension compliance is required as the see duty with the family or as an executive express.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #187
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
Why is it that the people who actually own a FG FPV are the ones who are most happiest with the suspension tune... Food for thought..?
I'm not.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #188
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

I'd agree that the majority would be happy with what they have, especially if it's just for the odd squirt and a few corners. I wasn't and now have a setup that is if anything more compliant around town, but has helped with power down no end. I tried going to a wider tyre and while it helped a little, the biggest by far improvement was getting the suspension setup to suit both power down and handling.

You can have your cake and eat it too, just not from FPV, and fair enough, as I know I'd be in the small minority of FPV buyers that actually want this, which is why they will more than likely not go through the cost of doing so.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #189
Jamie-b

I think FPV needs a coupe option to differentiate between ford and FPV,
Jamie-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #190
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
GS doesnt weigh much more than an XT. Australias maximum speed limit is what 110km/h? All it has to do is stop the car from that speed.
you only drive on freeways? you only stop hard once in a while?

some people buy SPORTS sedans to have the option of a spirited drive, which typically involves more than just one or two corners and more than just the occasional hard stop.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #191
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
you only drive on freeways? you only stop hard once in a while?

some people buy SPORTS sedans to have the option of a spirited drive, which typically involves more than just one or two corners and more than just the occasional hard stop.
My whole point is the car is made for the street and the brakes that it has on it would be sufficient considering you cant drive any quicker just because you have more power.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #192
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Just chucking my opinion in here as a person who has never owned a ford or a holden but looking at a GS ute currently....

Suspension wise it's got everything most people need/ want. Leaf springs are rather outdated but for the job of load carrying, do the required job well. If I wanted a car fo the racetrack, I'd keep my current wrx. Almost everyone I've known to buy performance cars never see the track except for maybe a skid pan or sometimes one or two private days. For the most part, decent suspension is wasted anyway with the drivers being the weakest link.

Regardless, I will be buying my ute. The first thing I will be doing though is whacking on a set of 6 pots and some decent pads. I'm buying the car for the pure muscle. Not the handling or the badge. For the price that would be required to get the complete package, I'd stick to my jap crap. Both fords and holdens are way overpriced as they are. The only reason they have stayed in buisness is because of the taxes applied to all imports.

it's fine to whack on better brakes . but if your going to drive it on the road , you'd be paying for red paint on the callipers . ALL FPV'S come with PERFORMANCE heavy duty brakes as standard . they will pull up well , if the fg GS has the same brakes as a standard XT . then i might agree with you . but then again , i'm sure it would pull up well . however they have bigger brakes than FG XT YEAH ? ADR complient for perfomance and weight perhaps ????
if your going to the track get the better brakes for sure . but cars arent designed for race tracks . and are perfectly safe on the road . and FPV'S are better than standard .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #193
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
it's fine to whack on better brakes . but if your going to drive it on the road , you'd be paying for red paint on the callipers . ALL FPV'S come with PERFORMANCE heavy duty brakes as standard . they will pull up well , if the fg GS has the same brakes as a standard XT . then i might agree with you . but then again , i'm sure it would pull up well . however they have bigger brakes than FG XT YEAH ? ADR complient for perfomance and weight perhaps ????
if your going to the track get the better brakes for sure . but cars arent designed for race tracks . and are perfectly safe on the road . and FPV'S are better than standard .
The GS gets the same brakes as the XR6T.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #194
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe you can`t have your cake and eat it all at once, i`m sure the bean counters have something to say about it, but every year the cars get better , quality trans, 40 million dollar quality engine, better interiors, more safety gadgets, rome was`nt built in a day and we have just been through a downturn and heading into another one possibly.
is it just me or does it sound like a big ask to want it all at once when we know the accountant`s have a tight rain on the $$$$$ ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #195
G6E TURBO 270KW

fg2 fpv wont have any changes beside touch screen,reverse camera and sat nav standard . No new wheels no new bumpers no new strips poor effort by fpv.
G6E TURBO 270KW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 02:31 AM   #196
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:

Welcome to AFF.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 03:01 AM   #197
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E TURBO 270KW
fg2 fpv wont have any changes beside touch screen,reverse camera and sat nav standard . No new wheels no new bumpers no new strips poor effort by fpv.
I agree with the changes you mention above that will come with FG2. However it sounds to me like you haven't driven an FG FPV with the new S/C motor. I suggest you do and then tell me you still think it's a poor effort by FPV. This engine update alone is more than sufficient to take the FG to the end of it's run in my opinion.

With FGII, there might be a new wheel design, but most likely not the wider rears. There could also be a new stripe package along the lines of the black edition. You never know.

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
dawsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #198
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well there website is being updated soon, there ?I guess there will some sort of change.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #199
meatbag

When are these FG2's due for release? N00b question. never really followed fords before.

I think a few options like the touch screen, reverse camera and sat nav while sound poor, will actually help bring them up to scratch. Even holdens SS come with these as standard. FPV's only real advantage is the engine. Which going by what most Aussies first look at, is a pretty awesome headstart. A few refinements though will put it in a very strong position.

I still think the brakes need a good look at. While the GT, GT-P and GT-E come with a reasonable package, the GS is left sadly far behind.
meatbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #200
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
When are these FG2's due for release? N00b question. never really followed fords before.

I think a few options like the touch screen, reverse camera and sat nav while sound poor, will actually help bring them up to scratch. Even holdens SS come with these as standard. FPV's only real advantage is the engine. Which going by what most Aussies first look at, is a pretty awesome headstart. A few refinements though will put it in a very strong position.

I still think the brakes need a good look at. While the GT, GT-P and GT-E come with a reasonable package, the GS is left sadly far behind.
some of us see pbr cheaper brakes as the best thing ever . i was so glad when the BA MKII GT came out with pbrs , and the brembos as a $5k option . then when the BF came out with brembos as standard , i was even happier i bought the BA MKII.without the option of brembos , and saved 5k upfront , and about 2k since on replacement parts . and the car stops very very well thankyou , i dont need to have red brakes to get a boner , a 10 buck magazine can do that . i wont own a car with $1000 worth of brakes on each corner thanks . the red paint simply wont pull me up any better at the school or traffic lights /shopping centre , work driveway,home driveway , or in a sudden stop than my pbr heavy duty ADR approved V8 performance brakes thanks .
Old 06-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #201
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
some of us see pbr cheaper brakes as the best thing ever . i was so glad when the BA MKII GT came out with pbrs , and the brembos as a $5k option . then when the BF came out with brembos as standard , i was even happier i bought the BA MKII.without the option of brembos , and saved 5k upfront , and about 2k since on replacement parts . and the car stops very very well thankyou , i dont need to have red brakes to get a boner , a 10 buck magazine can do that . i wont own a car with $1000 worth of brakes on each corner thanks . the red paint simply wont pull me up any better at the school or traffic lights /shopping centre , work driveway,home driveway , or in a sudden stop than my pbr heavy duty ADR approved V8 performance brakes thanks .
For all intents and purposes they certainly do the job very well, and replacement pads are a lot cheaper too.

As meatbag said, if people want to they can upgrade themselves. Stuff like suspension and brakes wouldn't void warranty would they? The biggest criticism of the GS is lack of content but had FPV included the brakes and other standard extras in the GS it's price would have crept over the LCT, so going aftermarket on items you can fit (that don't void warranty) would work out cheaper, plus you're fitting your choice of item.

Same with the suspension, it does the job perfectly as a road car and grand tourer - I've noticed no one here has praised their local roads as being billiard-table smooth yet, on the contrary actually - but if certain owners, and I would guess they're the minority, want to track their FPV then the aftermarket is a good place to start. You've paid $55-$90k on a brand new vehicle that you're willing to void your warranty on so a few extra G shouldn't be of any concern.

Then you have people that read how Wheels and Motor criticise the suspension and to these readers the perception of the cars dynamics is that it handles like a "boat", and that's hardly fair when Ford tune the handling to allow for second-rate roads.

Anyway, in a year's time we'll see what FPV do with mk2. It's a long wait.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #202
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
For all intents and purposes they certainly do the job very well, and replacement pads are a lot cheaper too.

As meatbag said, if people want to they can upgrade themselves. Stuff like suspension and brakes wouldn't void warranty would they? The biggest criticism of the GS is lack of content but had FPV included the brakes and other standard extras in the GS it's price would have crept over the LCT, so going aftermarket on items you can fit (that don't void warranty) would work out cheaper, plus you're fitting your choice of item.

Same with the suspension, it does the job perfectly as a road car and grand tourer - I've noticed no one here has praised their local roads as being billiard-table smooth yet, on the contrary actually - but if certain owners, and I would guess they're the minority, want to track their FPV then the aftermarket is a good place to start. You've paid $55-$90k on a brand new vehicle that you're willing to void your warranty on so a few extra G shouldn't be of any concern.

Then you have people that read how Wheels and Motor criticise the suspension and to these readers the perception of the cars dynamics is that it handles like a "boat", and that's hardly fair when Ford tune the handling to allow for second-rate roads.

Anyway, in a year's time we'll see what FPV do with mk2. It's a long wait.

YEP couldn't agree more . i think a lot of it is media related . i prefer to see some things as options rather than standard . some people want the full works and kit off the floor though , and that will just limit sales in my opinion . i think FPV have it right , i would prefer brembos only to be standard on GT-P though . but understand performance wants entirely .
Old 06-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #203
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally one Member who actually understands what a performance car is about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
I'd agree that the majority would be happy with what they have, especially if it's just for the odd squirt and a few corners. I wasn't and now have a setup that is if anything more compliant around town, but has helped with power down no end. I tried going to a wider tyre and while it helped a little, the biggest by far improvement was getting the suspension setup to suit both power down and handling.

You can have your cake and eat it too, just not from FPV, and fair enough, as I know I'd be in the small minority of FPV buyers that actually want this, which is why they will more than likely not go through the cost of doing so.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #204
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
Why is it that the people who actually own a FG FPV are the ones who are most happiest with the suspension tune... Food for thought..?
Because they know these cars are road-cars & grand-tourers for 99% of the time?

Forgetting all that for a second, if we look at circuit times, done back to back, an auto 335 beat a manual GTS even though said GTS had the massive W427 brakes and "Ferrari's" MRC. I can't explain it, it goes against everything I've learnt on the internet.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:11 AM   #205
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
if the 2013 FH will be the last ever aussie made falcon, i hope they spend every dollar they have and make it go out with a bang, i know it probably wont happen but id love a tuned from factory gt-ho 415kw (bmw m5 territory) wide wheels and an advanced traction system that puts the power down.

or maybe even a v8 coupe like the green gs coupe in one of the threads here, i know it wont happen but i just hope it goes out with a bang!
I have posted this quote for the simple reason that I see this as FPV's biggest problem. So many people want M5 performance and specs for a BMW 320 price, I feel sorry for the poor buggers.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #206
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I have posted this quote for the simple reason that I see this as FPV's biggest problem. So many people want M5 performance and specs for a BMW 320 price, I feel sorry for the poor buggers.
I agree, thankfully school holidays are nearly over.
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #207
Rodge
Banned

Going back to BF2 seats with special firm seat bolsters would be a really good move for FG2...go on FPV, you've done it before you have the ability to provide proper sports seats just stop being such tight ****'s with your cost cutting.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #208
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I will be very disappointed to see that after a ~12 month wait (after FG2 Falcon) that the changes to FG2 FPV are limited to the 8" touch screen, sat nav and reverse camera! This makes no sense what so ever.

For the donor car to receive projector head lights, facia changes and other cosmetic changes, I fail to see how the FPV product can go for another 12 months without some form of update. The least you could expect would be the projectors as there is no requirement for testing, ADR etc.

If it's true and FG2 FPV's do not get any of the Donor car treatments, then it points out that they should be getting something different to the donor.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #209
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
I will be very disappointed to see that after a ~12 month wait (after FG2 Falcon) that the changes to FG2 FPV are limited to the 8" touch screen, sat nav and reverse camera! This makes no sense what so ever.

For the donor car to receive projector head lights, facia changes and other cosmetic changes, I fail to see how the FPV product can go for another 12 months without some form of update. The least you could expect would be the projectors as there is no requirement for testing, ADR etc.

If it's true and FG2 FPV's do not get any of the Donor car treatments, then it points out that they should be getting something different to the donor.

Its not true.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #210
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

Refer back to my FPV 30 topic here , maybe what my mate saw had something to do with the FPV FG2 .....??
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11341878