Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #2341
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I get asked for id all the time and I'm 29...... I just take it as a compliment...
Ha. Same here, 29 and asked for ID buying a small bottle of Brandy for the Christmas pudding!

I said "really?, but thankyou"
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #2342
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
Wish I still got asked for my ID........

Poppa! where have you been?!

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #2343
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
Poppa! where have you been?!
me and a few old mates took a quick trip in our beat up 4by's and camper trailers.

up the centre to Alice, across the Tanami (I did a couple of shock absorbers on that one) on to the Gibb river road, nipped into Broome then on to Darwin, back through outback Qld ( water everywhere) for a short bit then down through Birdsville and home.

got a bit wet on occasion, had a few bad bogs and wet nights, lost a bit of gear in a rollover (not me) but all up we had a ball.

we will do this one again next year with the same mob......fantastic stuff.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!

Last edited by poppa smurf; 08-03-2016 at 11:12 AM.
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #2344
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted8 View Post
Cashiers that ask for ID when it's painfully obvious you're over 18.

I'm 23 and I definitely look like I'm in my twenties - I simply do not look 18 or younger. I get that it's their job to ask for ID if people look under 25 but I also think it's a bit silly to refuse a repeat customer. "Oh, you don't have your ID on you today, no service for you."

Ironically the lad that asked for my ID didn't even look 18 himself

It wouldn't bother me except the way he treated me like I was trying to pull one over on him. "Yeah, you caught me out champ. This is the big grift - I go around to different bottle shops and spend hundreds of dollars trying to trick the cashiers into serving me."

(Don't worry, I'm not drinking on a Monday arvo - it happened Friday.)
Having worked in liquor retail, it's not worth the risk. The chances of you being busted are so low but the fines for the person behind the counter plus the loss of job on top of that make it extremely easy to say no when someone doesn't have their ID.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #2345
Boosted8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
Having worked in liquor retail, it's not worth the risk. The chances of you being busted are so low but the fines for the person behind the counter plus the loss of job on top of that make it extremely easy to say no when someone doesn't have their ID.
I understand that. I used to be one of the guys behind the counter too. I even said that I get it's their job in my OP... but really I don't get why anyone would even bother to ask a repeat customer for ID?

The part that annoyed me was the way he glared at me as if I was trying to get one over on him. I won't be going back after that.
Boosted8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #2346
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Almost got me a gopher today, I drive past the "Ford. Hyundai, Kia" sales yard everyday so, naturally as I pass, I glance at the vehicles.

I noticed that they had placed the brand new, bright red mustang (same one I seen the other day out front) in amongst the second hand vehicles.

I was pondering and glancing on this vision, when I returned my observations to the road, he was RIGHT there lining up the blue oval badge on my grill, an old bloke on a gopher, puddling down the centre of the road, my vision temporarily blocked by a ute in front who WAS paying attention.

as I veered left to go around him I told him to use the bloody bike path that was 20 feet to his left, all I got was a mouthful of abuse, very tempted to dob him in to Mr plod.

had one the other day going turning right on the roundabout, I counted 10 cars giving way to the same bloke......matter of time, he's gonna go.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #2347
Boosted8
Banned

Left my PC on while I went to tafe yesterday. While I was there Microsoft saw fit to "auto upgrade" to Windows 10. Biggest waste of my time. I got home while it was 5% of the way through the "upgrade" - which meant I couldn't stop it. It used almost 3GB of my download quota and meant I had to use one of my other systems to do my assignment.

I figured I would take the opportunity to check out the OS. In short, I was extremely disappointed. My soundcard wasn't working properly with Win10. I was actually totally unable to use the onboard SPDIF to achieve 24/192 sound. From a audiophile's point of view - the OS is broken. What a fail. I switched back to Win7 because sound quality is an absolute deal breaker for me.

Not happy at all with Microsoft.
Old 31-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #2348
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Oh yeah, I hate auto-updates in most cases. First thing I do on Windows PCs and laptops is go into the Services editor and permanently switch off BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service). With BITS on, there are performance/CPU usage/battery usage problems, surprise compatibility issues and random crash/stalling problems on every single machine otherwise. I do updates manually in batches instead.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #2349
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted8 View Post

Not happy at all with Microsoft.
Not many people are after the Windows 10 'experience'.....

If you stuck with Win 10 at least you could have configured your wifi to be metered so that only updates you authorise get downloaded and installed...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #2350
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
Those little sticky labels on supermarket fruit that you can't get a fingernail under to remove. Do the checkout kids really need a PLU to tell the difference between a green Granny Smith apple and a red Jonathon, a persimmon and a pomegranate, or a lemon and a lime? Seriously?

But but but getting a job where i stick these little stickers on the apples is my dream job
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #2351
Boosted8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Not many people are after the Windows 10 'experience'.....

If you stuck with Win 10 at least you could have configured your wifi to be metered so that only updates you authorise get downloaded and installed...
The fact that they used 3GB of my quota didn't actually annoy me - I get 500GB per month. It was simply that I was not given the option to say "no" to "upgrading" to Win10.

I imagine a dialogue popped up saying "we're upgrading your system in 1 hr" but that really isn't good enough. I know many people that leave their systems on standby for extended periods of time.

It's just BS so that they can more-readily spy on the general population.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #2352
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
Those little sticky labels on supermarket fruit that you can't get a fingernail under to remove. Do the checkout kids really need a PLU to tell the difference between a green Granny Smith apple and a red Jonathon, a persimmon and a pomegranate, or a lemon and a lime? Seriously?

But but but getting a job where i stick these little stickers on the apples is my dream job
Sorry to spoil you dreams but I'm pretty sure they have machines for that.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #2353
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

used ear plugs last night in an effort to gain a peaceful nights sleep (got a fool in a V8 commodore who is working for the dole, starts at 6a.m. so leaves at 5.30 AM), not quietly either, got to rev the crap out of the little V8, dole bulging dhead).

must have pushed them in too far, both ears blocked now and bloody sore......and yes I have removed them!

Hah! good old Microsoft, wife's laptop got updated (despite having updates turned off) to 8.1 or whatever it is....now I have to find and reinstall all her drivers......they are a dopey mob at Microsoft, nothing goes easy.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:59 PM   #2354
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Geez! I hate that!

Quote:
used ear plugs last night in an effort to gain a peaceful nights sleep (got a fool in a V8 commodore who is working for the dole, starts at 6a.m. so leaves at 5.30 AM), not quietly either, got to rev the crap out of the little V8, dole bulging dhead).

must have pushed them in too far, both ears blocked now and bloody sore......and yes I have removed them!

Hah! good old Microsoft, wife's laptop got updated (despite having updates turned off) to 8.1 or whatever it is....now I have to find and reinstall all her drivers......they are a dopey mob at Microsoft, nothing goes easy.

Windows 10 most likely poppa. :-)

Microsoft had been pushing it out to everyone that has their PC configured to download and install updates automatically.

This is the first that I've heard about it being installed without auto updates enabled. All the drivers etc exist in the c:\windows.old folder. You can roll Windows 10 back to the previous version - same as it was prior to the upgrade.

I sympathize with your morning "rooster call".

Edit- just read the preceding posts. Sorry.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #2355
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah! I think you're right, she went from windows 8.1 so if the next one is 10 then that is what it was......(computer genius here.....pig's rump)

anyway, spat the dummy and I killed the lot, wiped the drive and reinstalled 7 (only windows disc I had for her machine)......much more stable for her toshiba satellite.......and we had all the drivers.

geez! I hate blocked ears....tried the old keys in the plughole, no go, large syringe full of water and soap, no go, 35 psi of compressed air (that hurt) but didn't work so I'm using the ear wax cleaner stuff but they are still blocked......sitting here listening to my own heart beat and a few low rumblings from "other sources" not much fun

one good thing I guess is that when Momma Smurf wants a job done then the old "I can't hear you dear" is actually true!

the thumps that follow still feel the same.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:17 PM   #2356
.:4:.
Kicking back

Try getting a bottle of wax drops from the chemist.. put them in one side, lay on your side for half an hour or so then when you get up all sorts of horrible things run out all over your neck and shirt. Then repeat for the other side. Its worked for me the past 2 times I've blocked my ears
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #2357
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah! I'm using waxsol......got it from the chemist, interesting conversation that was, trying to make an indian understand my language for blocked ears

never mind......these things are sent to try us as my old Bishop used to say.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #2358
.:4:.
Kicking back

You probably couldn't hear him.... joked aside. It may take a couple of tries for them to work, then the unsoothing whine of the wife will return
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2016, 02:04 AM   #2359
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who the hell thinks a freakin rooster is a good idea in suburbia.....

Awake at 3am yesterday, and I could have sworn I heard a rooster crowing in the distance. Put it down to tiredness, and despite waking several more times, and hearing it over & over, every 10-15 minutes, I still didn't believe it, as it was too early for the sun to be coming up.

Laying in bed for the last hour tonight and I hear the bastard again! This time I know I'm not dreaming it! But it's night, so why is it crowing like it's dawn??

Go outside to see of I can locate which ******* has it in their yard. Didn't take long - the guy who backs onto the park over the road. Then I saw it - car headlights, as they turned the corner, lit up his yard through the wire fence and the rooster ripped out another ****-a-doodle-effing-doo!

Walking back up my driveway, neighbour next door is outside for a smoke. A very quick discussion was had. He told me he heard it last night, located it, and realised the headlights were causing it to think it was daybreak.
He went over & told them in the morning that it was annoying, and possibly illegal in suburbia (they also have about a dozen chooks, but they are very quiet). He suggested putting a screen up on the fence to shield the chook shed from the car headlights, but he got told to Eff-off, so he reckons it won't last another night before someone shoots it.......
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2016, 07:56 AM   #2360
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Who the hell thinks a freakin rooster is a good idea in suburbia.....
We have had this discussion in my household. We were unable to come up with any reason TO have a rooster. What purpose DO they serve in suburbia? Anyone think of anything they are good for? Obviously they dont lay eggs so why have one?
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #2361
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only time they'd need one is if they want to fertilise the eggs for another batch of chickens - but it's so cheap to buy chicks, why would you bother?

If it tastes as good as chicken then it's going on the spit over charcoal if I get my hands on it....

Don't mind anyone having chooks in suburbia - especially if they're laying eggs for the household. They are quiet.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #2362
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL078 View Post
Anyone think of anything they are good for? Obviously they dont lay eggs so why have one?
Because amongst other things they keep the hens "happy"

Cheers Vinny

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #2363
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez I absolutely hate the fact that I bought my car spending a lot more than I wanted (first car) for a car with its fair share of problems that I thought I could fix (no money is coming in) only to be let down by others family in particular and regret the past 2 years of not having a part time job to be in a position no employer cares for so I'm constantly over looked. How ****** has this world come to, I knew it was bad but not as bad as I have realised.

Does anyone want a nitro (not bionic as was discussedvon a thread here) blue bf mk2 xr6 for 10 grand with zf And Fairmont ICC with sensors and a tow bar lol because if **** stays south bye bye car :(
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #2364
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

used to have a couple of nasty roosters at home back when daylight was invented........go to get the eggs and it was every boy for himself as the rhode island red hit his main stride and beat the crap out of anyone within striking distance.

scared the pyjamas off us.

swore I'd chop their heads off and have them for lunch but I reckon that would have just angered the grumpy buggers more.

they used to scatter everyone, including the hens.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #2365
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Yep... people don't understand how a 'chicken' can be so viscous!

Once they lay eyes on you, raise up and puff out those neck feathers you're done for.

Had chooks growing up, went in there once when I was around 10 to feed them and got cornered by the rooster. Dad heard my screams, ran in and grabbed it from the tail and swung it towards the shed wall.

Rooster on the floor knocked out, dads hands full of tail feathers and me as white as a ghost...

Like the same people who say to try and 'catch' the cute fluffy possum running around their roof cavity... yeah right!

3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2016, 05:13 PM   #2366
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL078 View Post
Sorry to spoil you dreams but I'm pretty sure they have machines for that.
So it's not a six figure salary with a company car type role

I don't know if I can handle this much disappointment today 😒

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 03-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #2367
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
used to have a couple of nasty roosters at home back when daylight was invented........go to get the eggs and it was every boy for himself as the rhode island red hit his main stride and beat the crap out of anyone within striking distance.

scared the pyjamas off us.

swore I'd chop their heads off and have them for lunch but I reckon that would have just angered the grumpy buggers more.

they used to scatter everyone, including the hens.
Ours is a big woos he makes heaps of noise but does stuff all to protect his chickens

As for screwsters in suberbia I hate them on acres, we only have one because I'm too soft to lob off his head

He came about because our neighbours looked after our chooks while we were on holidays and a fox got in and took all of our chooks (it happens) but they felt guilty and got us a dozen young chooks

For ages the kids said that ones a rooster and foot ages I said it wasn't, I evenchialy accepted it was a 'non chicken' now I can't get away with that any more he's a fully fledged rooster cooks a doodle do and all :(

To make things worse foxes got in and took 3 chooks through the day a few months back

Not the bloody rooster though

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)

Last edited by The Yeti; 03-04-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #2368
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
Ours is a big woos he makes heaps of noise but does stuff all to protect his chickens
not these mongrels, scared all sorts of crap out of anyone even looking like going in the yard.....gives me nightmares 50 years on, spurs had to be 3 inches long, strutted around like they owned the place, thinking back they did.

what is it with paint tins nowadays, doing a bit of sprucing up, grabbed the trim paint that I bought not 4 months ago, it's got a hole in the bottom, looks like it was eaten from the inside.

doesn't say much for the protective capabilities of the paint.

then to add insult to injury I dropped my 9" makita grinder and broke the bloody side handle off.......so I've packed up and called it a day.

2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #2369
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

When forget to check the toilet has bog roll in it when you get there, man i hate that
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #2370
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
When forget to check the toilet has bog roll in it when you get there, man i hate that
Don't you know that's why they also put showers in there.... full body bidet