Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #211
gtfpv
GT

Default Re: FG2 FPV's

todays daily telegraph has had another crack at the fpv GT . the media never cease to amaze me with thier bias towards holdens/hsv.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #212
HSE2

like what?
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #213
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Cometh October and verily did the pilgrims converge upon the sacred Mount where on was preached the sermon of the bent eights. Congregate did the disciples of the Blue Oval and Red Lion sects at this holy place; there to cast empty drink vessels at the unbelievers and to light pyres of sacrificial chariots. And at day's end, when one tribe's champion had smote mightily the other, the believers and philistines all did trail away in a long mournful procession across the western plain ...

FPV vs HSV Bathurst Comparison
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #214
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1

Cometh October and verily did the pilgrims converge upon the sacred Mount where on was preached the sermon of the bent eights. Congregate did the disciples of the Blue Oval and Red Lion sects at this holy place; there to cast empty drink vessels at the unbelievers and to light pyres of sacrificial chariots. And at day's end, when one tribe's champion had smote mightily the other, the believers and philistines all did trail away in a long mournful procession across the western plain ...

FPV vs HSV Bathurst Comparison
Cars Guide sucks but it did get me thinking about Bathurst.
V8 supercars should be scrapped and production racing reintroduced as the main category. The both cars with some light mods would be ace with top drivers behind the wheel.
P.S: I like engines that over power chassis both in cars and bikes. Good fun.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #215
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsguide article
As ever in Falcons, you're perched as though on an orange crate and anyone taller than 185cm has the wheel in his or her lap.
just going off topic for a bit, but i never understand this criticism. pops up nearly as often as the 'lack of curtain airbag' qualm.

i'm 6'2 and have no trouble getting in or out and the wheel isn't in my lap. all fg's have the same reach/height adjustment of the wheel and same seat movement. i reckon it has more to do with how the person sets it up. i also reckon it has a lot to do with people liking to have their arms out nice and straight when holding the wheel, so they have the wheel in as far as it goes. another bad driving practice.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #216
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
just going off topic for a bit, but i never understand this criticism. pops up nearly as often as the 'lack of curtain airbag' qualm.

i'm 6'2 and have no trouble getting in or out and the wheel isn't in my lap. all fg's have the same reach/height adjustment of the wheel and same seat movement. i reckon it has more to do with how the person sets it up. i also reckon it has a lot to do with people liking to have their arms out nice and straight when holding the wheel, so they have the wheel in as far as it goes. another bad driving practice.
I had a better seating position and more room in my Polo GTI than my current XR6. It may be comfortable for you, but its damn site uncomfortable for me in comparison. Dont know why they dont pick on the Holdens accelerator being against the right side of the car either though!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #217
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

IMO I thought they were fair in their comments on the FPV, in the context of being driven hard.

The seats are great but are to high.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #218
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
IMO I thought they were fair in their comments on the FPV, in the context of being driven hard.

The seats are great but are to high.

Have to agree although stability control comments are a bit of a 50/50. FPV could tune out the struggle to cope and leave people thinking the chassis is fine but at some point in B series there has been a change of heart somewhere and a certain amount of freedom is exhibited with loss of traction.

Go the other way and FPV would be on the end of a nanny bashing.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #219
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I have posted this quote for the simple reason that I see this as FPV's biggest problem. So many people want M5 performance and specs for a BMW 320 price, I feel sorry for the poor buggers.
you`ve summed it up mate, and people still seem to forget they only have x amount of dollars each year to work with, and every little tweak they do has to have testing and be all things to all people and still be reliable and warrantable and be done yesterday, i would hate to be a car manufacturer in Australia.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #220
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Have to agree although stability control comments are a bit of a 50/50. FPV could tune out the struggle to cope and leave people thinking the chassis is fine but at some point in B series there has been a change of heart somewhere and a certain amount of freedom is exhibited with loss of traction.

Go the other way and FPV would be on the end of a nanny bashing.
Very good point and agree. The F6 is a handful stock as it is and can catch you out so quickly. In my shortish drives of the Boss, it feels a little more, linear in it's power delivery and not as nasty, but both still need to be on a short tether so people don't get caught out.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #221
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Wonder how the FG Brute ute felt with the NA 5.0 in it around Bath-urst !
Old 08-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #222
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

Nope, 5ft11 here, steering wheel all the way out and up, sitting fairly close to wheel (I learnt to drive in Alfas, so I am used to fairly bent legs) and the damn steering wheel is too bloody low, even at its highest point. No such issues with BA-BF

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #223
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeyson
Wonder how the FG Brute ute felt with the NA 5.0 in it around Bath-urst !
I would DEARLY love to know this aswell!
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #224
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

Watched the race and saw the FG retire with problems ....
Old 08-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #225
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

certainly wasnt lost on the commentators..
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #226
CANFRY
Ba xr6

abit of track but i personally think they need to race stock cars with minor mods it would actually bring back the ford VS holden side of things and you could really see what car is better and be alot more interesting.
CANFRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #227
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
Interesting read.

I spent years driving various VE 6.0 SSV's and the journo's always fail to mention their appalling vision, awful clicky plastics, weird handbrake, difficult to read instuments, stupid port hole instead of fold down rear seat. The VE is not a bad tool, but it's not "A grand tourer par excellence" as they state.

It would have been better if they had of included a timed hot lap in each car. Oh wait that would have shown up the HSV as a lesser car.

Last edited by Elks; 08-10-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Elks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #228
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Interesting read. Would have been better if they had of included a timed hot lap in each car. Oh wait that would have shown up the HSV as a lesser car.
Probably did do a lap but wouldnt dare print the result !!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #229
XplodE
Smashed Gecko Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu.14.nd
abit of track but i personally think they need to race stock cars with minor mods it would actually bring back the ford VS holden side of things and you could really see what car is better and be alot more interesting.

Head up there in February/March then and you will see a few...
XplodE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #230
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Nope, 5ft11 here, steering wheel all the way out and up, sitting fairly close to wheel (I learnt to drive in Alfas, so I am used to fairly bent legs) and the damn steering wheel is too bloody low, even at its highest point. No such issues with BA-BF
i guess its a personal preference thing. i have the wheel all the way out and up also and i wouldn't say its too low.

oh well, even still, it thats all they have to pick on...
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #231
CANFRY
Ba xr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodE
Head up there in February/March then and you will see a few...

whats goin on up there then mate
are they gonna be racing stock vs stock ect?
CANFRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #232
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Bathurst 12 Hour. They are near stock, only safety stuff plus minor mods eg aftermarket suspension & brakes in standard sizes.

There are more GT3 type cars running these days but still some Ford/Holden/FPV/HSV - they do struggle against the Evo's though
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #233
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Bathurst 12 Hour. They are near stock, only safety stuff plus minor mods eg aftermarket suspension & brakes in standard sizes.

There are more GT3 type cars running these days but still some Ford/Holden/FPV/HSV - they do struggle against the Evo's though
They are miles from stock in reality.....
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #234
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Well there has been a bit of rule creep & everything is gone through as you would expect for a race car, but there would be more highly modified cars on the street.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #235
HaLLiS

So ive tried to read this thread and find out when we may get a glimpse of the fg2 fpv but still havnt really found anything apart from bathurst and race stuff.......
HaLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #236
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Interesting read.

I spent years driving various VE 6.0 SSV's and the journo's always fail to mention their appalling vision, awful clicky plastics, weird handbrake, difficult to read instuments, stupid port hole instead of fold down rear seat. The VE is not a bad tool, but it's not "A grand tourer par excellence" as they state.

It would have been better if they had of included a timed hot lap in each car. Oh wait that would have shown up the HSV as a lesser car.
Yes and we couldn't have any timed 0-100 k.p.h., 80-120 or quarter mile comparisons and we couldn't have the vehicles being auto versions like the vast majority of them are in the real world as those sort of things would have shown up the HSV badly too.

Hmmmm, Wonder why these "lesser" so called motoring journalists write articles that seem to be
thinly disguised plagiarised versions of earlier reviews...oh that's right it takes genuine
driving skill, writing ability and intelligence to construct an original review

Would be nice though if FPV finally get the message that nearly ALL owners want a lower seat height and fit same to FG2 and a retro fit kit for FG1 would be welcomed by almost everyone, (probably the most sensible modification one can do to their car).

Last edited by Rodge; 10-10-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #237
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually I think is is very true for all FPV ... but hey dies hard fan boys on this forum will never ever admit it ...

"The FPV soon reveals its twitchy, manic manner. This is the one you'd reckon on winning any traffic light derby, or would be if acceleration off the line and out of corners didn't need a sensitive foot. Punch it too hard in any conditions, especially wet ones, and a superb engine - one you'd be happy to find in a top-end Jaguar - is too much for the chassis to handle and the stability program to rein in.

Initial discomfort isn't helped by the most awkward driving position since the old Alfa Romeos. As ever in Falcons, you're perched as though on an orange crate and anyone taller than 185cm has the wheel in his or her lap.

But ... Suck all this up, breathe out and what a weapon you wield. You might undercook your corner entry speed, yet if you pick your moment you'll power out with supreme authority accompanied by the charger's whine. For all the modernity of what's under the bonnet, the character of this package feels more like an older-school muscle car, one that requires your best to get its best.

The Clubsport, by contrast, is more, well clubbable, as in a club to which you have to be elected. More linear than the FPV in almost all respects - acceleration, steering and handling - it fills the grand touring remit with luxuriant ease, barely touching 2000rpm at the legal limit in sixth gear."
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #238
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLLiS
So ive tried to read this thread and find out when we may get a glimpse of the fg2 fpv but still havnt really found anything apart from bathurst and race stuff.......
i dont think your the only one! Mr captain obvious.
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #239
HaLLiS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
i dont think your the only one! Mr captain obvious.
HaLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #240
malazn mafia
Boss 335

I think I saw an FG2 White Typhoon behind me coming back from Geelong to Melbourne the back way (past the 'you yangs'). Left him behind by a couple of km's then I got stuck behind a truck. He then appears out of nowhere, so the thing's got some balls. The headlights were definitely FG2 but the front bar was identical to FG1. Also saw an FG2 XT driving around with no camo around Geelong. Maybe someone's gone out and bought the FG2 lights and installed it into their FG1 Typhoon..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post