Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #241
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Ford to shed 240 local jobs, cut production as demand slumps

very rarely does a company axe models that are selling. rtv was obviously not viable. they can't continue to make products to cater to the few.

i know its unfortunate for those few that did buy them, but car manufacturers are in the business of making money.

up until 6 mnths ago, i've always had ford wagons. i sold my bf2 egas and bought my fg xr6. i'm leaving on a holiday on friday and have just spent the last hour dummy fitting the boot with luggage to make sure everything can fit. you will never find me whinging about lack of falcon wagon. i understand why there isn't one. being a blue blood i won't look elsewhere either which is why we will make do with a sedan. a territory wasn't an option as they are too thirsty on the juice for an everyday family car and once a year highway cruiser.

so my situation isn't a lot different to many. ford stopped making a product that i'd always bought, but thats life.
Old 18-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #242
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
very rarely does a company axe models that are selling. rtv was obviously not viable. they can't continue to make products to cater to the few.

i know its unfortunate for those few that did buy them, but car manufacturers are in the business of making money.

up until 6 mnths ago, i've always had ford wagons. i sold my bf2 egas and bought my fg xr6. i'm leaving on a holiday on friday and have just spent the last hour dummy fitting the boot with luggage to make sure everything can fit. you will never find me whinging about lack of falcon wagon. i understand why there isn't one. being a blue blood i won't look elsewhere either which is why we will make do with a sedan. a territory wasn't an option as they are too thirsty on the juice for an everyday family car and once a year highway cruiser.

so my situation isn't a lot different to many. ford stopped making a product that i'd always bought, but thats life.
They were selling them tho, just like they were selling Falcon wagons. They do things for a reason no doubt, but I dont believe its always becaues something isnt working, its sometimes because something else isnt working and they want to push it. e.g. ranger.

The amount of councils and governments that have them, I would hazard a guess that RTV was the second best selling ute to XL, their rational was that they were trying to push Ranger, and if you look ranger has taken off leaps and bounds since the dimise of RTV, but that doesnt help people like me who hate rangers (in their current state). The new Ranger may be a different story but I hope they have increased driver leg room.
Old 18-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #243
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The other option would be to offer a 2WD Ranger with either Ecoboost I-4 or better, the 3.7 V6.
Old 18-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #244
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I can't see the huge cost to Ford in making the RTV. The parts which made it an RTV are off the shelf bits that could have been fitted by FPV on subcontract. And yes, they were selling them, quite a few government departments in WA had them. It was the ONLY commercial vehicle available in Australia which had a 1-tonne payload, dedicated LPG, modest off road capability and didn't smash your internal organs apart like the Jap utes do.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 18-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #245
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I think it's fair to say (without sounding like an officious ****) that the few who do know what goes on in the likes of corporate world understand that this isn't necessarily the end for Ford in Australia.

We suggest what Ford should have done, could have done, perhaps would have done - the long and the short is THEY DIDN'T. They have made business decisions to suit their business, one person didn't make these decisions, a group did.

Yes, the RTV might have been selling, but what was their return on such a product? Did they end up putting more money into it than they got out of it? Was it profitable enough for them? Possibly not...

Yes, there may be stock sitting in Melbourne 'rusting', but how do you know it's not a different white Falcon to the one that was there yesterday?

You may not like the decisions they've made, but you will have to live with them...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez

Last edited by SEZ213; 18-04-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: My spelling is failing...
Old 18-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #246
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

Have a go at the Mondeo Wagon - the boots in those things are enormous. They're great on fuel, really nice to drive and come standard with a 6spd auto. No LPG but the Turbo Diesel is great.
Old 18-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #247
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Have a go at the Mondeo Wagon - the boots in those things are enormous. They're great on fuel, really nice to drive and come standard with a 6spd auto. No LPG but the Turbo Diesel is great.
looked at mondeo, and personally the exterior styling doesn't sit well with me, nor does the interior. personally i think my fg interior/dash etc kills the mondeo, but thats just personal preference. also, we were swapping a few cars around. the wife used to drive the family car, but i bought her a focus. i was jumping out of a modified v8, so i still wanted a bit under my right foot.
Old 18-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #248
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
You may not like the decisions they've made, but you will have to live with them...
Consumers don't have to live with Ford's decisions, consumers will go and buy another product.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 18-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #249
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I appreciate that a production system is in place, but with the way the market can change so fast and modern scheduling processes I would have thought the current spec is a very odd/old way of producing.

Why is there a a need for this ratio? DASH makes a good point about contracts on parts etc but surely your better off storing parts in a shed then leaving cars out the back. Parts are alot easier to reuse/recycle if not used aswell.
Build numbers are locked in months ahead, as are parts supplies. They have to do this as it would totally screw the suppliers up if they had to chop and change parts numbers day to day or week to week. As far as i'm aware they need numbers locked in well in advance.
Old 18-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #250
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Consumers don't have to live with Ford's decisions, consumers will go and buy another product.
Well, that's living with Ford's decisions isn't it? That's a choice you as a consumer make, but Ford's decisions are based on strategic business plans, not emotion.

If you take a look at Ford as a whole, their EBITDA is just starting to grow again after 3 years of a very bleak outlook, unfortunately there seems to be no individual data on Ford Australia, but I would envisage they are in a similar boat.

Unfortunately consumers want, want, want - the loyalty to a brand is non-existent anymore because we are so demanding. We don't want to wait 6 weeks, we want it now, or yesterday. Your comment is a testament to this fact.

My point is, there was clearly not enough of a support base for the products that you are all pining for now.

You really can't expect them to base their business decisions on what a small minority want...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 18-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #251
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

The question must be: What does the future hold for Falcon?
Some of you guys "in the know" at Broady or Geelong would surely have an idea about it?
By now, wouldn't some sort of pre-production started on FG's successor?
There's been no mention of the next generation Falcon, or even IF there's to BE one?
My belief is times soon up for our beloved Falcon, and that Territory and Ranger are to be the only locally produced. (and if diesel terry flops, just Ranger)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 18-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #252
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

For all the heartache of unsold products, i believe that FoA is still managing its costs well and
have probably waited as long as they dare before announcing reductions and down balancing.
I have a funny feeling that if sales really start to take off in the latter half of the year,
Ford might be paying for a lot of overtime or looking to increase line speed again.

Fingers crossed...
Old 18-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #253
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
Some of you guys "in the know" at Broady or Geelong would surely have an idea about it?
There's been no mention of the next generation Falcon, or even IF there's to BE one?
My belief is times soon up for our beloved Falcon, and that Territory and Ranger are to be the only locally produced. (and if diesel terry flops, just Ranger)
Current platform will run until 2015/16 AFAIK....perhaps a minor revision after FG2 but it wont be much...so Ford have another year atleast (or two) until they HAVE to make a decision.

There are a couple options being talked about, how much they have progressed into research I am not sure.

IMO Ford NA will see what happens over the next two years with the new models, if FoA cant sell what they have coming up then thats it.

If there is proof of potential then IMO we will get some kind of GRWD concept with local body and interior and use mainly corporate drivetrain and chassis.

Just my opinion though.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #254
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
Ranger isnt produced locally. It was designed here (the new model) but wont be built here.

Territories future rides on Falcon :(
Old 18-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #255
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Although in saying that lead up for for entire new platforms/variants is typically 5 years so some decisions will be need to be made by the end of the year I would think.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #256
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Current platform will run until 2015/16 AFAIK....perhaps a minor revision after FG2 but it wont be much...so Ford have another year atleast (or two) until they HAVE to make a decision.

There are a couple options being talked about, how much they have progressed into research I am not sure.

IMO Ford NA will see what happens over the next two years with the new models, if FoA cant sell what they have coming up then thats it.

If there is proof of potential then IMO we will get some kind of GRWD concept with local body and interior and use mainly corporate drivetrain and chassis.

Just my opinion though.
The reason I raised this is because of not one, but three seperate "little birdies", (2 of who are reasonably long termers at Broady).
All reckon this Falcon platform is the last.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 18-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #257
stevz
Banned

Went down barry rd today for the first time in a long while. Now I knew it was bad, but OMG!!! The place is absolutely bursting at the seams! It is full right up to the fence line. The way they are going they will be parking them out on the street soon!
Old 18-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #258
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Went down barry rd today for the first time in a long while. Now I knew it was bad, but OMG!!! The place is absolutely bursting at the seams! It is full right up to the fence line. The way they are going they will be parking them out on the street soon!

And when they park the cars, the leave the keys in them. Could be a popular way to get rid of cars, if they park them in the street.
Old 18-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #259
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
And when they park the cars, the leave the keys in them. Could be a popular way to get rid of cars, if they park them in the street.
Nah, some would still whinge and moan about no pre-delivery being done and no warranty...
Old 18-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #260
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Ford research when approving the RTV showed the number 1 complaint Falcon ute buyers had was the lack of ground clearance on their utes. Number 1 complaint!
Yet the RTV sold really poorly so much it couldn't be justified....which is a real shame as I really think they are a great ute.
Old 18-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #261
robbo/region15

Quote:
Lol,keys ignition,wiper arms up,batteries disconected....spent a few days there last month,going over the Falcons on the Soccer field,then the footie oval was next,then the bitumen carpark.......
So,as a Tier 1 supplier to Ford ,we go into Easter not knowing our working days after Easter,ie;how many will we cop this time around?
*Does anyone know if Ford renewed there contract with Toll?
Old 18-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #262
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Yet the RTV sold really poorly so much it couldn't be justified....which is a real shame as I really think they are a great ute.
Did it??

Most of brisbane city councils utes at the time were RTV's and most shire councils ran them...

I think Ford made out it was a poor seller to simply drop it and replace it with Ranger.. They had to beef up ranger sales to get it going.
Old 18-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #263
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Did it??

Most of brisbane city councils utes at the time were RTV's and most shire councils ran them...

I think Ford made out it was a poor seller to simply drop it and replace it with Ranger.. They had to beef up ranger sales to get it going.
AFAIK it was doing less then 100 units a month when it settled, so it was low numbers. I would have loved to see it go to on even till euro 4 release.

I did see plenty of them in QLD but that's were they seemed to be popular.
Old 18-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #264
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't seen many RTV in Sydney.. I actually thought they where a big flop to be honest... But I dont know the numbers so dont know
Old 22-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #265
BroadyFord

Nearmap has been updated - photo taken April 6.

Unsold cars as far as the eye can see:

http://www.nearmap.com//
Old 22-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #266
Flat Top
lid man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Probably not, alot of fleet operators (who lets face it are the people who buy cars) have moved away from Ford over the last 12 months, either not being able to get what they use to (e.g. wagon / gas) or finding better alternatives. One of my mates whos a rep has had Falcon wagons for the last 10 years, hes now got a new Subaru Liberty wagon and has said that the company he works for are changing their entire fleet, not because they wanted to but because they had to... I was suprised they didn't go Mondeo diesels but he reckons there was a supply issues, so it was Subaru...
if its that Australian paint company , make em park on the street??
Old 22-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #267
Flat Top
lid man

Quote:
Although in saying that lead up for for entire new platforms/variants is typically 5 years so some decisions will be need to be made by the end of the year I would think.

I think they will rue the focus decision????? better look at getting marketing into action and cut a few Fleet deals. Japanese cars gonna be hard to get in next 6 months (earthquake)
Old 22-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #268
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord
Nearmap has been updated - photo taken April 6.

Unsold cars as far as the eye can see:

http://www.nearmap.com//

Fixed

You need to click on 'share' in the top right corner then use that link.

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-37.66504...h&nmd=20110406
Old 22-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #269
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Employee Car park, and soccer pitch full

Toll yard not quite full, but storage area at rear pretty full too.

Lookign at those pic's, I reckon we're talking about 3,300 cars there right now.
Old 22-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #270
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Fixed

You need to click on 'share' in the top right corner then use that link.

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-37.66504...h&nmd=20110406
Thanks for the link, just comparing the 6 April to 29 January photograph,
there appears to be a lot more stock in the latter shot but the difference
appears to be lot less white ones and more blue, red and black.

I dunno, this might have to be a long XR6 $34,990 sale....
Closed Thread