Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Should Elderly people be made to do routine licence tests?
Yes 134 84.28%
No 25 15.72%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #241
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its the potential to cause harm to me etc.. prevention is better then cure.

you know what - If this was you behind them and they had a p-plate on you would be screaming bloody murder but because im the p-plater im gettin railed for it by you; wtf is that? go back to your sheltered lives guys, enjoy living in a 1 sided world

Last edited by Fev; 26-08-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #242
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
May as well claim they also partake in sex discrimination and class discrimination.

They are? Have you taken a poll?

It's an experience shortage. P platers have not had time to experience sharing the road with other road users. Just look at Fev.
Since when have premiums and excess been based on sex or class (and by class I assume you mean race / religion, etc???) ?

And I have no idea what you are asking in regards to "They are? Have you taken a poll?

And as for Fev, if I knew they guy I'd probably agree...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #243
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
My comment wasn't that "P plates are age discrimination" it implied that age discrimination is illegal in Australia unless your an insurance company...
Insurance companies .... as painful as they are ...... Do not discriminate. If people under 25 were not at a higher risk than some, their policies would be cheaper. If people over 65 were more of a risk, they would be dearer. They are companies for profit and not a charity. No-one can discriminate by law!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #244
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Its the potential to cause harm to me etc.. prevention is better then cure.

you know what - If this was you behind them and they had a p-plate on you would be screaming bloody murder but because im the p-plater im gettin railed for it by you; wtf is that? go back to your sheltered lives guys, enjoy living in a 1 sided world
So explain the potential of you being harmed by someone driving under the speed limit while you are behind them, matching their speed? I would suggest you put yourself in more harm by flashing your lights, beeping your horn then wooshing past them as they pulled to the side of the road. You honestly think that your actions were justified? Had it been a police car, would you have done the same thing? If not, why not?

If it was me behind them, no I wouldn't be screaming bloody murder, regardless of what plate was on the back of the car. I would have no idea why they were driving under the speed limit, perhaps there was a good reason?

Try driving through Kangaroo Valley behind a bus. You're lucky if you do 10kph then you have to wait while passengers disembark and let them cross the road. A 20 minute trip turns into a 1 hour trip very easily. Just sat back, casually went up and down the mountain and overtook them when it was safe.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #245
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Insurance companies .... as painful as they are ...... Do not discriminate. If people under 25 were not at a higher risk than some, their policies would be cheaper. If people over 65 were more of a risk, they would be dearer. They are companies for profit and not a charity. No-one can discriminate by law!
Yep, if ever there was a truer reflection of "risk potential" its the odds generated by insurance companies, much like betting on a long shot or odds on favourite....

Old 26-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #246
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Since when have premiums and excess been based on sex or class (and by class I assume you mean race / religion, etc???) ?

And I have no idea what you are asking in regards to "They are? Have you taken a poll?

And as for Fev, if I knew they guy I'd probably agree...
Have you ever taken out insurance? Your age, your sex and where you live are all determinants on how much you pay for insurance. Therefore, insurance companies clearly discriminate on age, sex and class.

An insurance quote on NRMA's website;

For me, today, where I live: 1334
If I was female with same options: 1256
If I lived in Vaucluse: 1195
If I was a female living in Vaucluse: 1061

Have you taken a poll is in relation to your claim that all elderly people are happy that P platers wear P plates. How do you know they're happy about it?
Old 26-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #247
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
There you have it.
How about those under 25 who never have an accident.
Never make a claim.
Are never convicted of a driving offence.
Yet, still have to pay for expensive insurance.
Just because it's backed by a few meaningless statistics doesn't mean it's not discrimination.

Imagine the crap that would go down if insurance company statistics showed that black females in the 38-42 year age bracket were of highest risk and adjusted their premiums and excess accordingly...
Old 26-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #248
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So explain the potential of you being harmed by someone driving under the speed limit while you are behind them, matching their speed? I would suggest you put yourself in more harm by flashing your lights, beeping your horn then wooshing past them as they pulled to the side of the road. You honestly think that your actions were justified? Had it been a police car, would you have done the same thing? If not, why not?

If it was me behind them, no I wouldn't be screaming bloody murder, regardless of what plate was on the back of the car. I would have no idea why they were driving under the speed limit, perhaps there was a good reason?

Try driving through Kangaroo Valley behind a bus. You're lucky if you do 10kph then you have to wait while passengers disembark and let them cross the road. A 20 minute trip turns into a 1 hour trip very easily. Just sat back, casually went up and down the mountain and overtook them when it was safe.
i have already said they were driving erraticly, slowing to a crawl in random spots, and sometimes hitting the brakes for no reason whatso ever
Old 26-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #249
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
i have already said they were driving erraticly, slowing to a crawl in random spots, and sometimes hitting the brakes for no reason whatso ever
You're changing your story, champ.
Old 26-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #250
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Have you ever taken out insurance? Your age, your sex and where you live are all determinants on how much you pay for insurance. Therefore, insurance companies clearly discriminate on age, sex and class.

An insurance quote on NRMA's website;

For me, today, where I live: 1334
If I was female with same options: 1256
If I lived in Vaucluse: 1195
If I was a female living in Vaucluse: 1061

Have you taken a poll is in relation to your claim that all elderly people are happy that P platers wear P plates. How do you know they're happy about it?
Excellent.
Nice find and some good info there.
Clearly outlining that insurance companies do, in fact, discriminate against more than just age...

No, I haven't taken a poll on the elderly being happy about P platers displaying P plates (you are quite welcome to if you like, I don't have the time), however, in a public discussion that occured on the NW of Tas several months ago, the general conscensus was that it was fine for P plate drivers to continue to display P plates, whereas the very suggestion that the elderly should have to display E plates was an outrage...
Old 26-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #251
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
There you have it.
How about those under 25 who never have an accident.
Never make a claim.
Are never convicted of a driving offence.
Yet, still have to pay for expensive insurance.
Just because it's backed by a few meaningless statistics doesn't mean it's not discrimination.
They're rewarded with no claim bonuses.

If you think it's discrimination, take Insurance companies to court for a big civil suit, win and spend the rest of your days sunning yourself in the Bahamas among wads of cash and buxom bikini babes. I'm sure you'd find a lawyer to do it Pro Bono, it's for WADS!!
Old 26-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #252
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Patience is a virtue with all types of road users. Old or young. I was behind a L plater yesterday, driving erratically, speeding up slowing down, kept my distance....they have enough on their mind and need the space to learn. I dont think honking or flashing would have helped their cause. No different to me those who are learning, to those who, at the other end of the time scale, are virtually unlearning. We all go through it, and none of us are perfect drivers.

Letting the frustration dog off the leash is the easiest way to rubbing metal.
Well said.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #253
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Excellent.
Nice find and some good info there.
Clearly outlining that insurance companies do, in fact, discriminate against more than just age...

No more than the TAB discriminates against proven performers or roughies, slow tracks or fast tracks...
Insurance premiums are a game of odds, the higher the risk of a payout, the higher the premium. No point sooking about it, its a justifiable fact.

Old 26-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #254
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

It would be interesting to know if there are any statistics that support the premise that requiring oldies to do medicals actually significantly reduces their involvement in accidents or the road toll or if it is just another case of pandering to naive public opinion (similar to banning P platers from having V8's).

I have my suspicions that the sudden onset of dementia, a stroke or similar that may cause oldies to initiate accidents might well happen between any annual medicals they are required to have and that it might be more effective to have some system on all cars that prevents drunks and those with aged diminished memory, reflexes and mental capacity from starting their cars in the first place. If we all had to remember and key in some complex string of numbers in a random order responding to a set of coloured lights or perform a similar task within x seconds when prompted before we could start out cars maybe the world would be a safer place in terms of ensuring those not fit to drive for a variety of reasons did not drive.
Old 27-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #255
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
It would be interesting to know if there are any statistics that support the premise that requiring oldies to do medicals actually significantly reduces their involvement in accidents or the road toll or if it is just another case of pandering to naive public opinion (similar to banning P platers from having V8's).

I have my suspicions that the sudden onset of dementia, a stroke or similar that may cause oldies to initiate accidents might well happen between any annual medicals they are required to have and that it might be more effective to have some system on all cars that prevents drunks and those with aged diminished memory, reflexes and mental capacity from starting their cars in the first place. If we all had to remember and key in some complex string of numbers in a random order responding to a set of coloured lights or perform a similar task within x seconds when prompted before we could start out cars maybe the world would be a safer place in terms of ensuring those not fit to drive for a variety of reasons did not drive.
Add in a breath tester too.. haha.. what a great idea.
outback_chick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #256
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_chick
Add in a breath tester too.. haha.. what a great idea.
There's a device they use in the US for habitual drunk drivers where they have to blow into a breath analyser every 15 minutes or the car turns off. More danger than what it's worth, if you ask me.
Old 27-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #257
Debzilla_108
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they have something like that in aus...

guy that worked at my partners work was a known alco they put a thing in his car that he had to blow and if he was over the limmit it wouldnt start....well he proved that the thing didnt work very well plenty of times aparently....

but yes the american version sounds rather dangerous if u have to do it while driving

"When there's nowhere left to turn...........turn right!"
Debzilla_108 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #258
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They're rewarded with no claim bonuses.

If you think it's discrimination, take Insurance companies to court for a big civil suit, win and spend the rest of your days sunning yourself in the Bahamas among wads of cash and buxom bikini babes. I'm sure you'd find a lawyer to do it Pro Bono, it's for WADS!!

Hmmmm. Let me guess what you do for a living........
Old 27-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #259
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I have an elderly family friend who told me he drives a maximum of 50 km/h everywhere and avoids the freeway at all costs. He just thinks it's unsafe to go any faster in today's crazy world. He has a lot of health problems, takes him five minutes to walk to the toilet, speaks very slowly and has quite shaky hands. I'm honestly glad he doesn't go any faster than 50, but I also wonder if he should be behind a wheel at all.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #260
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

i voted no. as the majority of you have said, the biggest problem is car park prangs and reversing into poles. WHO CARES?? im sure the majority of older drivers would be insured anyway. it could be the last five years of their lives, should we take someones independance away beacuse they cant reverse park in record time or because they drive everywhere 5 kays below the speed limit? well if i live till im 80 and rta want to test me, i wouldnt stop driving even if i failed. ill be dead in a few years after that anyway!! so bring on the unlicenced driving charges all you like.

ps. i behave now mostly but i plan to run a muck when i know my time is near!!!!!
Old 27-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #261
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What kind of attitude is that? If you cant spot a 2 tonne sedan stopped behind you while you back out of a parking spot what kind of hope to you have at seeing a mum with a pram, or kids around in the area?
Old 27-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #262
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While its fair to say there's no excuse for failing to take due care when reversing in a car park its also equally fair to say allot of people place themselves in positions of shall we say "vulnerability" by either speeding in car parks or driving/pulling up too close to or walking in peoples blind spots...
A classic example of this is someone speeding up to get past a reversing car only to cop said reversing car in the rear door....
The reverser maybe technically in the wrong but impatience, stupidity and poor judgement contributed to it.

Last edited by 4Vman; 27-08-2008 at 04:41 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #263
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Hmmmm. Let me guess what you do for a living........
Go ahead, guess - I'll give you a hint. It's not an insurance company or a law firm.

So go ahead with the suit, you seem to think you have a case.
Old 28-08-2008, 12:18 AM   #264
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Get rid of the old people!

And take the young people off the roads too!

And crush those 4WDs that keep terrorizing our streets!

Then ban those immigrants who cant even read the street signs!

Finally, lets eliminate all those environmentally unfriendly cars!
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #265
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i hate all those drivers young or old that cut me off at the lights when im driving a road train dont they know it takes a long time to pull up ? i also hate ppl that sit on 87kph in a 110 zone
Old 28-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #266
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tregs
well i hate all those drivers young or old that cut me off at the lights when im driving a road train dont they know it takes a long time to pull up ?
Yeah but Train drivers dont go through many lights.
Quote:
i also hate ppl that sit on 87kph in a 110 zone
Hey! your only supposed to be doing 90 anyway...'cept in WA

Regarding slow old folks, how about the 97year old man who was clocked doing 152kmh in a 80 zone on the Hume last Sat.
Old 28-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #267
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i drive through adelaide and port augusta all up 6 sets of lights each way an yes i can only do 90 thats why i hate ppl sitting on 87
Old 28-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #268
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
i drive through adelaide and port augusta all up 6 sets of lights each way an yes i can only do 90 thats why i hate ppl sitting on 87
Ah, sounds like me, a 10 hr drive with 4 sets of lights each day (city folk eat ya heart out!!)
Old 28-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #269
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol atleast im not alone ppl just dont think when there driving well ive had my whinge now im happy
Old 28-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #270
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Go ahead, guess - I'll give you a hint. It's not an insurance company or a law firm.

So go ahead with the suit, you seem to think you have a case.

Your a bit of knob aren't you?

Who said anything about a law suit?

Quit making assumptions.