Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-02-2023, 10:22 PM   #31
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU 16" tyre size

Well I understand this is a very old thread. Rather than starting a new one I thought I'd ask here.

I'm looking to fit a set of tyres to a spare set of 16" alloys I've got lying around to use when I load the wagon up and head camping I've got a little more side wall for both comfort and to give a little more clearance whilst also providing taller gearing over the 18" wheels I currently am running. I also don't want to. E worried about damaging a tyre/rim when exploring off the blacktop which I do a little when away camping. Yes I tend to push the boundaries I actually had to do some rock packing to get down and back up a track today as the poor old girl bellied out.

Was thinking something like a 215/65/16 or even something with a 70 profile if it would fit and clear everything?

If anyone has any experience with anything in these sort of sizes that would be great.

And as for the guards. I'm not worried about them as they been rolled previously.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2023, 11:16 AM   #32
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

not me, maybe a dry run at a tyre outlet?
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2023, 05:17 PM   #33
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

The RTV size of 215/65/16 can just fit under the ball joint but it will be dependent on the shape of the actual tyre chosen (tread width/shoulder etc).

Remember the RTV had a wider track, achieved by wheels with 15mm less offset - moving the tyre further outwards and away from the stub-axle/upright/knuckle and associated top ball joint pinch point.

If you are changing wheels and use lower offset (E-series 16" for example) then bigger tyres are a much easier fit - until they start fouling on the guard.

The RTV referenced in my signature line ran 225/70/16 on 16x7 with a 10mm offset - tyre outside of top ball joint. The smaller opening BA guards needed some massaging but AU's are more open and would be fine.

Standard AU-BA Falcon wheel offset is 36.5mm, RTV was 15mm less at 21.5mm. E-series are typically zero to 10mm ish.

Comparative position of a 245/45/17 on factory 17x8 Falcon alloys (photo by EB# used without permission )
This post > http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...&postcount=418

Last edited by Raptor; 16-02-2023 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Fix a spelling mistake, because I can :-) and show a comparison photo
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2023, 05:35 PM   #34
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
The RTV size of 215/65/16 can just fit under the ball joint but it will be dependent on the shape of the actual tyre chosen (tread width/shoulder etc).

Remember the RTV had a wider track, achieved by wheels with 15mm less offset - moving the tyre further outwards and away from the stub-axle/upright/knuckle and associated top ball joint pinch point.

If you are changing wheels and use lower offset (E-series 16" for example) then bigger tyres are a much easier fit - until they start fouling on the guard.

The RTV referenced in my signature line ran 225/70/16 on 16x7 with a 10mm offset - tyre outside of top ball joint. The smaller opening BA guards needed some massaging but AU's are more open and would be fine.

Standard AU-BA Falcon wheel offset is 36.5mm, RTV was 15mm less at 21.5mm. E-series are typically zero to 10mm ish.

Comparative position of a 245/45/17 on factory 17x8 Falcon alloys (photo by EB# used without permission )
This post > http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...&postcount=418

Thanks for the detailed information. very handy to see the images as well as I am quiet a visual person. Will do some measuring and confirm what offset the wheels I currently have are and go from there. If I could make a 225/70/16 fit I would be wrapped. My only other concern would be clearance on the rear end but I will have a closer look and check that too. I can't push the outside of the tyre any further outwards as currently the 245/40/18's just kiss the guards on full compression. Unfortunately until I get the springs reset to be a touch higher this is quite common :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
not me, maybe a dry run at a tyre outlet?
I was thinking of doing this as I am have a good run with my local Tyrepower
shop. I will try and get myself close to the mark first so I can minimise the time I need from them.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post