Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Storme93
Jeep/Mercedes Technician

Default ECU Compatibility

My mums AU is having issues with the ac not turning on and i have narrowed it down to a break in the earth wiring or the ecu, me and the boys at work are looking at it being a bad ecu as the car also has a rough idle and weird shifts in the trans ever since the car got wet inside at a car storage place earlier in the year

So it is a series 3 forte and my car is a series 2 forte, just wondering if i can just whip my ecu out and into her car to make sure that it is definately the ecu and not a wiring issue?

Will there be any issues or will it just be a simple straight swap and see job?

Thanks for any help guys really appreciated

FGX XR8, Silhouette, Manual, 500HP, 940NM, Tune, 71mm Pulley, KPM Intercooler, BMC Twin Air Filter
Storme93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: ECU Compatibility

Go for it you can only try, they are basically the same.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Series 2-3 ECU are compatible with each other, however you won't be able to just do a quick swap because of smartshield.

To swap ECU's with smartshield you need to visit a Ford dealer to do a pats reset or an auto sparky who can do it, though they seem to rare.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2023, 01:13 PM   #4
ARL111
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Series 2-3 ECU are compatible with each other, however you won't be able to just do a quick swap because of smartshield.

To swap ECU's with smartshield you need to visit a Ford dealer to do a pats reset or an auto sparky who can do it, though they seem to rare.
Hello, could you please tell me. Can a series 1 xr8 ECU go into a series 3
XR8

Thanks.
ARL111 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2023, 02:36 PM   #5
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARL111 View Post
XR8

Thanks.

good gold mine - but to answer your question ...... i know with the 6 cylinder versions the series 1 does not swap into the series 2/3, so i'm presuming the V8's are the same as well ..
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-05-2023, 04:47 PM   #6
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARL111 View Post
XR8

Thanks.
As above, the answer is no. You will also need the correct catch code for the xr8 ecu. S2 is tuned for the 200kw and S3 is tuned for the 220kw. As i found out, the ecu does matter as mine had a 200kw ecu and was down on power. Once correct 220kw ecu went in, everything was fine including the rough idle.

Good luck finding one though..............