Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #2131
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz193 View Post
Made a purchase of my own finally after a month or so of deliberation... loving it at the moment! Spent a bit more then I originally planned for but oh well, was worth it. Excited to hit the road and get into it... how do I join the AFF group on strava?

Is that a Trek Emonda? Nice bit of kit. My mate bought the SLR8. 10k worth

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #2132
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz193 View Post
... how do I join the AFF group on strava?
At the top of the Strava page, click on the drop down tab 'Explore -> Clubs' then type in AFF Crew.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #2133
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just for a shameless pic of my treadly and a bit of a laugh .........

Last edited by mik; 27-02-2016 at 01:02 AM.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 02:51 PM   #2134
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
For those that don't want to pay the exorbitant primo price for Strava then what I do is pay for Cyclemeter Elite which is just under $7 a year (Strava is just under $7 a month) which I prefer over the Strava app anyway, it just doesn't have a web interface.

Then cyclemeter automatically uploads to your free Strava account within a few minutes of pressing done when your ride is finished ready for you to view.
What does cyclemeter elite give you strava free does not? You can still auto upload with the free version of strava and access lots of goodies, there are just more features available with the premium version, many folks won't use them though. https://www.strava.com/premium

To be honest, for a featured piece of software like strava and all the development that gets done, as a senior technical manager for a large online company, I can appreciate what it takes to run something like that. I'm happy to pay for it.

some great features here too. http://labs.strava.com/projects/

There is also a massive community with strava too. I have met many folks through it that ride similar routes to me, even live nearby. Organised group rides (Speaking of which, Melbourne based folks - who's up for it?) are also frequent.

It's not littered with ads to pay for an infrastructure to stand it up and store all your data either.
Theres direct integration with a shed load of devices that actually works as well as features fed back to those devices that work most of the time......Hello Garmin, hows live segments coming along?....

For the money IMHO its well worth it, I resisted it for years opting to use other apps, but at the end of the day I succumb and I'm glad I did.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #2135
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I can see why you hate the seat, Mik!

I think the seat isn't to support your cheeks, like an armchair, but more to support the bony bits a lot closer in.... they're called the 'sit bones' but I didn't know what that was till I started think with my backside...

1971 Fairlane 500
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
This user likes this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #2136
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Just for a shameless pic of my treadly and a bit of a laugh .........
Another red rocket.. sweet!
One word of advice though..please get rid of that seat though and get one that suits you.. your back side will love you for it..

as mentioned before bigger and more padded it not necessarily better. Position, both height and angle, also make a world of difference, My favourite saddle feels like crap at the wrong angle, a decent LBS will have loaners they can let you test with, you might be surprised...
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #2137
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I can see why you hate the seat, Mik!

I think the seat isn't to support your cheeks, like an armchair, but more to support the bony bits a lot closer in.... they're called the 'sit bones' but I didn't know what that was till I started think with my backside...
agreed , the seat is horrible, modifications to come .
Old 17-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #2138
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
Another red rocket.. sweet!
One word of advice though..please get rid of that seat though and get one that suits you.. your back side will love you for it..

as mentioned before bigger and more padded it not necessarily better. Position, both height and angle, also make a world of difference, My favourite saddle feels like crap at the wrong angle, a decent LBS will have loaners they can let you test with, you might be surprised...
You got me on that one, i did that chair modification last night before the ride, i think it made it worse :( , one thing Im going to do is get rid of the seat post , it sort of has a bracket that doesnt allow much seat angle adjustment, the seat will get the kyber too .
Old 17-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #2139
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Go tubeless my friend and all your woes will be gone. I got home from a ride the other day and pulled at least 30 big double gee prickles from my front tyre alone that all leaked air when I pulled them out, then I spun the front wheel a few times and no more leaks, I even reckon it only lost a half a PSI in total while sealing back up. Brilliant.

I carry a spare tube but that is just in case I rip a side wall.
On the five punctures in one ride I was running tubeless. First puncture sealed itself, second time wouldn't seal until I played with it a fair bit and pumped it up again only to get further up the track for it to fail to seal in another hole so had to pull the tubeless valves out and put a tube in, then 10km later, another tube etc. etc.

T
Old 17-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #2140
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
On the five punctures in one ride I was running tubeless. First puncture sealed itself, second time wouldn't seal until I played with it a fair bit and pumped it up again only to get further up the track for it to fail to seal in another hole so had to pull the tubeless valves out and put a tube in, then 10km later, another tube etc. etc.

T
Well I don't know what your doing different to me but in the last 4 months I've had dozens and dozens that would leak when the prickle was pulled out, just rotate it to the bottom where the liquid is and it seals in a millisecond, next mornings ride the tyre hasn't lost any pressure. I go weeks in between checking my tyres air pressure and in those weeks I've had countless punctures that leak air when removed but seal up almost instantly. If we're talking holes from 4 inch nails then you may not be so lucky.

Are you using TR tyres and the sealant that is for TR tyres?

Also there's TR tyres for about $30 and TR tyres for $75, some are better than others.
Old 17-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #2141
adz193
EL XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
At the top of the Strava page, click on the drop down tab 'Explore -> Clubs' then type in AFF Crew.
Thanks... Couldn't find it on the app on my phone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Is that a Trek Emonda? Nice bit of kit. My mate bought the SLR8. 10k worth
Sure is, only the SL6 though... Loving it so far! Yeah the SLR's look incredibly good

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
adz193 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #2142
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Well I don't know what your doing different to me but in the last 4 months I've had dozens and dozens that would leak when the prickle was pulled out, just rotate it to the bottom where the liquid is and it seals in a millisecond, next mornings ride the tyre hasn't lost any pressure. I go weeks in between checking my tyres air pressure and in those weeks I've had countless punctures that leak air when removed but seal up almost instantly. If we're talking holes from 4 inch nails then you may not be so lucky.

Are you using TR tyres and the sealant that is for TR tyres?

Also there's TR tyres for about $30 and TR tyres for $75, some are better than others.
Yep bike work on by very experienced guy that I ride with. Just luck of the draw and that ride a was a bad one. Had been bombing down rocky stuff at high speed the week before.

The same area we rode in a group a couple of weeks later, and that was when we had about 15 punctures between eight riders... Was crazy.

So yes tubeless is good, but certainly not foolproof, and if going far afield out of mobile reception always still take a tube.
Old 17-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #2143
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Yep bike work on by very experienced guy that I ride with. Just luck of the draw and that ride a was a bad one. Had been bombing down rocky stuff at high speed the week before.

The same area we rode in a group a couple of weeks later, and that was when we had about 15 punctures between eight riders... Was crazy.

So yes tubeless is good, but certainly not foolproof, and if going far afield out of mobile reception always still take a tube.
Agreed.

I smash a lot of gnarly down hill rocks as well but I rarely run my tyre pressures over 25 psi front and rear.
Old 21-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #2144
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have cable operated disc brakes on the bike front and back , and they work well, the pressure required to make them work is very easy for normal pulling up, i had to pull up a bit quick today while going down a hill , weight transfer the rear locked up and it was all the front brake doing the work , it was struggling a bit , probably because of my weight no doubt, it did the job , but i would have liked a bit more stopping power.
just wondering can you get dual front brakes ?
Old 21-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #2145
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I can't recall seeing them, Mik. The other option for disc brakes is hydraulic operated which I have on my mountain bike.
The disc brakes pull up a lot quicker than the caliper/rim brakes on most road bikes though...

1971 Fairlane 500
Old 22-11-2015, 02:34 AM   #2146
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Swanny i`ll sus them out.
Old 26-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #2147
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone have any experience with those little stands that you use to turn your bike into a stationary bicycle? I'm too lazy to go outside anymore.

These sort of things: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-INDOO...-/221772406504

Do they work with mountain bikes? Can you go hard on them or do you have to be careful not to tip over?
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #2148
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Does anyone have any experience with those little stands that you use to turn your bike into a stationary bicycle? I'm too lazy to go outside anymore.

Do they work with mountain bikes? Can you go hard on them or do you have to be careful not to tip over?
They are ok, but you may not get much of a workout on them as the resistance levels on the cheap ones dont really...well...resist. A fluid trainer will give you the best results if you are using it for fitness. As you spin faster, the more resistance it builds and you'll find it is a better way to train.

A mag trainer will be ok but after a while it won't provide you with the resistance you need as good as a fluid trainer. Don't get me wrong it will be fine for basic use.

As for getting on or off, they are pretty sturdy, but you some caution getting on or off the bike. When you on it, you do feel fairly solid.

These are compatible and adjustable for all adult bikes.

I have a CycleOps fluid trainer https://www.cycleops.com/catalog/trainers-rollers#

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #2149
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are looking at indoor trainers have a read of this to help you decide what is right for you. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/2...endations.html
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #2150
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had a go on a home made one some years ago, it was basically a bit of plate with a couple of uprights secured to the axle, it didnt look as good as the one in your link, but i could still motor along on it ok..... so to speak, i dont see a mountain bike as being a problem as long as it fits ok and its sturdee.
if memory serves a fair bit of noise came through the floor through the stand into the floor , it worked better on a bit of carpet mat.
Old 26-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #2151
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
i have cable operated disc brakes on the bike front and back , and they work well, the pressure required to make them work is very easy for normal pulling up, i had to pull up a bit quick today while going down a hill , weight transfer the rear locked up and it was all the front brake doing the work , it was struggling a bit , probably because of my weight no doubt, it did the job , but i would have liked a bit more stopping power.
Again never seen dual front brakes. Whilst cable discs are ok, they are prone to cable stretch just like a normal rim brake, whereas hydraulics dont really suffer from that. I have Deore hydraulics on my Giant with as big a rotor as you will find, 203 on the front and 180 on the rear, the stopping power is pretty full on even with a little air in the rear line that i need to get looked at.

SRAM make a 4 piston caliper now aswell.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #2152
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post

I ride on stationary trainer a lot . To ride effectively you need some sort of resistance . I am Using a road bike , wahoo kickr trainer and zwift or trainer road software. This combo tracks power, cadence ,heart rate and trainer can work in ergo or free mode. This way you can do structured training , intervals at set power etc. When connected to zwift you can race other people , sprint or climb in virtual reality :-) . Naturally this night be overkill for many but provides much better motivation than staring at the wall while suffering :-).
For a simple system Lemond revolution ( direct drive , fan resistance , most realistic feel ) is great if a bit noisy at high speed .
If you prefer to keep your rear wheel on Kurt Kinetic is well proven and durable.
Most trainers will accept 130 or 135 mm rear spacing if direct mount. For roller type mtb knobby tyre will be an issue - they work better with smooth tyre.
As for going hard - some of our strongest (track) cyclists go all out on them so they are pretty sturdy .

Last edited by SumoDog68; 26-11-2015 at 02:46 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #2153
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Most bike brakes are more than sufficient , especially disc variety. Limitations are in tyre traction , weight distribution and rider experience.
You don't need brake upgrade as long as they are adjusted properly and pads and rotors are in good nick . Modulation while using front and rear brakes simultaneously is the key and on down hills you need to keep your weight on the rear wheel or behind.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 26-11-2015 at 02:43 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #2154
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably in my case the weight is the problem, if I was an Indian they would have called me "two blokes".
Old 26-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #2155
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I'm enjoying this cycling thread, been a long time MTB rider and collector of U.S made Cannondale Super V's.
I'll post some pics if anyone's interested.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #2156
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I'm enjoying this cycling thread, been a long time MTB rider and collector of U.S made Cannondale Super V's.
I'll post some pics if anyone's interested.

I'm interested. Post away. I have a real soft spot for Dales as my first real mtb was an old Jekyll with a lefty max. What a great bike. I currently have a SuperSix roadie.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #2157
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I currently have a SuperSix roadie.
I have a CAAD8.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2015, 12:18 AM   #2158
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bArNsY View Post
If you are looking at indoor trainers have a read of this to help you decide what is right for you. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/2...endations.html
I consider myself pretty lucky as I have access to a Watt Bike .. I have been doing 10k intervals , monitor in particular average watts per kilo , and time over the 10k
I had been using the Lemond with power meter , and thought for the price it couldn't get any better as an indoor trainer - I was wrong the Watt Bike is streets ahead - however it comes at a high price
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #2159
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

please delete
Old 27-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #2160
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I'm interested. Post away. I have a real soft spot for Dales as my first real mtb was an old Jekyll with a lefty max. What a great bike. I currently have a SuperSix roadie.
Yeah love the Cannondale's. Like my trucks, they're all heavily modified. don't do stock.

Still got my Jekyll, I bought it new but didn't like the cheap Manitou forks it came with as it was a 'poverty pack' 400. Eventually will fit a lefty for it.

Here's some of the Dales, my viper red 'V' is now 20 years old and like brand new and yes I ride drop bars offroad...
below taken in 1995 at Warrah Trig over looking the Hawkesbury.

And it present look, highly modified. TEST... can you ID the components ??

This is the Super V Raven, aluminium spine and carbon wrapped.
It was an US ebay basket case I rebuilt using updated drivetrain.

Rebuilt still have to strip the swingarm for polishing.

below. Super V1000 active ebay bargain highly modified with what's known as a Ubber upgrade.
Rear air shock is replaced with longer travel stable platform model, swingarm is drilled out further up the pivot, front shock is swapped out for mountain spring and Super Fatty air cartridge. giving a plush 6 and 5 inch travel.

Post some more soon.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: