Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
streetracer23

Default ford vs holden

hey.. just wondering. with light modification eg. cold air intake, air filter, extractors etc which would go harder. a commodore vx s or a falcon el xr6

streetracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
feebs
BrwnBstd

Standard s pac.. then my money is on the falcon

Supercharged option s pac.. money on the commodore
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
GUNEF
GUNEF

i beat a vx v6 n/a and ripped it apart.. i got a better start which helped.. i only drive a ef falcon auto.. with full exaust and cold air intake, amd some head work.. the vt,xt commos are quick off the mark in fist gear but after that the falcons come home hard.. the best thing u have to do is get a better reaction time to help your chances

not that i know :s
GUNEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your XR is manual you'll crush the Commo easily straight off the line, and probably also take out the supercharged Crappadore. If auto the Ford has super tall gearing hence the Commo has you off the line but you will still reel it in~

But really, who gives a flying what I think.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Bit of an unfair fight isn't it? comparing a 1996 EL to a 2000 model VX, Shouldn't you compare VX with an AUII or a EL with a VS?
Old 30-10-2007, 11:30 PM   #6
gngtho
Banned

I have run an ex cop VY and a VX with the man behind the ED and they both are even until i hit third then the falc slacs of until the proper torqe kicks in and then its buy buy holden.

also ive run them with the auto and it feels like ages even when you stall it up, but again when second kicks in then you start to take them on the higher end of the revs.

ive got 3:2.3's in the diff little head shave as i changed the head gascket, a 2 1/2 inch system and a k&N filter in the original filter box.

I just sit back and wait for the torqe to kick in.
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #7
Bent8
Long live the GT !

The FORD...don't ask me why...just believe it to be true ;)

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

I've beaten a VS V6 Ecotec with extractors, exhaust and SS intake with my bog stock standard AU Fairmont Ghia. Good result considering the Mont ways some 300 kilos more.

The VX has no advantage over the EL as when the VT came in the Commodore became as heavy as the Falcon and the Ecotec is rubbish and ages really bad compared to the Falcon six I remember reading an article where an engineer was talking about the sh*te teiming chain on the Ecotec which after a few years begins to get slack and affect valve timing.

Like others have said the Falcon is slow off the line (I nearly had a heart attack when a Daihatsu got the jump on me) but it won't be long before the engine is in the meat of it's torque and reeling them in.

As someone with many Commodore sixes under the belt I would hedge my bets with the Falcon. I would even say that a well maintained VS has a better chance of beating the Falcon than the VX.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Heres the article on the Commodore V6:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=1161
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My EL XR6 is alot quicker than my dads VX. Mines alot more responsive, and downgears alot quicker, the only advantage the commo has, it gets off the line slightly quicker. They are both autos aswell.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #11
EB 2 XR8
Traino!

why would you compare a VX to a EL?

AU >>>> VX

AU XR6 >>> VX

EB 2 XR8 - 5 Speed, All Black, SSV Bodykit,

EF 2 XR6 - 5 Speed, XR Kit, Sunroof,

Current Car:

EL GLI - Straight As!
EB 2 XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
streetracer23

na i was just comparing the 2 cos i dun like the vs commo or the au falcon in terms of looks.. el xr6 is the way 2 go
Old 31-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #13
3vXT

^^^ are you buying one of these cars because its faster than the other? How old are you?
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #14
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Streetracer23, do yourself a favor, don't pick a car on how fast it goes, your parents will miss you when you've killed yourself in a street race. Your friends parents will probably be sad if you kill your friends too.
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #15
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

El Xr6 by far is the better car, i had a NL that ran mid 14's, 3.7 or 3.9 diff gears and LSD will have you smashing them off the line no drama's, extractors/exhaust are the biggest gain on the I6 (bolt on) and if you wanted to go cam you will have in excess of 200RWHP no dramas.

I6 has more torque KW and is inherently smoother engine than the V6 boat anchor, has a driveline that will handle the km's alot more than the commo as well hence the reliability with taxi cabs etc. the Xr6 is a great base and far better than the S pac at least with an XR you can tell its not the base, S/SS look like an exec with a kit if u get what i mean.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #16
streetracer23

yeh thx 4 ur advice.. n abt driving fast n all im not some idiot thats gna fly down a resedential street at 200 i just want something that goes hard. iv learned my lesson the hard way losing my license and paying fines (this was from multiple 0-15kmh over limit by 1 speed camera 4 times hidden behind a tree - got notice of the first fine and by then i had done it 4 times, and 1 big fine going 42 over but on a 4 laned highway straight as a ruler with no traffic or pedestrians present - the only danger was to myself and i appreciate and take on board that risk)... i guess this is the easy way considering what u read abt in the papers re accidents while racing and the like. im not gna put myself in that situation again. dont get me wrong im not gna be mr safe driving 40 in a 60 zone but then again im not gna hoon it around i just want something thats relatively cheap, looks good, and goes hard. isnt that what every1 one this forum wants?
Old 31-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #17
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

I think I can safely say that everyone here wants you to type in a manner that's comprehensible. Paragraphs are good too!

Is this really what the education system produces these days?
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #18
McobraR
me may my mo

hehe cmon thats abit harsh now. I'm sure all of us at some time have wanted the faster and better looking car eh?
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #19
jcxr
Tribal Elder

We really do need an SMS speak filter on here.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #20
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

IT’S not that hard to read what he has typed but as some people are having difficulties here is one I made earlier:- :

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer23
Yeah thanks for your advise...... and about driving fast and all I am not some idiot that’s going to fly down a residential street at 200klms, I just want something that goes hard.

I have learned my lesson the hard way by losing my license and paying fines (this was from multiple 0-15kmh over limit by 1 speed camera 4 times hidden behind a tree - got notice of the first fine and by then I had done it 4 times, and one big fine going 42 over but on a FOUR laned highway, straight as a ruler, with no traffic or pedestrians present - the only danger was to myself and I appreciate and take on board that risk)...

I guess this is the easy way considering what you read about in the papers regarding accidents while racing and the like. I am not going to put myself in that situation again.

Don't get me wrong I am not going to be Mr. Safe driving 40 in a 60 zone but then again I am not going to hoon it around, I just want something that’s relatively cheap, looks good, and goes hard.

Isn't that what everyone on this forum wants????

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #21
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
We really do need an SMS speak filter on here.

WTF LOL yeah u mak good point m8
Old 31-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #22
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

get a vn 5 litre, some holden shirts and pull out a front tooth, then go to www.ls1.com.au

if your serious about just wanting a good looker that goes hard then get a ford, type with better english where you can and stop calling yourself "streetracer" i used to be like you, i know how hard the system can bite,

besides racing on the street is boring, there is fast cars on the strip...much more fun to race.

Last edited by Tiapan; 31-10-2007 at 03:30 PM. Reason: wrong web addy
Tiapan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #23
gngtho
Banned

The main thing is you can listen to advise and others but dont attempt anything and try to go it on the street.

i think that at one stage some of us have felt the long arm of the law regarding racing on streets, not me but i learnt from a family member doing it and let me tell you there was alot of blood involved ( NOT JOCKING)

but if you must find out for yourself get a heap of mates pay for the track and do it there.

ITs alot more fun when your racing on the track and you know your doing it the right way.
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #24
boogernissan
feza

i drove a vx supercharged commo and nearly threw up and fell asleep it was that boring,i thought great a blower but i get better blowys from elsewhere,xr would whoooooop the holden
boogernissan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #25
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
yeh thx 4 ur advice.. n abt driving fast n all im not some idiot thats gna fly down a resedential street at 200 i just want something that goes hard. iv learned my lesson the hard way losing my license and paying fines (this was from multiple 0-15kmh over limit by 1 speed camera 4 times hidden behind a tree - got notice of the first fine and by then i had done it 4 times, and 1 big fine going 42 over but on a 4 laned highway straight as a ruler with no traffic or pedestrians present - the only danger was to myself and i appreciate and take on board that risk)... i guess this is the easy way considering what u read abt in the papers re accidents while racing and the like. im not gna put myself in that situation again. dont get me wrong im not gna be mr safe driving 40 in a 60 zone but then again im not gna hoon it around i just want something thats relatively cheap, looks good, and goes hard. isnt that what every1 one this forum wants?
My brain hurts.
Old 31-10-2007, 09:51 PM   #26
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
A post that looks like an SMS, errr, no.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #27
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
. isnt that what every1 one this forum wants?

No

I want you to cut out the sms crap............
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 02:14 AM   #28
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
No
I want you to cut out the sms crap............
You understood all that , Laminge ?

Quote:
i just want something thats relatively cheap, looks good, and goes hard. isnt that what every1 one this forum wants?
That part I understood ,
No , There's people here who enjoy Restored , Modified & Stock cars . that's why there's over 30,000 members .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #29
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Sad thing is the Falcon really would be the better, even though it is 6 years older. Compare it to a AUIII XR6 like you really should and it just isn't a fair fight, sort of the equivalent of comparing a VY S Supercharged to a BA XR6 Turbo.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #30
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiapan
get a vn 5 litre, some holden shirts and pull out a front tooth, then go to www.ls1.com.au
I laughed so hard ... its now been signatur-ised.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post