Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
JayD

Default Laws to do with trailers

Hi all, I'm about to make a trip from Victoria to Queensland, and intend on towing a 6x4 trailer. Now in Vic, I just stick the same rego label on the back of the trailer and away I go. But, I believe up north, ie NSW and Qld, the trailer needs to be reg'd. Can I get away with it coz I am towing it with a Vic Reg car?? Any response would be great, as the trip is less than 2 weeks away!!

Thanks, Jay

JayD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
dogwatch2

when you say you stick the same rego label on, I take it you put on the same rego label as the car?? Do you have two rego labels? Trailers in NSW have to be registered so I don't know how you go. Ringing up the NSW RTA would be the best or your Motoring organisation to get the answer. Happy travelling. :
dogwatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in wa the trailor has to have its own rego aswell

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 12:13 AM   #4
buickman
buickman

I only put a number plate the same as the car on the back of my 6x4. I think if you have commerical items? you have to reg it in Vic. I've driven up to Canberra and back with it that way and never had a problem.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
Kryton

vic is weird with trailor laws.
there was a bit of a write up a while ago in the Drive section of the Herald Sun.
it had things like if your trailer is smaller than the width of your car and was a particular size you didnt need rego OR plates and odd things like that.
i would go see vic roads.

also, your on Vic rego, you only need to conform to Vic registration rules.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 12:18 AM   #6
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

I have a 7x5 in Vic and it needs to be registered as it's wider than the tow vehicle. Also if the trailer is a certain weight unladen, it needs rego. Not too sure about the interstate travelling though. All the best mate. Have a safe journey.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some 6x4's do not need to be registered in Victoria, but all trailers need to be registered in NSW. If you are towing from Qld to Vict and get pulled up, just explain what you are doing and you should be fine.

Have a look here.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...gistration.htm

I have a 'Exempt Trailer Plate' on my trailer (see the bottom of the Vicroads link page)
Old 31-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
BFKris

I was told by Vic Roads, that Vic is the only state where some trailers dont have to be registered...if the police pull you over in the other states with an un-registered trailer than can fine you...

Its only about $30-40 but it is a little bit of a hassel getting it done.
BFKris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No problem as long as its behind a VIC REG car,as you are only on holiday,
But after 3 months living in another state you would have to change your car rego and licence over to new state and trailer would have to be registered as well,having said that,after moving to QLD i kept my old ford registered in vic for 2 years till cops pulled me over and gave me a warning so i then did it as VIC rego was half QLD reg,
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
JayD

thanks for the responses...I reckon I'll check with the authorities to be safe.

thanks.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #11
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

better off checking with RACV as they advise travellers with up to date info if you dont trust anyone here, vic roads will give you 3 different answers if you ask 3 different branches
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post