Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
LTDHO
The one and only

Default Vic government at it again.

The latest Road safety campaign is set on stopping across train lines.

Now as this is dangerous and not the best thing to do, I am disappointed that this would be focused on. The deaths caused by people deliberately stoping on a train line is very small. However death caused by ‘inexperience’, ‘failing to obey traffic signal’ or ‘unroadworthy cars’ each exceed fatality accidents than stopping on a train line.

Why do the government insist on wasting my money than putting it towards good and safety? :

Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 09:10 AM   #2
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On talk back radio a few days ago they mentioned that they had set up a test camera across the springvale train crossing in nunawading. In the space of 2 weeks there were 5200 offenders.

Did you know its illegal to cross the tracks before the lights stop flashing even tho the barriers have gone up? I sure as hell didnt. I knew the camera was there but had no idea what it was for so I just slowed down going over the tracks. Its something like a $500 fine as well :

So I bet we will soon see cameras on every train crossing getting both people who go across the tracks when the lights are on and likely speeding while they are at it.

Not happy Jan. :
Old 11-11-2005, 09:27 AM   #3
CarBroker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Did you know its illegal to cross the tracks before the lights stop flashing even tho the barriers have gone up?
I didn't know that either. But why raise the boom gate if you're not allowed to cross? They should leave them down until the lights stop flashing in that case.

As far as 5200 offenders in 2 weeks (with no accidents or near misses, I presume): That indicates to me that the system is wrong - not the behaviour.
CarBroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
jmc-007

Im sure the next one they think of would be an **** camera so when you . You get taxed. (because of pollution)

Seriously though like where does it stop.

I hope oneday the backside falls out of the govt with the ammount of money they suck and waste !!!
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
On talk back radio a few days ago they mentioned that they had set up a test camera across the springvale train crossing in nunawading. In the space of 2 weeks there were 5200 offenders.

Did you know its illegal to cross the tracks before the lights stop flashing even tho the barriers have gone up? I sure as hell didnt. I knew the camera was there but had no idea what it was for so I just slowed down going over the tracks. Its something like a $500 fine as well :

So I bet we will soon see cameras on every train crossing getting both people who go across the tracks when the lights are on and likely speeding while they are at it.

Not happy Jan. :
Now I've been back in Sydney since 01 and I seem to remember a bracks Govt election promise to our electorate was a tunnel taking Sringvale Rd under the Whitehorse Rd intersection and the rail junction. I guess they simply forget.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 10:15 AM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Now I've been back in Sydney since 01 and I seem to remember a bracks Govt election promise to our electorate was a tunnel taking Sringvale Rd under the Whitehorse Rd intersection and the rail junction. I guess they simply forget.
They didnt forget, they just worked out that rather than spend money on saftey its easier to make money in fines.

Blood suckers.. I hope EVERYONE here remembers this next election... If Bracks was any more benign as a leader and any more greedy as a politician he'd be a friggen MUPPET!

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 10:28 AM   #7
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

There must be a way for the Bracks Government to make money out of the rail crossings issue, perhaps some safety cameras installed at the crossings. This will help! Instead of building them smarter or building barriers that cars cannot cross.

Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Blood suckers.. I hope EVERYONE here remembers this next election...
Is there any indication at all that a change of government would equal a change in policy?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #9
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Did you know its illegal to cross the tracks before the lights stop flashing even tho the barriers have gone up?
Sure did.

Red light bad. Me no accelerate when red light on.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:43 AM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Is there any indication at all that a change of government would equal a change in policy?
To some degree, yes. The opposition has made some noises about speed camera abuse.

Old 11-11-2005, 10:49 AM   #11
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
To some degree, yes. The opposition has made some noises about speed camera abuse.
I heard Doyle say they will change tolerance back to 10% instead of the Boy Bracks 3% in relation to speeding offences. But as for the cash cameras, once they are there, they will stay forever.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Yeah I did. A red light is a red light, they all mean stop! Technically Amber/Orange/Yellow does too!!

I cvan see this being another fun raiser. Not people saver!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 11-11-2005, 10:53 AM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I heard Doyle say they will change tolerance back to 10% instead of the Boy Bracks 3% in relation to speeding offences. But as for the cash cameras, once they are there, they will stay forever.
Correct, they will stay, but a 10% tolerence is a far more reasonable level than the money hungry Bracks 3kph level (which is actually less than 3% on the 110kph Hume Highway... where a cop farting could affect the hand held laser gun by more than that)

Old 11-11-2005, 10:54 AM   #14
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBroker
I didn't know that either. But why raise the boom gate if you're not allowed to cross? They should leave them down until the lights stop flashing in that case.

As far as 5200 offenders in 2 weeks (with no accidents or near misses, I presume): That indicates to me that the system is wrong - not the behaviour.
The light continues flashing as boom also presents a collision hazard. Level crossings in 2005 on major arterial roads, insanity and years of neglected infrastructure planning/expenditure.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 11:02 AM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
That intersection is possibly the worst and most congested section of road in eastern melbourne.
I still can't work out how the hell bracks got in (i don't think he knows either), he's ineffective, clueless and gutless.
He basked in the success of the flow-on effects of Jeffs good work for a long time which meant he didn't have to do anything however now that his own weak and greedy policy's are taking effect the states turning to poo again.......

Old 11-11-2005, 11:06 AM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
That intersection is possibly the worst and most congested section of road in eastern melbourne.
I still can't work out how the hell bracks got in (i don't think he knows either), he's ineffective, clueless and gutless.
He basked in the success of the flow-on effects of Jeffs good work for a long time however now that his own weak policy's are taking effect the states turning to poo again.......
Right, this is getting stupid, another thing we agree on... Dammit, I'm close to starting a T3/GT war again just to get the balance back :

Old 11-11-2005, 11:09 AM   #17
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Yeah I did. A red light is a red light, they all mean stop! Technically Amber/Orange/Yellow does too!!

I cvan see this being another fun raiser. Not people saver!!

Well there you go, I didnt think of it that way. When they start to move up I duck and go under :Reverend:
Old 11-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Right, this is getting stupid, another thing we agree on... Dammit, I'm close to starting a T3/GT war again just to get the balance back :
: see! i told you!

Bracks has the personality and charisma of an indoor plant, i like strong leaders who are prepared to put their nuts on the line to make the tough dicisions that quite often aren't popular with the drones however intelligent people can see the benifits and big picture.
Unfortunatly there are obviously too many people in victoria who have the right to vote that were feeling the pinch and can't see past their handouts, dole checks or welfare payments to care about those things.. The election where bracks got in is living proof of this....

Old 11-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #19
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
The latest Road safety campaign is set on stopping across train lines.

Now as this is dangerous and not the best thing to do, I am disappointed that this would be focused on. The deaths caused by people deliberately stoping on a train line is very small. However death caused by ‘inexperience’, ‘failing to obey traffic signal’ or ‘unroadworthy cars’ each exceed fatality accidents than stopping on a train line.

Why do the government insist on wasting my money than putting it towards good and safety? :
Where are your statistics from? I know mechanical fault (unroadworthy vehicles) is a less than 1% contributer to fatalities. If inexperience is targeted then it simply "picking on P-Platers".

The focus would seem to be off speed for a while, which is what everyone wanted, yet still we whinge?

Also, Casper, who has been pulled over and booked by a policeman (as opposed to a speed camera) for doing 3km/h over. I doubt anyone could honestly say that they had been.

I personally believe that the governmant should direct police to focus on behavioural type offences like tail-gating and driving in the right hand lane (these two offences would disappear if one was policed more). If traffic flowed more smoothly, then there would be less stupid things done on the roads and less crashes. Simple.

As far as Bracks goes, he a snake in the grass that couldn't lie straight in bed. However, have a look at the alternative? Sheesh, its the old "lesser of two evils". Doyle just comes across as straight out incompetent.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 11:36 AM   #20
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Correct, they will stay, but a 10% tolerence is a far more reasonable level than the money hungry Bracks 3kph level (which is actually less than 3% on the 110kph Hume Highway... where a cop farting could affect the hand held laser gun by more than that)
The cop farting though would not come tear **** after you I believe unless you were speeding a reasonable margin over. It is only the "safety cameras" that hit people doing 54kmph in a 50 zone etc etc.

Bracks Evasion = Driving within the speed limit of Victoria
Old 11-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #21
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
They didnt forget, they just worked out that rather than spend money on saftey its easier to make money in fines.

Blood suckers.. I hope EVERYONE here remembers this next election... If Bracks was any more benign as a leader and any more greedy as a politician he'd be a friggen MUPPET!
Did the Liberal party pay for that ad or was it a free service, Casper? :P

-=Written & Spoken by Greenmachine, authorized by K Beazley of the Labour Party=-

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose

Last edited by Sourbastard; 11-11-2005 at 11:44 AM. Reason: cause im a funny bastard
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 11:42 AM   #22
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
The cop farting though would not come tear **** after you I believe unless you were speeding a reasonable margin over. It is only the "safety cameras" that hit people doing 54kmph in a 50 zone etc etc.

Bracks Evasion = Driving within the speed limit of Victoria
Figure of speech to show the minimal amount of leeway given. Its pretty clear a human officer would not book someone going 3km over... common sense says its not relevant. Unfortunatly for us Bracks needs all the money he can get.

Bracks Evasion = Voting the Muppet out as soon as possible. Given that speedo's are ADR'ed to 10%... well, lets just say 3% probably wouldnt make it though a High Court challenge.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #23
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Did the Liberal party pay for that ad or was it a free service, Casper? :P

-=Written & Spoken by Greenmachine, authorized by K Beazley of the Labour Party=-
Nope, if it was a Liberal Govt doing it I'd be on their case just as bad. I dont like any governments.. I'm a Libertarian, not a Liberal.. big difference.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #24
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs
Where are your statistics from? I know mechanical fault (unroadworthy vehicles) is a less than 1% contributer to fatalities. If inexperience is targeted then it simply "picking on P-Platers".

The focus would seem to be off speed for a while, which is what everyone wanted, yet still we whinge?
I am in the motor industry and have this info available to me. Speed is also another minor contributor, but it is pushed onto the public as a major factor and then it is believed. This is why the average Joe supports the speed camera’s.

If you inspect the vehicles over 5 years old and involved in a motor accident you will find the majority are either unroadworthy or have unroadworthy tyres.

In experience is more than just P platers and although I feel there should be a test to get off your P’s I also know that majority of road users don’t know how to drive! They either can’t be bothered, forgot or don’t care. These people cause accidents and road rage.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #25
paul7v7
bring it on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs

Also, Casper, who has been pulled over and booked by a policeman (as opposed to a speed camera) for doing 3km/h over. I doubt anyone could honestly say that they had been.

I personally believe that the governmant should direct police to focus on behavioural type offences like tail-gating and driving in the right hand lane (these two offences would disappear if one was policed more). If traffic flowed more smoothly, then there would be less stupid things done on the roads and less crashes. Simple.

As far as Bracks goes, he a snake in the grass that couldn't lie straight in bed. However, have a look at the alternative? Sheesh, its the old "lesser of two evils". Doyle just comes across as straight out incompetent.

i agree with you on all counts. jeez i mean if they're gonna crackdown on people sitting on train lines then what is the problem? It is in the rule book to not sit on the train track, to keep them clear and yes you must not cross the track until the lights have stopped, didn't anyone read their learners book? Did anyone get any lessons? Really i don't have a problem with this, i don't sit on the tracks so really i couldn't care less what they do. I think some people need to use common sense but since it doesn't happen the government must baby us.

There is an intersection in dandenong, where the train track crosses over a road, and the amount of idiots sitting on the track OR trying to beat the boom gates or train and get stuck is a lot. Not only does it cause many accidents but most times the trains have to sit there and wait for these knob heads to move their cars. I have seen it many times in the 25yrs i have been in the area.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #26
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Back to the thread, I do believe the railway signs do say "stop on red signal", so until they stop flashing, you shouldn't move. You wouldn't jump a red light at a major interection would you?

Agreed that too many people run the gauntlet at railroad crossings.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #27
Steve D
Irregular Member

After the train has passed, it seems everone wants to get moving as soon as the boom gates have just risen enough to clear their roof - while the red wig-wag lights are still merrily flashing. If you wait for the lights to stop before moving it feels like not moving until 3 seconds after the lights have changed to green! (Everone else is off, and the menacing horn from behind is about to sound...)
*** Wheels magazine COTY 1996 ***
Steve D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2005, 07:04 PM   #28
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
: see! i told you!

Bracks has the personality and charisma of an indoor plant, i like strong leaders who are prepared to put their nuts on the line to make the tough dicisions that quite often aren't popular with the drones however intelligent people can see the benifits and big picture.
Unfortunatly there are obviously too many people in victoria who have the right to vote that were feeling the pinch and can't see past their handouts, dole checks or welfare payments to care about those things.. The election where bracks got in is living proof of this....
You should try living in NSW. We got multiple fixed speed cameras that change their limits from 60 to 40 when the school zones come in to effect. Even on school holidays these ers are still made to switch from 60-40 at various times. Not only that, but the rock spider Bob Carr has sold the china to the highest bidder, and it seems all of our roads (which haven't seen a roadcrew or been resurfaced in years), are owned by chinese and dutch consortiums who at will put tolls on them. Check these figures out.

1995 Annual State Govt revenue in NSW - 17.6 billion
1995 State Govt Salaries - 7.7 billion

2005 Annual State Govt revenue in NSW - 41.4 billion
2005 State Govt Salaries - 39.8 billion

This leaves the princely sum of 1.6 billion to fund infrastructure, hospitals, roads, transport, police, water (of which we have less than 38% left).
Plus, under Bob the Bludger we have seen the Bureacracy in NSW Quadruple in size, with hundreds drawing salaries even though they don't have a job.

With these kind of figures one can easily see why we all get shafted with fixed camera's, tolls and any other little revenue raising device that these bastards can think of. Oh, and not to mention the corruption of organising all these deals through companies like Macquarie Bank, where conveniently after retirement you manage to find a 300K+ job.

Bracks and Carr where always good mates weren't they, hopefully for Victorians Carr didn't teach him too much.

Quote: