Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
ba-xr8

Default Ford or Holden

Hey everyone. before everyone jumps to conclusions i am more interested in peoples opinions. i know this is a Ford forum and all.

recently some of the newer holden clubsport's have caught my eye to the extent that ive almost thought of maybe looking at them instead of an xr8.
is there much of a difference in power between the LS1 and the Boss 260?
the clubsport is a 6 spd manual. its called a hsv clubsport "Y"

apart from the obvious holden vs ford debate would there be any reason why i shouldnt even look at the holdens? are they decent cars compared to the BA xr8?

thanks

Old 16-11-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

I doubt that you'll get a very even answer here. If you must, go test one and see for yourself. But i've said it before and i'll say it again, you can't beat the technical superiority of the XR8's engine/suspension and gearbox when comparing to a commode.

pushrod 2valve per cyclinder 60's tech engine vs 4valve quad over head cams boss engine?

If you want old technology, then shouldn't you also be using a typewriter, not a computer on the internet?
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
Old 16-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
ba-xr8

ok cool. im not overly technical minded when it comes to cars to be honest. im more curious than anything. thanks
Old 16-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
Valknutr

I test drove a SV6 and an MKII XR6 to help my dad choose a car and we ended up getting the SV6, god damn its a quite car even at Xkm/h....
Old 16-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter
I doubt that you'll get a very even answer here. If you must, go test one and see for yourself. But i've said it before and i'll say it again, you can't beat the technical superiority of the XR8's engine/suspension and gearbox when comparing to a commode.

pushrod 2valve per cyclinder 60's tech engine vs 4valve quad over head cams boss engine?

If you want old technology, then shouldn't you also be using a typewriter, not a computer on the internet?

And yet compare the Qtr Mile Times and I am sure you will find the HSV is just slightly quicker, also Mods for the LS1 are plentiful, and with minimum spending or modification you could have yourself a 300rwkw machine easily, compared to the Boss which will be expensive and still end up being a slug. They are both nice cars, it will depend upon what you are after, resale you should find that a well maintained HSV will keep its value a little better than your everyday run of the mill XR8, so all in all it should boil down to Personal Choice and style, not so much the same old boring line about Ford/Holden blah blah blah...Sure the XR8 might be a bit better refined, but me personally would go for the true and sheer driving pleasure of a REAL performance vehicle, rather than a PIMPED up Falcon.....(puts on Flame suit about NOW).

Both great cars, take them for an extended Test Drive and see which you feel you would prefer driving on a regular basis....

Craig
Old 16-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valknutr
I test drove a SV6 and an MKII XR6 to help my dad choose a car and we ended up getting the SV6, god damn its a quite car even at Xkm/h....
Sorry this is O/T but i don't get this. I mean, i drive commodes all the time through work, and even when they are brand new, the V6 commode engine doesn't have a stich on the BA 6cyc. Drive both, they v6 simply does not compare for torque, and grunt. To get anything from the v6 you have to rev this ring out of the poor thing, and heaven help you if you have the dog box automatic behind it.
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
Old 16-11-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

For the Mercy of Abraham , why start or contribute in these moronic go nowhere bun fight threads!!

Padlock Please !!!!!
Old 16-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #8
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pushrods and OHC were invented around the same time.
Old 16-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter

DOHC has been around just as long as the pushrod, so the old vs technology isnt really a debate

Depends what you want out of it...speed = holden, refinement = falcon and both will be argued to the teeth

Test drive both and decide for yourself but keep in mind if you after a fast car its cheap and easy to modify the commodore compared to the Boss...pluss the Boss is heavier...depends on what you like i guess, have a drive of them, and a real spirited drive, not a lap around the block....give them both hell and come back to us :
Old 16-11-2005, 03:39 PM   #10
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Heh. Not again. Thread Closed.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Closed Thread