Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Contemplating a Motor Bike Purchase

Hey All,

Just wondering howmany people here own a Motor Bike?

The reason I am thinking of buying one is that uni is only a 5-10 minute drive away and it would make sense (to me anyway) to get a bike for the monday-friday stuff, and then on the weekend I would have my car.

I was wondering, other than the purchase of the bike, what the costs are?

Stuff like rego, licence, servicing, clothes/helmet etc etc, I just want an idea of what I might get myself into.

I would also get a bonus of saving ~$15 a week on parking at uni.

The only downside I can see is winter, that would be a bugger and I guess I would only ride it if weather permitted.

Just really curious, all opinions welcome!

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
big_waity
Windsor Man!

ask Kaytonk what it feels like to not walk after riding your bike at 60 clicks into a grandad that is uncertain of the meaning of the word "STOP". I personally like motorbikes, I'm just not a fan of being a crumple zone.
Old 18-11-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Been there, done that, have the scars to prove it.

Do it while you're young - chicks dig scars!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 01:21 PM   #4
harpsta
I6 LICKS

been there, done that, I'm still young and lucky to be alive. The scars are pretty cool though! I love bikes but at the moment I can't convince myself to get on another one, I still concider it every now and then, but having been in an accident kinda changes your opinion a lot! I also recently had a mate who died on the GOR on his bike.

Having said that, I have family members that have been riding all thier lives, and are now old and never saw the tarmac. Have you done much riding before? If not, don't even think about learning in a built up areas, traffic is unpredictable. Get out to the county, get a dirt bike, have some stacks and learn some skills before you tackle the traffic.
harpsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 01:55 PM   #5
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Totally agree with Harpsta...

read this too...: http://bogandiaries.blogspot.com/200...wo-wheels.html

Not trying to put you off, just opening your eyes.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 18-11-2005, 02:03 PM   #6
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Totally agree with Harpsta...

read this too...: http://bogandiaries.blogspot.com/200...wo-wheels.html

Not trying to put you off, just opening your eyes.
Thats a top read. Sad story.
Old 18-11-2005, 02:03 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

um about 6 years ago I used to ride like twice a month...at a mates house, I was no demon but I could keep it up.

Granted I have little experience, but is it like riding a pushy, once you learn you keep it? I live in Geelong, and where I intend to do most of the riding is not through the centre, its in Belmont to Deakin.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Yeah, harpsta nailed it in one. If you really want to persist then I'd recommend buying a dirt bike that can be fully registered, and starting off with a few trips to the country. I can help you out with that ;)

Costs wise..... Licence/Training $210, gear $500 min, maintenance (more $$$'s then you would imagine), and initial outlay..... depends on the bike you go for. You'll surpass $4k before you've started. Also keep in mind 250cc is the limit on your L's (a good thing anyway).
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #9
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Yeah, rego'd dirt bike works well for learning - the offroad experience is invaluable.

There's another school of thought that says you should get a CB250 or a 250cc Yamaharley Virago, because they're low and slow and easy to handle and you won't drop them at traffic lights if you've got short legs like me and can't handle a fullsize dirtbike. Ahem.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 18-11-2005, 02:16 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

lol at dropping the bike at the lights, I dont think I have done anything like that before.

Hmm...looks like it could be a little more costly than I first thought. Its something I have always wanted to try, something about it that I cant put my finger on.

250cc is heaps, its just transport really so it doesn't phase me. The bikes in the $3000-4000 range, are they POS or half decent?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #11
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Well it was oily and the bike was top heavy and I had leather soled shoes and the chick in the Barina laughed at me and it was a generally very disturbing experience. Especially given it was a mate's brand new WR650 :(

Plenty of CBR/CB road bikes out there for that sort of money, VFR250's etc... You'd be hard pressed getting a XR250 chook chaser for that kind of money, from what i recall... 250's hold their value really well because everyone needs to buy one to start with - a bit of a captive market.

*note: that could all be bollocks... It's been at least 4 years since I last looked at bike prices.

The option exists to get your 250 licence and go out the next week and buy a 750 and hope you don't get caught. Hundreds and hundreds of people do this.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 18-11-2005, 02:27 PM   #12
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Just wondering howmany people here own a Motor Bike?
Me!

Quote:
I was wondering, other than the purchase of the bike, what the costs are?

Stuff like rego, licence, servicing, clothes/helmet etc etc, I just want an idea of what I might get myself into.
Ive got a CBR 250, Ive had it for just over a year and ride it to work in the city everyday from Bayswater. Its about 70kms a day.

Rego is $360 odd. I just got my renewal letter the other day.
I just wear a good jacket, gloves and a helmet when I ride. The jacket $400 and is a fabric one. The helmet was $350 IIRC and the gloves I stole off a mate :P They are usually $100 +

Ive had 1 stack where a car cut me off of maroondah hwy and when I did a headcheck so I could go around she slammed on her brakes. I clipped the side of her car and went down the road at 80km/hr. I had a sore shoulder, hip and thumb for a while along with a badly grazed knee. I was wearing sturdy jeans and they didnt rip.

Quote:
The only downside I can see is winter, that would be a bugger and I guess I would only ride it if weather permitted.

Just really curious, all opinions welcome!
I ridden all year minus about 5 days where it has been raining at the time I would leave the house. I have gotten caught it the rain a few times on the way home but its no big deal. Winter gets a bit chilly but I wear jeans and a jacket with trackies and jumper underneath with 2 pairs of socks and its bareable.

If your careful you will be okay, its the others you have to watch out for. Just always be aware and try not to be in a hurry everytime you ride and you will be sweet.

I ride 280 kms a week and fill up usually once a week for around $15. Its much cheaper than getting the train in to work plus you dont have to wait for anyone or put up sitting next to people with BO.

Servicing is just like the car. Change the oil, filter, spark plugs and your away. They cost the same as car bits. You have to change the chain and sprockets when they wear out which is around $220 all up for my bike.
Ive only done it once cos the chain that came with the bike was rusted.

Get a bike without fairings as they are painful on the wallet to replace.

When I crashed I had an earthing issue for a few weeks that I had to get someone else to fix but other than that the bike is ultra reliable and cheap!
Old 18-11-2005, 02:29 PM   #13
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PS. I got my bike on the road for $2200.

If your going to do a lot of K's on the freeway I wouldnt go a dirt bike.

Old 18-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

ah dirt bike dont do anything for me...but thats alot of good info thanks Dan!

And that bike looks awesome! That would be exactly like something I would want.

Actually, this guy at work is selling a Suzuki RGV 250, with 14,800kms for $3600ono. Its looks similar to that CBR.

Hmm I am warming up to the idea! I literally only want to ride say 20k's each day, but itsthat stop start crap that ends up costing me heaps in my car (car might be getting swap next year anyway).

Man my mum and gf is going to be ****ed...lol..maybe Ill do a deal, if the gf stops smoking I wont get a bike.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #15
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People call RGV's random grenade vehicles.

They are a 2 stroke, they need more maintenance. I wouldnt want one for a daily. You have to add oil to the petrol tank regulary, they stink etc. They are great fun as a dirt bike tho!

I didnt tell my parents. I bought it, stashed it at a mates house until we got it roadworthy then I registered it and bought it home, they were ****ed but they get over it.
Old 18-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #16
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
/me hides and waits for Gammaboy to come to Suzuki's defence...

Statistically, smoking is more dangerous than riding a bike. There's your justification right there!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 18-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

They are a 2 stroke, they need more maintenance. I wouldnt want one for a daily. You have to add oil to the petrol tank regulary, they stink etc. They are great fun as a dirt bike tho!

I didnt tell my parents. I bought it, stashed it at a mates house until we got it roadworthy then I registered it and bought it home, they were ****ed but they get over it.
lol..Ill steer clear then.

See 2 stroke/4 stroke means little to me at the moment, thats how poor my knowledge is. Ill have to do some research before getting t ahead of myself I guess.

If I recall Dan, did you buy that bike with some issue and then fix it up? So that $2200 was with the repairs done?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-11-2005, 03:04 PM   #18
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Yea costs for a motorcycle are more than most people realize. They're pretty efficient though, but if you hang it like Rossi, expect to get 10L+ p/100km out of a 250, more with a larger bike

2 stroke motorcycles sound like brushcutters and are followed by a plume of black smoke, but you get more power from it than a similar capacity 4-stroke. Old 250's are usually two-cylinders(?) and sound like farts, newer ones four-cylinders and sound like electric mixers. You can park bikes anywhere, and traffic isn't a problem, but for 5-10min trips, you might be better off with a bicycle
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #19
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
lol..Ill steer clear then.

See 2 stroke/4 stroke means little to me at the moment, thats how poor my knowledge is. Ill have to do some research before getting t ahead of myself I guess.

If I recall Dan, did you buy that bike with some issue and then fix it up? So that $2200 was with the repairs done?

Yep I bought it with a engine in bits for $1000, I put an engine in it for $800 and a few hours work, a battery for $70, then registered it.

2 strokes give more power for the same capacity but are said to be more unreliable and in need of maintenance more often.

The petrol and oil is mixed together and travels around the cylinders to cool/lubricate the engine. A valve will open allowing the mixture to enter the compression chamber and it ignites and whatever doesnt ignite goes out the exhaust. Oil doesnt ignite that well so it spews out the exhaust and smells like blowby.
Old 18-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #20
gozza

hehehe i been looking at bikes lately...dad and mum are a bit dubious lol...
checked out a yamaha zeal 250 with 10,000.....$5grand
Aprilla 250...not sure how many k's...think was $7 odd thousand
and the one i really want...yamaha TR250.....10 thousand k's...2 stroke
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #21
Valknutr

the bigest hurdle is always the girlfriend..... I tried to convince my ex to get one but man she just wouldnt budge, but now she is out of the picture.... oh ive been told never get less than a 250 otherwise if there is a strong headwind you wont move!!!!
Old 18-11-2005, 04:10 PM   #22
gozza

i guess im lucky my girlfriend wants to get one....shes really keen on learning to ride
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 04:18 PM   #23
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I have been riding road bikes for 11 years, the only reason i am still here is luck, cars try to kill you every day, bikes are safe enough, it's the car drivers that don't look at intersections or use mirrors that will bring you unstuck, i only ride weekends, i don't think i could ever commute peak traffic on a bike, it's just to risky.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 04:34 PM   #24
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggoggs
2 stroke motorcycles sound like brushcutters and are followed by a plume of black smoke, but you get more power from it than a similar capacity 4-stroke. Old 250's are usually two-cylinders(?) and sound like farts, newer ones four-cylinders and sound like electric mixers
What?!?!?!? 2-stroke's sound like brush cutters and leave behind black smoke? Do you even have a clue? ANY bike blowing black smoke is sick, VERY sick. 2-strokes will only blow white smoke, and only when cold and not all that much anyway.

Firstly note my experience is with dirt bikes, but the same principles apply. As far as reliablitity and maintenance goes between 2 / 4 stroke, they are essentially equal over the long-term.

A 2-stroke will get top-end rebuilds of the motor constantly (piston, rings, gaskets) and be considered maintenance, and will require a complete rebuild about as regularly as a 4-stroke. 2-strokes are far cheaper to rebuild due to their simplicity.

A 4-stroke will provide a long stretch of only basic maintence including only plugs, etc., but when it comes time to rebuild, it will need the works and costs a LOT more then a 2-stroke.

I hope to buy a roadie soon, but I need to save and the car seems to stop me from that
Old 18-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #25
HOON69
Banned

i'd recommend ebay mate for a bike
i'd be getting a cheap 250 really if its just for uni etc and not a every day use type vehicle then i'd get a cheap one
1)if you come a gutsa its just not as bad as coming off a 4-5k bike
2)its doing the same job you cant go over the speed limit and they do the same thing really..

i've come a gutsa off every bike i've ridden not through lack of knowledge just through pushing to hard to quickly with learning a new bike..

i just bought me a TZR250 2 stroke yamahe got it locally but off ebay great first bike and good learners bike.
below is my bike bought it yesterday
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #26
Gubas
- BOOYEH -

There are two types of motorcycle riders.
1)The ones who have fallen off, and
2)The ones who are gonna fall off. I am the one that fits in the first catagory.

Great fun though. I had a dirt bike. Had some pretty big stacks, but with the right riding gear, you can protect yourself pretty well.
Old 18-11-2005, 05:03 PM   #27
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dirt bike stacks shouldnt count :P
Old 18-11-2005, 05:04 PM   #28
Gubas
- BOOYEH -

Road bikes???? nah,

Get one of these.
Old 18-11-2005, 05:04 PM   #29
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its only a 5 -10 minute drive in a car how many K's is it? Might be better off with a pushy or something.
Old 18-11-2005, 05:08 PM   #30
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Dirt bike stacks shouldnt count :P
Why not???