Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default True STreet Ot not???

SO whos cars that get put up as the fastest are real TRUE street.. I mean bu TRUE street , Headilights intact, Dunlops (Or Equvilant rated road Tyres) Cats on, Seats in. Then do one for cars who have Super chargers, different tyres..... I think its only fair as alot of ppl do this racing for FUN not for persoanl or business gain?

Silhouette FG F6 Xtreme Ford Tuning spec, Power so far 1100+RWHP

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

FG GS Miami/Coyote Ute Auto. XFT Xtreme 5.0 Coyote package 10.84 stock blower.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

BIG MICK ET:12.17 jack and spare tyre in the boot, i seen it in there because he got a flat at Calder in thr front tyre..sp3000 all 4 tyres..the only thing Mick takes off is his number plates..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
BIG MICK ET:12.17 jack and spare tyre in the boot, i seen it in there because he got a flat at Calder in thr front tyre..sp3000 all 4 tyres..the only thing Mick takes off is his number plates..

haha thats fkn awsome... SO thats a turbo car... SO what u need is, N/A 6. Turbo 6, N/A Boss, S/C Boss. I mean done correctly this could give the guys a good area to look at and set there goals to... Done correctly instead of ppl feeling discorridged cos they cant afford the aftermarket tyres, they can compete on even playing fields... Makes sence doesn it?

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Old 08-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

We all try and do our Best, do the best we can with what we have got.
Big Mick has a xr6t with aps stage 2 kit, xdreaming dean has run 11.71 stage 3 not sure of his tyres.
With people not being able to get good tyres at a good price, leave it with me, i will post some info some time today, where you can get good rubber for $300 a pair.
Get 2 guy's togther share the costs..

Old 08-02-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
wrx365
FPV GT 0169

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
haha thats fkn awsome... SO thats a turbo car... SO what u need is, N/A 6. Turbo 6, N/A Boss, S/C Boss. I mean done correctly this could give the guys a good area to look at and set there goals to... Done correctly instead of ppl feeling discorridged cos they cant afford the aftermarket tyres, they can compete on even playing fields... Makes sence doesn it?
Totally agree with you on having different categories.....I would also include a stock standard category as quarter mile times are also a reflection of the drivers abilities.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #6
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do it for fun and as a hobby. I wished I was doing it for business/personal gain! I wouldn't be so broke.

Brenden

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To kepe on the type track ( pun intended !! ) I would think True Street would involve tyres ADR approved ( ie: a AU speed rating). Nothing less.
As GTP330 said, everything there and bolted in. I am not too anal about spare tyres and jacks as the difference between my weight and some other people's would be more than the spare Also, the track is prepped like you would never find on the street. That means it'll never be a true representation in then end
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 06:30 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I would class a true steet car as having all body panels, headlights etc intact, cats and a full exhaust, tyres that are classed as street legal acceptable and no interior bits removed. Spare tyres and jacks etc can be removed as I think it is unreasonable to be expected to carry them when they are dead weight, and can be placed in someone elses car when racing and re-installed at the end of the night for the drive home.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #9
rodderz

All my runs were were true street except the slip i posted where i used nitto's and got the 2.01 60' but it bogged down after that.... and as i said got the same time on another run the week before on the dunlops 2.1 60'

Every time else ran the dunlops wiuth 38psi in them, but the spare tyre was taken out, only because the chain lifting mechanism under the tray was buggered and couldnt get it back in...scrutineers require you to remove all loose objects from the tray before racing. But it's back on now..and will stay there!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 08:46 PM   #10
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Talking Drags

I can be honest and say that my best time was acheived with only 3lbs of air removed from the rear tyres(27lb), also the spare was removed. I'm thinking I crapped earlier in the day but I'm not 100% sure..... All else was standard, am I missing out on something here?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:06 PM   #11
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Question Drags

Hello guys,
Just another comment, I'm full of it tonight. For example, category BA XR8 Bolt On Mods for drag times. We should just comment on whether it is a manual or auto, also mention which mods we have bolted on, IE CAI, underdrives ETC. Another category would be BA XR8 Modified, this would include opened engines and forced induction. It's hard to compare apples with apples, maybe this way we can gauge which direction to head towards.

Last edited by PhantomXR8; 08-02-2005 at 09:12 PM.
PhantomXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #12
SpoolMan

Had a chat with someone from the LS1 forums.(VX8255)
There formula goes like this, any Bolt on is the same category they allow drag radials as long as there street legal, they also allow valve spring change.(don’t agree with that one)
He also added if your serious about a decent time then don’t bother with street rubber you will never get the best out of your car...you will light up the tyres every time trying to get a good 60 foot...(Jeff you’re the one exception)
We have to look to see what there doing, a 60 foot will tell the time, they rip great 60 footers 1.7 ,1.8 the norm for a 12 sec pass, you will need tyres if you are going to start making an assault on 12 sec pass.
Craig take your 13.5 with a 60 foot 2.05, to get that down to a 13.2 like Kev, your going to need Drag Radials, you need that 1.8, 60 footer.
It’s going to be the same formula for all off us, we have to get 60 foot times down to improve our ET’s.
People say they are to expensive and they are, we need to look at what we spend on other Mods its part of the cars combination, Tyres play a major in Drag racing.
Mad Kiwi (simon) ran 12.9’s on streets, tried 2 or 3 meetings with M/T street approved drag radials 12.3. Finally got the best out of his car with bolt ons.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:10 PM   #13
SpoolMan

www.bigtyre.com.au do drag rubber on to your street tyre cases, very sticky around $150 for 17's delivered great value...
they can do 15, 16, 17, 18...
from there site.
Dragster - Soft racing compound provides excellent grip, using either regular car tyres, so Lower your times, and save more than 50% compared to new tyre prices.
Big Tyre offers a range of tread patterns and rubber compounds for competitive motorsport applications including drag, speedway and rally tyres. We have three different rubber compounds:
Racing - for use on drag strips or when maximum grip is required (clay speedway tracks or bitumen racing). This compound is soft and sticky, but not so soft that it would fall off the tyres.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:11 PM   #14
rodderz

It is the next step mark, a by product of having more kw's is more wheelspin too

I'm reasonably happy with my gearshifts etc but the launch is the big area that decides the great ET..... on streets you wouldnt get any better than 1.90 from Jeff....to go quicker you would either rip off a pearler or you would go to drag radials or better....

The only way to take off faster than that is to launch harder, and street tyres just wont hold at a 3500rpm takeoff trying to get into the 1.80 60' times
Old 08-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #15
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Talking Drags

I'm listening Mark, maybe I now need to start spending....
Old 08-02-2005, 10:16 PM   #16
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Thumbs up Hello

G'day Rod,
Good to finally see that beast(avatar) of your's. Marks, where's yours?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:21 PM   #17
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Talking

Quote:
Had a chat with someone from the LS1 forums.(VX8255)
There formula goes like this, any Bolt on is the same category they allow drag radials as long as there street legal, they also allow valve spring change.(don’t agree with that one)
He also added if your serious about a decent time then don’t bother with street rubber you will never get the best out of your car...you will light up the tyres every time trying to get a good 60 foot...(Jeff you’re the one exception)
We have to look to see what there doing, a 60 foot will tell the time, they rip great 60 footers 1.7 ,1.8 the norm for a 12 sec pass, you will need tyres if you are going to start making an assault on 12 sec pass.
Craig take your 13.5 with a 60 foot 2.05, to get that down to a 13.2 like Kev, your going to need Drag Radials, you need that 1.8, 60 footer.
It’s going to be the same formula for all off us, we have to get 60 foot times down to improve our ET’s.
People say they are to expensive and they are, we need to look at what we spend on other Mods its part of the cars combination, Tyres play a major in Drag racing.
Mad Kiwi (simon) ran 12.9’s on streets, tried 2 or 3 meetings with M/T street approved drag radials 12.3. Finally got the best out of his car with bolt ons.
Yep, big HP/torque in a heavy car with relatively skinny/unsticky tyres means one thing.....smoke!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:22 PM   #18
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomXR8
I'm listening Mark, maybe I now need to start spending....
Craig how much more of the line could you give your car IF you didnt have to worry about wheel spin?
i mean REVS.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:22 PM   #19
rodderz

Quote:
G'day Rod,
Good to finally see that beast(avatar) of your's. Marks, where's yours?
Thanks mate

Good to see your car pulling good times too!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #20
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Thumbs up

Quote:
Craig how much more of the line could you give your car IF you didnt have to worry about wheel spin?
i mean REVS.
My first outing with 40PSI or so was all about wheelspin. I haven't quite discovered the limits of adhesion since I lowered the pressures to 27lb. Only has 3 runs and like I said it kept bogging down. On the next outing I'll try a few more revs(3000rpm) and drop pressures to see if I can break into a bit of wheelspin, then go from there. I can see that the sticky tyres will come, I'm a little too early for them, if you know what I mean.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:32 PM   #21
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you guys give me a couple of days ill put something up for opinions. Ill run it by Minge ect aswell.. Then if the powers that be agree.. maybe you guys can vote on it.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:38 PM   #22
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Talking

Quote:
If you guys give me a couple of days ill put something up for opinions. Ill run it by Minge ect aswell.. Then if the powers that be agree.. maybe you guys can vote on it.
Sounds good. Will be in touch.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:38 PM   #23
SpoolMan

Quote:
I can see that the sticky tyres will come, I'm a little too early for them, if you know what I mean.
Yes Craig, there is so much to get right and you only get 13 seconds to do it..lol..
Quote:
Your a member, your imput and everyones is welcome...Go for it, I would say try and keep it simple...

Old 09-02-2005, 12:31 AM   #24
MaD_KiWi
Happy as Larry

yes, i went from a 12.9 to a 12.3 with just sticky DOT tyres and a diff. no mph difference just 60'

Simon
MaD_KiWi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #25
xbcoupe302
formerly xbwgn

my 13.2 was done on retreads but smashed uni and couldnt race again last time the unis r hard enuff to get in dandy sometimes let alone bendigo

weekend driver XB COUPE

daily driver ZH FAIRLANE

project cars V8 XB WAGON
V8 WINDSOR POWERED BLUEBIRD WAGON

wrecking v8 XD WAGON
xbcoupe302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 06:05 PM   #26
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbcoupe302
my 13.2 was done on retreads but smashed uni and couldnt race again last time the unis r hard enuff to get in dandy sometimes let alone bendigo
Ah uni's what fun.

Brenden

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 06:28 PM   #27
xbcoupe302
formerly xbwgn

make sure u bring some spare ones for me brenden next time

weekend driver XB COUPE

daily driver ZH FAIRLANE

project cars V8 XB WAGON
V8 WINDSOR POWERED BLUEBIRD WAGON

wrecking v8 XD WAGON
xbcoupe302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 04:59 PM   #28
geea
Turbo God

I class my car as true street trim. I used to run the factory Dunlop 3000A's and had a best ET of 11.999. This was with half a tank of fuel, nothing removed from car and sometimes i even carried the baby seat. The only thing i added was an octane booster. I now use Nitto's they are a street legal tyre and i have driven from Pottsville to Willowbank and back on them whilst i was up there on holidays to go racing. If i could get the Nitto's in 19's i would use them on the road on a daily basis. On the Nitto's the best is 11.62. The main benefit of using the Nitto's is traction of the line. They have dropped my 60' from a best in this car of 2.03 to a best now of 1.80. One of the benefits i get from using the Xede piggyback is that i can have muliple maps. This means that the car doesn't need to be in a high state of tune continually. At the flick of a switch i can go from 265rwkw's to 328rwkw's. This is what makes the car so good.

Geea.

RIP BOOF 28/02/03-20/08/04 12.24@115.38mph
.....HPF.....
geea is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 11:35 PM   #29
SpoolMan

Hi Geea, good stuff you must be OFR's fastest street car now, the nitto's are a good thing, in resent times we seen people whining because others used street drag radials, people are starting to learn in drag racing you need good rubber to get the best out of your car.
You can see Ls1 land very few cars run at the track with ordinary street rubber..

Old 11-02-2005, 03:30 AM   #30
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi Geea, good stuff you must be OFR's fastest street car now, the nitto's are a good thing, in resent times we seen people whining because others used street drag radials, people are starting to learn in drag racing you need good rubber to get the best out of your car.
You can see Ls1 land very few cars run at the track with ordinary street rubber..
Mark, Your a moderator mate, dont think you should really be calling forum users whinners because they dont consider aftermarket tyres to be an orignal tyre to compare times with?

I agree you need good rubber to run hard, Doesnt mean everybody wants to do it.