Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-05-2016, 11:44 PM   #1
Fairlane Al

Default AU Fairlane/LTD memory mirror replacement

Does anyone know if I can replace the side mirrors from an AU Fairlane with the memory module with mirrors out of a BA with memory? I tried regular AU mirrors, they didn't work and wanted to keep moving around by themselves, I don't fancy my chances at buying a set of mirrors out of an AU to suit the memory bit without selling organs on the black market, but I'm sure I can find mirrors out of a BA easy enough.

I know the BA has the extra 2 wires on the passenger side for the climate control sensor so it may not be a straight swap but if I replace the plugs with my AU plugs will they work still?
Fairlane Al is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2016, 11:48 PM   #2
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU Fairlane/LTD memory mirror replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane Al View Post
Does anyone know if I can replace the side mirrors from an AU Fairlane with the memory module with mirrors out of a BA with memory? I tried regular AU mirrors, they didn't work and wanted to keep moving around by themselves, I don't fancy my chances at buying a set of mirrors out of an AU to suit the memory bit without selling organs on the black market, but I'm sure I can find mirrors out of a BA easy enough.

I know the BA has the extra 2 wires on the passenger side for the climate control sensor so it may not be a straight swap but if I replace the plugs with my AU plugs will they work still?
id definitely give that a go, nothing to lose!
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 12:07 AM   #3
Fairlane Al

Well, except the money spent on buying the mirror I guess. Oh well hasn't stopped me before, and it's not going to be the biggest rewiring project I've taken on yet...
Fairlane Al is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane Al View Post

Hi mate,
How many pins per side from the mem module?
How many pins from each AU Mirror?

I assume the memory mirrors use a servo type system (position feedback).

I can't be sure, but I think the AU mirrors (plain dc motors) were just moving around continuously because the BA mem module was looking for a position feedback signal from them.

I was thinking about replacing the 2 motors in my passenger mirror with tiny RC servo motors and rig up a cheap microcontroller to automatically dip the mirror when in reverse (to help avoid gutter rash hehe).
Then again, its cheaper to mount a small camera under the mirror and switch the reversing monitor.

Cheers,
Andrew.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Been there and done that.
It doesn't work.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
bonny
Starter Motor

follow
bonny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

According to what I can see, Non memory should plug and play with AU one's, but the memory ones won't.

You need to change one of the pins in the connector.
Looking the the 4 pin connector on the mirror, the BA one should have 1 pin on the Right side, up the top. AU's it's on the bottom.

Anyone able to confirm?

Last edited by superroo; 10-05-2016 at 10:51 AM.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post