Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
krzysiek

Default Can anyone recommend a good first car for a young female driver - Up to $9K

Hi everyone,

A friend is looking at buying a first car. She is young and on her P plates. The ideal car is a small one that is cheap to run - you know the type.

She has around $9K to spend on it. Do you guys have any ideas on a good, reliable and fuel efficient car that can be had for that price?

We're looking at a 4 cylinder of some sort and the rest is really in the open. Please say what you recommend and I will look in to it. I have no idea when it comes to small cars!

Thanks, really appreciate any input!

Old 24-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Can anyone recommend a good first car for a young female driver - Up to $9K

A VN commo that is slapped on its back. Only joking.

I would say a corolla, yaris or a swift.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Can anyone recommend a good first car for a young female driver - Up to $9K

Can't go wrong with a corolla

Even a later Hyundai isn't a bad car any more

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 24-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Late model Hyundai, Corollas great but overpriced, Suzuki Swift.

Or save $ and get a 1.5 Festiva from the late 90s, can't kill em
Old 24-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Struggo

Hyundai Getz

http://www.carsguide.com.au/buy-a-ca...searchOffset=0

Hyundai Accent

Mazda 3

Old 24-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anything on LPG will be the cheapest to run fuel wise.
Old 24-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought my daughter a 2004 Ford Fiesta and both of us have been happy. Very solid on the road for the size of vehicle and 4 star for me, small, economical & manual for her.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
Old 24-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

Magna. No jokes please, I have had two Magnas over 12 years, the second on dual fuel for 8 years now, and neither have missed a beat. Much underrated cars.
Old 24-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Yaris
Old 24-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
GA_0009
Restoration Garage

I might get punished for this.. FORD Laser or fiesta?
1975 XB Falcon Sedan
4 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Corolla, easy to maintain, repairs arent to much, punchy motor in a manual if you ever need to get up n go.
Lowered, 5 spoke 18s and they look sexy as hell in a hatch
Old 24-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As said earlier Magnas are great cars, very robust, safe and can be had for way less than 9k. I wouldn't go for a Camry because the build quality is worse than Magna, based on the Camrys I have driven.

Hyundai Getz are great zippy little cars that are cheap but don't do that well in safety so maybe a Corolla, Pulsar or Fiesta. Any small/midsize 4 cylinder car with a Japanese badge on it should do just fine, I'd avoid the European makes. And don't let her buy a Commodore or a Falcon.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Toyotas have a great reputation for relibility and economically cheap to run....

The Toyota I'd tend to steer away from is the SV21 and the first model Camry (can't remember the model)....

Good luck with the hunt

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 24-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
bingoTE50
Steve

Subaru Liberty , Mazda 3 are just in that price range with higher k's , ours has 175k and still great. Hyundai Getz are good in 1.6 , late model have ABS,stability and traction control with bluetooth ,usb .
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Early to mid 2000s Hyundai Getz, Accent, or Elantra. Have worked on these cars for years and they provide excellent value for money, and are very reliable. Theses cars are also very well equipped and cheap to maintain.

Cars like Toyotas and Hondas are of course very good also, but because of there excellent resale 9k may not be enough to get one under 10 years old with low kms good sv history.
Old 24-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

IFFF you can stretch the budget to have stability control with front, side airbags ..
Subaru where one of the first to have these features..
Get all the protection you can !!! Second hand cars can be overpriced for what you can get new these days ..At Least have a look Korean cars are o/k except for what G.M sell...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mazda 3 pushes all the right buttons and as a bonus, females seem to love them.
6 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #18
Struggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogInASock View Post
Magna. No jokes please, I have had two Magnas over 12 years, the second on dual fuel for 8 years now, and neither have missed a beat. Much underrated cars.
Agree, best Aussie made car until the FG arrived,

http://www.carsales.com.au/car/dealer/MITSUBISHI/MAGNA
Old 24-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

from my personal observations, some small cars can actually feel bigger than an suv
because of how high you sit and the great visibility, our rav4 feels smaller than a corolla and a yaris of the same vintage
the yaris in particular did not impress me because of how far back you seem to sit and how long and low the bonnet is. for a new driver, trying to park that in a full car park would not be much fun

i am not suggesting that she look at a rav4, but maybe check out everything from small to large cars in the price range. for sure, fuel usage is an issue, but she needs to be comfortable seeing out of it too and sometimes a small car does not feel that small from the inside
Old 24-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

My BA Falcon with 105000k on it ! $8000.

Good strong, safe car and easy, cheap to fix !
Old 24-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #21
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Ford Laser.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #22
Tommie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem soon for me too. Am thinking of a good ol Bronco for each of my girls. But in reality am thinking a newish Camry with airbags. They seem to be reasonably cheap and should be trouble free..
Old 24-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #23
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll have to sift out Protons and Chery's, and insert your state, but this isn't a bad start.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...00&sort=~Price

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
Old 24-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #24
Itsme
Experienced Member

Ford laser (KN or KQ models) or Mazda Protege...... Very reliable cars.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I'm gonna say Honda Jazz - fastest NA in its class with the 1.5L VTEC, best fuel economy, reliability, nice interior, timing chain motor.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #26
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
I'm gonna say Honda Jazz - fastest NA in its class with the 1.5L VTEC, best fuel economy, reliability, nice interior, timing chain motor.
I have a friend with a newer one of these, around 3-4 years old. And yes they go very hard for a small car.
But the big "BUT" is they cost a lot when you need to service or do repairs on them. Even something as simple as the battery must be swapped at a dealership, it has to be done a particular way or it can cause catastrophic mechanical issues.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

So many good options and choices out there on the 2nd hand market.
We really are spoilt for choice now when it comes to quality vehicles ... never used to be like this really.

So many options.

Get a short list .... and then "let her" drive them and see which one feels the best to her .... it's better that she feels comfortable dricing the car in the first place ... gives that little bit more confidence when driving.
Old 24-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You can pick up 2009 WS Fiestas for around $9K now, great first car.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #29
4stanger