Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 29-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Robbielee1991

Default Going for my p's....help!

Hi all,

On Wednesday at 3.30pm I've booked for my p's in Melton, Victroria. What I've come to ask for is a map of Melton with the route marked out for study lol.

Could this be possible if anyone remembers or could help me find relative information online? Nervous as ****!

Old 29-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
robbyj
Rob

Default Re: Going for my p's....help!

I'm not from melbourne and i did my p's here in my small country town. They generally have a few different routes they take, depending on whether they are getting you to do a parallel park or 3 point turn as part of the major assessment bit.

I was a confident driver but sitting in that car i was as nervous as anything, so dont worry being nervous is natural.

My advice is don't worry about maps or figuring out where they are taking you, just focus on the driving. They will give you plenty of warning where you need to turn etc.

And remember, make sure you check all your mirrors. Make it painfully obvious. I thought i did and they still told me i didnt check my mirrors enough.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 30-11-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 29-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Robbielee1991

Thanks, I'd say I'm a confident driver. And I've spent well over $400 bucks on driving lessons in the past week. But I always hear of people instant failing for the most stupid reasons, like other people honking there horns at them and being 1 cm away from the curb in parallel parking.

All the money is going to racv and it's ridiculous.
Old 29-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
hodge_williams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate dont stress, none of that is true. They will have multiple routes and you usually get either parallel or 3pt turn.
Old 29-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyj View Post
make sure you check all your mirrors like a spastic on speed. Make it painfully obvious.
yes, don't just look for traffic with your eyes, move your head so the tester can see it.
Maybe you'll be lucky like my sister who got to do her parallel park behind a police car
Old 29-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
adz193
EL XR6

Just constantly check all 3 mirrors before you indicicate and watch your speed/school zones. Don't stress over it too much mate

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
This user likes this post:
Old 29-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyj
And remember, make sure you check all your mirrors like a spastic on speed. Make it painfully obvious. I thought i did and they still told me i didnt check my mirrors enough.
I second this, they said exactly the same thing about me.

Just try to stay calm (hard I know) so that you dont make any silly rash decisions if something unexpected pops up.

And dont worry if you do fail for some reason, just try again. The only limit is your bank balance.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Old 29-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
jmak44

take your time don't rush, exaggerate your middle mirror checking and back your ability you will be fine.
Old 29-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down where is the 'dislike' button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbielee1991 View Post
Hi all,

On Wednesday at 3.30pm I've booked for my p's in Melton, Victroria. What I've come to ask for is a map of Melton with the route marked out for study lol.

Could this be possible if anyone remembers or could help me find relative information online? Nervous as ****!
As a former (heavy vehicle) licence tester I am astonished that you would publicly declare that you are happy to cheat to get your licence. Drive appropriately and you will get your licence

Where is the 'dislike' button?
Old 29-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

Your tester will know you will be nervous so do not stress, concentrate on doing your test and you should be right.

Good luck.
Old 29-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: where is the 'dislike' button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
As a former (heavy vehicle) licence tester I am astonished that you would publicly declare that you are happy to cheat to get your licence. Drive appropriately and you will get your licence

That isn't cheating, in fact if you do lessons in the area which you will be going for your test, the driving instructor will often take you out on some of the routes assessors take. I did about 4 different routes with the instructor before I went for my test. Chill out.

My advice, a STOP sign is not a give-way sign. An obvious one but I have heard lots of people failing because the wheels were still slightly in motion.
Old 29-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I failed on my first test when I touched one of the poles that were used to mark the parking bay in which you had to carry out a reverse park.

The instructor told me that he had a feeling I would fail as, from his experience, any student that never touched the poles in any of their lessons inevitably did so during their test. Perhaps he shoudl have told me to hit one of the poles during one of the lessons to have removed that voodoo

After I passed on the second attempt, the instructor told me that Vicroads had since found out that the parking bay was incorrectly dimensioned. The length between the poles was right, but it was wider than a standard carpark, making it much harder to get the reverse park right compared to a real car park. I didn't feel so bad after that.

With respect to the mirror thing, the street in which the reverse park bay was located is a one way street. When I approached the intersection at the end of that road, I apparently didn't look both ways before proceeding through the intersection. I knew I had, but there was no way I could convince the assessor. So, in the second test, I exagerated every mirror movement (as has been suggested by others) and I never got pinged once for not looking in my mirrors. So make sure you do that, as it needs to be plainly obvious to the assessor that you are using them.

I'm sure you don't need it, but good luck anyway. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 29-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
Robbielee1991

Default Re: where is the 'dislike' button

Quote:

I didn't know it was cheating, if it is, I apologies for my ignorance. I was more thinking it was like everyoter test o do and study lol.

I have another hour drive on Monday with racv and another hour drive before we do the test, so I should be ok.

21 an no licence, what a shame lol.
Old 29-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
Robbielee1991

All I was doing was what I payed drive schools to tell, but for free.
Old 29-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One would hope that driving schools aren't teaching you the test routes, if they are then they should be dobbed in. Tell me by PM who they are and I will dob them in.
Old 29-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #16
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One would hope that driving schools aren't teaching you the test routes, if they are then they should be dobbed in. Tell me by PM who they are and I will dob them in.
In Geelong, you rarely see driving instructor's cars with L plates up unless you are in areas in which the tests take place. Coincidence? I think not. This is so widespread that it has become a non-issue.
Old 29-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
Robbielee1991

Quote:
That's bassicly all they are doing now. Especially the pass first time garuntee company's. The only thing they teach is how to prepare and pass your p's. That being said, I'm not a dog snitch so I don't think telling you would help anyone. (Not being a smartass or anything, it's just not me).

I'ts get what you pay for these days, that's why I switched too racv. They actually teach you how to drive like your own father would.
Old 29-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58 View Post
In Geelong, you rarely see driving instructor's cars with L plates up unless you are in areas in which the tests take place. Coincidence? I think not. This is so widespread that it has become a non-issue.
for me it is an issue for all the reasons robbie said in his post just below yours.

Teaching kids to pass a test is a **** act on society, they should be teaching them to drive to keep them alive, it actually doesn't take that much more, I know, I did a fair old stint teaching kids to drive back in the late 80's early 90's.

I taught a young bloke to drive a semi back in the late 80's eraly 90's, he died when he rolled his truck over a few weeks later, I was ******* devastated and felt responsible, Vicroads did the testing, not me. He was a good driver, which was the sad part, just over confident
Old 29-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
Robbielee1991

Quote:
for me it is an issue for all the reasons robbie said in his post just below yours.

Teaching kids to pass a test is a **** act on society, they should be teaching them to drive to keep them alive, it actually doesn't take that much more, I know, I did a fair old stint teaching kids to drive back in the late 80's early 90's.

I taught a young bloke to drive a semi back in the late 80's eraly 90's, he died when he rolled his truck over a few weeks later, I was ******* devastated.

By all means in your own pleasure follow up and do your own research, but being common practice I didnt think I was 'cheating' and I doubt in anyway it's illegal.

But if you want to pretend to be a 17 year old and email some of Thursday company's asking for test route maps or something maybe that'd be a start to your investigation lol. It'd be fun to hear what they say too.
Old 29-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #20
Robbielee1991

Some of these company's* not Thursday. My phone is being funny to me
Old 29-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #21
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbielee1991 View Post
and I doubt in anyway it's illegal.
If Vicroads found out they would be very very unhappy, they would/could remove his authority to be a driving instructor, remember I was a tester once upon a time
Old 29-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #22
Robbielee1991

Quote:
If Vicroads found out they would be very very unhappy, they would/could remove his authority to be a driving instructor, remember I was a tester once upon a time
Would you be angry if I told you one time I was doing a lesson and the instructor actually fell asleep for most of my lesson lol.
Old 29-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It wouldn't surprise me, not make me angry, obviously pouring his heart and soul into the job, taking road safety serious - NOT!!!

I would have jammed on the brakes and screamed out "****"
Old 29-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #24
strobe

I failed first time because apparently I was too confident and comfortable in what I was doing. So I guess act overly nervous?
Old 29-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #25
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe View Post
I failed first time because apparently I was too confident and comfortable in what I was doing. So I guess act overly nervous?
That was the excuse? What a load of crap. Unless you were driving one handed, seat right back just chillin

I was not nervous for my test. The instructor seamed pretty cool. I just drove the way I always did and pasted pretty easy. My test was at 3:30pm near Newcastle CBD. Not the most laid back time and place, but it was pretty easy overall.

@ OP Just make sure you do all the things you were taught. Not sure what else we can tell you.
Old 29-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #26
strobe

Yeah, I'd had some lessons, my instructor was more upset than I was and tore the examiner a new back passage. I went back the next week...no problems second time round (different examiner!).
Old 29-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #27
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

My test was pretty easy. It was at 8AM so school zones were in place but we didn't go through any. My instructor was a cruisy guy and we just chatted about cars the whole time while I just drove around.
Old 29-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #28
Robbielee1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
That was the excuse? What a load of crap. Unless you were driving one handed, seat right back just chillin

I was not nervous for my test. The instructor seamed pretty cool. I just drove the way I always did and pasted pretty easy. My test was at 3:30pm near Newcastle CBD. Not the most laid back time and place, but it was pretty easy overall.

@ OP Just make sure you do all the things you were taught. Not sure what else we can tell you.
I've got it booked at 3.30pm in a school zone. I hope the ****** mums picking up there kids and doing stupid **** in general doesn't **** me over. I'd be really ****ed off if I failed because some sheller is trying to race home to watch days of our lives.
Old 29-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #29
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Wear a suit... I passed after a single lesson because while I got 1 mark away from failing, he passed me because he "felt safe". Your attitude to driving should be on display, as well as the driving.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 29-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
Robbielee1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6 View Post
Wear a suit... I passed after a single lesson because while I got 1 mark away from failing, he passed me because he "felt safe". Your attitude to driving should be on display, as well as the driving.
Mmm, I heard it's going to be 38 degrees on that day, and I'll be driving from 2.30-5.30. Going to get mighty stinky in slacks and jacket.
Closed Thread