Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 06:40 AM   #15721
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Looks like the sh#ts hitting the fan in NZ after the longest lockdown of our largest city theres a break out in Raglan and Kawhia a couple of little surfy towns on the west coast and Karapiro (close to Cambridge) rumour has it....gang members doing drug deals

So that will be easy to contain

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 10:00 AM   #15722
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Sorry to see more big case numbers for Victoria, I hope it turns the corner soon. Good on them for prompt disclosure of the statistics, not saving the data as a para-political asset for press conferences.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #15723
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Well, the new NSW Premier is certainly showing he's prepared to make changes early in his term.

The interesting one for me is the rumoured changes to mask wearing requirements in the workplace. That has already attracted some mixed responses, especially from health professionals!

I guess we'll need to wait to get more details on that one.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 07-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #15724
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Noticed the other day Dan Andrews is still blaming NSW for all their problems, I wonder what the count is up to now? Must be in the hundreds.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #15725
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Well, the new NSW Premier is certainly showing he's prepared to make changes early in his term.

The interesting one for me is the rumoured changes to mask wearing requirements in the workplace. That has already attracted some mixed responses, especially from health professionals!

Can't see an issue with it when 80-90% is reached. 70% may be a bit early. This is the only reason why I wouldn't want to go back into the office. Our work is already planning for back to office working later on in the year, but if this rule remains, I shall refuse.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #15726
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Vic records second highest daily tally of 1638 cases.
That puts us back above the predictive trend.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #15727
slowsnake
Banned

So the Children's Cancer Ward in Victoria has been invaded by a possible covid contact visitor!...and the parents of some can't go near their sick kids, give me a break, how does that happen, and straight off Ch 2's morning live news!
Old 07-10-2021, 11:51 AM   #15728
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post

My wife tells me he was questioned as to the whereabouts of Dr Chant
Old 07-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #15729
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
So the Children's Cancer Ward in Victoria has been invaded by a possible covid contact visitor!...and the parents of some can't go near their sick kids, give me a break, how does that happen, and straight off Ch 2's morning live news!
that is the BIG problem with DELTA, people can be infectious and not have symptoms
Old 07-10-2021, 12:01 PM   #15730
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
It’s borderline political comment but I feel concern about the significant changes (per statements by the NSW Premier today) about to impact on Sydney. It feels like a huge shift from a consensus-driven narrative of relative caution, to the relentless imprimatur of an idealogue. If there is overreach and diagnosed cases explode, it will be so much harder to rein in.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #15731
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
That he was, today he decided to front and centre with own team it seems.
I suppose wishing to stamp his foot print without the medical team.
No big deal imo....

Here's some brief on the subject :
Mr Perrottet said he met “for some time” with NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant and Health Minister Brad Hazzard yesterday and had “a great relationship” with the state’s most senior health official.

When a reporter asked Mr Perrottet why a representative was not present given it is a health crisis, the new premier replied: “Well, it’s also an economic crisis as well.

“We’re the elected officials,” he said, justifying this morning’s all-minister press conference line-up.

Asked if the ministry’s public health team approved of the doubling of caps household gatherings, weddings and funerals as of next week from what was initially announced, Mr Hazzard said “of course” they did.

“We wouldn’t be doing anything if it wasn’t [approved],” he said.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 07-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #15732
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It’s borderline political comment but I feel concern about the significant changes (per statements by the NSW Premier today) about to impact on Sydney. It feels like a huge shift from a consensus-driven narrative of relative caution, to the relentless imprimatur of an idealogue. If there is overreach and diagnosed cases explode, it will be so much harder to rein in.
well CB I've expressed the concerns of what may occur once opening long before But the light at the end of the tunnel has to move ahead.
Living with it, ok vax's are up, restrictions have been tweaked as we've seen but in the big picture its up to the individual right ?
How careful you are, keep your pratcies up, I know our family will whereas others will be more liberal.
Their risk, I expect more so the millineals.
Oct 25 on I'm not a fan of making face masks optional in office buildings for eg.
I work in no office building but my small business office we employ 7/10 people and our directive is maintaining to wear masks for sometime yet.
We're distanced well but I'm not taking any chances, only one left not vaxxed yet, and if he doesn't soon its up to him, either your in or I'm afraid your out.

On another point for all, a question ?
Are you welcoming family into your house who are non vaxxed ?
What about friends ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 07-10-2021, 12:19 PM   #15733
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

NSW/VIC

NSW records 587 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 0.9741 (from 0.9570) while the actual line remains level with the predictive trend line and based on the 3rd order polynomial, that trend line has a downward curve.

VIC records 1,638 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 1.0920 (from 1.839) while the actual line is slightly above the predictive trend.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 07-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #15734
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
that is the BIG problem with DELTA, people can be infectious and not have symptoms
Trev, if I was going to visit someone in a cancer ward child or adult I would be well aware where I was, and, take every precaution under the sun to protect the immune deficient kiddies from any germs, or diseases I may or may not be carrying, even a sniffle would keep me away!
Surely there are protocols in place for visitors, especially in this covid climate, I'm gobsmacked, I really am!
Old 07-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #15735
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
That he was, today he decided to front and centre with own team it seems.
I suppose wishing to stamp his foot print without the medical team.
No big deal imo....

Here's some brief on the subject :
Mr Perrottet said he met “for some time” with NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant and Health Minister Brad Hazzard yesterday and had “a great relationship” with the state’s most senior health official.

When a reporter asked Mr Perrottet why a representative was not present given it is a health crisis, the new premier replied: “Well, it’s also an economic crisis as well.

“We’re the elected officials,” he said, justifying this morning’s all-minister press conference line-up.

Asked if the ministry’s public health team approved of the doubling of caps household gatherings, weddings and funerals as of next week from what was initially announced, Mr Hazzard said “of course” they did.

“We wouldn’t be doing anything if it wasn’t [approved],” he said.
I believe that NSW is different from Victoria & QLD in that the CHO has a significant role due to emergency provisions but in NSW the CHO is for advice only. Hazzard has the power
Old 07-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #15736
slowsnake
Banned

All Australian politicians, State or Federal are right out of their depth, non upon taking their "oath of office" would ever of expected to have to actually deal with anything other than the day to day affairs of office!

But Covid-19 poked it's nose in and changed all that, now we get to separate the wheat from the chaff, the men from the boys, they are all drowning in something that is entirely out of their league, some can handle the pressure and most can't, but they hang in not to be useful to the community or society as a whole, but to keep their cushy jobs, with an absolute minimum of input!

We have only a handful of hundreds willing to make any statements to the media lest they screw up and lose their place, so they are quiet like field mice, all hoping it will just go away, all back checking social media accounts just hoping they have not mentioned something in the past, anything that may turn around and bite them on the ****!

Last edited by slowsnake; 07-10-2021 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Autospell
Old 07-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #15737
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post

A friend asked me the other day (which I thought was a reasonable question), as to why the daily case numbers always seem to frequently trend in a "zig-zag" pattern.

Why up and down, if Delta is so infectious, and not just straight upwards?

High case numbers one day, lower the next day, then back up again, etc.

I thought of a few possible explanations which may or may not be correct;

1. Daily test numbers vary each day.

2. Certain days like weekends, show lower numbers, because people go and get tested less than weekdays maybe?

3. Once a person is infected, they may not show symptoms in the first few days.

4. If a Covid positive person infects another person, again, it may take days for them to realise symptoms and or get tested.

5. Test results take longer on some days to establish, because of staff levels or workloads.

Obviously, large public gatherings (like protests) can cause higher spikes, but that may not fully account for the daily spikes weeks after those events.

What are everyone's thoughts? ... Open for discussion.

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 07-10-2021 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-10-2021, 12:48 PM   #15738
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT October 6th 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

2,026 new cases for Australia and 22 deaths so the CMR is 1.170%.

42 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.607%.

The UK had 38,675 cases yesterday and 143 deaths for a CMR of 1.715%.

121,126 new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,264 deaths sees CMR at 1.618%.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 237M, the last 1M in 2 days;
The UK passes 8M cases;

Singapore (3,577)

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while Israel and Cuba drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #15739
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post

What about friends ?
Good question.

Will it be socially acceptable to ask if you are vaccinated? Will it be like asking what you earn? Will it break up families? Will it cause friendships, possibly long-term friendships, to end?
Old 07-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #15740
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Good question.

Will it be socially acceptable to ask if you are vaccinated? Will it be like asking what you earn? Will it break up families? Will it cause friendships, possibly long-term friendships, to end?
That's a loaded question!...
As in 12 gauge or .410.......
Old 07-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #15741
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
A friend asked me the other day (which I thought was a reasonable question), as to why the daily case numbers always seem to frequently trend in a "zig-zag" pattern.
I'm not sure that there are any explanations besides the ones you suggested. Certainly weekends do change the testing and case numbers a bit. If anything, the NSW data has been even spikier and there have been some big percentage gains and losses in a single day throughout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
What about friends ?
Short answer is no we won't. With one high risk person in the household and both of us over 60, if anyone who regularly visits (and that's not many) wants to be unvaccinated that's fine but we aren't taking the risk of them exposing us even when we are fully vaccinated. It's a smaller risk at that point but frankly not worth taking.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 01:15 PM   #15742
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Good question.

Interesting question.

In my business, which involves going into people's homes, customers are ringing up our office to book appointments (for after lockdown).

Many are now requesting that they will only allow fully vaccinated staff or contractors from our company into their homes. And these requests are increasing each day.

While our business has not mandated that we are all vaccinated, and are pro-choice, they have told us, that obviously, due to "market forces" we will get less work if we are not vaccinated.

So they have requested that if we are fully vaccinated, that we give them a copy of our vaccination certificate as proof, and send only those that are vaccinated out to clients who have specifically requested only vaccinated staff.

So it seems that consumers are already asking the question without thought as to it being socially acceptable or not.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #15743
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post

Short answer is no we won't. With one high risk person in the household and both of us over 60, if anyone who regularly visits (and that's not many) wants to be unvaccinated that's fine but we aren't taking the risk of them exposing us even when we are fully vaccinated. It's a smaller risk at that point but frankly not worth taking.
How are you going to know for sure that they are vaccinated? Even if you ask, they could always just lie?
Old 07-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #15744
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone is welcome at my place, vaxed or unvaxed. Vaccinated can still carry it so if I was worried about getting covid I would make everybody vaxed or not, have a covid test. The vast majority will be vaxed anyway so you will probably be more likely to get it from a vaxed person in the future anyway.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #15745
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
How are you going to know for sure that they are vaccinated? Even if you ask, they could always just lie?
Russell's front door border control... "Vaccination certificate please!"
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #15746
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

While I think it’s in peoples’ interests to be vaccinated against coronavirus - and encourage them where suitable - I consider choice to reflect their dogma; any risk with no vaccination is largely upon them. Prevalent in my attitude to visitors, too, is Devarim (Deuteronomy) 10:19, since I mentioned dogma.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:38 PM   #15747
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Trev, if I was going to visit someone in a cancer ward child or adult I would be well aware where I was, and, take every precaution under the sun to protect the immune deficient kiddies from any germs, or diseases I may or may not be carrying, even a sniffle would keep me away!
Surely there are protocols in place for visitors, especially in this covid climate, I'm gobsmacked, I really am!
The visitor was a parent who unknowingly had covid; big ask to tell parents to keep away from their very sick children who want the parents at their bedside.
Maybe hospitals should hold rapid antigen test for visitors.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #15748
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Russell's front door border control... "Vaccination certificate please!"
well well well.... seems like Bill Gates was onto something with the chip idea. Imagine if people could just use NFC on their phone to alert them if someone close by was a non conformist....

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.

Last edited by T3rminator; 07-10-2021 at 01:48 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 01:44 PM   #15749
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

I can see it catching on ...

Added to existing front door signs;
  • No Junk mail
  • Security alarm installed
  • Beware of dog
  • No Hawkers

2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 01:50 PM   #15750
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The raw CMR's for the 3 States with 2021 outbreaks are quite dissimilar:

Victoria is 0.249%, NSW 0.639% and the ACT 0.559% but the adjusted CMR's are a lot closer with Victoria at 0.648%, NSW 0.778% and the ACT 0.880%, bearing in mind that the adjusted CMR is an arbitrary calculation based on the confirmed cases excluding the last 14 days. We won't know what the real figures are until we get back to low case / death numbers.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 07-10-2021 at 01:57 PM.
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread