Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 22-04-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
mick.wheelz

Default Getting in to drag racing

Hi,

I would like to know what the rules/regs, etc are for breakout racing (they have it at beneraby raceway) and what sort of cars you can run

thanks
mick
Old 22-04-2005, 09:21 PM   #2
eb six on boost
NO CARBON TAX

its called bracket racing, meaning car must run in desingnated time bracket.
eg super street is 11.00 - 12.99.
not sure times you do or what classes that track has
Atomic performance engine, powerglide, coan converter, gtx55 turbo, 2000hp plazmaman water to air, 100mm throttle body, twin 50mm gates, side exit exhausts, 18 x 2200cc injectors, ems 8860 and race dash.......
7.83 @ 177 MPH

1100+ rwhp @ 40psi

the first 7 second sohc ! eat it

1993 eb falcon 15.4 @ 90mph (tow car)
eb six on boost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I thought Break out racing is just Dial your Own..
You nominate a time and the idea is to get as close to that time without going under it. ie not to break-out. That time is your "Dial-In"
So although you are racing the guy in the other lane to a degree you are really trying to get your nominated time. The closest to their Dial-In wins and goes to the next round.. You can race anything and everything because although the cars ET might be mismatched you are racing against your own estimate of what time you will do.

Its kinda hard to explain :(

For example:-
You have a PB of 15.80 but you constistantly run around the 16.00 seconds.. You would make your dial-in around 15.9.. LEts say the car in the other lane has a Dial-In of 12.00 seconds.. You stage and your lane goes green 3.9 secs before his.. This time delayed start is so you both 'should' get to the finish line together.
At the other end you run 16.05 and he runs 12.3... You win because you were closer to your dial in. But lets say you run 15.8 on your 15.9, you would lose because you "broke out"

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 09:24 PM   #4
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Unhappy

But then maybe reading EB's post its not what I thought

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 12:15 PM   #5
mick.wheelz

Thanks, i know how bracket racing works, i want to know what sort of cars you can run, (i am thinking of running a stripped out xe) and if there is a maximum ET (i dont think the xe will do any better than about 15sec) to run
Old 23-04-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
I thought Break out racing is just Dial your Own..
You nominate a time and the idea is to get as close to that time without going under it. ie not to break-out. That time is your "Dial-In"
So although you are racing the guy in the other lane to a degree you are really trying to get your nominated time. The closest to their Dial-In wins and goes to the next round.. You can race anything and everything because although the cars ET might be mismatched you are racing against your own estimate of what time you will do.

Its kinda hard to explain :(

For example:-
You have a PB of 15.80 but you constistantly run around the 16.00 seconds.. You would make your dial-in around 15.9.. LEts say the car in the other lane has a Dial-In of 12.00 seconds.. You stage and your lane goes green 3.9 secs before his.. This time delayed start is so you both 'should' get to the finish line together.
At the other end you run 16.05 and he runs 12.3... You win because you were closer to your dial in. But lets say you run 15.8 on your 15.9, you would lose because you "broke out"
It works on reaction times too say his reaction was a .050 light(the 12 sec car) and yours was .500 light, you would lose.

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby123
It works on reaction times too say his reaction was a .050 light(the 12 sec car) and yours was .500 light, you would lose.
You would win that. 0.050 = red light

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2005, 11:06 AM   #8
FTE19
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wheel_man
Thanks, i know how bracket racing works, i want to know what sort of cars you can run, (i am thinking of running a stripped out xe) and if there is a maximum ET (i dont think the xe will do any better than about 15sec) to run

You would find at your smaller dragstrips like Gladstone's , they would have a class for you to fit in , just contact them ! _2:
Old 30-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
MadManz

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wheel_man

No major drag strip to my knowledge has a bracket for that, mainly because when people are payin 40 bux to get in they dont wanna see a 15 sec car go down the track! andra's slowest bracket is 10.990 to 12.990 i think! dont quote me. but that is close

All you can run at is a street meet where u turn up and run ur own time, you dont dial ur time in, its simply when the light goes green then step on the loud pedal and get to the line without blowing up!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2005, 01:55 AM   #10
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw

Not in many places any more Dan... NHRA have gone to a 0.000 light, as they reackon it was hard for newb's to learn the .400 system. We also use it here at the KM

Toby

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2005, 08:28 AM   #11
Stampy

Try this site it may have some usefull info there is a drag racing link in the last paragrath

http://www.willowbank-raceway.com.au/
Old 01-05-2005, 01:33 PM   #12
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Get all the new info here..
http://www.andra.com.au/
RULES / POLICY AMENDMENTS IN PLACE FOR 2005/2006 ANDRA DRAG RACING SEASON – 19/4/2005
New brackets, classes and handicap system due for September introduction.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 09:20 PM   #13
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

MadManz - Heathcote and AIR both run dial-in braket racing during street meets. I entered one and came runner up at the Heathcote FF day in November last year and my car isn't exactly a rocketship.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2005, 01:43 AM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Willowbank run those too, I blew my first one the other day.
Old 14-05-2005, 11:05 AM   #15
NOT 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
Not at WSID in Sydney. Perfect light= .000