Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

Default Beware ..40kph areas

Couldn't believe today. When you see road works, who honestly slows down to 40? anyway, today in Brissy there were road works for approx 100 metres.
The speed dropped from 80 to 40 ...and there were police with speed guns on both sides of the road at each end!!!...pulling over everybody(almost).
Safety not revenue? not while my butt points to the ground.

Old 22-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
macca13

Try working in roadworks with cars flashing by at 80 or even 60 and say its not safety even if the vehicle are a distance away they can still throw out crap from the tyres.
And yes I am one the annoying people that slow down because I have been on the other side of the barriers.
macca13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This was an advertised introduction to road working areas earlier this year or late last year due to the amount of road workers deaths / injuries that have increased in the last few years.

I think everyone should slow down to the required posted speed personally & think serves people right if they are getting booked. If you have ever known someone or their family that is a road worker that has been injured, killed or injured to the point they won't work again and maybe never walk again, seen the suffering from all concerned, you would applaud the Police pulling speeding motorists over.

Just my opinion after the things have seen families go through.

Oh and I too am one of those that slow down there, and it makes my blood boil when I see idiots that don't!
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca13
Try working in roadworks with cars flashing by at 80 or even 60 and say its not safety even if the vehicle are a distance away they can still throw out crap from the tyres.
And yes I am one the annoying people that slow down because I have been on the other side of the barriers.
Yes when there are workers on the road it is very important to slow down. On the other hand when the 40km signs are left out over the weekend and the work that was being done was slashing or brush cutting or line painting and there is no danger whatsoever, slowing down is a pain.

Is also very environmentally vandalistic as you use million of extra litres of petrol,increase the greenhouse gases by 120 percent, kill koalas and cause baby whales to get lost.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Shounak

Exactly. If they really want people to stop speeding in roadworks zones, they should stop crying wolf.

I'm sick of seeing 80kmh zones that are reduced to 40/60. Outside my street is a main road I've been doing 80kmh on forever. However, due to them doing some work over 500metres away, a huge stretch of the road has somehow been brought down to 60.

As if the locals do 60 on a road they've always done 80 on, without any road worker in sight.

Better than SA I guess, there they have 25km/h limit in some places. I was tempted to just get out of the car and push it, although I'd probably get done for speeding if i did.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
jason71
google is my friend

Here in NSW they have a sign stating that the worksight speed sign speeds are enforceable.
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
desGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
Couldn't believe today. When you see road works, who honestly slows down to 40?
Bugger, I do. Get a lot of complaints (horns) from irate drivers too. I should review my actions as it probably costing me huge amounts of time.

For example, 1k in an 80kph area takes 45 seconds at 80, or 90 seconds at 40. So for a 2k road work area, it is costing me an extra 1.5 minutes. Damn, that is so cruel.
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yes when there are workers on the road it is very important to slow down. On the other hand when the 40km signs are left out over the weekend and the work that was being done was slashing or brush cutting or line painting and there is no danger whatsoever, slowing down is a pain.

Is also very environmentally vandalistic as you use million of extra litres of petrol,increase the greenhouse gases by 120 percent, kill koalas and cause baby whales to get lost.....
What he said
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 08:15 PM   #9
The Monty
Just slidin'

I do, as I go through them EVERY weekday morning on the way to work, and not one, but two or three, for K's at a time (gateway northbound southside for those that know) and when you are one of the only cars on the road, you know you are being watched. The fun part is where it ends, and you have little 18 yo in thier pulsars trying to use your boot as a hood ornament, and he goes to overtake you where it goes from 40-100, and you pull away quicker than he can put on his makeup.
Old 22-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, put yourself in the road workers shoes. Would you want cars flying by at 80km/h when the only thing that stands between you and a car is a plastic witches hat?
Slow down for road works.

Yes, the signs left out over the weekend sucks. I have to drive through major roadworks for about 5-10kms every day to get to the train station, but I still slow down. I leave 5 minutes earlier so I can still catch my train.
Old 22-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Yes, the signs left out over the weekend sucks. I have to drive through major roadworks for about 5-10kms every day to get to the train station, but I still slow down. I leave 5 minutes earlier so I can still catch my train.
Yes but for most people 5 minutes early is just too hard, isn't it.

Seriously, even if the roadworks sites speed limits were taken back to 100 or what ever during the weekend and at night people would still be speeding through them.
Old 22-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

From the road works i've come across over the years, the only time they drop it down to 40 is if they have a lollypop person somewhere along the road works.

There is a reason why they slow the traffic down, if you cant find or understand the reason I feel sorry for you. Yeah it's annoying, so is being barreled down by an impatient git speeding through your work space.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Revenue when police cover a 40 zone with workers doing their thing? Are you kidding?

Yes, I slow to 40 in those zones. It was rather annoying that cruise control in the BA was 40 or above, I'd kick it to 45 then hit the - a couple of times.

No sympathy for those that got 'revenued'.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #14
FPV GT40
Banned

How can it be considered revenue raising???

Just because some people choose to donate does not make it revenue raising, it is entirely up to you, there are signs there telling you the limit, if you are too simple to understand what the signs mean then you deserve to pay.

And yes I too have done road work, and from time to time still spend time working on roads seperated by some witches hats from cars not sticking to 40km/hr...very scary at times.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FFS it isnt that hard to obey obvious speed instructions, donations to revenue raising are'nt compulsory.. that is unless you're a bit thick.

Old 22-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #16
boss-290

LOL @ Thread Starter

Its like you that tailgate me at road work areas and school zones, ey?

Bloody hell.
Old 22-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #17
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

I admit i DO slow down but, from 80 to 40 instantly is a joke. Plus the workers were at least 1 lane plus barricades plus another 30 metres from the slow down zone!!!
Old 22-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #18
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
Couldn't believe today. When you see road works, who honestly slows down to 40? anyway, today in Brissy there were road works for approx 100 metres.
The speed dropped from 80 to 40 ...and there were police with speed guns on both sides of the road at each end!!!...pulling over everybody(almost).
Safety not revenue? not while my butt points to the ground.
I love it when the cops actually enforce the speed limits especaily when idiots speed through roadworks, how many times I have had a broken window because of people speeding in roadworks in almost uncountable :p. You have guys walking all over the road doing the "work" 40 is a fair speed and that's what you should do, the posted limit is th eposted limit and that's just how it is. Anything more and your ****ing people off when you fling stones at them. This is the one thing I hate most about bad highway drivers, it's way worse than high beams or fog lights
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #19
xy500
Constant annoyance

far out, i've gotta say i'm impressed by the childishness of the poster.
same as any bloody other limit, you speed, cop the consequences! i don't care if you reckon you dont need to go that slow, thats the law and the price you pay to live in such a lucky country, get some tissues and have a cry. :
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #20
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

So are you annoyed or amazed at police doing their job?

People getting pulled over for speeding? Expect it to happen when you break the law...

Almost everybody? Doesn't matter - 1 person speeding, 10 people speeding. Speeding is speeding, and good on them for getting everyone that was speeding...

I speed through road works often enough (the part for about 1km where roadworks hasn't even started), and I won't cry one bit if I got done, cause I know that I am taking a risk.

Saw a guy yesterday pull up next to a fully marked cop car in a roadwork zone at a redlight. The guy sped off when the light went green... Guess what happened? Cop put his lights on and pulled the idiot over...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 05:42 AM   #21
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

I'm one of those 'annoying' people that slow down & do the posted limit at road works.
I get cars & trucks sitting up my bum or flying past but I'll do what the sign stipulates until I see another sign that advises me otherwise.
Old 23-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #22
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wanna get one of those bumper stickers that says "Suburban Pace Car"

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #23
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

One of my favorite topics....

Here in SA we have Pt Wakefield Rd, a usually 90km/h stretch, held to 60 and 40 zones for a good 10-15kms. Usually a quick way to work and home, currently not so quick, but flows well.

Anyway, nightly and every morning I climb in there and throw on cruise at the relevant speed. Every day, I usually see ONE car amongst the many sitting near the limit also, with everybody else varying b/w a bit over, to well over. Always some tool dodging and weaving also, usually driving something predictable. What disturbs me more are the number of heavy vehicles up to B doubles exceeding the limits, hammering up yer rear and doing quick lane changes to dodge around you.

Well I dont pretend to have 'far' vision, or predict why the signs are there. But I have RESPECT for the guys doing the work, and occasionally respect for the simple fact the reduced limits are there due road conditions.

Sign is a sign and it doesnt kill anyone to simply obey them, rather than read into a situation what you may like to suit your desired speed....the very fact it leads to so much variation in vehicles speed adds a sweet variable to the accident equation that isnt normally there. Not being able to predict speeds around you is damn dangerous in unusual road conditions.

Your time is of the same value as everyone elses...no more, no less. Slow down.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #24
Turboconvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
One of my favorite topics....

Here in SA we have Pt Wakefield Rd, a usually 90km/h stretch, held to 60 and 40 zones for a good 10-15kms. Usually a quick way to work and home, currently not so quick, but flows well.

Anyway, nightly and every morning I climb in there and throw on cruise at the relevant speed. Every day, I usually see ONE car amongst the many sitting near the limit also, with everybody else varying b/w a bit over, to well over. Always some tool dodging and weaving also, usually driving something predictable. What disturbs me more are the number of heavy vehicles up to B doubles exceeding the limits, hammering up yer rear and doing quick lane changes to dodge around you.

Well I dont pretend to have 'far' vision, or predict why the signs are there. But I have RESPECT for the guys doing the work, and occasionally respect for the simple fact the reduced limits are there due road conditions.

Sign is a sign and it doesnt kill anyone to simply obey them, rather than read into a situation what you may like to suit your desired speed....the very fact it leads to so much variation in vehicles speed adds a sweet variable to the accident equation that isnt normally there. Not being able to predict speeds around you is damn dangerous in unusual road conditions.

Your time is of the same value as everyone elses...no more, no less. Slow down.
completely agree..... There are roadworks going on, they dont put these signs up for the simple aim to annoy you! Yes, it annoys me as well, going 40 in a 100 zone, but that doesnt mean I go at my own speed while this is going on. Better late than never! Dont think the fact that you can handle doing those kinda speeds in roadworks makes it acceptable. You have to account for changed road conditions, those working on the site and other vehicles who come accross the the roadworks as well (possibly other factors that I haven't thought of but you get the picture). If you think that the roadworks are going to make you late, than leave earlier (what a concept!). I am sorry if this offends people but that is my view!

Bf xr6 turbo sedan, 6 SP auto, Leather/suede interior
Turboconvert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #25
MOTORE
1969 Ford XW Project

Great to see that the majority of people here agree to doing the speed limit. If only the wider community of drivers agreed to do the same. I'm sure they too think it's a good idea but unfortunately many of these drivers exceed the limit particularly when there are roadworks.
MOTORE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #26
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

When there are workers doing their job, roadwork speed limits are more than understandable. Plod and his men can happily set up cameras or radar guns to enforce the speed limit. But, during the weekends when they aren't working, the signs should be put away or covered up and the original speed limit be restored.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #27
blackwood
FiSTed

Geez my whole suburb has been 40km/h for a good 20yrs now(except for one main road which is 60km/h).

If you can't handle 40 in roadworks then how would you go driving 'round here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Said on Mt Panorama
Man if this track were in America it would be illegal!
blackwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 09:01 AM   #28
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Latley i've been doin some regular highway driving(Near Kima to the Gong, ppl who do this will know the road works). So the limit is 100. Then the speed limits drop at the road works to 40kms.

Whats funny is that people that are doing 80odd(and the people doing over speed as well) in the 100zone that sit in the right lanes holding lots of people up. Once you get around them and into the road works zone back to your 40kms, They soon are sitting on your rear flashing lights, and carrying on!

I've only seen the police 2x in the last 2months of my travels. I wish I saw them every day!
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #29
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

hahaha lol ,
while its a very funny post ,i see the roadwork signs left uncovered all the time and on occasion cops hiding behind tree's nearby,thankfully most cops dont take advantage of these situations,
so they cant all be bad
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #30
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id say the signs are left out as (for actual road works atleast) the road is still dangerous, with railing all over the place, gravel etc and still not safe to do the 60/80 or whatever speed limit.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post