Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Default I like this legislation...

Soo, while flicking through the NSW road rules I found this nice little law.

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/ma...79+2008+cd+0+N

Quote:
145 Driver being overtaken not to increase speed

If a driver is overtaking another driver on a two-way road by crossing a dividing line, or crossing to the right of the centre of the road, the other driver must not increase the speed at which the driver is driving until the first driver:
(a) has passed the other driver, and
(b) has returned to the marked lane or line of traffic where the other driver is driving, and
(c) is a sufficient distance in front of the other driver to avoid a collision.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
Now this is legislation I like. Too bad most people haven't read it.

SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmm, I can't count the amount of times I've been stuck behind a slow driver, done the right thing, left a good gap, then proceeded to overtake when possible only to have the other car speed up considerably meaning I have to break the speed limit to get passed, or pull back in behind the car which then starts driving under the limit again.

I think a lot of people do it subconsciously. They don't realise they aren't driving at the posted limit until they see a car going past.

A bigger problem is when you overtake a car, only to have it FLY back past you at many km/h over the speed limit. At this point I don't care what they do as long as they don't pull back in front of me and start driving at the same speed they were previously. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Another rule that many people have not read (in Tasmania at least) is that you are meant to stick to the left hand lane at all times unless overtaking if the speed limit is higher than 80km/h (there are a few exceptions to that rule, such as needing to turn right)
Old 29-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha ! . my ol man struggles with that one
64 yr old driving his 460 b/b ranchero (at the speed limit) and a ricer wants to overtake him. makes e`m think twice

p/s only done on clear country roads and never much over the speed limit

Last edited by Mickxr8; 29-07-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: reread post. missed a bit
Mickxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #4
SteveJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper575
Another rule that many people have not read (in Tasmania at least) is that you are meant to stick to the left hand lane at all times unless overtaking if the speed limit is higher than 80km/h (there are a few exceptions to that rule, such as needing to turn right)
Its the same in NSW. They can put the signs up if they want you to follow that rule in a lower speed zone as well though.
Old 29-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

indeed its a good rule, nothing more frustrating than not being able to pass someone thats continually speeding up and slowing down, some blockheads will vary their speed 85 /95 kph on the single lane road , then when the overtakeing lane comes they speed up to a 100 kph, not as bad for cars, absolutely infuriating for a heavy truck limited to 100 kph.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

While the above may be true, it is also equally amazing that almost everyone overtaking
in this country exceed the speed limit and thinks that should be acceptable.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
While the above may be true, it is also equally amazing that almost everyone overtaking
It's not legal (not in qld at least) but that doesn't make it 'unsafe'. After all, based on which road laws the governments are choosing to enforce these days i'm not entirely sure if following the road rules is not increasing the road trauma.... But i will just stop there before this thread takes a bad direction shall I....

Needless to say i just completed a road trip of some 1700km from brisbane to cairns. If every road user obeyed that rule jpd80, the only outcoume would be slower and more frustrated (and risk taking) drivers. And concievably more dead motorists at that from head on accidents after failed dual cariageway overtaking menouevers..... After all, every k over is a killer.....

Putting on flame suit as we speak....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

had a bloody peanut thought he be smart and do this to me.. my beat up old diesel hilux didnt like him and let him know it.......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

One of many rules that people don't care to pay attention too.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #10
The Snout

I could get worked up at this kind of driver who constantly moved his speed up and down. These days I just simply take control of the situation before it takes control of me.

Basically meaning I don't mess around when overtaking. Unless the other driver violently accelerates they aren't going to be an issue to me. If the other driver can't make a decision on what speed they are doing, I'm not afraid to make the decision for them.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah because being stuck out on the wrong side of the road and having a head on is so much safer . Wake up.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Well considering you are driving headlong into the opposite direction of the traffic flow whilst overtaking I do think it acceptable to take steps to minimize time spent in the wrong lane.

A flat straight country this is generally not.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Went for a trip down to NSW to pick up my new toy a couple of weeks ago and I have to say, compared to QLD people seems to move the hell over a lot quicker!

Generally highway manners (just south of the border at least) seemed a huge improvement on the QLD ones. Once back in QLD, the usual "oh sugar, someone is passing me *looks at speedo* oh well I better go 10k's faster than the speed limit, block him from merging and make it unsafe for him to drop back because he now has a line of cars behind him and someone trying to overtake me as well which means he can't even merge behind me"-syndrome
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper575

I think a lot of people do it subconsciously. They don't realise they aren't driving at the posted limit until they see a car going past.
I find it is one of two things:

(1) People dont like being overtaken. It offends them. Works them up.
(2) People have to be in front.
Old 29-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickxr8
haha ! . my ol man struggles with that one
64 yr old driving his 460 b/b ranchero (at the speed limit) and a ricer wants to overtake him. makes e`m think twice

p/s only done on clear country roads and never much over the speed limit
Sorry, but this really annoys me. This may not apply to your old man, but people think these days that they have to be the police when the police aren't around. They feel it is their civic duty to 'protect' their fellow man (or woman).

As such, they drive slow to keep people behind them slow, flash you to indicate there is a policeman ahead when there isn't one and do other dangerous things to keep everyone around them 'safe'.
Old 29-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #16
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
I find it is one of two things:

(1) People dont like being overtaken. It offends them. Works them up.
(2) People have to be in front.
or number 3 : could be in a bit of a dream world whilst still concentrating on the road ahead and becoming increasingly numb from sitting on 80 or 90 klms on a highway and don't realise they are now sitting on 70klms due to the said boredom and numbness

ohhh number 4: a little tired and/or just simply not in the mood for driving any longer but still have a wee little way to go before being able to actually stop; resting the loud pedal off a bit, then look at speedo whilst being overtaken and think 'ahhh crap, I'm way under, think 'sorry' to the person trying to overtake and just simply not considering that speeding up at that exact moment is a pretty stupid idea
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #17
glavas

i admit i have driven the speed limit or a couple kays under wait to be overtaken then bamm floor it. its quite funny i know its mean but i dont do it often. some people get very angry. oh well get a faster car i say.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #18
SteveJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
i admit i have driven the speed limit or a couple kays under wait to be overtaken then bamm floor it. its quite funny i know its mean but i dont do it often. some people get very angry. oh well get a faster car i say.
Its not funny when a car you have decided to overtake who were doing 80 put there foot down and accelerate, turning an easy overtake into a scary experience as you are on the wrong side of the road much longer.

It can turn something safe, with a lot of margin to a car coming the other way, into something very dangerous.
Old 29-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
One day you will do this to someone like me and I will overtake you easily and then brake test you harshly then I will get out and let you know how I really feel.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #20
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Quote:
Words simply fail me

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #21
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
you are kidding right?
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
I sincerely hope you do this to the wrong type of person one day as I suspect nothing said here will make you realize how extremely stupid you really are.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #23
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Glavas just throws this stuff out there and awaits a reaction I think
Old 29-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #24
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I think that comment was one of those "i'll just leave there here....." type things, we got trolled guys and gals

I think the most god awful thing that makes me want to get out the window and break mirrors off is when overtaking someone on a country road, they speed up before the overtaking lane and then slow back down once they're past it, anyone know of legislation regarding this?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #25
SteveJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
I think the most god awful thing that makes me want to get out the window and break mirrors off is when overtaking someone on a country road, they speed up before the overtaking lane and then slow back down once they're past it, anyone know of legislation regarding this?
Nothing in the NSW Legislation for overtaking lanes, only for overtaking on single lane roads.
Old 29-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #26
glavas

i no its not a nice thing to do but driving on country roads can be boring. ill try never to do it again guys i promiss.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #27
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
With that attitude you shouldn't have a licence.
You're quite happy to endanger the life of someone else so that you can play a game of "who's got the more powerful car"?
All offence glavas, you and those of your ilk are exactly the reason we have road rage, and have such horrific accidents.

For those of you who come across someone like a glavas, I recommend you simply get your camera phone, pass it to your passenger and get them to film the idiot playing chicken with overtaking. Make sure you film the number plate, and then show the police. Whilst he'll be guilty of dangerous driving and will get a fine, make it more interesting and stick footage of it on youtube. Hopefully the idiot will one day be recognised and then experience blatant disrespect the same as they have meted out against you.

Finally, people who have the intent of angering others on the road seriously have a problem with self esteem. The constant need to validate ones own importance or ability to influence others behaviour is rooted in the psyche of one wishing to possess his own mother. Oedipus issues I believe its called. In a nutshell, when someone does this to you its because they crave intimacy of their own mother. I know this because I read it on the back of a packet of corn flakes.

Quote: