Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-07-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Bang for Buck

As a potential buyer, if I consider where prices were, prior to the closure announcement, its very easy to get depressed.

And in truth, my mind has begun to wander, to things such as Old Jags... Recently, I even tried to imagine myself in a V8 Caprice (But my intestines sucked my genitals back inside my body, and I temporarily lost the power of speech.)

So I'd thought I'd have a bit of a hunt around carsales...

In truth, if locally produced big-iron is all you want, then there are plenty of Commodes at decent prices...

Around the $20~25k mark, will find a small selection of FG XR8s, with the Boss 290, and moderate kms, such as this:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...AG-AD-18963508

Ok, so widen the parameters beyond the Sacred Blue Oval, and let's see what there is? Short Answer, putting aside the aforementioned plethora of Commodes, not much.
I know the dear old Boss was maligned by some, but few others come close. The only other relatively common competitor is the venerable Hemi as found in Yeeps and the 300. (The great thing with the Jeep is that the 3.5T towing capacity actually allows you to tow the fuel-trailer.)

If you're prepared to sacrifice a few kw, then I must say the Nissans look an attractive proposition. I don't know a lot about them, but there are plenty of Skylines, and even a few Zs, with the 3.7l V6. Something like this:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-6741307

And apart from a few outliers, that's really about it.
There are certainly better cars. There are those that were better equipt, more modern or sophisticated, and even more powerful. But unless you find a clapped out one, or a true bargain, nothing in the same price bracket.